The Advisory Board Company Reviews | Glassdoor

The Advisory Board Company Reviews

Updated July 19, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work-life balance is very good, which i highly appreciate (in 110 reviews)

• Great benefits including 21 days off (in 49 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance in the Consulting business does not exist, this is not true of all divisions (in 64 reviews)

• Numbers focused for the entry level position (in 28 reviews)

1. "Good introduction to higher education and technology service delivery."

Former Employee - Senior Associate Business Analyst in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Senior Associate Business Analyst in Washington, DC

I worked at The Advisory Board Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's a mid-size company so you get exposure to many parts of the business. The employees are young. The work environment is fun.

Cons

Compensation is weak and promotions are mostly based on time in seat and less about performance. The role can become repetitive.

"Condescending Leadership"

Former Employee - Analyst in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Analyst in Washington, DC

I worked at The Advisory Board Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- great coworkers, truly the best thing about ABC
    - great for entry-level as you get a lot of executive exposure early into your career
    - location
    - generous PTO
    - tons of Pro Bono and Community Service opportunities
    - 10 paid hours a month to exercise

Cons

I worked at ABC for two years and held two different positions. My first year was incredibly valuable. I learned a ton of professional skills and got unbelievable executive sponsor, even as a executive assistant. I frankly felt guilty moving on to a higher position because i felt so valued an appreciated. Unfortunately, this team is no longer in existence as ABC has gotten rid of all their greatest minds in favor of a restructure, which frankly is not going all that well.
    That being said, my last year at the advisory board was downright miserable.
    I had never been so micromanaged, condescended and down-right walked all over in my life. I witnessed my managers take credit for my ideas and my work and yet have the courage to put me on a development plan because i was not meeting expectations. Leadership is struggling to find direction, therefore are more focused on hitting metrics and pleasing the higher ups than creating career development opportunities for their employees. I would constantly be given tasks with no direction and then would get yelled at because the final product did not meet expectations. and everyone just LOVES throwing people under the bus in order to not take the blame for their incompetence.
    There is also an uncomfortable level between being micromanaged and not being valued at all. Case in point: when i accepted another job offer, i scheduled THREE FIFTEEN MINUTE MEETINGS with my manager's to give her my formal resignation. SHE DID NOT SHOW UP TO ANY OF THEM! Eventually i had to find the Managing Director in the hall and tell her I was leaving. Incredibly unprofessional for people who think they're owners of the truth. The saddest thing is, this behavior will not change. The company is not doing well and ABC is experiencing the highest turnover in its history, yet the leadership that brought this place crumbling to ground is still there. Yup, that's ABC for ya!

Advice to Management

Please quit micromanaging employees, putting them on development plans and making them feel unappreciated and completely incompetent. It does nothing for moral and will not help your turnover issue.

3. "Business Intelligence"

Current Employee - Senior Technical Analyst in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Technical Analyst in Washington, DC

I have been working at The Advisory Board Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good culture, dynamic work, great benefits

Cons

A bit underpaid in the market but getting better

"analyst consulting"

Former Employee - Consultant in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Consultant in Nashville, TN

I worked at The Advisory Board Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

ok pay could be better

Cons

bad culture toxic culture very favorism

Advice to Management

be better

"Avoid"

Current Employee - Data Analyst in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Data Analyst in Austin, TX

I have been working at The Advisory Board Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits and community outreach.

Cons

Company is on sale because of poor performance.

Advice to Management

Too late for advice

"Interesting company, incompetent middle management"

Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Washington, DC

I worked at The Advisory Board Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Okay experience for being early in a career, lots of young people, hours are manageable.

Cons

Due to young work force, middle management just gets promoted for being there the longest yet they are unable to think for themselves. Overall business strategy is a focus on acquiring companies but not applying new strategies to current products. If you love love love marketing that's okay but not much else to offer.

Advice to Management

If you are going to acquire tech companies and pivot to being a "tech" based health care service you actually have to integrate them internally. Every internal dept is so siloed its faster to ask the client for data you already have than to ask internally. Maybe fix that okay?

"Membership Advisor"

Former Employee - Membership Advisor in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Membership Advisor in Washington, DC

I worked at The Advisory Board Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of great benefits. Work hard play hard. Good office location, and busy days so you are not bored.

Cons

Bureaucracy, internal politics. Long hours. Management doesnt always take responsibility for the bad decisions. Recently laid off lots of people.

Advice to Management

Accept more responsibility and involve others in the development of the firm. Lots of smart people who work there that are underutilized.

"Great company to work for, but the values get lost"

Former Employee - Trainer in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Trainer in Austin, TX

I worked at The Advisory Board Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits, Work Life Balance, Pay

Cons

Lack of Transparency, changing values

Advice to Management

Great company to work for, benefits and PTO make up for the pay, very smart people work here, in fact, we were all told at a firm-wide meeting that it is easier to get into Harvard than it is to get hired at ABC,
    Frat culture, if you've dropped the ball on something, you'll have a target on your back from there on out unfortunately
    Foster the careers of your employees, get those open positions back filled because it is killing everyone who has to do the remaining work

"Interesting Times at ABC"

Current Employee - Director in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Director in Washington, DC

I have been working at The Advisory Board Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Really smart people to work with
    - Challenging work
    - Great place to start your career

Cons

- Doesn't appreciate employees
    - Potential for company to be sold
    - Hiring the wrong people

Advice to Management

Improve hiring process to vet people more extensively, value your high performers

"Struggling to find direction"

Current Employee - Senior Director in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Director in Washington, DC

I have been working at The Advisory Board Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

5 weeks of vacation; generally great coworkers; flexible work arrangement and opportunities to work remotely.

Cons

The last year or so has been really rocky as the healthcare business has under-performed. Numerous benefits have been slashed: no more bonuses for employee referrals, no tuition money for professional development; no holiday party; decreased travel between offices. The biggest pain point to date has been around bonuses. Even if you got promoted this year, you didn't receive all of your bonus. Your bonus potential is sold as a really nice perk for working here, and it feels a bit like the rug has been pulled out from under us.

Advice to Management

Separate the health care and higher ed businesses into two companies. Fire any senior executive who's been with the company since the 90s, and replace them with people with industry experience.