The American Institute of Architects Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
The American Institute of Architects CEO Robert Ivy
Robert Ivy

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Improving, but slower than before"

Current Employee - Senior Director in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Director in Washington, DC

I have been working at The American Institute of Architects full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work-life balance is good. People really care about what they do. There is a feeling that we can change the world--sometimes.

Cons

VP's are still the roadblock. They are trying to change, but it is painfully sloooooooow. The silos are still there and deep as ever

Advice to Management

Break it all apart. Be transparent--completely transparent, and trust that the staff are competent and will do the right thing.

2. "AIA is an AMAZING place to work!"

Former Employee - Manager, Component Communications and Information Resources in Washington, DC

I worked at The American Institute of Architects full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Today is my last day at AIA and I am leaving with a VERY heavy heart. It is an amazing place to work. Every person is kind, friendly, and compassionate. The office culture is wonderful - there are monthly lunch and learns, frequent volunteer opportunities, and dozens of networking opportunities. There is not a feeling of a "hierarchy" and AIA has an open-door policy. You could stop into the CEO's office if you needed to and have a discussion. It is a welcoming place filled with wonderful, creative, and intelligent people. The pay is also very competitive and the benefits are amazing.

Cons

I do not have any cons. It is an incredible place to work!

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

3. "Mehh"

I have been working at The American Institute of Architects full-time

Pros

The organization is good for a first job...

Cons

....but if you are looking for meaningful and bigger responsibilities, look elsewhere.

4. "Great people, challenging work flow, dismal workspace"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at The American Institute of Architects full-time

Pros

The people at AIA are friendly and fun. The work we do can be meaningful, whether it's increasing diversity in the architecture profession, improving sustainability in the built environment, or helping members run small businesses. The staff is committed to our members and excellence.

Depending on your team, there's a lot of flexibility in work hours and the opportunity to work from home once a week.

The pay is low, but the vacation days are generous.

Cons

As meaningful and the work can be, working with interdepartmental staff can be a challenge. We often rely upon teams in other departments to get our work done, but run in to road blocks when other teams don't share Institute goals. The senior management team is working on breaking down the silos, but the culture transformation is slow.

By far one of the worse things about working at AIA is the office environment. The building is a mix of 60's brutalist architecture combined with a maze-like, early 80's, grey cube farm. One would expect the professional organization for architects to be an innovative, artistic, functional workspace, but it's poorly planned and depressing.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work on breaking down departmental silos.

Improve the office space!! If we "believe in the power of design", let's show it in our work space.

"Office and Design that is a dream come true for a young designer"

Former Employee - Designer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Designer in New York, NY

I worked at The American Institute of Architects full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The office culture is fantastic, everyone is outgoing and great at working through design problems, you learn something new everyday.

Cons

Employee's are blacked out and administration never really fills anyone in on what the big picture is. You are strictly on a need to know basis and if it isn't your project you don't need to know or hear anything about it.

Advice to Management

Weekly Staff meetings, or at least something to get everyone checked-in on the status of the office. If you have your strongest player always on the bench then their employment for a certain skill is pointless

"Great place to work"

Pros

Great if you're interests is architecture

Cons

I have no cons for this review

"Nice place to work"

I worked at The American Institute of Architects full-time

Pros

Well organized, reliable, steady place to land. They are above board and thorough. No weird nonprofit problems like running out of money. Office is cheerful and other staffs are nice to work with. Animals can come to office.

Cons

A rather stodgy environment. Even though the office is all women, the real leadership on the board is a lot of old white men. Low pay like any other nonprofit. Too much focus on fundraising.

Advice to Management

Loosen up and let young people lead

"Your experience at AIA depends on your department and supervisor."

I have been working at The American Institute of Architects full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Location? Attempts at better company culture through "values" (which are useless when not adopted and support uniformly around building).

Cons

Tons of red tape, crooked politics and obstacles at every corner. Supervisors do not listen to employees. Your experience will depend completely on what department you work for and your boss. Pervasively low morale around the organization that workers hide well to keep their jobs. Stuffy antiquated management styles. Pay is not equitable across departments (although not exclusive to this employer). Very sneaky management. Supervisors do not have their employees best interests in mind. My years here have been very disappointing and I would not wish work at this organization to my worst enemy.

"Meh"

I worked at The American Institute of Architects full-time

Pros

- great work/life balance bc of generous teleworking and flex schedule opportunities
    - excellent benefits
    - good location
    - lots of autonomy

Cons

- lots of turnover so hard to have continuity on staff or project direction
    - membership treat staff poorly
    - few programs/incentives designed for staff retention, little to no opportunity for promotions
    - no bonuses

Advice to Management

invest a little more in the staff and things will run more smoothly

"Headed in the right direction, but slowly"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at The American Institute of Architects full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Location, facility, people, benefits, work/life balance. The organization was gaining momentum around being a more agile, relevant, diverse.

Cons

The priority during my tenure was reorganizing the Board to make it easier to get decisions made. As a result, many new strategic initiatives were not getting funded in a timely fashion. Also, I witnessed some outside hires which were damaging to the culture, when there were qualified candidates within.

Advice to Management

Look to groom existing talent and promote from within. Accelerate efforts to become more agile, relevant, diverse.