The Arc of Monroe Reviews | Glassdoor

The Arc of Monroe President & CEO Barbara S. Wale
Barbara S. Wale

"Terrible! Stay away!"

I worked at The Arc of Monroe full-time

Pros

Really, the only positive about this employer is the people that you serve there.

Cons

Company went way downhill after Barb Wale took over. All the good managers left and the only ones who stayed were the unethical ones who would do anything to move up in the company. They built a workplace environment of fear, where people were constantly worried about getting fired. My director asked me to do something unethical and I refused. I was labeled a "trouble maker" from then on. There is a loud and clear message that you are only a "good" employee if you shut your mouth and don't publicly disagree with management.

The Arc of Monroe2016-10-06

"CEO needs to retire"

in Rochester, NY

I worked at The Arc of Monroe for more than 5 years

Pros

PTO is great if you can take the time off. The clients make you feel like you are the most important people in the world.

Cons

Leadership is very self focused. They don't have any idea what is going on in the houses or the day programs. The only time they pretended to care about the employees was when the union tried to organize the employees. Employees do not dare challenge anything for fear of being fired. The CEO needs to retire. She doesn't connect to the staff and is very condescending.

The Arc of Monroe2016-06-23

"Team Leader"

Team Leader in Walworth, NY

I have been working at The Arc of Monroe

Pros

I work for Fairport Day Services. I love management that works at FDS! I enjoy working with the guys I have come in contact with.

Cons

I wouldn't work for anyone but for Fairport and I wouldn't either. I don't think higher management appreciates anything that we do.

The Arc of Monroe2016-01-01

"I honest cannot believe this place"

I have been working at The Arc of Monroe

Pros

They don't actually whip your during the enslaving.

Cons

Never have worked for a company that refuses to pay you. Literally I am disputing my check that my supervisor refuses to submit.

The Arc of Monroe2015-10-30

"Iss"

I have been working at The Arc of Monroe full-time

Pros

Go on outings with residents Develop relations with residents/co workers Services Gain experience in human service field

Cons

Staff appreciation Increase in pay

The Arc of Monroe2015-09-18

"Good stepping stone for other companies"

Former Employee - Individual Support Specialist in Rochester, NY

I worked at The Arc of Monroe full-time for more than a year

Pros

I was at one of their Day Habilitation sites, so your mileage may vary in other aspects: -Thorough training in Developmental Disabilities when I started, including a brief mention of LGBT Cultural Competency when I was hired in Feb 2011 -Empathetic and supportive coworkers for the most part -Exposure to different medical and psychiatric needs, was a good stepping stone for Psych Technician work at a different agency -Adequate health insurance, but great PTO (4-6weeks, if I recall correctly) The only downside with PTO was the opportunity to "cash out" PTO which was nice for Christmas presents and textbooks, but the people who needed the money the most were also not taking enough vacation time

Cons

During my tenure there the Arc was going through a union battle. The work environment became ugly. Lots of whispering around the company and anger. People who were pro union, or just trying to learn more by going to union meetings were verbally attacked by anti-union staff. Those that were against the union accused pro union staff of hating the company and the clients we served. I left around the time of the vote for a different job at an outside agency, and I think I left on fairly good terms, I just hated to see the fighting. That being said, issues separate from the union- -"religious" staff who were openly homophobic and transphobic. I tried addressing this concern to the director in terms of a "cultural competency education" and I was shot down, which was a bummer, seeing as my agency wide training tried to be LGBT friendly -difficulty moving up in the company. I was going to school for a Master's in a Human Service profession. I tried applying for a case management position and was turned down, even though I met a majority of the requirements. I saw others with less experience and education than I move up into case management positions. -skills learned not necessarily transferable. CPR/AED trainings had to be redone at my next job, my G-tube feeding experience was not transferable as I lack a nursing degree -funding cuts difficult for music and rec therapists. I heard when those staff left to pursue other opportunities that the site could not formally hire another therapist, so those without a therapist degree were hired at a "specialist" level. While I'm sure they do their job well, I heard from other staff that the quality of groups for clients has suffered -funding cuts also affected our budget to a local large grocery chain and we were encouraged to work with tighter budgets and order food supplies from a local food bank. That seemed a little insulting to staff having to use foodbank resources for clients already on SSI/SSD Medicare Medicaid to have to use a foodbank when the agency had the resources to use a grocery chain. In my room we tried to stick to using the grocery chain, or paid out of pocket -reprimanded for paying out of pocket. There were multiple times where staff would pay out of pocket with no expectation or intention of being paid back. Before I left staff were being reported for doing that. While I understand it looks bad when staff have to do that, I also had the expectation my role was like a teacher and there would be times I would pay out of pocket for items. I'd rather spend my own money and give my clients a quality craft or experience than have to fight with substandard materials and a terrible budget -Staff culture could be mixed. There were staff who loved their jobs and their clients, and those that burned out and were only there for a paycheck. Most of times, it seemed like these were staff that cared for a long time, but with low pay and few opportunities to move up, staff became disgruntled and burned out often. -felt like begging for vacation time, as a certain number of staff out of the building left the building short, but it seemed like a fight to take a day off when you were feeling really drained, and it always felt like the same staff always had certain Fridays off (this is probably typical drama for most businesses)

The Arc of Monroe2015-08-14

"Individual Support Specialist"

I have been working at The Arc of Monroe full-time for less than a year

Pros

Most laid back job I've ever worked for, the individuals, PTO, and holiday pay.

Cons

Management MANAGEMENT MANAGEMENT!!!!!! My house is horrendous, our manager is very spiteful, and there's no on else that we can go to to report her because everyone works together pretty much against the staff at times. The pay is O K for the work you do. We've been understaffed for atleast 6 months therefore we've been constantly pressured to continuously pick up shifts. Although overtime SEEMS good, I work in a special needs home, so it's very tiring and hard on your back and legs. The staff are ok, but trust me you can get paid more elsewhere for the B.S. You have to put up with in this field! Trust me.

The Arc of Monroe2015-01-22

"fun, but not worth moving up the ranks"

Former Employee - Individual Support Specialist in Rochester, NY

I worked at The Arc of Monroe full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I worked in an art center

Cons

The bonuses stopped the year after i left and the pay isnt enough to support yourself comfortably.

The Arc of Monroe2013-02-25

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Found 18 reviews