The Art of Shaving Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.6
Eric Malka

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great product which can enhance mans life (in 21 reviews)

• Pretty good company to work for good pay,benefits easy to manage (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management was very unrealistic (in 24 reviews)

• You're never going to make any of corporate's delusional sales goals because online shopping has been the present while TAOS stores will be of the past (in 18 reviews)

"Work Here If You Already Have Money Because You Will Be Gravely Disappointed At Your Checks"

Current Employee - Retail Specialist in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Retail Specialist in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at The Art of Shaving full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Finely crafted products that outstandingly perform. A very well done product selection for shaving, beards, hair, body, and fragrances.

Customer base can be very loyal. Their loyalty is what keeps stores in business. And they are the ones that brighten up your day.

Generous discount (if you can afford anything other than the basics) allows for your staples to never run out and people love gifts from TAOS because it's a luxury brand. Once you shave with an awesome razor after lathering with a brush while using fine products and accessories for your grooming, you will never go back. Ever.

Clean, pristine environment with a great blend of music. It's a beautiful store that is a constant joy to be in as far as the vibe and the presentation. Barber Spas are fantastic because during a very slow time, you can get a little pampering done.

Working alone a lot can be quite nice especially if you are disciplined and focused because you can get a lot done on a slower day. Sometimes students will bring their laptops to work and others will bring their projects to complete.

People who work at the home office that take care of the dailies are very supportive in working with the stores to resolve matters, whether on behalf of the store or the customers.

Usually stores will have at least one or a few registers which is better than closing nearly ten or more registers each night.

Everyone who works at TAOS permanently gets a key so there are no Keyholder or Lead positions.

Usually, TAOS stores will be at wonderful shopping spots so you get to meet new friends that become old ones and so forth. TAOS has an eclectic mixed staffing and customer base which is really fun in retail.

Cons

Working alone a lot means that stores often employ bare minimum staffing which translates to lack of breaks and full lunches, inability to take time off, be sick, and working while off the clock. Finding coverage for a shift is like discovering the Hope Diamond in a toilet at a gas station: ain't gonna happen.

You're never going to make any of corporate's delusional sales goals because online shopping has been the present while TAOS stores will be of the past. This fact is obvious by the stores that have closed down permanently (and many of those stores "performed"). The whole ISS/HDS program is a strong indication that stores will be shutting down quickly because overall, the company is not comping. This is not new news but has been the downward trend across all stores in the US.

Nobody applies to work for TAOS because the jig is up and people have left in herds, exiles happening, stores having full teams walk out. Those actions indicate a lot. Managers and staff have had to beg friends of family and such to apply. People are just truly unhappy and disappointed by the way TAOS operates as a business (which is owned by P&G who know nothing about true retail storefronts).

There are many reviews of this company (on just Glassdoor alone) that speak on the commission structure change, lack of making money, no more raises (for the past 5 years, at least for our region), no more full time hours, and candidates who were sold on, "the opportunity to make a lot of money". Those reviews are completely accurate. Unless you're living at home with your family, you've already got money in your pocket from another job, are already sitting pretty with money in general or share an apartment with three to six other people, the wages TAOS is paying their employees is not livable by any means. As of now, most stores are starting their people off at a dollar or so above minimum wage and this is to sell a $200 razor.

From the tippity top: No viable and effective marketing, horrible communication, ivory tower gods have no people skills, field management lack ability to read a situation to enforce, aid, inspire, or create solutions, no motivational rewards, controls freaks who don't work at store and retail level on a daily basis so they don't know what's really going on. There is no education or training on anything like other companies nor are their any perks or gratis on new launches. If a store is having issues, technical or business, there is nobody to reach out to. Stores don't aid one another. Especially nowadays since nobody is making any money.

Sadly, the many not so positive reviews of TAOS are very true and spot on. When you're on your way to work, you really have to psyche yourself up because the stress load of not meeting your various key performance indicators is high. You'll be chastised or ignored, called out or be called on. You never win but you don't even break even so for many people, why play TAOS' game?

If you choose to work for any TAOS stores, be prepared to have a tough skin because you'll need it. This company will chew their best people who've dedicated their lives to running stores and assisting field managers and spit them out like yesterday's news. May I remind you that there are less than 160 stores in the US so from a mass retailer standpoint, 160 isn't mass so TAOS should be easy to manage and a joy to work for. That's strangely not the case.

Good luck to any applicants who accept any offers and don't buy into the "opportunity to make a lot of money" because the people interviewing you are equally as miserable and broke as those who are already working for them.

Advice to Management

There's a difference between a manager and a leader. An effective person is both and attains results seamlessly, even during bumpy times.

Learn to communicate properly by listening and asking the right questions the right way.

