The Berry Company "yellow pages" Reviews | Glassdoor

The Berry Company Employee Reviews about "yellow pages"

Updated Feb 20, 2019

Found 183 reviews

The Berry Company CEO James Continenza
James Continenza
Pros
  • "Good benefits with matching 401k(in 11 reviews)

• "Great people and company culture all across the board (management, sales, and sales support(in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • "Sales managers want you to convince business owners that the yellow pages still work(in 16 reviews)

• "Customer service is atrocious, sales leadership is focused on themselves(in 10 reviews)

Reviews about "yellow pages"

Return to all Reviews

"Be cautious on what you believe and who you trust."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Honolulu, HI

I worked at The Berry Company full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Decent money if you work for it, like most other places. A few senior leaders at the corporate level that can be helpful, but are detached from the local reality. Decent, but over priced and outsourced digital product.

Cons

Customer service is atrocious, sales leadership is focused on themselves. Leadership is quick to throw others under the bus when an issue arises to save themselves. Sales managers want you to convince business owners that the yellow pages still work! Sales managers with car salesmen's mentality, they want you to get as much money as possible with little regard to what the customer actually needs. Advancement... opportunities largely based on personal relationships with upper management so be ready to start kissing butt.

Advice to Management

Drain the swamp.

The Berry Company2017-06-14

"The Berry Company=Berry Berry Bad"

I have been working at The Berry Company for more than a year

Pros

Free coffee. Weekends off. Sales people are very helpful and knowledgeable.

Cons

Benefits(high deductible / low coverage), communication, focus, products, management, career development. Only if you are desperate for a job, should you even consider this company. There is something to be said for high employee turnover and customer churn. So far in my time with the company, I have seen brand new employees walk out the door weeks after starting, countless customer cancellations, consistent... confusion of product knowledge and no clear leadership. The office environment is very sterile. Everything is open floor plan which indicates low employee trust which they spin as "motivational". Morale is awful. Just not a nice comfortable place to be. Borderline depressing. Management is very secretive. Everything is an emergency. The focus changes weekly. Management communication to rank and file is nonexistent. I can't recall last time we received any communications from the top management. The product set (digital and yellow pages) are very weak and offer very little value to small businesses. Every day we beg our clients not to cancel trying to come up with creative ways to explain poor product performance. Product implementation and customer service are below average. Your earning potential is great...until the customer cancels and you have to give back your commissions. There are “sales incentives”, that are monetarily weak and not worth the challenge. There are no President Awards, or any sales trips/vacations for leaders. “Berryforce” aka Salesforce is a nightmare. To get an account uploaded and processed is incentive enough not to sell. It’s a very challenging system and has brought sales numbers to a screeching halt. The hardest part of the job is getting motivated to recommend products that you know won't be very effective.

Advice to Management

Get rid of Salesforce "Berryforce". Offer better overall sales incentives. Better digital products to sell. Better digital implementation. Offer a focused, defined career path. Give raises.

The Berry Company2016-04-17
  3. "Pretty Good"

Current Employee - B2B Sales Consultant in Onalaska, WI

I have been working at The Berry Company full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

compensation is great and get to travel quite a bit, which can be a con but is a pro for me

Cons

hard sales as company started as Yellow pages sales but also has strong internet suite of products. One is declining and the other is a cut throat sales

The Berry Company2015-09-11

"Inside Sales"

I have been working at The Berry Company full-time

Pros

Good people, good pay if you can sell, not too much pressure, some expected loss.

Cons

Yellow Pages is dying and they expect you to sell it likes its new. They lose clients daily and have a hard time gaining new ones. They try to pushing their digital products but they are seen as a yellow pages company so it is a challenge when people have that perception already.

The Berry Company2015-07-09

July 13, 2015Director, HR and Recruiting

While our roots began in the Yellow Pages industry, we have evolved into a digital marketing agency. With ongoing investment in technology, partnership and acquisitions, Berry has become one of the leading providers of digital marketing solutions in the U.S. We encourage anyone looking for a challenging, yet rewarding sales career to apply today to one of our many open positions throughout the U.S.

"Sales Manager"

Sales Manager in Dayton, OH

I worked at The Berry Company for more than 5 years

Pros

Good compensation in return for hard work.

Cons

Chaotic mess trying to deal with a slow dying yellow page print portfolio and inadequate and non exclusive digital offerings.

Advice to Management

None

The Berry Company2015-05-15

May 15, 2015Director, HR and Recruiting

Consumers continue to look at multiple sources when looking for local businesses. What are the top sources used? Online and print Yellow Pages. So while the Yellow Pages are a mature product, they are still a viable resource for local businesses that want to connect with shoppers. Berry is proud to offer not only this reliable advertising source, but also the latest in digital advertising solutions. From content marketing, powered by LocalVox, to responsive design websites, search, video and much more, we provide our customers with the solutions they need to meet their business goals. Additionally, we provide our sales force with the tools, training and leadership for success. Our people, combined with our products, are just some of the reasons we have been named a Best Places to Work honoree in Dayton for 2015.

"Unethical, horrible leadership and work environment"

in Rochester, NY

I worked at The Berry Company

Pros

High commissions, time off...not sure of others but they might be there

Cons

The most negative work environment one could possibly imagine. Distrust and fear permeate every facet of the company resulting from zero communication from the leadership team. The products are outsourced, have marginal value and receive incompetent support. If you want to work for the worst company possible with zero future (BTW Berry-No one uses the Yellow Pages anymore!!!) then Berry is the spot for you. No... future.

Advice to Management

The negative culture is the result of the upper management.

