The Black Tux Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 26, 2019

3.8
The Black Tux CEO Andrew Blackmon
Andrew Blackmon

"Best place I've ever worked"

Current Employee - Marketing in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at The Black Tux full-time for more than a year

Pros

Not overstating things––this is the best place I've ever worked. My work priorities are autonomy/respect, responsibilities I'm excited by and can learn from, great people, flexibility, strong salary, and a fun culture. TBT is all of those things and more.

Cons

Startup-y in that initiatives we've invested in can suddenly go away or get dramatically scaled down, and communication isn't always the best across teams.

Advice to Management

Help teams become less silo-ed. Continue to invest in employees and make them feel valued (it goes such a long way). More feedback (both positive and constructive) from the top down.

The Black Tux2019-09-26
  2. "Come work with us!"

Current Employee - Office Coordinator in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at The Black Tux full-time for less than a year

Pros

Teamwork makes the dream work mentality, inclusive/diverse and a growing company that supports their employee's health and happiness!

Cons

If you aren't interested in building things out and innovation this may not be the right place for you at this time

The Black Tux2019-07-25

"Overall great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at The Black Tux full-time

Pros

- Great size and stage of company. Small enough to be nimble and not worry much about politics, large enough to avoid most of the startup chaos - Really strong culture. From the new hire onboarding program to the offsites to the emphasis on cultural values, the company does a great job ensuring that it's a good place to work. Also an overall great place for work/life balance. - High expectations. The... leadership really does try to assemble an A team. While this can lead to some turnover, I appreciate the dedication to excellence. - Investment in career development. Managers are encouraged to develop career pathways for all functions and career development is not overlooked.

Cons

- Leadership can do a better / more intentional job about sharing strategy / prioritized initiatives / roadmap with the teams at large. - Like many startups, can be prone to chase the next shiny penny, and this lack of focus can create some thrash.

The Black Tux2019-07-25
  4. "Bad and Good sides"

Former Employee - Administrative in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at The Black Tux full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great culture and people with lots of fun activities and caterings Annual salary adjustment Dog friendly Free health care Cell phone and parking reimbursement You can work remotely once in a while (if you work in the HQ) Unlimited PTO No micromanagement

Cons

Different departments are not on the same different page. Processes can be deviated from standard policies which causes difficulties to accomplish a common goal among goal. People are hired with no prior related work experiences which causes challenges to work others Will cut corners to save cost

The Black Tux2019-07-23
  5. "Horrible Start up company."

Former Employee - Returns and Put-away

I worked at The Black Tux full-time for less than a year

Pros

Speak Spanish and LGBT friendly.

Cons

This company is a biased company. I worked there for 3 weeks and noticed the culture there favors Hispanic Spanish speaking workers and the LGBT community. I am a straight male and endured harassment at this company. Also the company moves people around departments a lot and are able to manipulate data in reference to what the company calls "Transactions per hour" . I would advise against working at this company.

The Black Tux2019-07-01
  6. "Black Tux Review"

Current Employee - Ambassador

I have been working at The Black Tux full-time for more than a year

Pros

Meet and greet a lot of new people help fit and pick out outfits for future events in their life

Cons

Understaffed and it can get chaotic sometimes. They are a start up company so a lot of random problems do tend to occur.

Advice to Management

Needs to make sure that all locations are steady and have a good foundation before starting others. Also better communication through out the business I feel like I am unaware of a lot of things that happen.

The Black Tux2019-06-28
  7. "Great experience, great team"

Former Employee - Brand Ambassador in Washington, DC

I worked at The Black Tux full-time for less than a year

Pros

It's great experience helping people plan thier event, weddings, helping them look Thier best On that special day.

Cons

Very technical job requirements, one has to have a little bit tailoring and fitting knowledge , I mean, you fit people all day for absent pieces , if it's not done right you would have lots of unhappy customers.

Advice to Management

The pay is so at $15/ hour is not equate to the work load,

The Black Tux2019-06-03
  8. "Good Company with Poor Execution"

I worked at The Black Tux full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good People, Good Work-Life Balance, Has the potential to be a much bigger company if they want to become that

Cons

Lack of communication and a solid growth plan leads to poor execution leaving employees stressed. The cultural differences between the headquarters and the rest of the company leaves something to be desired.

The Black Tux2019-05-02
  9. "Great team in a maturing start-up"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at The Black Tux full-time for less than a year

Pros

I’ve worked at a lot of startups, and TBT is one of the more mature in terms of its organization. They have a solid onboarding, culture-related training, annual performance reviews and cost-of-living raises, volunteer days, monthly employee recognition, annual training budgets for tech, and things like that. It feels like the company genuinely cares about employee retention. But because the company is still small, I... still feel heard and like I can have a real impact on culture, tech, process, etc. And there are so many dogs. I also really like all of my coworkers. They have put together a team of really smart, caring people. I also appreciate that the company is super transparent about finances, challenges, and other high-level trends. I feel like I can trust what I’m being told about how the company is doing.

Cons

There was a ton of turnover on the tech team, which sometimes means it feels like there’s no historical knowledge. And the tech is definitely over-complicated and it’s hard to find time to focus on it when there’s always a lot going on

Advice to Management

As we go from being an early start-up to whatever is next, make sure we have time and space to build things for the long run.

The Black Tux2019-04-11
  10. "avoid this place like the plague"

I worked at The Black Tux full-time for more than a year

Pros

pretty office and that's it

Cons

too many to name...most of the downfall stems from shoddy product and bad management.

The Black Tux2019-04-09