The Advocator Group Reviews | Glassdoor

2.6
The Advocator Group Chief Executive Officer Julie Turpin
Julie Turpin

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Management is open to suggestions and did I mention free bagel Fridays" (in 25 reviews)

• "Employee Engagement committee is fantastic in offering professional development all at the companies expense" (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • "Thie mission statement behind the Advocator group is very enriching however the actual service that the" (in 8 reviews)

• "We need better health insurance" (in 4 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Client Advocate Scheduler"

I have been working at The Advocator Group full-time

Pros

I started working at The Advocator Group about a year ago and it's a great company to work for; when I first started I was trained appropriately for my position and felt like I fit in with my teammates. Everyone works as a team, management is professional, understanding and approachable. Every year the whole company gets together for an outing at the all company meeting- it's a great way to get to know fellow teammates that you might not work with/see on an every day basis. Also there is a kick off meeting which our whole office goes to in the beginning of the year, this year it was Dave and Busters. Oh and did I mention..bagel Fridays !

Cons

At this time I have no cons.

Advice to Management

At this time I have no advice.

May 29, 2018 – Vice President, Consumer and Marketing

Thank you for taking the time to leave us your kind words! We are thrilled to hear you enjoy being part of our team. Teammate satisfaction is extremely important to us, so we highly value your... More

2. "Client Advocate"

Current Employee - Client Advocate in Lake Mary, FL
    Current Employee - Client Advocate in Lake Mary, FL

I have been working at The Advocator Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Company Transparency, Schedule Flexibility, Company Culture Events

Cons

Healthcare plan options are moderate and have opportunity for improvement.

Advice to Management

Quarterly reviews are valuable, however I think it vital to ensure teammates receive consistent feedback on short-term generated metrics on production for immediate course correction.

Oct 9, 2018

Thank you for your positive comments about our transparency, schedule flexibility, and corporate events. Our teammates are vital to our success, and so we strive to foster a culture based on... More

"A lot of has changed over the years"

Current Employee - Client Advocate in Wakefield, MA
    Current Employee - Client Advocate in Wakefield, MA

I have been working at The Advocator Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Very hard work does not go unnoticed and you will be compensated for it.
    - The Employee Engagement Committee allows the opportunity to engage with other departments and partake in fun activities.
    - Casual dress just kicked in 3/2019- Woo Jeans!
    -They are moving away from schedules and are going toward a "working hours" method- Yay, more flexibility!
    - You are helping people who need help, the work can be rewarding at times when you have a very appreciative client or coworker.
    -You can use this experience and help family members and friends with SSDI.
    - Referral program allows you to receive a $200 bonus for every referral by just talking about the program with clients.
    - They are open to new ideas and suggestions and will try to adjust the work based on those.
    -Claim handler method allows you to build a close rapport with clients and holds everyone more accountable. You have more control!
    -You will work with some awesome people within a supportive environment-they want to see you succeed.
    -Lightning Sale force makes handling claims so much more easier and faster.

Cons

-Although hard work does not go unnoticed, it is hard to move up the ladder as new growth opportunities arise very slowly.
    -While possible, it is very hard to prioritize your work flow because there is always something new added to it daily/ weekly/ monthly.
    - Regular Audits (3 or more a month) can cause anxiety and frustration- but are used to help you improve.
    - The quarterly employee review "Score Card" takes a while to fill out and it is hard to complete while trying to work on your other million of things you need to get done.
    -It is a desk job. You won't have the chance to get up and walk around often. Stand up desks are only permitted with a doctors note or you (may be able to) buy yourself. Prepare the weight gain.
    -Constant change also causes anxiety, especially for those not able to adapt well. -They do not know how to properly run the IC/RC department yet. They are trying to figure it all out. You can expect changes to your workload at least monthly.
    -Clients are sick and not well. Work is backlogged and done incorrectly at times because the SSDI is complicated. Often times, you will find yourself dealing with an escalated /upset/ crying client rather than a rewarding experience.
    -It can become very frustrating when cleaning up the trash from other employees and you eventually become numb to all of the sad things you can hear. from clients.
    - Low Retention rate effects your workload and morale.
    - The bonus program that was rolled out a year ago in 4/2018 for awards, has not been utilized because we cannot hit quarterly goals.
    -This job is not for the short-tempered or impatient.
    -Health insurance is sub-par, but Brown and Brown has control. Not The Advocator Group.