The Berry Company2014-12-30

January 6, 2015Director, HR and Recruiting

At The Berry Company we pride ourselves on our ability to deliver best in class products and services to our customers as well as provide a positive and productive work environment for our employees. We work with the leading digital providers to deliver social, mobile and search-friendly solutions at an affordable cost to our advertisers. Our transformation over the past several years has been extremely well received by our customers. In fact, year over year, our customer satisfaction scores have increased at near double digit growth as we continue to add the latest digital offerings to our product suite. Berry is proud to be a best in class sales organization, with a well-balanced employee base consisting of both long tenured and new personnel. Our sales positions are challenging, yet rewarding. Our management team consists of sales, marketing and operations executives with vast industry experience. Boasting a “win from within” mentality, our sales organization has produced industry leading results for the past several years. While the structured sales environment is not right for everyone, reps that are willing to work hard and follow a structured plan are able to earn excellent commission on top of a guaranteed base pay. Berry continues to invest in our employees, our products and our future and we’re proud of what we have to offer.

7. "Voted one of the top companies to work for in Hawaii for a reason."

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Honolulu, HI

I have been working at The Berry Company full-time for less than a year

Pros

For me, this company was a breath of fresh air. Great benefits, compensation, work environment, coworkers, and management. Favorite parts being the coworkers and comp. My coworkers are all fun people to be around and make a sales job much more entertaining but at the same time they're all driven and help each other succeed. Compensation is a fair base plus great commission package. Even at an entry level sales... position one can make a healthy living if they put in the work. If successful there is plenty of opportunity to move up in the company and make a good career. Most all of the management team and 'higher ups' started out as inside sales reps.

Cons

I am not overjoyed to be selling digital marketing products and the Yellow Pages. I would prefer to be selling something that I am more passionate about. That said, the products do work and make sense for most if not all small and medium sized businesses. So if that is the worst part about my job then I really don't have too much to complain about.

Advice to Management

Good 'Team oriented' structure... Keep it up!

The Berry Company2014-09-22

December 9, 2014Director, HR and Recruiting

Thank you for sharing your review! You are right, we have been voted Best Company in Hawaii for 5 years in a row. Based on our compensation, best in class training, benefits and overall team morale, employees love working for Berry.

"Dying product managed by people with serious lack of professionalism"

Former Employee - Systems Administrator in Dayton, OH

I worked at The Berry Company full-time for less than a year

Pros

You get your paycheck every other Friday.

Cons

- Middle management - These individuals only hold their positions because they work there long enough. They would not survive in a professional environment. - Office space - When you first walk-in you think they are going out of business next week. Broken chairs all over the place, several empty cubicles, disgusting meeting room, there is trailer park across street, reception with no receptionist, large garbage... cans hanging by your desk, filthy ceiling, I can go on here for hours. - Cheap - Since those guys just came out of bankruptcy they are cheap. You can barely find coffee and water in their kitchen. Office furniture is outdated and falling apart. - Dayton - If you know Dayton you know what I am talking about. High unemployment, crime is high everywhere, lots of empty buildings, ugly, close minded people, extremely racist, drugs and prostitution, dangerous downtown. - Lack of integrity - I heard myself several times how sales reps lie to customers about products and prices. They have about 500 BBB complaints regarding dishonesty of their sales reps and their awful products and service. I heard this from a Sr. Manager "Buyers are liars" Really!? Is this what you think about your customers? - Dying product - Please be honest. When was the last time you looked at the Yellow Pages? They also sell poorly designed websites. Try to find some of their work online and you will know what I am talking about. Their own website is a shame, no further comments. - No identity - I don't know what is their real name. L.M Berry? The Berry Company? Berry? This is a small sample of how bad they are lost. I think they should be named something like L.M Joke

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. You will be doing a favor for honest business owners around this country by going bankrupt again.

The Berry Company2013-12-14

December 19, 2013Director, HR & Recruiting

We are disappointed to hear that you did not have a good experience while working at The Berry Company. It's our goal to make working at Berry an enjoyable and rewarding experience for all employees. Like most companies, we must be responsible with how we spend money and prioritize how we use our resources. We do understand the importance of benefits which is why we continue to offer a strong benefit program which includes medical, dental and vision insurance and a 401K program with company match. We take pride in the products and services we offer to our customers. Our business has transformed significantly over the past several years and now offers a full suite of digital advertising solutions in addition to print Yellow Pages. We also maintain an A- rating with the Dayton BBB and work diligently to satisfy our customers. The Berry Company is well poised for a successful future as we continue to help over 140,000 small business customers grow their businesses.

"Great for experience...A lot of drama."

Current Employee - Inside Sales in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at The Berry Company full-time for more than a year

Pros

Co-workers make work fun, a variety of work, skill-building opportunities, you talk to small-to-medium-size business owners all over the united states, a variety of products to sell.

Cons

Compensation is changed on whim, micro-management is rampant on all levels, passive aggressive management, some expectations are unobtainable, still a yellow-page (a dying industry) company at heart, sub-par digital products (sell a website or SEM and it will come back to haunt you, either through client harassment or a charge back from delinquent status), terrible company reputation in some areas.

The Berry Company2013-09-11

"Don't be fooled by this Company"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Honolulu, HI

I worked at The Berry Company full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good health benefits, medical/dental. 401K program

Cons

Local Management not in sync with needs of market. Corporate Management continues to change selling styles, inconsistent with market needs. Company does not treat customers fairly when it comes to billing errors and customer service. Dying yellow page product still makes up majority of revenue

Advice to Management

If you want to become a digital company you need to sell like a digital company, bill like a digital company and have vision like a digital company.

The Berry Company2013-06-10