The Author Incubator Reviews

Updated Jan 13, 2021

Found 17 of over 21 reviews

4.4
The Author Incubator CEO   Angela Lauria (no image)
Angela Lauria
  1. 5.0

Progressive, forward thinking environment

Jan 13, 2021 - Executive Assistant in Reston, VA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Progressive, inclusive environment with smart, dedicated teammates.

Cons

No cons come to mind.

Be the first to find this review helpful
  2. 1.0

Will give you PTSD

Sep 14, 2020 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

The only two pros are that it looks good on the resume (Unless of course someone knows the company and who runs it) and that, if your lucky, you get flex work hours and work from home.

Cons

Gaslighting to the nines. Constant undermining and emotional abuse from management. Company is extremely unstable (management blows all the money on private jets). Don't waste your time.

3. 1.0

don't waste your time

Jul 29, 2020 - Finance Team
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great coworkers who truly care about each other.

Cons

Racist company that uses the black lives matter movement as a guise, but then lay off 7 people of color and 0 white people.

The Author Incubator Response

President

While I concede our company, like most in America, is probably filled with unconscious bias and built on a foundation of white supremacy, I work hard to counter that. I am open to the idea I failed in a recent round of coronavirus-induced layoffs. Here are the facts: 2 space managers were laid off. One black. One white. 2 senior managers were laid off. One black. One white. 1 finance person was laid off. There were 2 on the team. Both black. We laid off the more junior member and offered some contract work. All editors and designers were laid off and offered contracts as a change in employment structure. 9 lay offs. 2 black. 7 non black. 14 Total lay offs. 5 black. 9 non-black Note: most but not all non-black people are white. I didn’t want to spell out the other races to avoid identifying people. I’m sorry this person felt discriminated against in the lay offs. Lay offs suck. So does this pandemic.

4. 5.0
    Current Employee

Unbelievable place to work for.

Dec 3, 2018 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

This place is beyond incredible. Convention is abhorred, and there's absolutely every effort to avoid the kind of stifling dehumanization you get at any other job. It's not a slot to stuff a body in to get a task done. It's actually, genuinely a place to work together with awesome people to do awesome things. Very strong commitment to values. In other, more technical terms, great policies for vacation and hours and all that stuff. Company policy is to take care of staff first. Beautiful, comfortable, modern office. Best pro is the people here. No nasty personalities to suffer through; everyone is caring, sweet, supportive, and friendly. It's a joy to talk with them every day, and everyone steps up to help you when you need it.

Cons

I have not personally found any. If you're lazy and a procrastinator, looking for a job where you have a lot of downtime and get to watch Netflix all day, this isn't for you. It requires that you put all your effort in. It's easy to do, and mistakes are not punished but a lesson to be learned from. You just have to be willing to actually work and try.

5. 5.0

Integration and Alignnment

Dec 5, 2018 - Client Success Manager in Washington, DC
    Business Outlook

Pros

Working with The Author Incubator means being willing to be in alignment in all areas of your life. It means constantly checking in on your life goals and being truthful with yourself and those around you about how your job supports you in turning your dreams into a reality. If it doesn't come natural to you already, you will quickly learn how to be an integrated person - how to be all of you all of the time. Having a job that is in alignment with who you are as a person is the only option here.

Cons

We grow and move fast here! It's important to be open to change and easily adaptable. We pivot when necessary and are ever-evolving. If you want a job where you come into work and do the same thing all day, everyday then The Author Incubator is not your fit!

6. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Incredibly Happy to Be Here!

May 24, 2018 - Production Coordinator in Washington, DC
    Business Outlook

Pros

Living in an area where people spend so much of their potentially productive time in traffic or commuting on public transportation to their jobs has made me so much more appreciative of companies that support virtual working. The Author Incubator gets it! Having the ability to work remotely in my role, using online tools and resources that make connecting with my coworkers seamless--and leaving me with the time and energy to focus on this work that I love so much--completely makes the difference in my work-life balance. Add to that the fact that I am a creative who simply doesn't fit into Corporate America but has indeed found her tribe of quirky creatives--and I can honestly say this is the perfect job for me. Can't even tell you how amazing that feels.

Cons

For me, there are no downsides.

7. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Amazing Mission. Great Team.

May 23, 2018 - Administration in McLean, VA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Management really cares about the clients. Great flexibility. I work from home and I love it. I really believe in the mission and the clients are the best. I love telling people about my job because everyone wants to write a book. Our clients actually get it done. Very gratifying place to work.

Cons

It's a start up so things can be disorganized but at least there are good intentions and things are always getting better.

8. 5.0

Best place to work

Dec 7, 2018 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

I can't tell you how refreshing it is to work somewhere where the employees legitimately love their jobs. There are no arguments, no gossip, no backstabbing or corporate ladder climbing. We come together and work as a team and enjoy doing it. There are so many wonderful people who work here and I consider myself lucky to be a part of this diverse team. The benefits are awesome, hard work doesn't go unnoticed and I love the company's commitment to diversity and equality.

Cons

Honestly don't see this as a negative as it keeps the work interesting, but we move fast and change constantly which may not be a fit for everyone.

9. 5.0

Dream Job

Dec 3, 2018 - DIrector of Acquisitions in Studio City, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

I've been hired for my strengths and encouraged to occupy my zone of genius. I'm asked to develop these skills in order to master my role for the benefit of myself, those I work with, and most importantly our clients.

Cons

There is no hiding here! It isn't a true con--there aren't any--but if you want a job where playing small is rewarded, you won't be happy here. You are asked to grow into becoming your best self on a daily basis. If you aren't up for that, don't apply to work here or join this team.

10. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Do you believe magic is real?

Dec 5, 2018 - Event Coordinator in Washington, DC
    Business Outlook

Pros

-You are free to express yourself -hard work doesn't go unnoticed -we constantly have team building - everyone loves being at the office -we have fun - we love - we work in a magical place with magical people - honest communication

Cons

Every job comes with bad days and good days, but my good days shine so far beyond the bad days, I can't think of any cons that would change your mind about this magical place

Viewing 1 - 10 of 17 Reviews