The Bair Foundation Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.1
Dr. Susan J. Miklos

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • I was able to make my own schedule and work for some great children and families (in 9 reviews)

• Bair trains their own foster parents and has high expectations of them (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Struggle with work-life balance and boundaries with foster parents balance due to use of personal cell phones (in 9 reviews)

• Upper management does not know what goes on in individual offices (Texas) (in 9 reviews)

1. "Great Family Oriented Place to Work - Great Environment"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in New Wilmington, PA
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in New Wilmington, PA

I worked at The Bair Foundation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I enjoyed my time greatly at the Bair Foundation. It was a great environment to work at and management truly cared about it's employees and not just the job you were doing. It was great to see the difference we were making in the lives of Foster Children. Work load was manageable (worked in the Admin Office). Caring people who were all very dedicated to the mission of the organization

Cons

High Health Insurance costs. Some micromanaging among coworkers.

Advice to Management

You are doing a wonderful job with your employees, foster kids and families. :) Keep up the good work!

2. "Loved my job"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Kent, OH
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Kent, OH

I worked at The Bair Foundation full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great co-workers, team work. I would work for Bair again if it was a possibility. I have enjoyed my experience there very much.

Cons

It is hard to even think of any for me. It is a small office with not a lot of foot traffic but that is not necessarily a bad thing.

3. "Over worked. Under valued. Disrespected"

I worked at The Bair Foundation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Foster families are mission driven, support from local churches is faithful and abundant. The opportunity to watch God work in the lives of children, foster and bio families, and staff.

Cons

National office micro manages local staff, dangles carrots of incentive bonuses with unrealistic goals or follow through if, by some miracle, you can meet those goals. No support, aside from "increased advertising" in local media to meet unrealistic goals, just an expectation and verbal assaults if growth goals are not attained within an unrealistic time span. Staff change decisions are made on subjective emotional mood swings from national office that are then bullied through local leadership. Fear based/ shame based leadership expecting 24 hours a day/ 7 day a week availability. CEO is known to mandate staff return to work during planned vacations. Unhealthy place to work. CEO is also known to mandate current staff to go online and add positive reviews to offset negative reviews on job search sites.

Advice to Management

Re examine executive leadership.

"Wonderful!!!"

Current Employee - Foster Care Case Manager in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Foster Care Case Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at The Bair Foundation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have worked with The Bair Foundation for one year and am moving out of state causing me to leave the agency. If I were staying in state, I would work for Bair for years to come! The agency pushes you to be a better professional and person. Supervision in my department was great and very supportive. The Pittsburgh office was an absolutely wonderful place to work and I would recommend it to anyone! Tons of flexibility in your schedule, supportive supervision, plentiful PTO, and gas mile reimbursement.

Cons

Can be stressful at times, big caseloads, need to use personal cell phones.

Advice to Management

Too many job requirements on management put barriers on supervision from supervisor to employee. Consider the direct care workers when making policies!

5. "The BEST place to work :)"

Former Employee - Permanency Specialist in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Permanency Specialist in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at The Bair Foundation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The love that is reflected in this organization is amazing, thankful for almost 8 years working for The Bair Foundation. The schedule is flexible, community based and ongoing supervision that is super helpful! I have learned so much but mostly I have learned about myself, and how to take care of me! I was shown love by prayer and words of encouragement. I am so thankful for this place, completely had the best working experience!

Cons

I have no complaints, The Bair Foundation even helped me pay for my Masters program in Marriage and Family Therapy! I even was able to attend school while working full-time!

Advice to Management

Continue being AMAZING! Thank you for always going above and beyond for me, my coworkers, children and families!!

"Run"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

I worked at The Bair Foundation full-time

Pros

Opportunities to work with good families.

Cons

Terrible leadership. Favoritism was apparent. Values promoted are not in practice.

Advice to Management

Reconsider leadership

7. "Awful"

I worked at The Bair Foundation full-time

Pros

It was a job, and some of the foster families were excellent.

Cons

Leadership did not practice the values that they promote. Foster homes were opened and closed based on emotions and favoritism of director and staff- no real consideration given to the children involved.

Advice to Management

Reconsider leadership in VA offices.

8. "Disappointing"

Former Employee - LSW
    Former Employee - LSW

I worked at The Bair Foundation full-time

Pros

I was able to work with a few great families.

Cons

Leadership was unsupportive. Multiple times, I questioned whether Bair's decisions truly reflected the best interest of the child involved. According to leadership, questioning is equivalent to belligerence. As soon as another door opened, I left.

Advice to Management

Reconsider approach to leadership in Richmond. From my experience, an atmosphere is filtered from the top down. If that is the case, then Bair needs complete re-structuring.

"Stay Away"

Current Employee - Social Worker in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Social Worker in Richmond, VA

I have been working at The Bair Foundation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working with several amazing children and their foster families

Cons

Unfortunately the best families burn out quickly. Leadership in Richmond was recently promoted, which is discouraging to many. The Richmond director consistently played 'favorites.' Support was rarely offered, and she only acted in her own self-interest. Her ambition blinded her to the best interest of many children.

Advice to Management

More oversight. Interview families and staff before promoting leadership- not just the "friends" of the director brought on-board for extra cash.

10. "Great place to work!"

Former Employee - Intake Coordinator in Butler, PA
    Former Employee - Intake Coordinator in Butler, PA

I worked at The Bair Foundation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very friendly and welcoming staff

Cons

Employees pay too much for health coverage

Advice to Management

Decrease the amount employees pay for health coverage