The Black Tux Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 26, 2019

3.8
The Black Tux CEO Andrew Blackmon
Andrew Blackmon
  1. "Great Company, Amazing People, First Career Path I Can Say I Enjoy Coming To Work"

Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Pittston, PA

I have been working at The Black Tux full-time for less than a year

Pros

The company has a fantastic foundation built on a culture of inclusion and fun. You work hard and play hard as the saying goes. Excellent pay and benefits. The company has adopted an attitude of caring towards its employees. You are encouraged to try new ideas and are constantly being engaged to learn new areas.

Cons

There are some communication issues but this occurs with all companies.

The Black Tux2018-05-30
  2. "My favorite job after 10+ years in retail"

Current Employee - Showroom Manager

I have been working at The Black Tux full-time for less than a year

Pros

The company culture at The Black Tux is great. Everyone is valued equally, from managers to part time associates. Questions and constructive criticisms are always welcome and addressed. Quality of life is very important here, which is the opposite of most soul-crushing retail jobs. I've seen a number of promotions in the last six months, in all areas of the company, so growth is definitely possible.

Cons

Occasionally Customer Care miscommunicates info to customers, leading us to have to solve avoidable issues in appointments.

The Black Tux2018-05-28
  3. "True Visionaries"

Current Employee - Office Manager in Pittston, PA

I have been working at The Black Tux full-time for more than a year

Pros

I had the privilege to start working with The Black Tux at the end of December 2016. I began in their Operations as a support to their team through the staffing agency. I can say from an outside perspective it was truly a great experience to see the amount of effort and commitment the Operations team presented for growth opportunities at every level. Coming for a previous aerospace environment and the rigidness of... the traditional work setting, this was a breath of fresh air that enticed such a contagious atmosphere of positivity. I truly enjoyed my time there. As the company grew their Operations to new horizons I was lucky enough to be brought onboard to their Talent team and get to see where the culture stems from. I can honestly say that the Co-Founders are true visionaries and have engrained their beliefs into the leadership team that can be seen reflected to the rest of the company. Through their Open-mindedness, conviction, tolerance for risk, persistence, forward thinking and charisma they have set a platform where everyone from every walk of life can feel like they are true contributors to the success of the company.

Cons

The company does a great job of transparency, but I think sharing more information on the background or process of why and how we are doing is really appreciated. It gives employees a great sense of value when they know they are a part of an important milestone.

Advice to Management

The Culture Book and the message it shares is powerful. I think the same way most companies have a review of their handbooks we should have a review of the culture book. It's a good way to remind everyone to look at the bigger picture and see why we are part of this great company.

The Black Tux2018-05-25

"A company with integrity and moral culture"

Current Employee - Data Analyst in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at The Black Tux full-time for more than a year

Pros

I've been given everything I need to succeed...mentorship, resources, everything. I've also been judged on my PERFORMANCE, and really nothing else. This includes my character and management of my time. The culture strikes the balance between freedom/responsibility better than anywhere I've been. I can work from anywhere as long as I'm getting my job done. We also get unlimited vacation, and I don't feel pressured to... not use it. My salary and career advancement have been linearly related to my skills and performance and are market-competitive.

Cons

There have been lapses and numerous changes in management, particularly in engineering. Some problems we're experiencing have been around since the start of the business, however it doesn't make me pessimistic. The executive team is working hard to find the right talent to lead this company where it needs to go.

Advice to Management

Keep going after the best people. There are problems that were created, I think, by not doing this at the inception of the company. Continuing to improve this will be key to long-term success.

The Black Tux2018-05-22

"I love this place"

I have been working at The Black Tux full-time for more than a year

Pros

The Black Tux has been the only company I've worked for that makes me look forward to coming in every morning. I love the support and trust I receive from everyone in the company. It's really empowering to be on the team that cares about your growth!

Cons

We need a bigger space!

