Cover image for Brown & Brown Absence Services Group

2.7
Brown & Brown Absence Services Group CEO Mike Shunney
Mike Shunney

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "Nice people to work with(in 7 reviews)
  • "There are tons of activities for the staff and the CEO and COO make you feel like part of the family.(in 5 reviews)
  • "Monthly Town Hall meetings with senior leadership to keep everyone updated on company performance and change.(in 5 reviews)
  • "everyone is happy all day(in 4 reviews)
  • "Praise and acknowledgement is constantly given by upper management.(in 3 reviews)
Cons
  • "poor management(in 10 reviews)
  • "Severe favoritism and unprofessional supervisors.(in 7 reviews)
  • "Pay is low and HR does not have the open door policy they claim to have in the employee handbook.(in 6 reviews)
  • "There was one great supervisor, who genuinely cared about us client advocates.(in 6 reviews)
  • "The longer it takes to get you awarded, the higher the past due benefits are...(in 5 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great company culture and purposeful work

Apr 6, 2022 - Anonymous Employee in Wakefield, MA
    Business Outlook

Pros

The company helps those on disability, which makes my work feel like I make a difference. The culture is also exactly what they advertise, meaning even leadership comes through with diversity, inclusion, compliments, celebration, etc. It's a great company to work for! Also, the benefit plan is a cheap $500 deductible and employees can buy into stock.

Cons

Sometimes the work can be hard, but that is from external reasons such as the emotional toll disability can take on the clients we help. It takes a confident professional to feel the value in the work we do, no matter how difficult it may appear at times.

2. 2.0

You Unfortunately Can't Afford to Work Here

Oct 21, 2022 - Anonymous/Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

The sad part about this review is that I actually enjoy the work, but they refuse to pay their employees what they are worth so I won't be able to afford to do it much longer. The work from home option is also really nice.

Cons

I have worked for this company for years now, and not once have they had a cost of living adjustment, not even with how bad the inflation has become the last few years. They recently announced that Social Security is getting their largest cost of living increase ever, and went on about how great that is for our clients, but can't see that their own employees are drowning. Currently I could get a job at a fast food restaurants or retail, for a higher rate than I am making now. They speak a lot about making sure that we are taking care of our mental health, and not being too stressed out. We were just advised that taking a vacation is a great way of recalibrating. Which just shows that they truly don't understand that most of our mental health is having a toll taken on us stressing about paying our bills, or having second jobs that have no work life balance, and that a vacation is a luxury many can't afford and rubbing it is is awful. There is also no real room for advancement, despite the call for making sure we take every opportunity for additional training to do just that. Every time a manager or supervisor leaves, we just eliminate the position to save money, so there is no where for any of us to move up to. Also, if you aren't in a customer facing roll you will not get recognition for your work. They choose to get all of their shoutouts from customer reviews, which many positions will never receive in their line of work, which means you will not feel seen, in what you do each day.

4 people found this review helpful
  3. Join the Brown & Brown Absence Services Group team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Low Pay, Poor Benefits, No Room for Growth

Oct 12, 2022 - Advocate
    Business Outlook

Pros

I can't think of any pros.

Cons

Pay is horribly low, especially considering fast food workers in CA are going to be paid $22 per hour to start. That's more than I made here, and I have a college education. In addition, there is no room for growth. I was here for four years and all I got for my hard work was virtual "ribbons" or virtual "good job badges" - so lame. There are no bonuses or incentives to work harder than you have to just to keep your job.

5. 1.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

This company should be shut down.

Aug 2, 2022 - Supervisor
    Business Outlook

Pros

Pros if you are a member of senior leadership, which is a group of about 10 people at the top of this small company who constantly get their titles changed to add words like Senior and VP. I’m sure these yearly title changes come with significant pay increase and bonuses. That must be why raises are typically 2-4% a year for the rest of us. No increase for inflation this year though I do believe they increased their fees with the clients this year. I got 3% raise, I’m sure senior leadership got a very nice bonus. I got sidetracked, you asked for pros. There is none. Last time they promoted someone in my department was 2017.

Cons

Working here for more than a year or two will lead to incredibly stagnated career growth. It will set you back, don’t do it. They seem to be focusing on micromanaging this year as seen across all departments.

