The BOSS Group Editor Reviews | Glassdoor

The BOSS Group Editor Reviews

Updated Jun 5, 2017

1.9
The BOSS Group CEO Conor Smith (no image)
Conor Smith
  1. "Excellent company: experts at matching employee skills to meet the employer's needs!"

Current Contractor - Graphic Designer/Copy Editor in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at The BOSS Group for more than a year

Pros

Freelancing, but better--they screen the clients, handle the payroll taxes and billing; you get to work with top-notch clients that respect and utilize your abilities.Lots of great placements, at companies that are doing interesting work. Provides a variety of experiences, long- and short-term as desired, with the safety net of working for an agency that provides excellent pay and access to benefits.

Cons

The only real drawback is that you only work when there is a client who needs you--just like freelancing on your own. In this slow economy, times are tough for everyone.

The BOSS Group2014-08-05

"Lying recruiter may cost me a security clearance"

Former Freelancer - Editor in Bethesda, MD

I worked at The BOSS Group for less than a year

Pros

I was placed in a temporary position fairly quickly.

Cons

I was misled about the number of hours I would be working, and then told to deal with it (when I complained). In addition, I resigned (via a resignation letter sent by email) in September 2015. The BOSS Group told my security clearance investigator that I was fired. I was able to prove that they were lying, but why lie about something easily refuted?

Advice to Management

Don't lie about whether an employee has resigned or been fired. Investigate it properly and tell the truth!

The BOSS Group2017-06-05
  3. "Horrible service from "recruiters" toward their talent clients."

Former Contractor - Editor in Washington, DC

I worked at The BOSS Group for less than a year

Pros

My paychecks were pretty good. It pays a little better than the other temp agencies in DC.

Cons

No one called to find out about the job where they placed me. Recruiters are supposed to call to find out how the job is, is it what we were told, does it fit your skills as you'd hoped, stuff like that. Nothing. Someone from HQ eventually called me, and I told him about the lack of communication from the DC office. He said someone would call within about two weeks. They didn't, of course, and I told him that. He... said he'd ask a specific person from the DC office to call, but that person never called. I recently called the DC office to ask about this lack of communication, and the person who was supposed to call me said he DID call and leave a message at my number. But checking my cell phone files for that week shows NO calls from his office and NO VM (and no phantom numbers; I can track all the rest of these and know the contacts). My frustration was that I was poorly matched to the contract--it was monkey work (comparing specific info to a database), not real editing, and I asked for a reassignment. My recruiter ignored my requests, so I quit after four months of phone calls with the head office and hoping my recruiter would respond to my calls and vm. Of course, now I'm blacklisted there because I didn't give two weeks' notice--in spite of the horrible service I got from the recruiter, who still has a job there. You're just income for The Boss Group--they don't care if you're a good fit for the work or if it's what you were told you were going to do.

Advice to Management

Tell your recruiters to verbally check in with temps to be sure the job is a good fit and that it aligns with what was expected. They should be checking in REGULARLY for long-term roles. And don't lie about calling someone and leaving a VM--that's SO easily trackable.

The BOSS Group2016-01-08