The Advocator Group Reviews

3.1
The Advocator Group CEO Mike Shunney
Mike Shunney
Pros
Cons
  • "There's also very little room for climbing up the ladder unless you are related or friends with upper management(in 9 reviews)

• "Thie mission statement behind the Advocator group is very enriching however the actual service that the(in 8 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"People who care"

Current Employee - Client Advocate in Daytona Beach, FL

I have been working at The Advocator Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

The people not only care about our clients, but also about each employee. The top executives listened to what employees needed most for them to love their jobs. The dress code was changed, flex hours were added, I-Pad stations were made available for use during down time, internal hiring is followed, and shadowing opportunities are available to learn about other jobs in the company. Remote work positions are available. Top executives have an open door policy and Julie Turpin, who knows employees by name, has taken time to teach relaxation time and focuses on "whole person" satisfaction.

Cons

The company is constantly looking for ways to improve its service to clients and its efficiency. Sometimes changes are not communicated to the employees who need to know as they do the work on a daily basis. There are no re-training or "brush-up" sessions offered. Our employees are spread out over several offices in Massachusetts and Florida. You don't get to meet them in person even though you work with them everyday. A common complaint is the high expense of health care.

January 28, 2020

Thank you for taking the time to leave us your feedback – we appreciate your kind words and are happy to have you on our team! We’re pleased to hear that the teammates investments we have implemented over the past year have meant so much to you! Teammate satisfaction is key to our success, so we look forward to continuing to make changes that matter most to our stunning teammates like you! We’re also happy that you have enjoyed and utilized opportunities to get to know our CEO, Julie, better. We also appreciate her willingness to share things that have made an impact in her life personally, like the relaxation techniques you referenced, with our team! Thank you for also sharing honest and constructive feedback regarding communication and training. As a company with multiple office locations, it is important to us that our teammates feel as connected to one another and to our processes as possible. We always push ourselves to think differently about communication and ways it could potentially be improved, as keeping our teammates informed plays a vital role in our success. We also understand your desire to meet your colleagues in person, which is why we’ve recently begun utilizing video technology like Skype and Zoom for meetings to increase visibility and help form deeper relationships. Lastly, regarding the high costs of healthcare, this is something we know matters deeply to our teammates and it is a regular topic of conversation. Changes like this are very challenging to make, but we appreciate your honesty and hope to be able to provide teammates with solutions to this in the future. Thank you, again, for your time and your helpful feedback – we’re looking forward to a great 2020!

"Pretty Great"

Current Employee - Client Liaison in Daytona Beach, FL

I have been working at The Advocator Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great training and teamwork amongst all the staff. They truly have the best interest of their staff at hand. Love the culture and unity amongst everyone to see everyone succeed in the company as well:

Cons

None thus far that can be mentioned

May 6, 2020

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave your feedback – it is great to hear from teammates who are having a good experience! We value each of our stunning teammates and look forward to fostering their personal and professional development. We love having you on the team and are excited about our journey together!

"Incredible group of people to work for"

Current Employee - Hearing Advocate in Daytona Beach, FL

I have been working at The Advocator Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

The company culture is like nowhere I've ever worked before. These people truly care about the clients and work hard to help those in need obtain SSDI benefits. The leadership truly cares about employees and there are many different programs in place to recognize people who go above and beyond. The pay and benefits are outstanding, the teamwork is first class, and the bonus program is very well thought-out.

Cons

I haven't really seen any cons as of this point.

April 28, 2020

Thank you for taking the time to leave us your feedback – we truly appreciate your kind words and are glad to have you on the team! We want to provide our clients with the best possible service as they navigate the complex Social Security disability process. To do that, it is important that we have teammates who, like you, are excited about and engaged in the work we do! We are glad to hear you feel valued as a teammate – we strive to increase teammate satisfaction and have made significant progress in this area in the past few years. We have also put a significant focus on recruiting all-star teammates and it seems we have zeroed in on a good formula to do so! We encourage you to speak with your manager or leader should you have any stunning teammates like yourself to refer! Thank you again for using your time to leave us feedback – game on!

4. "Good Company"

4.0
    Current Employee - Client Advocate in Daytona Beach, FL

I have been working at The Advocator Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

GOOD BENEFITS AND FLEXIBLE HOURS

Cons

Nothing to mention here, no complaints.

March 9, 2020

Thank you for taking the time to leave us feedback! We are glad to hear that you are enjoying the use of flexible hours – one of the recent initiatives implemented to increase teammate satisfaction. It is important to us that teammates are able to enjoy a work/life balance and we continue to look for ways to implement changes and perks that matter most to our teammates! We see that you do not recommend our company and are sad to see that in light of the pros you thoughtfully listed and that you do not see any cons. We urge you to connect with anyone on the leadership team to let us know what other qualities you would like to see in our organization to recommend us to others. Thank you again for taking the time to leave a review.

