The Advisory Board Company Reviews in Washington, DC | Glassdoor

2.0
The Advisory Board Company CEO and Director Robert W. Musslewhite
Robert W. Musslewhite

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work-life balance is very good, which i highly appreciate (in 118 reviews)

• Great benefits including 21 days off (in 51 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance in the Consulting business does not exist, this is not true of all divisions (in 66 reviews)

• Pay is well below industry average, at least for entry level roles (in 30 reviews)

"Not the worst, but certainly not the best place to work..."

I worked at The Advisory Board Company full-time

Pros

The work life balance that they claim is actually real, at least for lower level employees. When you leave at 5:30 every day, you leave work behind. There are also healthy life hours and community impact hours, which, if you have a manager who actually lets you utilize these, are nice.

Cons

TABC does not learn from its mistakes. It will be dissolved soon enough. It promotes people into roles that are not deserving or fit, and side steps hard workers. The acquisitions this company has made are handled extremely poorly. The pay is terrible starting out, and it is difficult to make more. Entry-level employees are looked down upon and treated poorly. It was a decent job, but I definitely was not unhappy to leave, and I don not recommend joining this organization.

"Great people, bad leadership"

Current Employee - Senior Advisor in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Advisor in Washington, DC

I have been working at The Advisory Board Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing people to work with that build a fun culture and great vacation benefits with 25 days of PTO

Cons

Leadership has made some terrible decisions in 2017 and don't care about investing in employees long-term

"All About Your Numbers"

Former Employee - Marketing Associate in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Marketing Associate in Washington, DC

I worked at The Advisory Board Company (More than a year)

Pros

Team environment is the best aspect.

Cons

The Marketing Associate is more of a sales position than marketing. Middle management oftentimes has no ability to manage or knowledge of their team. Opportunities to transition internally are limited if you don't hit sales numbers.

Advice to Management

Recognize hard work.

"Condescending Leadership"

Former Employee - Analyst in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Analyst in Washington, DC

I worked at The Advisory Board Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- great coworkers, truly the best thing about ABC
    - great for entry-level as you get a lot of executive exposure early into your career
    - location
    - generous PTO
    - tons of Pro Bono and Community Service opportunities
    - 10 paid hours a month to exercise

Cons

I worked at ABC for two years and held two different positions. My first year was incredibly valuable. I learned a ton of professional skills and got unbelievable executive sponsor, even as a executive assistant. I frankly felt guilty moving on to a higher position because i felt so valued an appreciated. Unfortunately, this team is no longer in existence as ABC has gotten rid of all their greatest minds in favor of a restructure, which frankly is not going all that well.
    That being said, my last year at the advisory board was downright miserable.
    I had never been so micromanaged, condescended and down-right walked all over in my life. I witnessed my managers take credit for my ideas and my work and yet have the courage to put me on a development plan because i was not meeting expectations. Leadership is struggling to find direction, therefore are more focused on hitting metrics and pleasing the higher ups than creating career development opportunities for their employees. I would constantly be given tasks with no direction and then would get yelled at because the final product did not meet expectations. and everyone just LOVES throwing people under the bus in order to not take the blame for their incompetence.
    There is also an uncomfortable level between being micromanaged and not being valued at all. Case in point: when i accepted another job offer, i scheduled THREE FIFTEEN MINUTE MEETINGS with my manager's to give her my formal resignation. SHE DID NOT SHOW UP TO ANY OF THEM! Eventually i had to find the Managing Director in the hall and tell her I was leaving. Incredibly unprofessional for people who think they're owners of the truth. The saddest thing is, this behavior will not change. The company is not doing well and ABC is experiencing the highest turnover in its history, yet the leadership that brought this place crumbling to ground is still there. Yup, that's ABC for ya!

Advice to Management

Please quit micromanaging employees, putting them on development plans and making them feel unappreciated and completely incompetent. It does nothing for moral and will not help your turnover issue.

"Interesting company, incompetent middle management"

Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Washington, DC

I worked at The Advisory Board Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Okay experience for being early in a career, lots of young people, hours are manageable.

Cons

Due to young work force, middle management just gets promoted for being there the longest yet they are unable to think for themselves. Overall business strategy is a focus on acquiring companies but not applying new strategies to current products. If you love love love marketing that's okay but not much else to offer.

Advice to Management

If you are going to acquire tech companies and pivot to being a "tech" based health care service you actually have to integrate them internally. Every internal dept is so siloed its faster to ask the client for data you already have than to ask internally. Maybe fix that okay?

