The Black Tux Reviews | Glassdoor

Create your profile to get personalized information

The Black Tux Reviews

Updated Sep 26, 2019

3.8
The Black Tux CEO Andrew Blackmon
Andrew Blackmon

"A great place to work for adults"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at The Black Tux full-time for more than a year

Pros

Forward thinking, innovative company who hires a lot of great people. The management team is really smart. Great with the way they spend money, and they don't blow cash like other Silicon Valley startups. They make smart decisions of who they hire, how they invest in the culture, and how departments budget. They pay people well. Anyone who says otherwise isn't being honest with themselves. There is a lot of freedom, autonomy, ability to be creative with how you solve problems, and you get to work along smart really smart people. It's a great place for people to work who love to learn, solve problems, and have a real meaningful impact. This place is filled with compassionate people who really care about one another. Great work-life balance and supportive of people with families. Events are super fun, and you can tell the Talent and People team really cares about the employees. The management's is focused on building the right culture that is progressive and innovative. They're shifting the culture to focus on self-improvement, and ask people to be vulnerable at work, have low egos, own their mistakes, and have open and direct honest conversations with each other.

Cons

This place is great for people who speak up about their needs. People who proactively ask for feedback, flag areas for improvement (within their own role and internally within the company). It's not a place for people who have big egos, or who complain about their job or the company, and don't proactively do anything to make their situation or the company better. There are still some entitled employees on the team who don't realize how great they have it.

The Black Tux2019-04-09

"Tech Team needs leadership"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at The Black Tux full-time for less than a year

Pros

Fun team, free lunch Fridays and free dry cleaning

Cons

Unnecessarily complex tech stack, not well understood makes progress difficult and slow.

The Black Tux2019-04-05
  3. "Growth opportunities and supportive colleagues"

Current Employee - Designer in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at The Black Tux full-time for less than a year

Pros

Coming from a software background, The Black Tux is a unique team because they offer an end to end customer experience. There are so many different skillsets here and many opportunities to learn and grow from colleagues. As an individual contributor, I feel empowered and supported to do my best work. All my teammates are highly capable and committed to doing what's best for the company and our customers with humility and kindness.

Cons

Hard to think of any cons. It would depend on what you're looking for in a role and if The Black Tux can offer you that. As long as the role is a good mutual fit, this is a great company to work for.

The Black Tux2018-12-22

"Great place to grow, but leadership can be a little ivory tower-ish"

I have been working at The Black Tux full-time for more than a year

Pros

It's been clear what my responsibilities are from day one, with a ton of autonomy around how I get things done. I appreciate how flat the organization feels and how easy it is for me to get involved with problem solving across multiple teams. The Talent Team really goes out of their way to create a sense of community and to make sure that we get what we need to be top performers.

Cons

There have been some recent employee changes and some turnover that have hit employee morale.

The Black Tux2018-11-05
  5. "Overall good company"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at The Black Tux full-time for less than a year

Pros

Clear expectations, good communication, values feedback

Cons

Rapidly changing protocol, sometimes causing confusion

The Black Tux2018-11-02

"Good but can improve"

I have been working at The Black Tux full-time for less than a year

Pros

Career growth, Friday lunches, Free rentals

Cons

Lack of communication between departments

The Black Tux2018-10-21

"My Dream Entry Level Job"

I have been working at The Black Tux full-time

Pros

Where do I even start! The Black Tux is such a fantastic place to work for a bright eyed, enthusiastic, college grads such as myself. Ever since I started 2 months ago, everyone has been extremely welcoming and supportive. The company culture is fun, energetic and collaborative. Diversity is a key theme among employees, and there's definitely a feeling of camaraderie and teamwork in the air. Plus, the CEO and President (a.k.a the two co-founders) are extremely approachable and really make an effort to get to know each employee. I mean, how often does that happen in an organization?! The Black Tux is a fast-paced start up environment where innovation and out-of-the-box thinking is applauded. On that note, another pro is that you're aloud to make mistakes here - which I think is very important for someone entering the workforce. Definitely not something you would find working in a large corporate company. Many employees also started in customer care (where I am now) and grew quickly to various positions in Marketing, HR, Retail and Growth. That's always a good sign that a company supports internal growth! Knowing this encourages me to work harder and stay with the company. Overall, I would recommend working at The Black Tux to anyone, especially to college grads. Even as an entry level employee, I feel extremely valued and important. The Black Tux has really mastered what it means to have an amazing company culture.

