The Art Institutes Reviews in Milwaukee, WI | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
The Art Institutes President George Sebolt
George Sebolt

Pros
Cons
  • Terrible Management and no work/life balance (in 29 reviews)

• No room for growth, constant downsizing (in 15 reviews)

1. "Administration needs to go"

Current Employee - Digital Film in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Digital Film in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at The Art Institutes part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The students want to learn and need good instructors, shorter classes would be helpful to assist with the learning process.

Cons

The administration is more interested in making money than assuring the students have what they need to succeed.

Advice to Management

Listen to your instructors, spread out courses between more faculty instead of one or two with 6 and the others with 1

"Adjunct Pastry and Baking Instructor"

Former Employee - Adjunct Pastry and Baking Instructor in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Adjunct Pastry and Baking Instructor in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at The Art Institutes part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Collaborating with other instructors
    Teaching new cooks.
    Pay was good but they will try to find ways to not pay you for certain hours.

Cons

Everything about the corporate parent company.
    Shady recruitment procedures.
    After teaching my first semester of classes and planned on teaching the next semester I was informed two weeks before my class was scheduled to begin that they had canceled my class and I would not have a class. Poor planning and projection.
    The branch is not surprisingly slated to close when the current students have finished.

Advice to Management

Quit being greedy. Only accept applicants who meet certain requirements. Dont take advantage of the ones you are supposed to be teaching.

3. "Assistant Director of Admissions"

I have been working at The Art Institutes full-time

Pros

Pay was above average and I enjoyed working with the creative students and staff. The technology and curriculum were amazing for the students. Great paid time off package for quality of life.

Cons

Corporate has a cookie cutter approach that does not get adjusted at the local campus level. I was told that the quantity of calls over quality was their expectation. I had 3 Directors in less than 2 years. The schedule was changed all the time in admissions. From my perspective, the right and left hand do not know what the other is doing, hence the announcement of a gradual campus shut down.

Advice to Management

Stop promoting or changing regional leadership every 3-5 months. Listen to what the local management has to say and implement some of it. Stop recruiting the biggest high schools with the poorest socio-economic student bodies. Have the reps. focus on the schools with the strongest art and cooking programs. Make all campuses have portfolio requirements to get the most talented students out there.

5. "change gonna come one day"

Current Employee - Janitoral in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Janitoral in Milwaukee, WI

Pros

Employment=$$$ that's the only pro

Cons

Ignorant nasty students and teachers, I clean after both and both are equally nasty

Advice to Management

Nope

6. "Adjunct Art Professor"

Former Employee - Adjunct Professor in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Adjunct Professor in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at The Art Institutes part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Being surrounded by young eagar minds ready to dig as deep as possible into everything art is a huge Pro in my opinion.

Cons

You're required to serve mandatory office hours for each class you instruct, but they don't pay you for it.

Advice to Management

Your system is becoming more and more fubar.
    Stop ignoring faculty's requests and do the right thing for a change.

"Good Teachers…curriculum and requirements need to be revised"

Current Employee - Adjunct Faculty in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Adjunct Faculty in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at The Art Institutes part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good, quality faculty members, and almost ALL are concerned with educating the students. Quite a bit of latitude in exactly what you teach in class. Good feedback system from students you teach. Pay is good.

Cons

Some class curricula needs to be revised quite a bit…it's out of date. ALso, classes are assigned to students out of order sometimes, putting more advanced students in classes with beginners.

Advice to Management

Listen to some industry professionals, and update and revise curriculum.

"Pass on ANY ADA position and value yourself!"

Current Employee - Assistant Director of Admissions in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at The Art Institutes full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Meeting and talking with prospective students

Cons

Know that you're "selling" students an education that is too expensive and not necessarily accredited. It's a FOR-PROFIT "college" meaning that it's the admissions office job to recruit and keep up with numbers instead of really helping the students and their families throughout the admissions process. Expect to spend all day on the phone chasing down 'leads' (calling a list of potential students who showed interest either by just clicking a site or calling a 'warm call' line).

Advice to Management

Please show more interest in your employees work quality instead of gossiping about other employees. It show favoritism and sets a terrible tone for the type of work environment you are encouraging.
    The training process was more of a 'figure it out' game instead of in depth training.
    Also, in order for employees to pass certain required tests, it's not acceptable to have them ask for for other employee's to take the test for them while you turn a blind eye and close your office door.
    Be mindful of compliance issue.