"Good or bad, ABC will be a place to remember"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at The Advisory Board Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Trendy work environment, great people, met life-long friends, and a great place to learn as a young professional. The benefits were also nice. Fraternity-type culture where loyalty, hard work, and likability is typically rewarded by your direct management. Working on a revenue team early in my tenure, I had the opportunity to go on two exotic work trips that were tons of fun. Various offices with different "vibes" where staff have the opportunity to move around. Also had tons of free food, beer, and happy hours with colleagues.

Cons

I had never experienced real stress until working at the Advisory Board. I eventually left the firm because there were no roles that would ultimately provide career fulfillment. Although ABC is in the business of improving healthcare, this passion is not largely shared by its employees which can be a downer for people who are actually passionate about the work the firm does. I worked in a few different roles within 3 years of being at the firm and in every role I experienced burnout. Junior staff have extraordinary workloads for very little compensation. The hazing process felt like it never ended. After my first year with the firm, I vividly remember a colleague breaking down in tears in the office because of the stress/workload that had been piled on her when her manager left the firm. Even after going to management, there was still no resolution for the poor girl.

There were a few decisions made by management that lowered overall team morale. I witnessed two people get promoted in less than six months of being at the firm (really!?) while others at the same level in the same department who had been in seat for a year were looked over (bummer!). At one point, half of my team was getting paid around $10,000 less that what the other half were paid all while doing the same work. When I brought up the issue to management, they shrugged their shoulders and brushed it under the rug. I also witnessed a husband and wife get hired to be on the same team out of favoritism from the Director which in my opinion was highly unprofessional, especially since good candidates were looked over to make the hire. Once you have a bit of "inside" knowledge at the firm, you'll see that the politics can be quite ridiculous and if you're not in the "in crowd" you will easily be passed over for promotions and looked over by the rest of your colleagues. Management is often times not transparent on the long-term vision of their teams which can also cause one to feel unsure or worried about direction. Though stressful, I do feel that I had an overall positive experience in comparison to many others because I had great relationships with my team management/leadership.

Advice to Management

Middle management should stop being ruthless and indifferent to junior staff; it's slowly destroying the reputation of a great company.

"Associate DIrector"

Current Employee - Associate Director in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Associate Director in Washington, DC

I have been working at The Advisory Board Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

flexibility, fun co-workers, young culture,

Cons

poor compensation, poor communication, egocentric leadership, constant massive re-orgs, seemingly on a yearly basis, HR is clueless about the racism, bigotism, and sexism that occurs

"Some good people - Lots of internal chaos"

Current Employee - Senior Database Administrator in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Database Administrator in Washington, DC

I have been working at The Advisory Board Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company wants to provide work-life balance and career growth opportunities very badly. They have started several programs to that end.

Cons

In the last 2 years of my employment at The Advisory Board Company, they have:
    - lowered their 401k match percentage
    - moved large groups to low-cost communal work spaces
    - done away with or lowered annual raises
    - simplified the employee review process resulting in fewer grades (also a cost-saving measure that prevents raises)
    - Canceled the holiday party, two years in a row
    - Raised the employee contribution for healthcare over 500%
    - Ended employee travel & training or reduced the budgets to where it's impossible
    - Closed 3 offices
    - Laid off hundreds of people
    - Stated their goal of leaving the software market entirely
    - Brought in investors specializing in the sale of companies

I don't doubt that happiness and career can be found at The Advisory Board Company. That being said, it has become much harder to find there. The business did not compete well in their market and the employees are suffering the burden of that failure.

Advice to Management

Be more honest with your employees. Stop hiring too many employees. Stop acquiring start-ups without a decent audit of what it will take to turn their applications around and sell them to Advisory Board clients.

"Nice colleagues and downtown location, that's about it."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at The Advisory Board Company full-time

Pros

Great people, interesting job content, work with a diverse client base, decent benefits

Cons

ABC treats their employees terribly. Pay is below market rate. When promoted or moving to a new role internally you're going to get a lower salary and/or title than someone coming in from an outside role. While most coworkers are great, high-level management is full of ABC robots who repeat the same jargon over and over again. Feels like you're constantly having the same conversation everyday.

Advice to Management

It would be great to value your current employees, there's a reason behind such a high attrition rate.

10. "Not the same old wonder office space"

Current Employee - ETL Developer in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - ETL Developer in Washington, DC

I have been working at The Advisory Board Company (More than a year)

Pros

U can learn at your own pace

Cons

No work life balance. Management sucks