The Advisory Board Company Reviews in Washington, DC | Glassdoor

The Advisory Board Company Washington Reviews

Updated May 10, 2017

Washington, DC

Pros
  • Work-life balance is very good, which i highly appreciate (in 106 reviews)

• Great benefits including 21 days off (in 47 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance in the Consulting business does not exist, this is not true of all divisions (in 64 reviews)

• A low starting salary and long hours for entry level jobs (in 28 reviews)

"Good Company to Grow With"

Former Employee - Managing Director in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Managing Director in Washington, DC

I worked at The Advisory Board Company full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Super smart people with a deep customer focus and a collegial corporate culture. Great training opportunities and upward mobility (to a certain point.)

Cons

Inorganic growth (through M&A) has created a too-dispersed organization that has a hard time moving quickly. No true technology or product execs.

Advice to Management

Bring in more senior leadership from outside the company. Disband Policy Committee.

2. "Research analyst"

Current Employee - Analyst in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Analyst in Washington, DC

Pros

Great company. Great people. Great benefits.

Cons

Lower pay. Hard to move up.

Advice to Management

Increase salaries.

3. "Manager"

Current Employee - Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at The Advisory Board Company (More than 3 years)

Pros

Strong culture and dedicated senior leadership team driven to make a difference in health care and higher education.

Cons

Lack of competitive compensation, but leaders and management have acknowledged this disconnect.

5. "Associate"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at The Advisory Board Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Quick advancement
    Lots of options for learning outside of your role
    Collaborative environment
    Young co-workers
    Great benefits

Cons

Very young management - which is not always a bad thing, just less experience
    Lower compensation for the DC area

"General Review of Company Pros and Cons"

Current Employee - Product Marketing Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Product Marketing Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at The Advisory Board Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great work-life balance, opportunities for advancement within, smart and friendly employees. Interesting work and mission-driven organization.

Cons

Pay is on lower-end competitively. Higher turnover in certain departments.While there is advancement within it can be difficult to craft roles that align to skillsets,

Advice to Management

it's important to communicate internal changes before mixed communications trickle down to employees.

7. "Sr. Director"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at The Advisory Board Company (Less than a year)

Pros

A great pool of talent works here

Cons

Hours can be demanding throughout the year

8. "Great Company Great Opportunity"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Pros

Great opportunity to grow. Work with very smart teams of people on innovative projects. Opportunity to work with the most progressive hospitals in the country.

Cons

Work long hours and work/life balance

"Marketing Associate (EAB)"

I have been working at The Advisory Board Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Preferable to homelessness most days.
    That's pretty much it.

Cons

I *strongly* recommend that you find another job. I realize the pressure that you feel to find a job out of college but stop, turn around and run like the wind. You don’t want to work here. This review is strictly limited to the education side (EAB) but I don’t recommend working in healthcare easier. Here’s why:

1)Everything they told you in your college recruitment session or interview is a lie. Every MA I have ever spoken to has admitted they felt misled by recruiting. I’m talking over twenty people.

2)Your success in this role is based on hitting numbers (that’s it) and your ability to do that is somewhere between 75 and 100 percent based on a pre-determined set of factors that you have no control over whatsoever. In other words, if you are put in a good situation (good territory, good marketer, good manager is an oxymoron because there are none), you will succeed. If you are put in a bad situation, they will let you sink like a stone while simultaneously acting like it’s all down to your lack of skill.

3)The pay is disgraceful. Let me repeat: if you cannot afford to have mommy and daddy help pay your rent or send you money constantly, this is not the job for you. Almost all of the MAs receive parental assistance just to survive in DC on 38k. Those who don’t struggle and often have to work another job.

4)Don’t believe for a second that you will see one penny over 38k (BEFORE taxes). Management decides who is put in a position to earn incentives (cheap trips, bagels and coffee oh la la) and who is not. The raise, as other posters have mentioned, bumps you up to 40k and does not take effect for 10 months. They do not back pay you. The raise, the trips, the incentives, the way you are treated are ALL dependent on hitting numbers. They do not take your situation into account when they set those goals and your performance is evaluated on that one thing.

Some of the numbers are ridiculous and you will not be able to hit them, point blank, period, end of story. If you have a bad marketer, forget even coming close. I have seen good MAs work tirelessly only to be treated like garbage because they can’t hit impossible goals, even IF they are technically more skilled than someone who just lucked into a good situation.

5)You will get no respect from anyone. I’m not talking about millennial entitlement; I’m talking about human dignity. If you happen to be a minority (non-white), you will get even les. I’ve never said that about anywhere I’ve observed in my life but I’m saying it about EAB. Sad but true.

6)If you are lucky enough to be designated a “favorite” or a “golden child” you will probably get all the little incentives and what not. But do you really want to roll those dice? Doubtful.

7)The way that they evaluate you is the only thing equal about this job—everything else is down to your manger or marketer’s interpretation of the rules, meaning some people get away with murder and some people are thrown to the wolves.

8)The MA culture is incredibly childish. If you do not fit in, some of the other MAs will pick on you and/or spread rumors about you like you’re back in ninth grade. There are some great people here but it only takes a few to ruin your day.

Cliffs: Horrible pay, petty childish dynamic among MAs that includes lots of lying & back stabbing because everyone is so desperate to hit impractical goals, lack of respect, lack of opportunities to advance. Conclusion: RUN FORREST RUN in the opposite direction.

Advice to Management

Working here is not God's gift. If you want to retain good talent you have to be willing to earn it.
    PLEASE stop letting 25 year olds manage 24 year olds. You might as well just admit that you don't take yourselves seriously.

10. "Great Culture/Great Management"

I have been working at The Advisory Board Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Whenever I walk into the office I feel like I am at a startup in Silicon Valley. You have over 100 peers working in your same role and help make the job fun. In the past 9 months I have learned how to be a much better business professional.

Managers do a great job helping you get promoted and get a foot in the door in other departments.

Cons

It's a young environment. Sometimes I wish my managers were a little older.

"Run! Marketing Associate Role (EAB)"

I have been working at The Advisory Board Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This job is preferable to homelessness most of the time.
    That's about it.

Cons

I *seriously* recommend that you find another job. I realize the pressure that you feel to find a job out of college but stop, turn around and run like the wind. You don’t want to work here. This review is strictly limited to the education side (EAB) but I don’t recommend working in healthcare easier. Here’s why:

5)You will get no respect from anyone. I’m not talking about millennial entitlement; I’m talking about human dignity. If you happen to be a minority (non-white), you will get even less. I’ve never said that about anywhere I’ve observed in my life but I’m saying it about EAB. Sad but true.

Cliffs: Horrible pay, petty childish dynamic among MAs that includes lots of lying & back stabbing because everyone is so desperate to hit impractical goals, lack of respect, lack of opportunities to advance. Conclusion: RUN FORREST RUN..in the opposite direction.

Advice to Management

Please stop letting favoritism rule the roost. 25 year olds are not mature enough to be managers and they need way more training than you give them before you unleash them on the staff.