Advice to Management

The Retention Rate is low in the ICRC department, but seems like it is improving. Continue to listen to your employees and adjust work based off of the reasonable recommendations. The Client Advocate role needs to be tiered, from phone que worker to senior client advocate (because we are all aware no one enjoys the phones). Another way of getting rid of or limiting phone time, would be to have clients routed to claim handler. Therefore, phone time would be to take call support and CCC only! That way, you could have people start off on the phones and work their way up to case manager. Stick to your word and hold management accountable. Create a growth/ development plan for employees. There needs to a course of action for burnt out employees. The only one I have seen is once your already out of the door, a job offer is handed to you or more $$. Usually its too late.

Apr 12, 2019

Thank you for taking the time to leave us such thoughtful feedback. We are happy to hear that you feel valued by our variety of incentive programs and employee engagement initiatives. We want to... More

"Unfortunate Career Move"

I have been working at The Advocator Group full-time

Pros

Some genuinely kind, caring individuals. A smart business model designed to help those in needs. Beautiful business complex with onsite lunch service and walking pathways.

Cons

This company has yet to find their way. They are lost in the midst of an inexperienced leadership team. Shame on me for not checking Glassdoor prior to accepting my role. I knew I had made an incredible mistake after only a few weeks. The recruiting team is intelligent and well-spoken, but not completely truthful during the on-boarding. If they can sell this place, she can sell ice to an eskimo. The promises they make aren’t true. The true situation. Voluntary turnover is rampant and the culture is dismal. The benefits are so poor and expensive. There is no way to support and provide your family on the compensation and benefits package. Make sure you ask about the cost details, especially for the family plan. I didn’t and I was in shock when I found out my first week. Shock.

I stand by the mission of this company, however, the way this company is being run and the way the employees are treated is absolutely shameful. I would recommend reading the reviews from this past year, in my experience, they are mostly accurate. I hope this company finds a path to success, but wish I researched more thoroughly before entering this catastrophe.

Advice to Management

- Senior Management: You may know the industry, but you don’t understand true leadership, or people management. Emotional intelligence training and management style culture alignment would be my advice. It’s a tough pill to swallow, but you don’t know everything and intimidation is not a productive managerial strategy.
    - Recruiting talent is being wasted. Find a company to represent that doesn’t require you to trick people into joining. You’re better than that.
    - Leadership, Please listen and fix this place.

Feb 15, 2019 – Vice President, Consumer and Marketing

Dear Teammate,

Respectfully, I don’t believe that your comments reflect of our company nor our culture. As a growing and successful enterprise, I acknowledge that areas for improvement do exist... More

"Real Review"

I have been working at The Advocator Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

My manager says we need to come on to this and show “real” reviews so y’all can see what is “really” going on ..

- everyone is happy all day
    - we smile
    - the pay is super
    - the benefits don’t make you go broke
    - we care most about the claimant not the $$$$$$
    - the ceo isn’t a self obsessed monster

Every thing here is real, real good for real. Really. Smile face.

Cons

This place is the absolute WORST. Run, run, run. This place has changed me, my boyfriend, friends and family know it. Nothing they can promise can be worth it. There are liers TRUST me personally I’m so close to getting out

Advice to Management

Inconsequential; none of you listen. Enjoy your snakes in the swamp you created. Kings and Queens of the swamp and your happy with that aren’t y’all? Enjoy

Jan 31, 2019 – Vice President, Consumer and Marketing

As someone who has been with the organization for more than three years, you are well aware that one of the tenets of our teammate Playbook is the concept of graceful exits. We want the best for all... More

"Happy Employee"

I have been working at The Advocator Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pros include close-knit team environment. Clean modern workspace, investing in technology. Casual Fridays and many provided breakfasts and lunches. Awesome annual meetings. Work with employees whenever possible to accommodate schedules of life. M-F Schedule, business hours 830-530 for most roles. A great rewarding role, helping others. Most all holidays off. Pro- female organization. Wonderful benefits package.

