KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

The Bair Foundation

Engaged Employer

The Bair Foundation

Add a Review

The Bair Foundation Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Dec 1, 2021

Found 9 of over 151 reviews

3.7
The Bair Foundation Executive Director  Dr. Susan J. Miklos  (no image)
Dr. Susan J. Miklos

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Sexual Orientation

This rating reflects the overall rating of The Bair Foundation and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee

Good work environment

Oct 16, 2021 - Social Worker in Harrisburg, PA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great people and values Work is interesting

Cons

Tough work life balance Long hours

2. 4.0
    Former Employee

Rewarding Job, Great Experience!

Dec 1, 2021 - Foster Care Specialist in Erie, PA
    Business Outlook

Pros

I worked at The Bair Foundation for almost 2 years and loved it! This was the first job that I looked forward to every day and felt a true sense of purpose. At the Erie office, there is a great work culture and the director is always available if you need help and always thinking of new ideas to support foster families and kids. The Bair Foundation gives staff little gifts throughout the year to make staff feel appreciated. My coworkers were always there when I needed help. There was emphasis on us being a team and I felt that. I also became pretty attached to my foster families and kids. I loved the flexibility of my job, the PTO time, mileage reimbursement and the Student Loan Forgiveness Program. The pay is fair with the opportunity to have an increase annually. Although, it would have been nice to be paid a little more considering the type of work you do. With my job, there was sometimes an opportunity to make more based on your case load and when you do on-call, which was nice. Overall, it was a great experience and I learned a lot!

Cons

The healthcare options could be a bit better and it is difficult to manage work/life balance at times with a high caseload and when families are further away (you spend more time traveling than visiting)

3. 2.0

Walk Lightly

Jun 22, 2021 - Intake Coordinator in Pittsburgh, PA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Working with families Enjoyed my coworkers, team cooperation

Cons

Management Work life balance Work load Travel After hours work Pay rate, travel reimbursement is lower than state rate Union busters I felt like this was a 24 hour job a lot of the time. My stress levels were through the roof and management at the time was not willing to work with me and be a little more flexible.

4. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Progressively Getting Better

Nov 21, 2019 - Socal Servirces Worker in Virginia Beach, VA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Supportive, helpful, friendly environment. Communication is improving, making the job less stressful. New leadership is making improvements to work environment for the better.

Cons

Work-Life Balance is a struggle at times.

5. 5.0

Clinical Supervisor

Jan 19, 2018 - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, SC
    Business Outlook

Pros

Paid holidays, PTO, flexible schedule, rewarding career, educational/training funds

Cons

Difficult work/life balance, low room for salary growth

6. 3.0
    Current Employee

Grrat mission but needs work

Aug 21, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

The heart and mission are great.

Cons

Lower pay with higher caseloads. Lack of initial training. You may not even get so much a birthday card to say "we like that you work here". Work/life balance not encouraged.

7. 1.0

Paper/signature chaser on wheels

Jan 17, 2017 - Foster Care Case Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

Get one year of experience and then move on.

Cons

Meaningless paper chasing. The well being of foster children is not at the core of this organization. In fact there were times when I did not feel comfortable with the foster homes that Bair "certifies." Some respite options were downright irresponsible and dishonest. There is more emphasis on placements and census numbers. Some foster homes are in it for the money and are not desirable placement options. The foundation caters more to the needs of the county than it does their own foster families and will throw a foster family “under the bus” before hearing and considering all viewpoints. Caseworkers are not provided with the necessary tools to support the families for which they serve. Paperwork and scheduled tasks are redundant but considered "king" in the responsibility of the caseworker regardless of the content or quality of the completed forms and tasks. Training is negligible. Employees must use their own personal cell phones without any reimbursement - this also prevents any work/life balance issues as foster families are constantly communicating with you in the evenings, weekends, holidays and vacations. After about 6-9 months into the job, management asks you to sign off on trainings you never received. Laptop computers crash and are poor performing and the proprietary software is excruciatingly slow adding unnecessary hours to complete work. Any continuing education/training after employment is cursory at best and sometimes a complete waste of time - time that could be better spent completing job responsibilities. Team building and game time meetings are “high school-ish” and a waste of time. Turnover - I witnessed 10 employees leave in one office location while I worked here. Caseload changes were constant. I spent much of my time "cleaning up" poor performing workers' caseloads only to have my caseload changed and to start the process all over. Some poor performing case workers who were not held accountable by management for reasons not understood. It is a female dominated job. Most men would never put up with the needless inefficiencies, lack of tools, poor pay, petty favoritism and redundant paperwork. As a whole, the foster care “system” is dysfunctional and messy with questionable ethics. Don’t contribute to it. You will not feel good about the role you are required to play within this system. For families interested in providing foster care, I personally would not recommend partnering with Bair.

7 people found this review helpful
  8. 1.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

case manager

Nov 2, 2016 - Case Manager in Cuyahoga Falls, OH
    Business Outlook

Pros

salary, working with families and building relationships

Cons

no work/life balance, micromanagement, 24/7 work hours, co-workers, secretary are in a click and can find a reason to have someone fired, no trust, a lot of trust issues

6 people found this review helpful
  9. 4.0

Great Company

Jun 30, 2016 - Social Services Worker in Wilmington, NC
    Business Outlook

Pros

Overall a wonderful work culture and environment that continues to improve with new state and local oversight. Very friendly staff in the Wilmington, NC office who are dedicated and hard working. Bair trains their own foster parents and has high expectations of them. Hard work goes a long way and could lead to advancement. Would recommend as both a foster care agency and employer!

Cons

Medium-High stress level but mostly due to working with various entities and individuals to support the child - foster and bio parents, DSS, GAL and/ or other service providers. Struggle with work-life balance and boundaries with foster parents balance due to use of personal cell phones.

2 people found this review helpful