The American College of Financial Services Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Robert R. Johnson

1. "On the cusp of something good"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bryn Mawr, PA

I worked at The American College of Financial Services full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of varied opportunities
    Senior leadership is generally accessible
    Competitive pay, benefits
    Very flexible schedule
    The people actually care

Cons

Location is pretty awful
    Kind of directionless right now, losing money and taking on risky ventures
    Not a "fun" place to work. People are generally nice, but it can be cutthroat and nobody is big on socializing
    There's a few "special people" who the college will invest in. Everyone else is disposable
    You never really know if you're going to still have a job in a few months

2. "Great company to work for"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Deerfield Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Deerfield Beach, FL

Pros

Benefits: PTO, Medical, Dental, Holidays etc
    In growth Mode
    realigning departments to work better together
    Great people to work with

Cons

was behind the times in technology (currently making changes to become more efficient)

Advice to Management

Keep heading in the right direction with Focus to Grow. Aligning all departments should make the organization work extremely well together.

3. "Director"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bryn Mawr, PA

I worked at The American College of Financial Services (More than 3 years)

Pros

This is a great place to work.

Cons

None; enjoyed my time there.

"Poor Working Environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boynton Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boynton Beach, FL

I have been working at The American College of Financial Services (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits including healthcare and PTO

Cons

Upper management is not aware of industry changes and they are behind the times in terms of technology. Constant changes of strategy. Overall feeling of instability and not a positive environment.

"Concerned about future of college"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bryn Mawr, PA

I have been working at The American College of Financial Services (More than 8 years)

Pros

My manager and senior leader seem to care about me as an employee and also handles all issues without involving unnecessary people.

Cons

The new president does not meet employee expectations. Since he started he has bragged about his money and himself non-stop (bike trip, vacation time, never seen on campus - who has that much vacation time?), repeatedly praises inept people in weekly emails, hangs with the millennials he thinks makes him cool and blatantly ignores employees (the hard working little people) in the hallway. Because of these reasons, the president has less than a handful of true followers as we all are blatantly aware of the truth.

There is huge concern about the future of the college. In less than 2 years, the President has hired more senior leaders, promoted, demoted and fired good employees, and increased the staff population all when we are not bringing in half of the revenue that we used to. We also have been spending money on unnecessary items such as Fitbits for all employees, free lunches just to get people to attend events, etc. How we can spend as much money as we do, and turn around and ask for donations for a new building and continue to bleed out money on unnecessary things. Where is our integrity?

We already know we will not meet the 3-5-7, or even 1. We think that if employees do not get a bonus, none of the senior leaders should get a bonus either. Eventually, there will have to be layoffs, and these layoffs need to start at the top.

Advice to Management

We are all concerned about the future of the college, many of us have been here for a very long time and work hard to see it succeed. I am not sure how you come back from this. You have lost the respect of your employees. When we have spoken up, you have dismissed our concerns. Many of us miss the past president, he might have had a yearly list, but at least he was a leader who wanted the college to be successful. As the current president continues to say, he doesn't need this job, he is wealthy, and it shows in your lack of management of your team and the failing success of the college.

7. "There will always be people who don't like their job..."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bryn Mawr, PA

I have been working at The American College of Financial Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Strong compensation, benefits, and paid time off. Improving culture. Educational opportunities. Growing community. Encouragement to lead from the bottom-up. Organization-wide incentive programs. I love it here, but I do believe we need to go beyond just encouraging middle management to lead from the bottom-up; there is still quite a bit of micromanagement going on where senior leadership might as well be the project lead.

Cons

The organization is still in a period of transition. We have a lot of new people, and a lot of committed professional staff. It's a complicated mix, but we have to take the good with the bad.

Advice to Management

I've been here three years, and I see some of the reviews on here and wonder if we even work at the same place as some of these negative people. When our new president came in, we all took a step back and realigned our focus as an organization - we cut the fat. For a while things were strong, but I think the focus has again become blurred. Let's take another step back and look at where we're not hitting our marks, and let's fail quickly and recover. Continue to focus on culture and values, people are much happier than before.

"Poorly lead organization"

Current Employee - Unknown in Bryn Mawr, PA
    Current Employee - Unknown in Bryn Mawr, PA

Pros

College offers ample vacation time

Cons

Salaries/promotions based on favoritism and nepotism. Middle management wrought with incompetent leadership placed in those roles solely based on questionable relationships with senior management. Current president can best be described as childish. With few exceptions, senior management is only seen walking between their offices and meeting rooms, very little contact with regular staff. Beware recent positive reviews of the American College. Senior management recently promoted an effort to have their favorites write reviews for Glassdoor.

Advice to Management

Please begin to promote from within based on education level, leadership experience, industry experience and ability.

"Cracked organization"

I have been working at The American College of Financial Services full-time

Pros

I genuinely like my job and I'm not looking to move up the ladder to a VP but I would like to stay where I am, and continue to grow into other roles, but that is definitely a possibility here.

Cons

Pay is low, comp project is a big joke. No education opportunities for actual skills training. We would like to learn how to use PeopleSoft and Microsoft Office better, but our requests seem to fall on deaf ears. I feel like this place may be hurting careers because what we do does not transfer externally. None of our titles or even jobs that we do can be translated outside of this place, unless you are IT. We even have a few people whose main job is to walk around and pretend to be busy all day and collect a paycheck. Lunch with the president is a joke because the HR leader sits and takes notes which does not promote a safe environment. The president dismissing remarks made at the lunch shows that he is not open to listening to the truth and the way that any issues have been handled is an embarrassment.

Advice to Management

Give us the skills training we need and realize there is a big problem that can't be fixed by using the people that are already in power, they are your issue. Some of these issues are easy to fix, but you have to want to fix them. By posting reviews, we obviously want to be heard and want changes made. We question the integrity of those in power and those that are not in power and try to do the right thing obviously get treated like crap.

"Needs Overhaul"

Former Employee - Admissions Advisor in Deerfield Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Admissions Advisor in Deerfield Beach, FL

I worked at The American College of Financial Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits and time off are great

Cons

Constant Sales practice changes and training is sub par. Leads are a worn out joke.

Advice to Management

Understand that without sales everyone should just go home. Dales division in Deerfield beach should top being treated as an afterthought..

11. "Customer Service"

Former Employee - Professional Services Education Counselor in Drexel Hill, PA
    Former Employee - Professional Services Education Counselor in Drexel Hill, PA

I worked at The American College of Financial Services (More than 5 years)

Pros

Reasonable pay. Good benefits. Educational opportunities.

Cons

Nonprofit organization. Lay offs. Office in basement.