The Berry Company Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated 20 Feb 2019

Found 183 reviews

The Berry Company CEO James Continenza
James Continenza
Pros
  • "Good benefits with matching 401k(in 11 reviews)

• "Great people and company culture all across the board (management, sales, and sales support(in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • "Sales managers want you to convince business owners that the yellow pages still work(in 16 reviews)

• "Customer service is atrocious, sales leadership is focused on themselves(in 10 reviews)

1. "Digital Media Advisor"

Digital Media Advisor in Fenton, MO

I worked at The Berry Company for more than a year

Pros

Wonderful management and extensive training.

Cons

Competitive industry and tough to close a sale.

The Berry Company2016-08-12
  2. "A very good company"

Former Employee - Technician in Manhattan, KS

I worked at The Berry Company full-time for more than a year

Pros

Pros for this company? paid health screenings. Bonuses for meeting goals, Decent pay. Good management. Solid workplace.

Cons

There are a few negatives. Because the company doesnt move personnel that often, there have been a few toxic people in the company.

Advice to Management

Keep an eye out on employees. Cameras, or security devices. My leaving the company was more of an issue because something that shouldnt have been tolerated was. And a lack of provisions caused an issue to go beyond salvaging and caused my release of employment.

The Berry Company2019-02-20
  3. "Senior Account Specialist"

Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at The Berry Company full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fellow employees would help new employees to be able to do a better job.

Cons

Management was not trained to supervise employees. Watched us like a hawk.

Advice to Management

Training on how to motivate employees specially the new hires.

The Berry Company2018-09-13

"Be cautious on what you believe and who you trust."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Honolulu, HI

I worked at The Berry Company full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Decent money if you work for it, like most other places. A few senior leaders at the corporate level that can be helpful, but are detached from the local reality. Decent, but over priced and outsourced digital product.

Cons

Customer service is atrocious, sales leadership is focused on themselves. Leadership is quick to throw others under the bus when an issue arises to save themselves. Sales managers want you to convince business owners that the yellow pages still work! Sales managers with car salesmen's mentality, they want you to get as much money as possible with little regard to what the customer actually needs. Advancement... opportunities largely based on personal relationships with upper management so be ready to start kissing butt.

Advice to Management

Drain the swamp.

The Berry Company2017-06-14
  5. "Worked at Berry / Vivial"

I worked at The Berry Company

Pros

Great training environment, good starting job in sales

Cons

not a lot of opportunity for growth.

The Berry Company2017-05-23
  6. "Account Manager"

I worked at The Berry Company

Pros

Flexible work schedule for those who can succeed.

Cons

Going in the gutter. This business is DOA

The Berry Company2017-04-14

"Former Premise Sales Rep"

Senior Outside Sales Representative in Atlanta, GA

I worked at The Berry Company for more than 3 years

Pros

-Decent Commission Structure -Good Car Allowance -Decent Benefits -Good 401k match -Great Co-Workers

Cons

-Lots of Travel and Time away from home -Very Low Base Pay for amount of travel -Never receive any raise on base pay (if I did I would have never left) -Company wants to push LocalVox in markets where it doesn't make sense

Advice to Management

Listen to the reps and managers who have worked the markets for the past 4-5 years. In some of the southern rural markets, online content management for several hundred dollars per month is not going to sell when you can barely even get a cell phone signal there. Pay premise reps a base pay comparable to what competitors are paying. I was able to more than double my base pay when I left and I am no longer... traveling 85% of the time away from home.

The Berry Company2017-01-18

"Inside/outside sales"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Honolulu, HI

I worked at The Berry Company full-time for more than a year

Pros

you can build great sales activity habits here because everything is watched. There is also constant critique and numbers based recognition, so it helps to hold you accountable.

Cons

There's some really great managers here I'm sure, but I have witnessed more intimidation tactics disguised as sales management.

Advice to Management

Focus more on leadership, coaching, and positive reinforcement. Not so much on the used car salesmen approach.

The Berry Company2016-12-14
  9. "Inside Sales"

Inside Sales Representative in Dayton, OH

I worked at The Berry Company

Pros

Colleagues were - lot of idea sharing for success - motivated one another. Great environment in that respect.

Cons

Unrealistic expectations Responsible for selling print (phone book) ads - most clients cancel paid ads and go with only free listings Digital programs were not effective - Advertiser doesnt get good return on investment. This may have improved but during my tenure pretty large spend for small returns - often times customer would have buyers remorse.

Advice to Management

Use SMART goals - Specific, Measurable Attainable Realistic and Time Based - Emphasis on Realistic - Phone Books have gone the way of the Dodo Bird. Do not try to brainwash reps that their use has not drastically declined and then hold them accountable for those losses. Also offer digital products that are not so costly to advertiser Make sure there is truly a demand for advertiser services in those smaller... markets that the Berry Dayton office calls into. When the market is small (ie: town in the boonies) it doesnt matter how great your online presence is if there are only 3 people searching for your services every month - you are not going to recover your investment in such a small market. Also get rid of managers who seem to have people in tears everday. Just my two cents worth - most folks were great. Sales is tough and you hear "no" all day - don't make matters worse by expecting the impossible - overcoming all of those print advertiser precancellations and losses - Starting a new phone book with accounts having already called in to cancel the next publication - and being in the red on day one is really demoralizing. your reps will end up totally dissolutioned. Hopefully some of this has been addressed since my tenure bc i truly loved working at Berry but I could not pull off the impossible. I am pretty good too - I am happy to report that I have had Great Success in Sales since leaving Berry. If these things have been addressed - go for it - its a fun place to work and family/work balance is awesome!

The Berry Company2016-10-19
  10. "Worst Trainers Ever!"

Inside Sales Representative in Saint Peters, MO

I worked at The Berry Company

Pros

Base salary is ok. Benefits could be more affordable for the family plan. Employees are friendly but a little uptight and on edge expect for a couple of employees.

Cons

Trainers are the worst trainers on the face of the earth. They personally know and understand products and systems but are horrible at teaching others. Company need to invest in professional trainers if they want success with the inside sales department. Worst training than any I've ever seen. Very negative, condesending, and everything tha t a sales organization should not tolerate.

Advice to Management

General manager great upbeat guy. Hire more management like him and not the smug types under him. Attitude is everything.

The Berry Company2016-09-28