"They treat you like robots"

Former Employee - Client Advocate in Wakefield, MA

I worked at The Advocator Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Bagel Fridays, Monday-Friday schedule, Yearly company outing/meeting

Cons

All they care about are numbers, not about the employees

January 28, 2020

We appreciate you taking time to leave us feedback. We’re glad to hear you enjoyed some of our employee perks, such as free bagel breakfasts on Fridays, the ability to customize your own weekly schedule, and our fun meetings and events. We aim to implement initiatives that appeal to all our teammates and these three items are among the many perks we offer which teammates have repeatedly expressed mean a great deal to them. Regarding your claim that all we care about is numbers, we respectfully disagree. Metrics/numbers are certainly important to running a successful business that is hoping to grow as we are; our leadership takes pride in being open with our teammates about our progress toward key goals throughout the year. Many organizations lack this type of transparency, however, this certainly does not mean that we value numbers more than our teammates. Over the past year or so, we’ve made intentional efforts to survey our teammates and implement initiatives that will most significantly increase their satisfaction and connection to their workplace. These include—but are not limited to—casual dress, flexible hours, holiday gifts, and training opportunities. We are sorry that you feel your time spent with us was negative overall; we wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors.

"It's all good until you get on the floor."

2.0
    Former Employee - Client Advocate

I worked at The Advocator Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

Pay is decent for the area.

Cons

Work culture isn't as described.

October 3, 2019

We appreciate you taking the time to leave us your feedback, and we are pleased to hear that you found the pay to be fair. We’re sorry to read your other comments about your experience. It’s very important to us that our teammates have a positive experience; we regularly survey our teammates for feedback on cultural changes they would like to see. We have implemented many of these requested changes over the past year, including casual dress, flexible hours, and more to foster a motivating and engaging work environment that our teammates enjoy. Regarding your comments around the workload, we are sorry that you found it to be unmanageable. We are upfront about the nature of our work when new teammates come on board, as we manage a large caseload for clients that require a great deal of time and attention. We fully support any teammate who decides we aren’t the right fit for them, and therefore chooses to gracefully exit from our organization.

"The Advocator Group"

Former Employee - Hearing Documentation Specialist

I worked at The Advocator Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexibility in hours and possibility of working remote

Cons

Benefits were ok but not great: health insurance was expensive, as a full-time hourly employee you had to work 40 hours and if you dipped below due to an emergency or appointment you had to use you PTO as though you were salaried. Communication was sparse between management and their teams.

August 8, 2019

We truly value teammate feedback, so we thank you for taking the time to leave yours. We’re glad to hear that you enjoyed the flexible schedule and ability to work remotely, as these are two meaningful ways in which we seek to help our teammates maintain the work/life balance they desire. It’s important to us that our teammates feel appreciated and valued, so we are sorry to hear that you were not entirely satisfied with the benefit offerings or PTO policy. Many of our teammates do work on hourly schedules, and while we are happy to be able to offer flexible scheduling, this does not mean that the cumulative number of hours worked per week may fluctuate. We certainly understand that life happens and there will be times when a teammate may need to arrive late or leave early, and our policies do in fact support these instances. Because many of our hourly teammates provide critical support to clients as they navigate the complex Social Security disability process, ensuring full coverage each week is critical to our success as a business and the well-being of our clients. We thank you for your time and your feedback and truly wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors.

"Quick Burnout"

Former Employee - Client Advocate in Wakefield, MA

I worked at The Advocator Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

This company does what it can to keep things interesting. Inter office competitions, company outings, and holiday parties. For the most part, the people that work there are nice. Every company has a few bad apples, however.

Cons

Not a whole lot of room for advancement. Client list grows too large to handle workload. You can not give your clients the one on one attention they need, and deserve, because you've got 600+ other clients to call.

August 15, 2019

We appreciate hearing that you enjoyed our various employee engagement initiatives, including, but not limited to, holiday parties and corporate outings. Additionally, we agree that we are fortunate to have so many excellent and kind teammates working with us! We are sorry to hear you felt there wasn’t a lot of room for advancement. We make a strong effort to acknowledge and reward employees who exhibit the behaviors of a “stunning teammate” (based on public, pre-defined performance standards) and are very transparent about our desire to train teammates to grow into leadership roles wherever possible before hiring from outside our organization. Additionally, we recognize that our advocates have a significant workload, but we work hard to ensure that both our teammates and our clients have the best experience possible. This includes offering our teammates flexible scheduling and providing clients with specialized teams of advocates they can speak to consistently to help them feel connected and cared for throughout the process. We’re sorry to hear that you felt “burnt out” by our environment, but we recognize that no company will ever be the right fit for everyone. We thank you for your feedback and wish you luck with your future endeavors.

