The Berry Company Reviews | Glassdoor

James Continenza
  1. "Premise Rep"

Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at The Berry Company full-time for more than a year

Pros

The ability to make money is incredible. You can earn upwards of $80,000 in your first year if you have the skill set and mindset the company seeks.

Cons

Management sets unrealistic expectations. The primary product you're pitching is dead and outdated. They have a gambit of great products, but their run poorly leading to cancellation within the first year and lost commissions.

Advice to Management

Learn to value employees with character, not just those who "flash" strong numbers.

The Berry Company2016-05-13

"great environment, but be wary"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Rochester, NY

I worked at The Berry Company full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great work experience, good compensation for the digital marketing industry. Fantastic coworkers who will do what they can to help you, not a den of snakes. Fantastic product in LocalVox and potential to expand.

Cons

If you are expecting something, they will keep telling you it is coming, then continue telling you that while it never comes. The goals are insane, and they fully expect you to take minimal print loss. Productivity used to be reasonable, until they implemented a new system making reps responsible for keying their orders into the system. now is nigh-impossible Customer service is horrid and there is no solid... communication between reps and customer service. this hurts relationships with reps and clients

Advice to Management

stop micromanaging so much. Reps do better when given gentle direction and more reasonable goals. Reps can tell when an order is handed down from upper-level management vs regional manager. They also respond better to more realistic goals and pats on the back, rather than ruling by fear. Remind your reps they are valuable and good people, and treat them as such. Set realistic expectations for them, their... productivity, and their career at Berry.

The Berry Company2016-04-05
  3. Create your profile to get personalized information

"The Berry Company=Berry Berry Bad"

I have been working at The Berry Company for more than a year

Pros

Free coffee. Weekends off. Sales people are very helpful and knowledgeable.

Cons

Benefits(high deductible / low coverage), communication, focus, products, management, career development. Only if you are desperate for a job, should you even consider this company. There is something to be said for high employee turnover and customer churn. So far in my time with the company, I have seen brand new employees walk out the door weeks after starting, countless customer cancellations, consistent... confusion of product knowledge and no clear leadership. The office environment is very sterile. Everything is open floor plan which indicates low employee trust which they spin as "motivational". Morale is awful. Just not a nice comfortable place to be. Borderline depressing. Management is very secretive. Everything is an emergency. The focus changes weekly. Management communication to rank and file is nonexistent. I can't recall last time we received any communications from the top management. The product set (digital and yellow pages) are very weak and offer very little value to small businesses. Every day we beg our clients not to cancel trying to come up with creative ways to explain poor product performance. Product implementation and customer service are below average. Your earning potential is great...until the customer cancels and you have to give back your commissions. There are “sales incentives”, that are monetarily weak and not worth the challenge. There are no President Awards, or any sales trips/vacations for leaders. “Berryforce” aka Salesforce is a nightmare. To get an account uploaded and processed is incentive enough not to sell. It’s a very challenging system and has brought sales numbers to a screeching halt. The hardest part of the job is getting motivated to recommend products that you know won't be very effective.

Advice to Management

Get rid of Salesforce "Berryforce". Offer better overall sales incentives. Better digital products to sell. Better digital implementation. Offer a focused, defined career path. Give raises.

The Berry Company2016-04-17

"Sales"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milford, CT

I worked at The Berry Company full-time for more than a year

Pros

great for someone looking for a first job. Not a place for a seasoned sales rep.

Cons

Do not work for this company. The management from the top down is absolutely terrible. They are all about CYA, and you deal with it. I have never seen such poor communication, vision and leadership skills anywhere. Within the CT office, the atmosphere had negative energy and just walking in the doors the stress levels were off the charts. This company was so cheap it was embarrassing! They actually forbid you... from using the color printer to save on ink costs! You never know where you stand. They talk behind your back and the office is more dysfunctional than anything I have ever seen There is no accountability, and the management will never stand behind you or support you. The compensation is below average and benefits are poor. This company has no values, or any culture to speak of. There is no career opportunities or any room for growth. if they call you, hang up.

Advice to Management

Get rid of management from the top down in the CT office

The Berry Company2016-04-10

The Berry Company Response

April 11, 2016Director, HR and Recruiting

At Berry sales is more than a job, it’s a culture. In fact, we pride ourselves on being a sales organization that cares about our customers and employees. Based on employee feedback an overwhelming majority of employees appreciate the clear and measurable objectives which hold both teams and individuals accountable for overall performance. Employees that meet their sales objectives are highly rewarded in both compensation and incentives. Managers, trainers and sales leaders are in place to support sales reps, offering on-going coaching, communication and support. And thanks to our commitment to succession planning, most sales leaders were once sales reps, allowing for an even greater degree of coaching and leadership.

"Only an OK company to work for"

I worked at The Berry Company full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

They will continue to train you and try to help you grow as a representative.

Cons

I worked for Berry for 13 years and had only one raise in 13 years. In 2014 I was 3rd in our division and making the least amount of money per hour on the floor. I was the senior rep on the floor. When I questioned about it I was told that if I quit and get re hired I would come in making more money. There can be a lot of favoritism and in consistency with in the company. In February with no notice they let 15 of us... go with no warning. They did not look at the history of the reps or work ethics. My understanding, after looking at the rankings, they kept the current top 3 reps and the last two reps hired. So as a company a person dedication and history with the company is not taken into consideration.

The Berry Company2016-03-06
  7. "Good place to work with great people"

Purchasing Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at The Berry Company for more than 5 years

Pros

Good place to work with young people and a lot of colleagues that can help you. No problem with foreign people.

Cons

Continously growing with stressful day to day and very bad management, nobody with HR skills are available for develop employees.

The Berry Company2016-02-20
  8. "Overall a great place to work"

Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Honolulu, HI

I have been working at The Berry Company full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great people and company culture all across the board (management, sales, and sales support. Plenty of opportunities for growth. Great work life balance.

Cons

Dying print brook, pay is slowly declining.

Advice to Management

Take care of your sales reps.

The Berry Company2016-02-14

"Flexible hours but"

I have been working at The Berry Company

Pros

Flexible schedule... I can't think of many other pros than this. some people are able to do a 9-5 schedule and that's the end of their day. others, their schedule is 24/7 with no end in sight. we are apparently hiring to remedy this situation.

Cons

Very long hours. The amount of hours some of us put in to pickup the slack of those that do not carry their weight is imbalanced. The top performers get no recognition while those that are here to collect a paycheck somehow keep their job. No real vision and no transparency. No career path forward. Too many people doing multiple jobs leads to getting burned out. Somewhat disorganized executive approach. Way too... many changes in the organizational structure. I've had at least 8 different bosses since I have been here and I'm still in the same team when I started.

Advice to Management

Make sure your top performers are well taken care of. Give them an incentive to do better. Otherwise it is difficult to tell what the expectations are from the executives. Promote within! Show that the people that make the largest sacrifices that it matters to the business.

The Berry Company2016-01-19

"Passionate, hard working, loyal, smart, honest, eager to grow"

Former Employee - Office Manager in Dayton, OH

I worked at The Berry Company full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great place to work, Great benefits, Opportunities

Cons

Downsizing, and not much training anymore

The Berry Company2015-11-04

"Good People"

I worked at The Berry Company

Pros

I worked with great people.

Cons

The marketing department downsized substantially.

The Berry Company2015-11-02