5 people found this review helpful
  6. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

RUN Forrest RUN... And keep running! The bad reviews are all true

Apr 19, 2022 - Anonymous Employee in Daytona Beach, FL
    Business Outlook

Pros

Absolutely nothing, better off flipping burgers at Burger King.

Cons

All the good leadership already left the company. The Advocator Group, owned by Brown and Brown, only cares about the bottom line. They care how they look under the brown and brown umbrella. When you talk to their sales (intake) team, they pitch you a great campaign on why you should trust the Advocator Group. They do their job to get you to sign their paperwork so they can legally represent you. Once you sign the paperwork, they will help you file the application. Depending on the type of client you are... Meaning if you are backed by a long-term disability company or not, they will help you fill out the other questionnaires that are required. If you are not with a long-term disability company, you are own your own. The Advocator Group (TAG) talks the talk about wanting to get you award at the initial level... but think about it.... they do not make their money if you get awarded right away. How does TAG get paid??? they get a percentage of your past due benefits. The longer it takes to get you awarded, the higher the past due benefits are... The more they get paid... So when you think about it. They do not want to get you awarded until the hearing level. Speaking of the hearing level.. That's a joke, you do not get to talk to an attorney until days before you hearing. The manager who overseas the hearing team is judgmental and rude to the team.

7. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

This company is incredible to be a part of!

Apr 1, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in Daytona Beach, FL
    Business Outlook

Pros

Higher than average pay, plenty of paid time off, supportive working environment, great benefits, opportunity for advancement

Cons

I haven't really found any cons

3 people found this review helpful
  8. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Great company with great people!

Aug 17, 2021 - Salesforce Administrator/Business Analyst in Portland, ME
    Business Outlook

Pros

One of the reasons I love working for Brown & Brown Absence is because of the people. The amount of talent that I get to encounter daily has advanced my career exponentially. The people I get to work with love their job and love the work they do. Secondly, I love the flexibility the company provides. They are truly an understanding and accommodating company to work for!

Cons

I believe all companies can always improve their communication. So, if I have to say something improving communication would be it!

9. 1.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Incompetency Abounds

Mar 23, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in Daytona Beach, FL
    Business Outlook

Pros

The company is flexible with allowing you to work remotely.

Cons

In my experience there is lack of room for career growth. Despite the name, this company is separate from Brown and Brown Insurance - they do not share an HR department. It's an okay place to work for a year or two but you will quickly hit a ceiling if you want to move forward in your career. The pay is very low and most people are paid hourly. Overtime is not encouraged in my department despite the high turnover rate and constant covering of other people's work. The HR department offers a job shadowing program but that's all in terms of career growth and development. The previous CEO was excellent and energetic. Revenue seems to be down under the current CEO and his weekly company wide emails seem self-indulgent. In my experience there is no incentive to work above the bare minimum.

10. 1.0

Garbage

Feb 9, 2022 - Account Manager in Wakefield, MA
    Business Outlook

Pros

None at all. Pure garbage.

Cons

Very low pay for a high stress job

11. 5.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Good

Sep 24, 2021 - Client Advocate in Wakefield, MA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Decent pay. Regular Hours. Great Friends.

Cons

Very high paced environment. Somewhat stressful at times.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 105 Reviews
</>Embed

Brown & Brown Absence Services Group Reviews FAQs

Brown & Brown Absence Services Group has an overall rating of 2.7 out of 5, based on over 109 reviews left anonymously by employees. 38% of employees would recommend working at Brown & Brown Absence Services Group to a friend and 42% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has decreased by -11% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Brown & Brown Absence Services Group employees rate their compensation and benefits as 2.6 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Brown & Brown Absence Services Group. This rating has decreased by -13% over the last 12 months.

38% of Brown & Brown Absence Services Group employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Brown & Brown Absence Services Group 2.8 out of 5 for work life balance, 2.8 for culture and values and 2.5 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Brown & Brown Absence Services Group to be workplace, senior leadership, coworkers and the cons to be career development, benefits, management.

Popular Careers with Brown & Brown Absence Services Group Job Seekers