"A lot of has changed over the years"

4.0
    Current Employee - Client Advocate in Wakefield, MA

I have been working at The Advocator Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

-Very hard work does not go unnoticed and you will be compensated for it. - The Employee Engagement Committee allows the opportunity to engage with other departments and partake in fun activities. - Casual dress just kicked in 3/2019- Woo Jeans! -They are moving away from schedules and are going toward a "working hours" method- Yay, more flexibility! - You are helping people who need help, the work can be rewarding at times when you have a very appreciative client or coworker. -You can use this experience and help family members and friends with SSDI. - Referral program allows you to receive a $200 bonus for every referral by just talking about the program with clients. - They are open to new ideas and suggestions and will try to adjust the work based on those. -Claim handler method allows you to build a close rapport with clients and holds everyone more accountable. You have more control! -You will work with some awesome people within a supportive environment-they want to see you succeed. -Lightning Sale force makes handling claims so much more easier and faster.

Cons

-Although hard work does not go unnoticed, it is hard to move up the ladder as new growth opportunities arise very slowly. -While possible, it is very hard to prioritize your work flow because there is always something new added to it daily/ weekly/ monthly. - Regular Audits (3 or more a month) can cause anxiety and frustration- but are used to help you improve. - The quarterly employee review "Score Card" takes a while to fill out and it is hard to complete while trying to work on your other million of things you need to get done. -It is a desk job. You won't have the chance to get up and walk around often. Stand up desks are only permitted with a doctors note or you (may be able to) buy yourself. Prepare the weight gain. -Constant change also causes anxiety, especially for those not able to adapt well. -They do not know how to properly run the IC/RC department yet. They are trying to figure it all out. You can expect changes to your workload at least monthly. -Clients are sick and not well. Work is backlogged and done incorrectly at times because the SSDI is complicated. Often times, you will find yourself dealing with an escalated /upset/ crying client rather than a rewarding experience. -It can become very frustrating when cleaning up the trash from other employees and you eventually become numb to all of the sad things you can hear. from clients. - Low Retention rate effects your workload and morale. - The bonus program that was rolled out a year ago in 4/2018 for awards, has not been utilized because we cannot hit quarterly goals. -This job is not for the short-tempered or impatient. -Health insurance is sub-par, but Brown and Brown has control. Not The Advocator Group.

April 12, 2019

Thank you for taking the time to leave us such thoughtful feedback. We are happy to hear that you feel valued by our variety of incentive programs and employee engagement initiatives. We want to provide our clients with the best possible service, and we know that that begins with cultivating a culture in which our teammates feel energized and valued. Therefore, we’ve introduced some changes like our new casual dress code, working hours, and continued investments in useful technologies. We are happy to be able to offer our teammates options like this that help create a better work/life balance and fulfill our core value of enriching lives. Ensuring that our teammates feel empowered to not only do their jobs well, but to grow and achieve their goals is one of our top priorities, so we appreciate your thoughtful and honest feedback. We are excited to continue fostering a culture of growth, care, and engagement throughout 2019 and beyond, and teammates like you will help us continue to make great strides toward our goals. Thank you for your time and your input; we’re glad to have you on the team!

"Real Review"

I have been working at The Advocator Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

My manager says we need to come on to this and show “real” reviews so y’all can see what is “really” going on .. - everyone is happy all day - we smile - the pay is super - the benefits don’t make you go broke - we care most about the claimant not the $$$$$$ - the ceo isn’t a self obsessed monster Every thing here is real, real good for real. Really. Smile face.

Cons

This place is the absolute WORST. Run, run, run. This place has changed me, my boyfriend, friends and family know it. Nothing they can promise can be worth it. There are liers TRUST me personally I’m so close to getting out

January 31, 2019Vice President, Consumer and Marketing

As someone who has been with the organization for more than three years, you are well aware that one of the tenets of our teammate Playbook is the concept of graceful exits. We want the best for all of our teammates, and we believe that, when someone feels as you do about this organization, the best outcome is a graceful exit. We would happily facilitate this for you; please speak to your manager or HR. Our organization is far from perfect, but we work to improve the experience of our teammates and our clients every day. We take issue with your statements, particularly because, as a tenured teammate you have been able to participate in incentive compensation programs, benefit from the flexibility of our scheduling policies, and enjoy the many perks we offer our teammates – most of which are driven by our CEO’s desire to create a productive, engaging workplace. Also, as to your statement regarding caring more about money than our clients, we wholeheartedly disagree. We are a public, for-profit company. To that end, yes, we are thoughtful and focused on both the top and bottom lines of our business. However, that is never at the expense of the client experience. In just the past few years that you’ve been with the organization, you’ve seen us make considerable investments in staffing, technology, and quality programs, all geared at strengthening the client experience. Certainly, not investing in those critical initiatives would have improved our margins, but that is not solely what we’re about and so we made different choices on behalf of our clients – and we will continue to do so. Lastly, you reference “snakes in the swamp you created.” We take that as a thinly-veiled allusion to the leadership roles we’ve recently created throughout the organization. When we identify teammates who are eligible for a promotion within our organization, we do not simply consider tenure in our decision-making. Those that receive promotions are those that consistently demonstrate stunning teammate behavior, which includes being accountable, showing up in a professional manner, and delivering strong performance. Those who rarely or never demonstrate those behaviors are not on our short list for opportunities, it’s as simple as that.

Found 82 reviews