The Advisory Board Company Reviews in Washington, DC | Glassdoor

The Advisory Board Company Washington Reviews

Updated October 10, 2017

Washington, DC

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work-life balance is very good, which i highly appreciate (in 118 reviews)

• Great Company - Great Colleagues - Great Benefits - (in 51 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance in the Consulting business does not exist, this is not true of all divisions (in 67 reviews)

• Pay is well below industry average, at least for entry level roles (in 31 reviews)

"Condescending Leadership"

Former Employee - Analyst in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Analyst in Washington, DC

I worked at The Advisory Board Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- great coworkers, truly the best thing about ABC
    - great for entry-level as you get a lot of executive exposure early into your career
    - location
    - generous PTO
    - tons of Pro Bono and Community Service opportunities
    - 10 paid hours a month to exercise

Cons

I worked at ABC for two years and held two different positions. My first year was incredibly valuable. I learned a ton of professional skills and got unbelievable executive sponsor, even as a executive assistant. I frankly felt guilty moving on to a higher position because i felt so valued an appreciated. Unfortunately, this team is no longer in existence as ABC has gotten rid of all their greatest minds in favor of a restructure, which frankly is not going all that well.
    That being said, my last year at the advisory board was downright miserable.
    I had never been so micromanaged, condescended and down-right walked all over in my life. I witnessed my managers take credit for my ideas and my work and yet have the courage to put me on a development plan because i was not meeting expectations. Leadership is struggling to find direction, therefore are more focused on hitting metrics and pleasing the higher ups than creating career development opportunities for their employees. I would constantly be given tasks with no direction and then would get yelled at because the final product did not meet expectations. and everyone just LOVES throwing people under the bus in order to not take the blame for their incompetence.
    There is also an uncomfortable level between being micromanaged and not being valued at all. Case in point: when i accepted another job offer, i scheduled THREE FIFTEEN MINUTE MEETINGS with my manager's to give her my formal resignation. SHE DID NOT SHOW UP TO ANY OF THEM! Eventually i had to find the Managing Director in the hall and tell her I was leaving. Incredibly unprofessional for people who think they're owners of the truth. The saddest thing is, this behavior will not change. The company is not doing well and ABC is experiencing the highest turnover in its history, yet the leadership that brought this place crumbling to ground is still there. Yup, that's ABC for ya!

Advice to Management

Please quit micromanaging employees, putting them on development plans and making them feel unappreciated and completely incompetent. It does nothing for moral and will not help your turnover issue.

2. "Business Intelligence"

Current Employee - Senior Technical Analyst in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Technical Analyst in Washington, DC

I have been working at The Advisory Board Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good culture, dynamic work, great benefits

Cons

A bit underpaid in the market but getting better

"Interesting company, incompetent middle management"

Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Washington, DC

I worked at The Advisory Board Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Okay experience for being early in a career, lots of young people, hours are manageable.

Cons

Due to young work force, middle management just gets promoted for being there the longest yet they are unable to think for themselves. Overall business strategy is a focus on acquiring companies but not applying new strategies to current products. If you love love love marketing that's okay but not much else to offer.

Advice to Management

If you are going to acquire tech companies and pivot to being a "tech" based health care service you actually have to integrate them internally. Every internal dept is so siloed its faster to ask the client for data you already have than to ask internally. Maybe fix that okay?

"Membership Advisor"

Former Employee - Membership Advisor in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Membership Advisor in Washington, DC

I worked at The Advisory Board Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of great benefits. Work hard play hard. Good office location, and busy days so you are not bored.

Cons

Bureaucracy, internal politics. Long hours. Management doesnt always take responsibility for the bad decisions. Recently laid off lots of people.

Advice to Management

Accept more responsibility and involve others in the development of the firm. Lots of smart people who work there that are underutilized.

"Interesting Times at ABC"

Current Employee - Director in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Director in Washington, DC

I have been working at The Advisory Board Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Really smart people to work with
    - Challenging work
    - Great place to start your career

Cons

- Doesn't appreciate employees
    - Potential for company to be sold
    - Hiring the wrong people

Advice to Management

Improve hiring process to vet people more extensively, value your high performers

"Struggling to find direction"

Current Employee - Senior Director in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Director in Washington, DC

I have been working at The Advisory Board Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

5 weeks of vacation; generally great coworkers; flexible work arrangement and opportunities to work remotely.

Cons

The last year or so has been really rocky as the healthcare business has under-performed. Numerous benefits have been slashed: no more bonuses for employee referrals, no tuition money for professional development; no holiday party; decreased travel between offices. The biggest pain point to date has been around bonuses. Even if you got promoted this year, you didn't receive all of your bonus. Your bonus potential is sold as a really nice perk for working here, and it feels a bit like the rug has been pulled out from under us.

