The Advisory Board Company Reviews in Washington, DC | Glassdoor

The Advisory Board Company Washington Reviews

Updated September 22, 2017

Washington, DC

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work-life balance is very good, which i highly appreciate (in 117 reviews)

• Great benefits including 21 days off (in 51 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance in the Consulting business does not exist, this is not true of all divisions (in 66 reviews)

• Numbers focused for the entry level position (in 29 reviews)

"Great people, bad leadership"

Current Employee - Senior Advisor in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Advisor in Washington, DC

I have been working at The Advisory Board Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing people to work with that build a fun culture and great vacation benefits with 25 days of PTO

Cons

Leadership has made some terrible decisions in 2017 and don't care about investing in employees long-term

"Communicate!"

Former Employee - Researcher in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Researcher in Washington, DC

I worked at The Advisory Board Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunity to work independently and focus on interesting projects

Cons

Company does little to establish and encourage information sharing across its silo'd programs --- each operates in a vacuum

Advice to Management

Reward knowledge sharing and alignment across the research programs

"Good Company"

Current Employee - Associate Director in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Associate Director in Washington, DC

I have been working at The Advisory Board Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great services provided to healthcare and higher education

Cons

Currently in a transition stage, Benefits cut, education reimbursemant cut, 401k contribution almost non existent, top bonus target impossible to attain.

Advice to Management

This is a great company with great people, straighten the ship and go full speed ahead.

"Great place to gain sea legs"

Former Employee - Senior Director in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Senior Director in Washington, DC

I worked at The Advisory Board Company full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

People, culture, experiences beyond your years. There is a true investment in growing staff and giving them new, challenging experiences.

Cons

Work life balance in the Consulting business does not exist, this is not true of all divisions. At times there is a missing aspect of transparency (although this is improving)

Advice to Management

Time for a large turnover at the senior levels with the upcoming change in control (company has had numerous rough quarters and not one exec with stock options has been let go or seen major change in responsibility)

"All About Your Numbers"

Former Employee - Marketing Associate in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Marketing Associate in Washington, DC

I worked at The Advisory Board Company (More than a year)

Pros

Team environment is the best aspect.

Cons

The Marketing Associate is more of a sales position than marketing. Middle management oftentimes has no ability to manage or knowledge of their team. Opportunities to transition internally are limited if you don't hit sales numbers.

Advice to Management

Recognize hard work.

6. "Good introduction to higher education and technology service delivery."

Former Employee - Senior Associate Business Analyst in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Senior Associate Business Analyst in Washington, DC

I worked at The Advisory Board Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's a mid-size company so you get exposure to many parts of the business. The employees are young. The work environment is fun.

Cons

Compensation is weak and promotions are mostly based on time in seat and less about performance. The role can become repetitive.

"Condescending Leadership"

Former Employee - Analyst in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Analyst in Washington, DC

I worked at The Advisory Board Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- great coworkers, truly the best thing about ABC
    - great for entry-level as you get a lot of executive exposure early into your career
    - location
    - generous PTO
    - tons of Pro Bono and Community Service opportunities
    - 10 paid hours a month to exercise

Cons

I worked at ABC for two years and held two different positions. My first year was incredibly valuable. I learned a ton of professional skills and got unbelievable executive sponsor, even as a executive assistant. I frankly felt guilty moving on to a higher position because i felt so valued an appreciated. Unfortunately, this team is no longer in existence as ABC has gotten rid of all their greatest minds in favor of a restructure, which frankly is not going all that well.
    That being said, my last year at the advisory board was downright miserable.
    I had never been so micromanaged, condescended and down-right walked all over in my life. I witnessed my managers take credit for my ideas and my work and yet have the courage to put me on a development plan because i was not meeting expectations. Leadership is struggling to find direction, therefore are more focused on hitting metrics and pleasing the higher ups than creating career development opportunities for their employees. I would constantly be given tasks with no direction and then would get yelled at because the final product did not meet expectations. and everyone just LOVES throwing people under the bus in order to not take the blame for their incompetence.
    There is also an uncomfortable level between being micromanaged and not being valued at all. Case in point: when i accepted another job offer, i scheduled THREE FIFTEEN MINUTE MEETINGS with my manager's to give her my formal resignation. SHE DID NOT SHOW UP TO ANY OF THEM! Eventually i had to find the Managing Director in the hall and tell her I was leaving. Incredibly unprofessional for people who think they're owners of the truth. The saddest thing is, this behavior will not change. The company is not doing well and ABC is experiencing the highest turnover in its history, yet the leadership that brought this place crumbling to ground is still there. Yup, that's ABC for ya!

Advice to Management

Please quit micromanaging employees, putting them on development plans and making them feel unappreciated and completely incompetent. It does nothing for moral and will not help your turnover issue.

8. "Business Intelligence"

Current Employee - Senior Technical Analyst in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Technical Analyst in Washington, DC

I have been working at The Advisory Board Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good culture, dynamic work, great benefits

Cons

A bit underpaid in the market but getting better

"Interesting company, incompetent middle management"

Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Washington, DC

I worked at The Advisory Board Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Okay experience for being early in a career, lots of young people, hours are manageable.

Cons

Due to young work force, middle management just gets promoted for being there the longest yet they are unable to think for themselves. Overall business strategy is a focus on acquiring companies but not applying new strategies to current products. If you love love love marketing that's okay but not much else to offer.

Advice to Management

If you are going to acquire tech companies and pivot to being a "tech" based health care service you actually have to integrate them internally. Every internal dept is so siloed its faster to ask the client for data you already have than to ask internally. Maybe fix that okay?

"Membership Advisor"

Former Employee - Membership Advisor in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Membership Advisor in Washington, DC

I worked at The Advisory Board Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of great benefits. Work hard play hard. Good office location, and busy days so you are not bored.

Cons

Bureaucracy, internal politics. Long hours. Management doesnt always take responsibility for the bad decisions. Recently laid off lots of people.

Advice to Management

Accept more responsibility and involve others in the development of the firm. Lots of smart people who work there that are underutilized.