Thatcher Technology Group, LLC Reviews | Glassdoor

2.2
Dave Siembieda

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Nice work place"

I have been working at Thatcher Technology Group, LLC full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I am a software developer, and like to work here. We are using good technology. Smart people, and good environment
    Manager is humble and nice, co-workers are willing to help each. Everyone works hard

Cons

Working hour is not flexible. It seems that most people have to be here from 8AM - 5PM
    Need to submit time-sheet, and it is kind of annoying

2. "n/a"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Naperville, IL

I worked at Thatcher Technology Group, LLC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good people working were working there

Cons

CEO is what the rest of the review describe him to be.

Advice to Management

No advice, they have no options they do as they are told.

3. "Nothing positive to say"

I worked at Thatcher Technology Group, LLC full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I met some very nice people.

Cons

Too many to write. Very few pros, too many cons.

"Roller Coaster of Emotions"

I worked at Thatcher Technology Group, LLC full-time

Pros

Learn a lot quickly
    Many friendly people
    Complex issues to solve

Cons

Disorganized
    Chaotic
    Knee-jerk Reactions
    Older technologies being used

Advice to Management

Had the best of times and worst of times. It gets to a point where the chaos is no longer fun. Create some structure and enforce it to take the chaos down. It never feels good as an employee to try and follow process, only to be told to skip it so something can be done quicker, then talked to later about how the process needs to be followed.

"It's been 2 years since I voluntarily left for a new job and I still think about how awful it was almost every day"

I worked at Thatcher Technology Group, LLC full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Supply closet to raid
    snacks
    You won't feel bad about screwing up customer data because they are bad and deserve the bad things that happen to them

Cons

The clients are evil, and making the world a worse place by getting poor people to spend money they don't have to emotionally exploit their friends and relatives into buying crap that either does not work or is wildly over priced, and they still don't make any money. (they're all pyramid schemes, like arbonne) Working here helps make the world a worse place for everyone.

the worst part is the CEO, he doesn't listen to anyone, he yells a lot, he makes people work overtime a lot and then doesn't pay overtime, he blames others for his own failings, then occasionally tries to make it up to you or show appreciation with tokens no one cares about like an outing to play bumper cars or an order of pizza. it in no way makes up for all the extra hours and emotional and verbal abuse.

If you're going to try working as a BA, you are pretty much guaranteed to be fired within 90 days, 180 if you're unlucky. they went through 8 in less than a year and only hypothetically had 4 positions for them. If you're fresh out of college, looking for something to hold you over while waiting for something better to come along, it's not a bad place to start, just so you can know from the start of your career how bad a job can be.

Advice to Management

My advice is to the employees: form a union and force management to negotiate and give contracts, and treat you properly. You're powerful if you're united, but useless as individuals. He can't fire all of you. Strike and take what you deserve. Put the fear that he's put into you, into him.

6. "Stay Away - Not a place to grow professionally"

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Naperville, IL
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Naperville, IL

I worked at Thatcher Technology Group, LLC full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Casual work environment - Jeans every day and shorts in the summer

Nice coworkers - fellow employees were nice and easy to get along with.

Some free snacks

Pay was decent

Fitness center in the basement along with cafeteria - fitness center is a bit bigger than a hotel gym but is good for supplemental workouts in a pinch.

Formal 30/60/90 day reviews - it appeared that there were efforts to hear the employees concerns and get a true feel for performance and happiness.

Note that most pros from employees are non-work related.

Cons

I will preface that I was let go involuntarily. However, I was in the process of looking for a new job due to dissatisfaction with the company. Thatcher just beat me to the punch. I was hired and let go within three months. Note: I had 10 years of experience as a BA and have never encountered a company/process like this before. I am trying to be as straightforward as possible, while also providing scenarios that provide insight into what future employees may possibly face.

Upon applying to Thatcher, I read the reviews and was startled by what comments people were leaving. However, I always try to take negative reviews with a grain of salt since its mostly people who have negative experiences who post reviews. Unfortunately, the negative reviews on here are fairly accurate. You will notice a trend that every poster states similar critiques. This isn't just a coincidence.

Please avoid this place unless you truly have no other options.

1. No room for employee value to be added. Whatever the president says, goes.
        - Example. During a group meeting for an update, a developer proposed two possible solutions. He stated that one solution would be better for long term maintenance, but that we were going with the other solution that was easier up front because that's what the president said we should do. There was no room for the team to make its own decisions.
        - While a process is in place (BA performance analysis/requirements, sends to implementation team/dev team to complete) there is no true ability for employees to use the skills they are truly hired for. The process is set by management and we must follow it.

2. Micromanagement
        - Related to my first point above, the president has a say or a hand in almost all aspects of the company. I understand that he is very knowledgeable of the product, but I believe that is because nobody sticks around long enough to become an SME, so he has to be nvolved.

3. High turnover
        - I asked a few coworkers why there were no real name plates up on the cubicles(only paper name tags), they laughed and then said that people don’t stay here long enough to get real plates. This might not be the actual reason why from a management perspective, but from my experience it is accurate
        - In my three months of employment, 10% of the company either quit or was let go.