Advice to Management

Separate the health care and higher ed businesses into two companies. Fire any senior executive who's been with the company since the 90s, and replace them with people with industry experience.

"Good or bad, ABC will be a place to remember"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at The Advisory Board Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Trendy work environment, great people, met life-long friends, and a great place to learn as a young professional. The benefits were also nice. Fraternity-type culture where loyalty, hard work, and likability is typically rewarded by your direct management. Working on a revenue team early in my tenure, I had the opportunity to go on two exotic work trips that were tons of fun. Various offices with different "vibes" where staff have the opportunity to move around. Also had tons of free food, beer, and happy hours with colleagues.

Cons

I had never experienced real stress until working at the Advisory Board. I eventually left the firm because there were no roles that would ultimately provide career fulfillment. Although ABC is in the business of improving healthcare, this passion is not largely shared by its employees which can be a downer for people who are actually passionate about the work the firm does. I worked in a few different roles within 3 years of being at the firm and in every role I experienced burnout. Junior staff have extraordinary workloads for very little compensation. The hazing process felt like it never ended. After my first year with the firm, I vividly remember a colleague breaking down in tears in the office because of the stress/workload that had been piled on her when her manager left the firm. Even after going to management, there was still no resolution for the poor girl.

There were a few decisions made by management that lowered overall team morale. I witnessed two people get promoted in less than six months of being at the firm (really!?) while others at the same level in the same department who had been in seat for a year were looked over (bummer!). At one point, half of my team was getting paid around $10,000 less that what the other half were paid all while doing the same work. When I brought up the issue to management, they shrugged their shoulders and brushed it under the rug. I also witnessed a husband and wife get hired to be on the same team out of favoritism from the Director which in my opinion was highly unprofessional, especially since good candidates were looked over to make the hire. Once you have a bit of "inside" knowledge at the firm, you'll see that the politics can be quite ridiculous and if you're not in the "in crowd" you will easily be passed over for promotions and looked over by the rest of your colleagues. Management is often times not transparent on the long-term vision of their teams which can also cause one to feel unsure or worried about direction. Though stressful, I do feel that I had an overall positive experience in comparison to many others because I had great relationships with my team management/leadership.

Advice to Management

Middle management should stop being ruthless and indifferent to junior staff; it's slowly destroying the reputation of a great company.

"Associate DIrector"

Current Employee - Associate Director in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Associate Director in Washington, DC

I have been working at The Advisory Board Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

flexibility, fun co-workers, young culture,

Cons

poor compensation, poor communication, egocentric leadership, constant massive re-orgs, seemingly on a yearly basis, HR is clueless about the racism, bigotism, and sexism that occurs

"Some good people - Lots of internal chaos"

Current Employee - Senior Database Administrator in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Database Administrator in Washington, DC

I have been working at The Advisory Board Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company wants to provide work-life balance and career growth opportunities very badly. They have started several programs to that end.

Cons

In the last 2 years of my employment at The Advisory Board Company, they have:
    - lowered their 401k match percentage
    - moved large groups to low-cost communal work spaces
    - done away with or lowered annual raises
    - simplified the employee review process resulting in fewer grades (also a cost-saving measure that prevents raises)
    - Canceled the holiday party, two years in a row
    - Raised the employee contribution for healthcare over 500%
    - Ended employee travel & training or reduced the budgets to where it's impossible
    - Closed 3 offices
    - Laid off hundreds of people
    - Stated their goal of leaving the software market entirely
    - Brought in investors specializing in the sale of companies

I don't doubt that happiness and career can be found at The Advisory Board Company. That being said, it has become much harder to find there. The business did not compete well in their market and the employees are suffering the burden of that failure.

Advice to Management

Be more honest with your employees. Stop hiring too many employees. Stop acquiring start-ups without a decent audit of what it will take to turn their applications around and sell them to Advisory Board clients.

10. "A company going through growing pains"

Former Employee - Senior Applications Support Engineer in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Senior Applications Support Engineer in Washington, DC

I worked at The Advisory Board Company full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

1. Great culture and cares about community around it
    2. Smart colleagues. Interview process is a tough one, so only high caliber people get in
    3. Lateral moves between departments
    4. Handled my lay off very professionally and paid a genorous severance package

Cons

1. Company bought too many companies without much planning for integration and how to profit from the same
    2. Currently it is cutting it's expenses to survive, so don't expect too many perks

Advice to Management

Learn to accept the reality about finances before it is too late