Cons

Honestly, it's very hard to think of a con - which is a good sign! But unfortunately, as much as I love working for The Black Tux, it's extremely stressful financially. Living in LA is very expensive - with small bedrooms starting from $1,200/$1300 a month - then factor in other expenses such as car insurance, student loans, gas, food etc. Currently, I'm not making enough money to break even at the end of each month (I make $17 an hour which works out to be $2,000 a month). If I could, I would work a second job on the weekend - but my position at The Black Tux requires me to have weekends and holidays open in case I need to work. When I've asked my friends who have similar entry level jobs at other companies, they are all making more than I am which is rather discouraging. However, I have a lot of confidence in The Black Tux and hope that if I work hard and stick to it, my efforts will be noticed! I love my job at The Black Tux and I really want to stay here ... I just hope that I can make it work financially for the time being. I have to remind myself that I'm not here for the money, I'm here because I believe in this company. Plus, we all have to start off somewhere right? ... Entry level jobs aren't supposed to be high paid. All I can say is thank goodness for credit cards.

The Black Tux2018-09-10

"Work & Culture at The Black Tux"

Current Employee - Operations in Gardena, CA

I have been working at The Black Tux full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I was lucky enough to stumble upon the Black Tux over 3 years ago and I can confidently say I have grown quite a bit both personally and professionally. If you are a good team player, enjoy thinking outside the box, innovating and having fun, you will fit in well here.

Cons

As a start-up company, sometimes I feel we focus a little too much on growth when we have some things about our infrastructure that could really use a makeover. It is hard to run when your shoes are worn down!

The Black Tux2018-07-30

"Great Company - Perfect Place to Gain Experience and Skills (Internship)"

Current Employee - Industrial Engineering Intern in Gardena, CA

I have been working at The Black Tux full-time for less than a year

Pros

I've been working at The Black Tux for under two months and I've already found my place at this amazing company. The culture is fundamentally perfect as it combines acceptance, welcome, and allows you to feel like a member of a greater cause extremely quickly. Along with the typical startup perks (snacks, catered lunches, weekly events, eager individuals, diversity, and more) the managers are more than qualified and experienced to be leading others. My boss mapped out my entire Summer-long internship with goal of learning a valuable skill (the SQL coding language) and being able to say that I actually impacted the company. This is difficult to find in an internship and I'm grateful to be working here.

Cons

The Black Tux is still a start up company. It's growing quickly and the customer base is expanding everyday. Due to these changes, it's very difficult to be a perfect company so of course there are small inefficiencies. There is a bit of a cultural divide between the Santa Monica location and the warehouses. It's mainly due to the distance between the locations (logically) but I think management could make an effort to build the relationship more.

The Black Tux2018-07-27

"Collaborative, Mature & Fun Work Environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at The Black Tux full-time for less than a year

Pros

From the first interview, it was definitely apparent that The Black Tux values culture fit and the work / life balance of it's employees which is very refreshing in todays economy, especially for startups. Some companies say they want you to take vacation, work from home, to have flexibility but rarely do they actually mean it like TBT does. Here you'll be surrounded by a bright and friendly bunch - no real politics games or drama that I can see. Management enables employees to work independently, take initiative on projects, etc. No real micromanagement here, and lots of room for professional growth and development if you want it. The company also takes care to recognize and reward excellence and promote from within wherever they can. Onboarding was top-notch with intros to various departments and their key functions, processes and values; I really enjoyed getting to shadow customer service and our warehouse to get a more well-rounded understanding of our business and it's challenges. I felt like TBT gave me the tools to hit the ground running from day 1. Company goals are pretty clearly communicated and defined and adjusted at a reasonable cadence, not a lot of last minute pivoting and scrambling. Benefits are pretty great: excellent compensation as well as all your startup standards like 100% employer-paid medical, plus free Friday Lunches and some interesting freebies like dry cleaning services. As culture is important, we have a lot of company events, little treats and activities like happy hours, bowling, sporting events, etc. Overall, it's a great place to work and I honestly really enjoy coming into work every day!

Cons

Like any other tech-based startup, there are staffing challenges leading to some backlog, especially for engineers and designers, but overall the team is able to keep working through it so the pinch isn't felt too badly - there's just always more we could be doing with more bandwidth. No 401k matching if that's important to you - though that could always change down the line. The HQ office is in Downtown Santa Monica, thus parking is terrible - spots are only provided for select employees, everyone else is reimbursed for up to a certain amount per day for a parking lot a couple blocks away.

The Black Tux2018-07-02