The Black Tux Reviews | Glassdoor

Andrew Blackmon
  1. "Come work with us!"

Current Employee - Office Coordinator in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at The Black Tux full-time for less than a year

Pros

Teamwork makes the dream work mentality, inclusive/diverse and a growing company that supports their employee's health and happiness!

Cons

If you aren't interested in building things out and innovation this may not be the right place for you at this time

The Black Tux2019-07-25

"Overall great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at The Black Tux full-time

Pros

- Great size and stage of company. Small enough to be nimble and not worry much about politics, large enough to avoid most of the startup chaos - Really strong culture. From the new hire onboarding program to the offsites to the emphasis on cultural values, the company does a great job ensuring that it's a good place to work. Also an overall great place for work/life balance. - High expectations. The... leadership really does try to assemble an A team. While this can lead to some turnover, I appreciate the dedication to excellence. - Investment in career development. Managers are encouraged to develop career pathways for all functions and career development is not overlooked.

Cons

- Leadership can do a better / more intentional job about sharing strategy / prioritized initiatives / roadmap with the teams at large. - Like many startups, can be prone to chase the next shiny penny, and this lack of focus can create some thrash.

The Black Tux2019-07-25
  3. "Bad and Good sides"

Former Employee - Administrative in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at The Black Tux full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great culture and people with lots of fun activities and caterings Annual salary adjustment Dog friendly Free health care Cell phone and parking reimbursement You can work remotely once in a while (if you work in the HQ) Unlimited PTO No micromanagement

Cons

Different departments are not on the same different page. Processes can be deviated from standard policies which causes difficulties to accomplish a common goal among goal. People are hired with no prior related work experiences which causes challenges to work others Will cut corners to save cost

The Black Tux2019-07-23
  4. "Horrible Start up company."

Former Employee - Returns and Put-away

I worked at The Black Tux full-time for less than a year

Pros

Speak Spanish and LGBT friendly.

Cons

This company is a biased company. I worked there for 3 weeks and noticed the culture there favors Hispanic Spanish speaking workers and the LGBT community. I am a straight male and endured harassment at this company. Also the company moves people around departments a lot and are able to manipulate data in reference to what the company calls "Transactions per hour" . I would advise against working at this company.

The Black Tux2019-07-01
  5. "Black Tux Review"

Current Employee - Ambassador

I have been working at The Black Tux full-time for more than a year

Pros

Meet and greet a lot of new people help fit and pick out outfits for future events in their life

Cons

Understaffed and it can get chaotic sometimes. They are a start up company so a lot of random problems do tend to occur.

Advice to Management

Needs to make sure that all locations are steady and have a good foundation before starting others. Also better communication through out the business I feel like I am unaware of a lot of things that happen.

The Black Tux2019-06-28
  6. "Great experience, great team"

Former Employee - Brand Ambassador in Washington, DC

I worked at The Black Tux full-time for less than a year

Pros

It's great experience helping people plan thier event, weddings, helping them look Thier best On that special day.

Cons

Very technical job requirements, one has to have a little bit tailoring and fitting knowledge , I mean, you fit people all day for absent pieces , if it's not done right you would have lots of unhappy customers.

Advice to Management

The pay is so at $15/ hour is not equate to the work load,

The Black Tux2019-06-03
  7. "Good Company with Poor Execution"

I worked at The Black Tux full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good People, Good Work-Life Balance, Has the potential to be a much bigger company if they want to become that

Cons

Lack of communication and a solid growth plan leads to poor execution leaving employees stressed. The cultural differences between the headquarters and the rest of the company leaves something to be desired.

The Black Tux2019-05-02
  8. "Great team in a maturing start-up"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at The Black Tux full-time for less than a year

Pros

I’ve worked at a lot of startups, and TBT is one of the more mature in terms of its organization. They have a solid onboarding, culture-related training, annual performance reviews and cost-of-living raises, volunteer days, monthly employee recognition, annual training budgets for tech, and things like that. It feels like the company genuinely cares about employee retention. But because the company is still small, I... still feel heard and like I can have a real impact on culture, tech, process, etc. And there are so many dogs. I also really like all of my coworkers. They have put together a team of really smart, caring people. I also appreciate that the company is super transparent about finances, challenges, and other high-level trends. I feel like I can trust what I’m being told about how the company is doing.

Cons

There was a ton of turnover on the tech team, which sometimes means it feels like there’s no historical knowledge. And the tech is definitely over-complicated and it’s hard to find time to focus on it when there’s always a lot going on

Advice to Management

As we go from being an early start-up to whatever is next, make sure we have time and space to build things for the long run.

The Black Tux2019-04-11
  9. "avoid this place like the plague"

I worked at The Black Tux full-time for more than a year

Pros

pretty office and that's it

Cons

too many to name...most of the downfall stems from shoddy product and bad management.

The Black Tux2019-04-09

"A great place to work for adults"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at The Black Tux full-time for more than a year

Pros

Forward thinking, innovative company who hires a lot of great people. The management team is really smart. Great with the way they spend money, and they don't blow cash like other Silicon Valley startups. They make smart decisions of who they hire, how they invest in the culture, and how departments budget. They pay people well. Anyone who says otherwise isn't being honest with themselves. There is a lot of... freedom, autonomy, ability to be creative with how you solve problems, and you get to work along smart really smart people. It's a great place for people to work who love to learn, solve problems, and have a real meaningful impact. This place is filled with compassionate people who really care about one another. Great work-life balance and supportive of people with families. Events are super fun, and you can tell the Talent and People team really cares about the employees. The management's is focused on building the right culture that is progressive and innovative. They're shifting the culture to focus on self-improvement, and ask people to be vulnerable at work, have low egos, own their mistakes, and have open and direct honest conversations with each other.

Cons

This place is great for people who speak up about their needs. People who proactively ask for feedback, flag areas for improvement (within their own role and internally within the company). It's not a place for people who have big egos, or who complain about their job or the company, and don't proactively do anything to make their situation or the company better. There are still some entitled employees on the team... who don't realize how great they have it.

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on self improvement for yourselves. This behavior has to be displayed by management in order for others to follow.

The Black Tux2019-04-09