The Baddish Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.8
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Former Junior Account Executive"

I worked at The Baddish Group full-time

Pros

Fun clients and various work assignments, so everyday is always different. Very small team so you work closely with everyone and on many aspects of the workload between clients.

Cons

With a very small team, you must take on multiple demanding responsibilities. Can get overwhelming at times.

2. "Boutique firm with small staff - you get to wear lots of hats"

Current Employee - Freelancer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Freelancer in New York, NY

I have been working at The Baddish Group part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Entrepreneurial environment, diverse work assignments and fun clients. i love the food & beverage industry so this is a great way to immerse myself in the F&B PR field. It's a small team so you are able to be a part of many different aspects of the client work and businesses in general.

Cons

It's a small team so you get pulled in a lot of different directions. it's a fast paced environment and the work can be demanding.

3. "Contracted employee"

Pros

Reliable, honest and hard working PR agency. Laura and her staff are great and knowledgeable with a very diverse clientel portfolio.

Cons

They are in New York and I am in Miami.

"Don't Waste Your Time."

Former Employee - Account Coordinator in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Account Coordinator in New York, NY

I worked at The Baddish Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Direct-to-client contact at entry level positions. Patient clients.

Cons

No direction - there is no upper management to guide newly hired, entry level employees (often, recent graduates with no experience). New employees are expected to know how to handle senior-level positions and are berated if they struggle, ask questions, or fail. "Upper management" consists of Laura Baddish herself, who passes her insecurities and stress onto her employees. She will belittle, berate, demand, yell, and abuse.

Disorganization - there are no standard practices or procedures. No on-boarding for new employees, no directions to refer to. The expectation is to understand how Laura wants things without being told.

Reports for clients are forged and employees are expected to beef up numbers to make them look better for the client. This is unethical. Laura demands that employees do NOT work on reports during work hours. These are expected to be completed at home or on the weekend.

No client relations management. No regular conference calls. Even when a call is scheduled, there are no agendas or call recaps. No standard check-ins or communications.

Advice to Management

Have confidence. Teach and be a mentor. Learn how to be patient. Don't be mean - because that's what you are, you're mean. Organize your company and your practices. Treat your employees AND clients with respect.

"Not Worth It"

I worked at The Baddish Group full-time

Pros

Opportunity to meet cool people

Cons

Such a poor excuse for a PR company. Dated ideas, long hours, and no benefits. High turnover rate because Laura likes to dismiss any success you might have (and tries to steal credit) and will verbally harass you if you make any sort of mistake. Also, the FEW employees that have managed to stick it out long term (not sure how) informed me early on that any high reviews here on Glassdoor are either by Laura or an employee that she asked.

If you do decide to take a job here, expect to be contacted by recruiters because even THEY know her reputation. It's that bad. Also you can expect emails before and after office hours, and an attitude if you don't respond to them right away.

Advice to Management

Lose that old-school "my employees should fear me" management style. It's clearly not working. It is also a wonder that you've managed to stay in business all these years.

"Former Intern At The Baddish Group"

Pros

If Laura likes you, you will do well and be given more work related to Public Relations.
    If you really have a passion for public relations and have thick skin you will be able to work here and tolerate the environment. If not, this isn't the internship for you.

Cons

Laura expects you to teach yourself and if she decides you aren't the "star intern" she will have you spend your days clipping, making lists, and running errands. Basically has you doing busy work.

"Don't Work Here"

Former Employee - Account Executive

I worked at The Baddish Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

none that I can think of

Cons

just save yourself some time and do not waste your metro card to step foot in the door

Advice to Management

It's a fake business in shambles. The media placements are basically all submitted via newswire, the ideas are unoriginal, the hours are ridiculous. This is the worst excuse for a PR agency I've ever seen in my life. I was consistently underpaid and it's a shock that they can even keep the lights on. This is a joke. I'm not including this experience on my resume because her reputation is that bad.

"I Wouldn't Wish Laura on My Worst Enemy"

Former Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY

I worked at The Baddish Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The pay is decent, but then again, if you the benefits are minuscule, is it really a pro?

I'm trying to think of other pros, but I'm coming up empty.

Cons

If you are looking to work with a great company that has a great work culture, has awesome work benefits,
    consistently produces award-winning PR/marketing campaigns, has a solid reputation, and is led by a fantastic leader who inspires you to be a better PR professional, then I would highly suggest that you don't waste your time and energy on the insanity that is The Baddish Group.

