The Berry Company Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
The Berry Company Executive Chairman James Continenza
James Continenza

Pros
  • Great people and company culture all across the board (management, sales, and sales support (in 10 reviews)

• Great place to work, Great benefits, Opportunities (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Sales managers want you to convince business owners that the yellow pages still work (in 16 reviews)

• Customer service is atrocious, sales leadership is focused on themselves (in 10 reviews)

"Former Premise Sales Rep"

Former Employee - Senior Outside Sales Representative in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Senior Outside Sales Representative in Atlanta, GA

I worked at The Berry Company (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Decent Commission Structure
    -Good Car Allowance
    -Decent Benefits
    -Good 401k match
    -Great Co-Workers

Cons

-Lots of Travel and Time away from home
    -Very Low Base Pay for amount of travel
    -Never receive any raise on base pay (if I did I would have never left)
    -Company wants to push LocalVox in markets where it doesn't make sense

Advice to Management

Listen to the reps and managers who have worked the markets for the past 4-5 years. In some of the southern rural markets, online content management for several hundred dollars per month is not going to sell when you can barely even get a cell phone signal there.

Pay premise reps a base pay comparable to what competitors are paying. I was able to more than double my base pay when I left and I am no longer traveling 85% of the time away from home.

2. "Be cautious on what you believe and who you trust."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Honolulu, HI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Honolulu, HI

I worked at The Berry Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent money if you work for it, like most other places. A few senior leaders at the corporate level that can be helpful, but are detached from the local reality. Decent, but over priced and outsourced digital product.

Cons

Customer service is atrocious, sales leadership is focused on themselves. Leadership is quick to throw others under the bus when an issue arises to save themselves. Sales managers want you to convince business owners that the yellow pages still work! Sales managers with car salesmen's mentality, they want you to get as much money as possible with little regard to what the customer actually needs. Advancement opportunities largely based on personal relationships with upper management so be ready to start kissing butt.

Advice to Management

Drain the swamp.

"Inside/outside sales"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Honolulu, HI
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Honolulu, HI

I worked at The Berry Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

you can build great sales activity habits here because everything is watched. There is also constant critique and numbers based recognition, so it helps to hold you accountable.

Cons

There's some really great managers here I'm sure, but I have witnessed more intimidation tactics disguised as sales management.

Advice to Management

Focus more on leadership, coaching, and positive reinforcement. Not so much on the used car salesmen approach.

4. "Inside Sales"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Dayton, OH
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Dayton, OH

Pros

Colleagues were - lot of idea sharing for success - motivated one another. Great environment in that respect.

Cons

Unrealistic expectations Responsible for selling print (phone book) ads - most clients cancel paid ads and go with only free listings Digital programs were not effective - Advertiser doesnt get good return on investment. This may have improved but during my tenure pretty large spend for small returns - often times customer would have buyers remorse.

Advice to Management

Use SMART goals - Specific, Measurable Attainable Realistic and Time Based - Emphasis on Realistic - Phone Books have gone the way of the Dodo Bird. Do not try to brainwash reps that their use has not drastically declined and then hold them accountable for those losses. Also offer digital products that are not so costly to advertiser Make sure there is truly a demand for advertiser services in those smaller markets that the Berry Dayton office calls into. When the market is small (ie: town in the boonies) it doesnt matter how great your online presence is if there are only 3 people searching for your services every month - you are not going to recover your investment in such a small market. Also get rid of managers who seem to have people in tears everday. Just my two cents worth - most folks were great. Sales is tough and you hear "no" all day - don't make matters worse by expecting the impossible - overcoming all of those print advertiser precancellations and losses - Starting a new phone book with accounts having already called in to cancel the next publication - and being in the red on day one is really demoralizing. your reps will end up totally dissolutioned. Hopefully some of this has been addressed since my tenure bc i truly loved working at Berry but I could not pull off the impossible. I am pretty good too - I am happy to report that I have had Great Success in Sales since leaving Berry. If these things have been addressed - go for it - its a fun place to work and family/work balance is awesome!

5. "Worst Trainers Ever!"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Saint Peters, MO
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Saint Peters, MO

Pros

Base salary is ok. Benefits could be more affordable for the family plan. Employees are friendly but a little uptight and on edge expect for a couple of employees.

Cons

Trainers are the worst trainers on the face of the earth. They personally know and understand products and systems but are horrible at teaching others. Company need to invest in professional trainers if they want success with the inside sales department. Worst training than any I've ever seen. Very negative, condesending, and everything tha t a sales organization should not tolerate.

Advice to Management

General manager great upbeat guy. Hire more management like him and not the smug types under him. Attitude is everything.

"Inside Sales Representative - OK to start a career"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Cincinnati, OH

Pros

They provided good training for consultative selling. I liked my co-workers, and for the most part, there was a sense of camaraderie. They use SalesForce, which I liked. I made decent money, and great money for someone so fresh out of college.

Cons

It seemed like we were always on the brink of losing our jobs. Even top performers felt like they had no job security. I've never felt nauseous nearly as often as when working here. Part of that was the micromanagement. I felt like any sentence I said on any call could be attacked at any time. When I was there, the approach seemed to be to encourage reps to turn a blind eye to short-comings of the company/products, which made it difficult to take a truly consultative approach to sales.

Advice to Management

Take a more teaming, supportive approach to managing.

7. "Digital Media Advisor"

Former Employee - Digital Media Advisor in Fenton, MO
    Former Employee - Digital Media Advisor in Fenton, MO

I worked at The Berry Company (More than a year)

Pros

Wonderful management and extensive training.

Cons

Competitive industry and tough to close a sale.

"Stay away!!!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at The Berry Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Coworkers are great. Most will work together.

Cons

Management is a mess. Everyday you are made to feel you are losing your job. Will do anything they can to emphasize how bad you are, not what you've done well. Often lie about aspects of jobs when offering promotions.

Advice to Management

Get new management

"Outside Sales Rep"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at The Berry Company full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Can make decent money. People you worked with.

Cons

everything else. Micro-managed, terrible products, management could care less about you...what did you sell today mentality. Do yourself a favor and just STAY AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Advice to Management

Find a new job.

10. "Premise Sales"

Current Employee - OUTSIDE SALES in Lebanon, OH
    Current Employee - OUTSIDE SALES in Lebanon, OH

I have been working at The Berry Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Local management, work and life balance is excellent

Cons

Need to attack digital as if they have the best products and they do.

Advice to Management

n/a