The Art Institutes Reviews | Glassdoor

The Art Institutes Reviews

Updated February 27, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
Cons
  • Terrible Management and no work/life balance (in 29 reviews)

• No room for growth, constant downsizing (in 15 reviews)

1. "Great Place to work"

Former Employee - Assistant Director of Admissions in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Assistant Director of Admissions in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at The Art Institutes full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Passionate, motivated students make it a very rewarding place to work (I was in Admissions). Very diverse student body, and extremely satisfying to watch the students grow and launch into the careers you've helped them achieve.

Cons

Upper Management has made some bad choices in the past (and some of those choices are with regard to who has been in Upper Management). Some of their "strategic" decisions made little sense, e.g., deciding to open and then to close various campuses.

Advice to Management

The people closest to the problem are the people closest to the solution. LISTEN to your front line people.

2. "Watch your back if you work there!!"

Current Employee - Assistant Director of Admissions in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Assistant Director of Admissions in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at The Art Institutes full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some amazing professors. Small classrooms for students. Great updated equipment for students. Programs are very specialized and if it is the right fit could be great for the student.

Cons

for profit school that is having all kinds of issues internally. Restructuring recently and closing of many schools has made things not so great for employees or many students. Who knows if even the good schools will stay open. Management does not seem to care about employees no matter how good performance is. There are a lot of cliques and unprofessional relationships in the office. If you decide not to join it could cost you your job.

Advice to Management

Break up the cliques and get a backbone. Stand up for your good employees and do what it takes to take care of the students and the people who actually do that and make that happen. Quit kissing the behinds of the people you manage so they will like you because that is not what you are there for.

3. "Meh"

I have been working at The Art Institutes part-time

Pros

You can get out in 3 years.

Cons

The people who walk you through the campus, pitch you statistics of graduation/employment rates, and handle your first contact at AI are sales people...

5. "my experience as an Adjunct Instructor"

Current Employee - Adjunct Instructor in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Adjunct Instructor in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at The Art Institutes part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people are great. The work atmosphere is professional, warm and friendly. Supervisors are understanding. The students are often motivated and talented. As an instructor you receive support but also freedom to teach how you want.

Cons

Pay is on the low side, and as an adjunct I have not been assigned enough classes to make a living. I have been there a year. I started out teaching only one course and and still will start the next quarter teaching only one class. (One quarter I was assigned three courses but then it was back down to one.) Enrollment is down due to the Art Institutes' reputation having suffered a beating in the national media, as well as more general trends in the industry. The future of my particular school (Fort Lauderdale) is uncertain due to our accrediting agency recently having had its license taken away by the Dept. of Education. (However the different locations are not all accredited by the same agency.) We are still accredited as of this writing but the school has a limited time to make alternate plans to receive accreditation from another accrediting body.

Advice to Management

Pay better.

6. "Instructor"

I worked at The Art Institutes part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great culture with exceptional instructor expertise.

Cons

The reputation of the school wasn't very strong and eventually the stopped accepting applications.

7. "No stability, no growth"

I have been working at The Art Institutes full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Creative and art focused students are constantly surrounding you with exciting new work, employees get awesome discount on Adobe Creative Suite products.

Cons

The company is falling apart. Any efforts or time spent trying to set roots or make momentum are worthless, this place is closing any minute.

Advice to Management

Just be honest with your students and employees about the health of their education and professional futures. It's pretty heartless to continue pretending this is a solid place for anyone to invest their resources.

8. "Great co-workers, terrible company"

Former Employee - Full Time Faculty
    Former Employee - Full Time Faculty

I worked at The Art Institutes full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great co-workers and some very nice students.

Cons

Terrible management. Only concerned with making money and getting students in the door regardless of whether they are qualified or not. Not providing financial support to the programs to support the education that students are paying for and entitled to

9. "Satisfactory working environment"

Pros

Good work experience for future career opportunities

Cons

abusive manager-employee relations, working environment encourages hostility among co-workers, and very tense working environment.

10. "Academic Affairs"

I worked at The Art Institutes full-time

Pros

My time with AI was fulfilling, providing challenges to make things better for the students and faculty every day. Giving students the opportunity to learn the skills to succeed as professionals in a field of the creative arts was always satisfying.

Cons

As time progressed during my years of employment, there was less and less ability to influence the direction of the the school locally.

Advice to Management

Make better decisions that will support the great opportunities that the schools have been able to offer students for so many years. Listen to your people and trust that they know what they are doing.

11. "Financial Aid"

Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Virginia Beach, VA
    Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Virginia Beach, VA

I worked at The Art Institutes full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice facilities and the students are wonderful!

Cons

Terrible Management and no work/life balance

Advice to Management

Better training for managers!