Cons

Very high call volume. Stressful interacting w clients. Very limited advancement. Hourly wage caps on earnings for job roles. Training inconsistent.

Advice to Management

Wonderful Senior Leadership. CEO knows employees personally, by name and remembers people's information well. Middle management can be overly petty in an effort to possibly advance themselves in the organization. Some departments are completely overlooked on recognition and gift card style drawings. These things are important to hourly employees...be sure those middle managers include their teams!

Jan 23, 2019

Thank you for your kind words and positive feedback. It’s important to us to provide our teammates with a supportive, fun, and uplifting environment, so we are happy to hear you appreciate the... More

"Process Specialist"

I worked at The Advocator Group full-time

Pros

Free parking Nice people nice office.

Cons

No job security. Terminates employees very frequently. Favoritism at it's finest. Very unproffessional managers. Three women had cancer and still had to come to work because of PTO policy.

Advice to Management

They don't care.

Jan 23, 2019

We appreciate your taking the time to leave us your feedback. Cultivating a positive and motivating work environment is important to us, so we are happy to hear that you found our office space nice... More

"This Will Never Be The Best Place To Work.... Stop Trying!!!!"

Former Employee - Client Advocate in Wakefield, MA
    Former Employee - Client Advocate in Wakefield, MA

I worked at The Advocator Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Absolutely none! Thank you TAG for letting me go. One of the best things you ever did for me!! I got a better job where they actually called me and recognize talent when they see it. I do however, appreciate the knowledge you gave me on Salesforce and Call Miner. I would not recommend my worst enemy to work here. The stress and anxiety this place causes is sickening. And how does one plan their unplanned absences?? Never figured that one out!! Don’t listen to the positive reviews those people are either new or are still drinking the kool aid.

Cons

Most of the employees, the management, those women who management deems appropriate to lead a team and the overall feeling that you are walking to your death every time you walk in the door.

Advice to Management

Fire 99.9% of the people there and start fresh!! Don’t hire people right out of college who think they know everything because they don’t!! Hold the employees who have been there for years close and stop treating them like 2nd class citizens. And also stop treating your employees like 2 year olds. And don’t promote 3 catty, two faced, unprofessional women to supervisors who do nothing but talk about people. That is why nothing ever works in the case department!! You make famous “you change like the weather”!! You think you would get it by now!!

Jan 23, 2019

While we appreciate you taking the time to leave us feedback, we are sorry to read your grim comments about our team and work environment.

Our role as advocates for disabled individuals is... More

9. "A Good Experience"

I worked at The Advocator Group full-time

Pros

Weekends off. Solid Benefits. Overtime available. Made Life Long Friends.

Cons

Occasionally overwhelming. Heavy workload. Call Center-Like Environment.

Advice to Management

None at this time.

Oct 9, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to leave us your feedback. It’s important to us that our teammates feel supported and appreciated, so we are thrilled to hear you were pleased with your benefits and... More

"Client advocate"

Current Employee - Advocate in Wakefield, MA
    Current Employee - Advocate in Wakefield, MA

I have been working at The Advocator Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Easy parking and free coffee

Cons

You can take this job and think it can’t be as bad as the reviews but it’s actually worse. It’s where people go to die. Management is mean two faced the job itself is horrendous, if I could save a life please listen.

Advice to Management

You’re probably not able to manage your checkbook let alone a team.

Oct 9, 2018

Thank you for leaving us feedback. While we are glad to hear you enjoy the perks we proudly provide to our teammates—such as free and easily accessible parking and unlimited free coffee and tea—we... More