The Agora Companies Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.9
Myles Norin

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Comes with a great work/life balance (in 6 reviews)

• Vernon campus is just gorgeous and makes for a very beautiful work environment (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Some growing pains on systems and processes that have been around a long time (in 3 reviews)

• The company has grown significantly over the last few years and continues to grow (in 2 reviews)

"Worth the time to get in"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at The Agora Companies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

minimal micromanaging, freedom to try new things and explore new ideas, support from management for growth. If someone needs lots of guidance and oversight - this is likely not the place for you!

Cons

They hire people who work hard and take on new challenges without being asked which creates more work than one typical role woud usually allow, but it also a great opportunity to grow, learn, and explore new fields.

Advice to Management

they seem to have it figured out.

Oct 12, 2017 – Communications & Media Coordinator

We couldn't agree more. You'll hear people say that the key to success in this organization is to find a void and fill it. It's an easy enough concept for everyone to understand, but it's not for... More

2. "Managing Editor"

Former Employee - Managing Editor in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Managing Editor in Baltimore, MD

I worked at The Agora Companies full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Relaxed workplace environment
    Low corporate culture
    Good career opportunities - learned a lot
    Excellent HR department
    No dress code
    Friendly employees

Cons

As company has grown, it's lost some of its culture/character/soul - become more bureaucratic
    Some of the promotions are too aggressive and over-hyped - damages credibility

Apr 13, 2017

Thanks for taking the time to post, and best of luck to you in your new career.

"Agora IS a scam, be careful..."

Former Employee - Content Writer in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Content Writer in Baltimore, MD

I worked at The Agora Companies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You get paid for the work you do

Cons

All of Agora companies - Money Map Press, Stansberry Research, Oxford Club, Agora Financial, all of them, scare and steal money from old people. The whole Agora business is set up to take money from old people's retirement in the guise of helping them build up their retirement. Thousands of dollars a year. Some of these retirees called to cancel as they didn't have the money after investing into this fraudulent scam, but instead of giving their money back, they were talked into paying more! And the time when one of the Agora companies claimed to have found the cure to cancer. They had calls from so many families, begging for the name of the cure. But it was totally made up. Totally a scam to get them to call so they could be up-sold to. It's all a scam.

I've been in meetings with new college graduates who didn't know one thing about money or investing making up ideas on how to market the business to retirees.

I've also been in meetings with design who were told to make up a financial equation with random numbers and symbols so the marketing promotion to the email list of retirees looked 'real', although it was totally fake.

Agora also uses false 'companies' so that they can hire US workers for their overseas affiliates without having to pay the proper US taxes.

Someone should look into reporting them.

Advice to Management

Be real! You do have some great people working there with great ideas for investments, but to use lies to bring in business? And frighten old people out of their money, just to get their email address and money? You should be ashamed of yourselves.

Apr 13, 2017

This is an interesting interpretation of what The Agora Companies do for their customers, and would make for a scintillating scandal... but unfortunately it lacks much validity.

In fact, what The... More

4. "Hard to get in but worth it!"

Pros

Cutting edge great income opportunities

Cons

Like most big companies

Apr 13, 2017

Thanks for taking the time to post, and best of luck to you in your new career.

"Fun Place to Work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I worked at The Agora Companies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunities
    Company attracts and retains people who enjoy being there, good coworkers at most levels.
    Great flexibility and benefits

Cons

Very little support or training. This is for people who self-motivate and can educate themselves
    Company way usually differs from standards that are the norm elsewhere.
    Management overall poor, can be vindictive, will not advance people who are not favorites.

Dec 13, 2016

These "cons" are interesting. The first two are mostly true - but not "cons" in our opinion. Our companies tend to err on the side of caution when it comes to training... More

"Corporate Trainer & Course Developer"

I have been working at The Agora Companies (More than a year)

Pros

Great location, fosters innovative thinking and idea sharing. Holiday pay.

Cons

Low Salaries, expensive health benefits

Dec 13, 2016

As an employee of Publishing Services, which has a page of its own, you might consider posting there as it's difficult for us to address your concerns with much detail. But knowing what we know about... More

"Wonderful place for a publishing internship"

Former Employee - Intern in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Intern in Baltimore, MD

I worked at The Agora Companies part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Hands-on work
    -Incredible location
    -Great company culture
    -Bosses work heavily with lower-level employees
    -People are passionate

Cons

-No real internship program
    -Some publishing affiliates are cut-off or under-valued
    -Culture varies from affiliate to affiliate
    -Could be more dynamic

Advice to Management

Better training, more standardization across publishing affiliates, and really that's it--it's a great, mature company that knows what it's doing

Dec 13, 2016

It sounds like you've gotten a good "first glimpse" of The Agora Companies... but there is still much for you to learn. So we hope you stick around. But we'll take a minute to address the... More

"Great Place to Work"

Former Employee - Copywriter in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Copywriter in Baltimore, MD

I worked at The Agora Companies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Agora is a great place to work--casual, intellectually stimulating environment. The company cares about its employees. You will be intellectually stimulated and challenged. Comes with a great work/life balance. Very little hierarchy.

Cons

Well, it's in Baltimore. That's a big drag. Get used to hearing sirens blare every few minutes or so. And news stories about all sorts of mayhem going on around you. But that's not the company's fault. Other than the location, Agora is a great place to work.

Advice to Management

There really is no "management" to speak of. The place has a very non-hierarchic structure to it, with lots of communication between everybody.

Dec 13, 2016

Hmmm. We happen to love our Baltimore campus. But I guess if you're not into being in the midst of the arts and cultural hub of the city surrounded by great restaurants, pubs, shops, and historical... More

"Horrible"

I worked at The Agora Companies full-time

Pros

They promise a lot when you begin!

Cons

They change things around and move people around all the time! I had no work to do after being transferred to two different departments! I was then fired for "performance!" How can you be reviewed on performance when you have nothing to perform!!
    I literally had to beg to get any type of work and was insulted in the process. I was told that I will jeopardize the software and that my education was not good enough!

Advice to Management

Hire managers who respect their employees!

Dec 13, 2016

It's not that we "like" to see reviews like this, but frankly we aren't troubled by them either. Yes, The Agora Companies do tend to change constantly, and that can involve moving people... More

"Huge growth, good benefits, good company"

I worked at The Agora Companies full-time

Pros

Agora continues to grow rapidly and there is always room to grow or learn a new skill. The people are great, the environment is very fun and the work is stimulating.

Cons

Nothing in particular that you wouldn't find at any major company

Dec 13, 2016

Glad to hear you're taking full advantage of being a part of this network. We appreciate your having taken the time to post a review, and wish you continued success in your career.

One last... More