The Advisory Board Company Reviews in Washington, DC | Glassdoor

3.4
The Advisory Board Company CEO and Director Robert W. Musslewhite
Robert W. Musslewhite

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work-life balance is very good, which i highly appreciate (in 118 reviews)

• Great benefits including 21 days off (in 51 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance in the Consulting business does not exist, this is not true of all divisions (in 67 reviews)

• Pay is well below industry average, at least for entry level roles (in 31 reviews)

"Sales and Marketing Associate"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at The Advisory Board Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Early exposure to hospital-system executives, opportunities for internal mobility, clearly-defined incentive structure, unprecedented access to hospital systems around the country, varied involvement with research, technology, and consulting for provider systems on all ends of the care spectrum

Cons

Low salary, siloed experience, tedious and menial tasks that border on secretary or telemarketer, uneven staffing that creates setup for failure. Lack of clarity in focus from a sales and operations perspective. Too many balls trying to be juggled in the air

Advice to Management

Pay better attention to your entry-level and compensate better. Attrition through lack of engagement with entry-level staff to create a meritocracy is not a lasting business model. Create more tailored solutions for your member institutions

2. "marketing associate"

Current Employee - Marketing Associate in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Marketing Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at The Advisory Board Company full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-good entry level position, great training, good executive exposure

Cons

-lots of internal confusion in terms of structure as well as internal politics
    -not all teams are set up to be successful and given the right resources to succeed
    -under pay big time
    -often does not invest much in entry level employees, really high turn over rate

Advice to Management

-simplify and invest in your employees

3. "A combination of research and sales"

Former Employee - Research Analyst in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Research Analyst in Washington, DC

I worked at The Advisory Board Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very enthusiastic, bright people work at the Advisory Board.

Cons

Researchers spend much of their time supporting sales teams (including making marketing brochures on their behalf). Managers not very good at recognising limitations of resources--there is a lot of short-termism--and job security can change in a flash.

Advice to Management

Better resource research teams and give researchers head space to do their jobs well.

4. "Senior Consultant"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at The Advisory Board Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Collaborative, innovative, career development

Cons

Unpredictable with Optum acquisition

"Marketing Associate"

Former Employee - Marketing Associate in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Marketing Associate in Washington, DC

I worked at The Advisory Board Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible time off
    A few genuine and great people
    Nice office location

Cons

Everything else. First off they lie to you about the position. It is sales not marketing. Second they lie about advancement, it will take at least 1 1/2 years minimum. Third they pay almost 20% below market value for the salaries of anyone in entry and mid level positions. Fourth almost everyone is a frat bro. Fifth upper management has very little oversight and can be quite abusive, this includes mid level management. Sixth extremely racist. I cannot tell you how many times many of my coworkers had to put up with both blatant and subtle racism only for HR to tell them that there is not enough evidence. I can name names if I really wanted too.

Advice to Management

Don't lie, don't let people get away with being awful, pay your employees like you want them to have enough to eat.

6. "Great Place To Launch a Career"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at The Advisory Board Company full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits, smart and committed colleagues, nice offices

Cons

None that I remember 5 years on.

7. "ABC"

Current Employee - Coordinator in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Coordinator in Washington, DC

I have been working at The Advisory Board Company full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Young workforce, flexible hours, relaxed work environment

Cons

Must be in seat for a year min to move into another (most likely lateral) position

"Entry level workers are underpaid, overqualified, and have limited growth potential."

Current Employee - Sales and Marketing Associate in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Sales and Marketing Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at The Advisory Board Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fantastic company culture in terms of volunteerism/giving back to the community and benefits are stellar. They are working towards increasing diversity initiatives (currently not a diverse workforce), which is a step in the right direction. Large LGBTQ+ population.

Cons

Lack of transparency in terms of job descriptions and with regards to movement within the company (I.e. Management says you can move positions after 8-12 months but then keep you from applying internally and once you finally can apply, getting in seat takes an additional 6 months so your "8 month" grunt job just took 2 years of you life). Pay is well below industry average, at least for entry level roles. And you are paid less if you are promoted internally, as compared with external hires. Get your experience elsewhere and THEN apply for a non entry level job.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring over qualified candidates to entry-level positions at $41k/year and certainly stop promising them the ability to move within the company after a certain number of months. Or just start paying MAs more to keep up with the industry.

9. "This is nerdy work, and I like it."

Current Employee - Research Associate in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Research Associate in Arlington, VA

I have been working at The Advisory Board Company full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of smart colleagues. My manager is helpful, and open. Also, after half a year I feel like many of my colleagues respect my contributions and effort.

Cons

The position includes lots of report writing. The editing process and scripting processes can be mundane and repetitive even when the research is interesting.

Advice to Management

It would be nice to hear more about overall strategy (as opposed to simply trotting out new products to tell us about). Also, associates rarely receive feedback on their work from clients, or hear about feedback. It would be helpful to expand that channel.

"Good for a little while"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at The Advisory Board Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Collaborative, smart, young
    - Respected in the industry for research insights
    - Flexibility to work from home
    - Lots of PTO

Cons

- Lack of transparency from the top
    - Difficulty materializing innovative ideas - lack of stable direction
    - High turnover rate, especially among young consultants
    - Compensation not up to market standard

Advice to Management

Utilize the smart young people that you have. Let them contribute and shine, without throwing them in over their heads. Maybe they can solve some of the problems you're having re: lack of innovation/direction