The Black Tux2018-05-22
  6. "A little piece of heaven on earth!!!"

Current Employee - Office Coordinator in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at The Black Tux full-time for less than a year

Pros

I started at The Black Tux in Feb. 2018. I started out in our Customer Care department. I loved it from the very beginning. The company makes you feel so welcomed and heard. When starting off in Customer Care I was able to actually work with the customers that we serve. I truly felt like I was apart of their special day/event/milestone in life. Helping them problem solve and work through their many stresses. I... actual felt like apart of their family as well. It felt really great for customers to call for you and know you by first name. The support that you feel from not only your coworker's but those in management is unreal. I have never felt so blessed to be apart of something so great. In April of 2018 I was then promoted to Office coordinator and I was able to now work in a different department for The Black Tux. I loved it even more. I am now able to work with a little more behind the scenes, ranging from our showrooms to making my coworkers feel appreciated. How amazing! I know you may be reading this and thinking there is no way someone cold love their job that much! Well I am here to say... Yes! Yes, you can! I love being able to come to work and be not only myself but creative and learn so many new things from a wide range of amazing people.

Cons

I wish I could stay here all day lol. I honestly would work 10-12 hours for this company and not event blink an eye!.

Advice to Management

Maybe buy a building for headquarters with an apartment building above it so that I can just take an elevator to work! That would be clutch! Thank you The Black Tux for giving me this opportunity. I look forward to many more years to come.

The Black Tux2018-05-21
  7. "Great company to work for!"

Current Employee - Showroom Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at The Black Tux part-time for less than a year

Pros

I applied at The Black Tux hoping to get out of the boring, robot-like corporate world and TBT helped me do just that! TBT truly cares about its employees and its culture (free lunches, parties, monthly snacks), which is something none of my other employers have valued before. The owners and managers have a great understanding of what motivates people to work! They also prioritize work/life balance greatly because... they value and want what is best for their employees. The whole team is hardworking because the owners believe everyone's input and talent is valuable. Everyone has a title; however, everyone is expected to be a leader. One can take on as much or as little responsibility they feel comfortable doing so. Very fair pay. Very flexible with hours. Everyone is friendly, positive, and wants to be there. There is plenty of room for company growth. TBT is a great place for self-growth as well as professional because they give their employees a lot of freedom, so you have to be self-disciplined as well as self-motivated. If you want to experience working at a start-up this is the place for you!

Cons

I can't think of any cons! I love it at TBT!!

Advice to Management

Instagram is extremely popular right now and I believe TBT could do really cool things on Instagram/Instagram stories to help grow the company even further.

The Black Tux2018-05-16
  8. "Awesome experience at TBT"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at The Black Tux full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Company culture is clearly important to the leadership team - Frequent management/employee trainings - Clear company goals and team goals - Consistent feedback and support from my direct manager and teammates - Typical start up benefits (snacks, happy hours, events, unlimited PTO, dog friendly, etc) - Good health benefit options - Good salary and stock options - Lots of opportunity to learn and try new... things

Cons

My only real complaint stems from typical start up growing pains. Communication between departments isn't always great. Frequently, people who are on the same team aren't even on the same page about priorities. Priorities changes a lot.

Advice to Management

Keep the team motivated towards our end goals. The thing that motivates me most about working here is knowing that we are building something really cool together, and that we all have an impact on that. Keep being transparent and letting us know what's going on, as it helps us understand what our value is here.

The Black Tux2018-03-22

"No Transparency"

I worked at The Black Tux full-time

Pros

Start Up Vibe, Employee Perks, Positive business growth

Cons

Poor or lack of communication. Poor management.

The Black Tux2018-03-19

"A complete joke"

Sales in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at The Black Tux for less than a year

Pros

Cool location and dogs are allowed

Cons

Low wage Shoddy product Deceitful management Lies online

Advice to Management

Pay more, make better products, and be upfront with your employees

The Black Tux2018-03-09