The Berry Company Sales Representative Reviews | Glassdoor

Found 31 reviews

3.2
The Berry Company CEO James Continenza
James Continenza
  1. "Great Opportunity, but it isn't easy!"

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Saint Peters, MO

I have been working at The Berry Company full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Berry provides solutions you can believe in, at an investment that is fantastic for all SMB's! I've been working for Berry for years, and I'm not only happy that I work here, but I'm also proud to work here! The management team give you the tool and know how to do the job, and to make a lot of money. If you are a motivated, driven, competitive person you will do well. Join us!

Cons

Not a lot of growth opportunities available.

Advice to Management

Keep your word.

The Berry Company2016-05-05

"Inside/outside sales"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Honolulu, HI

I worked at The Berry Company full-time for more than a year

Pros

you can build great sales activity habits here because everything is watched. There is also constant critique and numbers based recognition, so it helps to hold you accountable.

Cons

There's some really great managers here I'm sure, but I have witnessed more intimidation tactics disguised as sales management.

Advice to Management

Focus more on leadership, coaching, and positive reinforcement. Not so much on the used car salesmen approach.

The Berry Company2016-12-14
  3. Create your profile to get personalized information

4. "Inside Sales"

Inside Sales Representative in Dayton, OH

I worked at The Berry Company

Pros

Colleagues were - lot of idea sharing for success - motivated one another. Great environment in that respect.

Cons

Unrealistic expectations Responsible for selling print (phone book) ads - most clients cancel paid ads and go with only free listings Digital programs were not effective - Advertiser doesnt get good return on investment. This may have improved but during my tenure pretty large spend for small returns - often times customer would have buyers remorse.

Advice to Management

Use SMART goals - Specific, Measurable Attainable Realistic and Time Based - Emphasis on Realistic - Phone Books have gone the way of the Dodo Bird. Do not try to brainwash reps that their use has not drastically declined and then hold them accountable for those losses. Also offer digital products that are not so costly to advertiser Make sure there is truly a demand for advertiser services in those smaller... markets that the Berry Dayton office calls into. When the market is small (ie: town in the boonies) it doesnt matter how great your online presence is if there are only 3 people searching for your services every month - you are not going to recover your investment in such a small market. Also get rid of managers who seem to have people in tears everday. Just my two cents worth - most folks were great. Sales is tough and you hear "no" all day - don't make matters worse by expecting the impossible - overcoming all of those print advertiser precancellations and losses - Starting a new phone book with accounts having already called in to cancel the next publication - and being in the red on day one is really demoralizing. your reps will end up totally dissolutioned. Hopefully some of this has been addressed since my tenure bc i truly loved working at Berry but I could not pull off the impossible. I am pretty good too - I am happy to report that I have had Great Success in Sales since leaving Berry. If these things have been addressed - go for it - its a fun place to work and family/work balance is awesome!

The Berry Company2016-10-19
  5. "Worst Trainers Ever!"

Inside Sales Representative in Saint Peters, MO

I worked at The Berry Company

Pros

Base salary is ok. Benefits could be more affordable for the family plan. Employees are friendly but a little uptight and on edge expect for a couple of employees.

Cons

Trainers are the worst trainers on the face of the earth. They personally know and understand products and systems but are horrible at teaching others. Company need to invest in professional trainers if they want success with the inside sales department. Worst training than any I've ever seen. Very negative, condesending, and everything tha t a sales organization should not tolerate.

Advice to Management

General manager great upbeat guy. Hire more management like him and not the smug types under him. Attitude is everything.

The Berry Company2016-09-28

"Inside Sales Representative - OK to start a career"

Inside Sales Representative in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at The Berry Company

Pros

They provided good training for consultative selling. I liked my co-workers, and for the most part, there was a sense of camaraderie. They use SalesForce, which I liked. I made decent money, and great money for someone so fresh out of college.

Cons

It seemed like we were always on the brink of losing our jobs. Even top performers felt like they had no job security. I've never felt nauseous nearly as often as when working here. Part of that was the micromanagement. I felt like any sentence I said on any call could be attacked at any time. When I was there, the approach seemed to be to encourage reps to turn a blind eye to short-comings of the... company/products, which made it difficult to take a truly consultative approach to sales.