4. The President (For any BA interested, you will need to work with the President closely for requirements gathering.)
        - He is extremely rude and degrading. I mentioned salary as a pro, however it was used as negative reinforcement. When my performance wasn't exactly what he was looking for, he told me "man to man" (his words) that he pays me a lot of money and if I don’t perform better that he doesn’t need me there….I don’t know about anyone else, but that doesn’t make an employee want to work hard/or at all for a company.
        - Disrespectful - a project wasn't going smoothly, so a PM and myself had a meeting with the president to discuss the situation. During the meeting, as we were explaining, he pulled out his cell phone, walked to the other side of the room and carried on a conversation with someone while we waited for him to finish so we could continue explaining ourselves.
        - During my interview process, I asked about other reviews regarding the president's behavior. HR told me that he is a nice guy because he bought the company hot dogs….that does not excuse his bullying and verbal mistreatment of employees.

5. Agile claims are false
        - I am Scrum Master certified and can say that the Agile process was NOT followed during my tenure.

6. Termination process
        - This situation was just offensive. I was brought into the HR office about a half hour after I arrived to work. I was told that I was being let go (no problem there). However, I was told that I would not be allowed to go back to my desk to gather my belonging, or be allowed to say goodbye to any coworkers. They actually had a coworker gather all of my stuff in a box and bring it to hr. They asked me if that was everything I had, but I couldn’t be for sure since I couldn’t look at my desk area. That is unacceptable.
        - When I inquired about why I was being let go, I was told that they would not like to get into it and wanted to keep it short. I was given no performance based reason as to why I was being let go.

Advice to Management

1. Relieve the President from day to day tasks and allow him to perform executive level duties. Allow your employees to perform their job that they were hired to do. Trust them to be competent or don't hire them at all.

2. Understand the SDLC and allow the organization to adopt once style or another.

3. Do not hold employees hostage in the HR room if they are being terminated. Allow them to check to make sure they have all of their belongings.

"Not a healthy work environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Naperville, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Naperville, IL

Pros

Free snacks (and you should eat them because you’ll probably be in the office long past a normal expected work day)
    Easy commute location
    Easy parking lot access

Cons

No potential career growth
    Daily Toxic office experience
    No telecommuting
    Have to submit time daily
    functionality of the proprietary software from leadership is quite a sales pitch, too niche of a market
    Highest attrition rate seen anywhere I’ve worked (layoffs by leadership are common practice for this small of a company)
    Trying to adhere to any common or universal IT standards won’t do much good, just do whatever leadership tells you to
    ...

Advice to Management

Learn how IT roles and a project SDLC are structured from an industry-wide perspective
    Learn how to test a release before implementing to a client
    Put someone in charge of accounts receivable that knows how to collect invoices
    Put someone in charge that understands resourcing projects, especially from a dev perspective
    Understand human capital in relation to talent management
    Understand the Agile methodology process
    Get a new president to lead the company
    ...

"Misleading opportunity"

I worked at Thatcher Technology Group, LLC full-time

Pros

Some employees with the skill set and talent want to do the right thing.

Cons

Management is the bottleneck to the process improvement, and uses deflection as a way to not admit they are the problem.

Advice to Management

Stop standing in the way of your own growth, and let your talented employees do what they were hired to do. Management isn't the only one with good ideas.

"Avoid this Company!"

I worked at Thatcher Technology Group, LLC (More than a year)

Pros

Good Salary and Benefits Package

Cons

Unreasonable Work Demands
    No Life Balance
    Inconsistent Management - one minute they're your best buddy, the next minute they're screaming at you in a meeting

"Disappointing Experience, Learned Nothing"

I worked at Thatcher Technology Group, LLC full-time

Pros

It is in a nice location. Close to many places to eat and there is even a small cafeteria in the basement of the building. The office is new, so it's clean and there is even a nice kitchen and rec area with free snacks and drinks.

Cons

Like a previous review, there are so many things wrong with this company and the way it operates, I don't know where to begin. Probably the biggest problem is the lack in leadership. If I could give it no stars, I would. Turnover is about 25%, which means they are short handed and short on resources. This leads to being overworked and deliverables not staying on schedule. Every minute is accounted for, so plan on taking good notes so you can log and validate all your time. Internal resources do not work on anything unless it is given a billing code and a ticket. So, don't expect to get anything done quickly (especially when managers are always in meetings). It's a very frustrating environment to work in if you care about getting work done for the clients because everything takes way longer to complete than it should.

Advice to Management

There is a reason for the high turnover. Start listening. Start communicating. Let the managers help their subordinates, offer guidance and not put them in endless meetings all day. Stop buying all the managers lunch every day so you could justify putting them in meetings during lunch. All that does is overwork the managers and create a bigger gap between them and their people.

Stop releasing code that wasn't tested with client data. All that does is create a series of non-billable time needed to fix it in all areas of the company. Fix at the source so the exact same issues don't surface with the next new installation.

Stop telling your potential clients that you "like to teach a man to fish," because you don't. You had him a pole, hook, fishing line and a manual. You them tell him to read the manual and figure it out himself. There is a difference.

I've seen "bullying" and employees treated like children. I've seen them outed in front of their peers. I've seen them blamed for things they did not do by upper management. I've seen them work in fear as they are given conflicting directions. I personally had to say, along with my peers, that I "understand" what I am being told and not to do it. Stop this behavior, it's humiliating.

Simplify the billing process. There are so many "gray" areas, it's a nightmare to remember and amount of extra time it creates just creates more non-billable time and gives the clients a reason to dispute their invoices.