Generally speaking, the work environment is tensed and stressful due to Laura's nastiness, which follows her like a cloud and descends up on the office whenever she's around . At times she can be funny, and dare I say, personable. However, God forbid she is in a bad mood (which is often), because she will alternate between using individual employees as punching bags and being rude to the entire staff in an effort to assuage her own bruised ego. Her instructions are usually vague, rushed and jumbled, and when employees ask for clarification, she will often roll her eyes, sneer, make rude, highly, unattractive faces, and she will bark out her responses which often drip with unwarranted contempt and condescension. She also gossips negatively about each and every employee behind their backs, including her "favorites." When you do produce results, she will become weirdly competitive and dismissive since it's not the direct results of her own efforts.

Laura's cheapness and disorganized strategies also compromise productivity on a regular basis. She often hires junior level employees to do senior level work. Inevitably, the staff struggles to meet expectations that (due to lack of experience and proper guidance). She barely invests in essential databases, and analytic tools,and as another poster noted, her strategies are rushed and all over the place. Despite all this (and more), Laura blames everyone else for the company's extensive list of shortcomings.

Furthermore, the agency is behind the times in several ways. There isn't a digital team. Additionally, her PR/marketing ideas are quite dated. I could ALMOST justify working in this environment (just to have the names on your resume) if you were able to work on award-winning campaigns, and if you were able to work on huge accounts, but most of the big name clients on her website have since left.

If you do choose to accept a job with The Baddish Group, your best bet is to ALWAYS agree with Laura even when you know that what she's saying doesn't make ANY sense. Your job, ultimately, is to make Laura look good and every good idea must seem like her own. I have listened to her shamelessly recite my ideas verbatim to clients while refusing to introduce me to them. She also insists on being CC'd on every email so that she can jump into the conversation and steal your media and vendor contacts. Also, know that there is an unspoken expectation of employees to work as relentlessly as she does, and she will send/CC you on emails late nights, early mornings and on weekends.

I can honestly say I'm not surprised that her reputation, is practically in shambles. I have never encountered such gross unprofessionalism, frugality, and ungraciousness in my life, and I have never been bullied by any one in my adult life as much as I have been in the few months that I spent working under her. The pay, benefits, and experience is just not worth Laura's atrociously obnoxious behavior. If you insist on working here, I would suggest that you continue to be vigilant in your job search because the honeymoon phase passes very quickly.

Advice to Management

You have been pulling the same self sabotaging stunts for over 20 years, so it's pointless. I just want you to know that your rants and tirades make you seem insecure and unstable, and not powerful as you might think. No one who is truly happy with who they are and where they are in life would conduct themselves in such a gross fashion.

"The Baddish Group"

I have been working at The Baddish Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I was initially apprehensive of The Baddish Group due to the reviews on here, but I really liked Laura from what I had gathered from our few meetings together so I decided to trust my gut and give working here a chance. In the time I have been here Laura has proven to be a great leader who values the growth of her team as much as the growth of her clients.

Cons

PR is a tough industry so the general cons apply here as they do everywhere else. If you don't have a passion for it, PR may not be the right fit for you.

"WORST Place I have EVER Worked in my life"

Former Employee - Public Relations Account Executive in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Public Relations Account Executive in New York, NY

Pros

There are zero pros to this place, maybe the fact that I could walk there from my apartment thats about it.

Cons

This was by far the worst job I have ever had in my life! The woman who owns the company Laura Baddish is the most evil and nasty woman i've ever met, I've worked at a few other places with some bad employers, but this was the worst. She verbally harassed her employees on a daily basis (including myself) constantly talks crap about other people, her clients,etc. and just has a very negative attitude. I left for lunch so many times crying because of the fact that she was so mean and nasty towards me for no reason at all. There are only one or two employees that have been there over a year and they informed me that she typically harasses the new employees (especially if they are young successful women) until they either quit or she fires them). She goes through staff so quickly, the turnover rate is unreal.

Please please consider reading all of these reviews about The Baddish Group before applying or accepting a job at this place, you will regret it!! Laura Baddish will soon get whats coming to her for being such an awful and nasty woman. I was even told by multiple job recruiters after I left that she has one of the WORST reputations in the PR industry and they would NEVER place any of their clients with this woman EVER.

Advice to Management

I have more advice than I can even type out on here, the owner Laura Baddish basically should just run the company on her own because nobody is good enough for her and she is so rude.