Advice to Management

Take a more teaming, supportive approach to managing.

The Berry Company2016-08-30
  7. "Solid Company"

Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at The Berry Company full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good Base Salary with good commission potential. Great Benefits! The company is going through a lot of changes, many of them positive. A lot of money has been invested into growing the company.

Cons

What have you done for me lately mentality. Not a lot of opportunity for advancement and a lot of travel.

The Berry Company2016-06-02

"Best Job I've Had- Phenomenal Company"

Inside Sales Representative in Saint Peters, MO

I have been working at The Berry Company

Pros

I love working here. The people are wonderful, the payscale is fair and lucrative, and the company really goes out of their way for their employees. I'm a single mom and I've had some rough goes in the past, and I'm so grateful that my employer has been supportive of my endeavors, like going back to school, and provides a way for me to support my family more than comfortably. They're always looking for innovative... ways to energize employees and boost our sales results. They make it fun and enjoyable, and they recognize employee successes regularly. They invest in their employees. PLUS- I have worked a lot sales jobs in the past, and I love that we offer products that HELP people- something I can feel good about offering my clients. We succeed when our clients succeed, and The Berry Company gives us the tools to help our clients.

Cons

The computer system can be a bit of a challenge, especially for new hires. If you're at all tech savvy, however, you would have no problem getting the hang of it.

The Berry Company2016-05-03

"Awesome, LUCRATIVE, Opportunity for DRIVEN Individuals"

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Saint Peters, MO

I have been working at The Berry Company full-time for less than a year

Pros

I currently work at the Saint Peters branch of the Berry Company. Our management is SUPERB, our commission is UNCAPPED, and our earning potential is truly unlimited. I have only been here since February and I am on track to gross hopefully $100,000 this year. If you are DRIVEN, COACHABLE, and HUNGRY to make some serious money then apply to work here! Anyone that is upset just feels that way because they have... probably not taken the initiative to make themselves successful. Also the company recently changed the commission structure so there are no claw backs, which means we keep our commission even if the customer cancels their contract, which doesn't usually happen because our products are AWESOME. If you are energetic, enthusiastic, and a driven team player then please apply at the St. Peter's branch of the Berry Company! You will LOVE it!

Cons

The cubicles make for a stale, out dated office environment. Let's ditch those things and free up some air and energy people!!!

Advice to Management

Get rid of the cubicles and create an open floor plan. This will allow the excitement of sales to flow more freely through out the office!!

The Berry Company2016-04-29

The Berry Company Response

April 29, 2016Director, HR and Recruiting

Thank you for your review. We couldn't have said it better ourselves. For those looking for a rewarding career, Berry is the place to be.

10. "Premise Rep"

Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at The Berry Company full-time for more than a year

Pros

The ability to make money is incredible. You can earn upwards of $80,000 in your first year if you have the skill set and mindset the company seeks.

Cons

Management sets unrealistic expectations. The primary product you're pitching is dead and outdated. They have a gambit of great products, but their run poorly leading to cancellation within the first year and lost commissions.

Advice to Management

Learn to value employees with character, not just those who "flash" strong numbers.

The Berry Company2016-05-13

"great environment, but be wary"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Rochester, NY

I worked at The Berry Company full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great work experience, good compensation for the digital marketing industry. Fantastic coworkers who will do what they can to help you, not a den of snakes. Fantastic product in LocalVox and potential to expand.

Cons

If you are expecting something, they will keep telling you it is coming, then continue telling you that while it never comes. The goals are insane, and they fully expect you to take minimal print loss. Productivity used to be reasonable, until they implemented a new system making reps responsible for keying their orders into the system. now is nigh-impossible Customer service is horrid and there is no solid... communication between reps and customer service. this hurts relationships with reps and clients

Advice to Management

stop micromanaging so much. Reps do better when given gentle direction and more reasonable goals. Reps can tell when an order is handed down from upper-level management vs regional manager. They also respond better to more realistic goals and pats on the back, rather than ruling by fear. Remind your reps they are valuable and good people, and treat them as such. Set realistic expectations for them, their... productivity, and their career at Berry.

The Berry Company2016-04-05