Retail level employees are not all stupid so don't ever disregard and discount what they do to keep you in the position you're in. Without us, you at the top wouldn't exist.

Sexual misconduct in a workplace from a misogynistic culture such as TAOS is beyond inappropriate.

Employees should not sell because of fear and fear is what you've instilled to your retail front line. You, at the top, are destroying what could have made many things better. Yet you've chosen to destroy it. It's all in front of you. Just open your eyes and listen well because you, too, soon shall be obsolete. And TAOS doesn't want obsolescence, does it? I think not.

"Issa Paycheck I guess..."

Current Employee - Shaving Consultant in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Shaving Consultant in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at The Art of Shaving full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There’s not really alot of pros But I love working alone so thats a plus for me. (My opinion) Pretty easy job. DM’s can be a headache but I learn to just do whatever they say even if it makes no sense...No point in arguing..This is a perfect job for a student or someone who os retired and already have money.

Cons

Terrible rate of pay, no raises EVER, District managers are bully’s, Goals that are impossible to make, benifits are trash and commission is non existent.

3. "Great company, but doesn't offer a future..."

I worked at The Art of Shaving full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent products. If you enjoy product knowledge, it makes for an excellent learning experience. Also, the diverse community of client you meet makes everyday interesting and enjoyable. I come from a visual management background, and really appreciated the freedom I was given to highlight my creativity

Cons

Lack of appreciation for my investment and commitment. I worked very hard and really put myself into my store. I gave 150% to my store, the brand, and it clients but corporate did not give me the opportunity I felt I deserved. It was unfortunate, but I wanted to expand experience and growth.

Advice to Management

Appreciate talent when you have it. Protect your investment, rather who invest themselves in their work. Recognize passion and commitment. Your company is only as good as the employees you hire to represent it, and I was one of the Great Ones along with my Manager who had left as well.

4. "Shave consultant"

Current Employee - Shaving Consultant in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Shaving Consultant in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at The Art of Shaving full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I don't have any pros after working here for more than a year

Cons

No breaks alone half your shift no coverage high expectations on in store kpi and internet sell goals,and whole sale hours Management out of touch of retail wage discrimination sexual harassment over looked/compensated with higher wage and promotion! expectations and policy are only for some . You will be labeled a complainer if you expect manager to do her job.

Advice to Management

Just because you say everyone MATTERS doesn't make it believable you actually need treat employees with respect stop lieing We are not stupid

5. "Key Holder Shaving Consultant"

I worked at The Art of Shaving part-time

Pros

Great training program to learn product

Cons

Work weekends and some holidays

"part time shaving consultant"

Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate

I worked at The Art of Shaving part-time (More than a year)

Pros

amazing products and great customers

Cons

Leadership or lack their of -unprofessional conduct -manage by fear and intimidation- threats and negative commentary ...ALL THE TIME

Advice to Management

Develop your staff and work with them to reach results- Stop managing with fear tactics and creating a negative atmosphere. Stop posting conversations about employees on social media where everyone can see them...UNPROFESSIONAL ...have you forgotten what the company stands for? It was built by 2 creative and successful people who now would not recognize what is happening nor would they stand for it. It is a shame.

"A vigorous work environment with realistic goals and room for growth."

Current Employee - Shaving Consultant in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Shaving Consultant in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at The Art of Shaving full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent rates, higher up-management is always willing to work with you. Flexible work life/social balance. Wonderful product lines and advertising.

Cons

None at this time. After a year with this company I am confident my list of cons will remain empty.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you’re doing.

8. "Run for your life while you still have one!"

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at The Art of Shaving full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good product an that’s about it!

Cons

Upper Management is not nice or helpful to store managers.
    They treat store managers as their puppets who have to d exactly what they want.
    Company is so focused on signing clients up to replenish their products on line, they are writing people up if they don’t make those replenishments goals that they have for them.
    They hire District Managers who have no idea what they are doing, but they are great at writing about 20 emails a day with some stupid requests...

Advice to Management

Stop stressing your employees so much to the Point they don’t care anymore!
    Don’t lie on your interviews about bonus and commission!
    Since you are so demanding and have such a high expectations for your employees, how about treating your employees nice so that they want t work for you???
    Try that approach it would work much better!
    Look at your turn over!
    You Chang your employees more often than your own socks, I bet!

"Bad company to work for"

I have been working at The Art of Shaving full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The product is good and that’s about it

Cons

Impossible to make good money

Advice to Management

Stop lying to people at interviews that they will make money on commission. That is not happening!

10. "Mgr"

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at The Art of Shaving full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great team, Good job and benifits

Cons

Too much of a strain during non peak times to hit goals