KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

The Black Tux

Is this your company?

The Black Tux

Add a Review

The Black Tux Employee Reviews about "black tux"

Updated Dec 2, 2021

Found 12 of over 85 reviews

4.2
The Black Tux Founder Andrew Blackmon
Andrew Blackmon
Pros
  • "The Black Tux is really great at acknowledging each worker for the individual they are(in 12 reviews)

• "TBT cares about their employees success and well being(in 11 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Additionally, there were issues with communication between departments(in 4 reviews)

• "I've also noticed a pattern for when they are criticized on social media(in 3 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of The Black Tux and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "black tux"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee

Great place to work and grow!

Dec 2, 2021 - Retail Associate in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Too many to list honestly! The Black Tux is really great at acknowledging each worker for the individual they are. Also, at making sure each person has everything they need to show up to work and be successful. From Uber credit monthly to free yoga/meditation classes.

Cons

-Super busy during prime wedding season -There's a slow season, so hours may lessen if so.

2. 5.0

Culture is the Focus

Feb 28, 2020 - Human Resources Business Partner in Jenkins Township, PA
      Business Outlook

Pros

The Black Tux truly cares about their employees and creating a culture that allows transparent communication. Every employee is treated with respect, and there are key programs in place to ensure everyone feels valued in their role.

Cons

I currently do not have anything to add to this.

1 person found this review helpful
    3. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

True Visionaries

May 25, 2018 - Office Manager in Pittston, PA
      Business Outlook

Pros

I had the privilege to start working with The Black Tux at the end of December 2016. I began in their Operations as a support to their team through the staffing agency. I can say from an outside perspective it was truly a great experience to see the amount of effort and commitment the Operations team presented for growth opportunities at every level. Coming for a previous aerospace environment and the rigidness of the traditional work setting, this was a breath of fresh air that enticed such a contagious atmosphere of positivity. I truly enjoyed my time there. As the company grew their Operations to new horizons I was lucky enough to be brought onboard to their Talent team and get to see where the culture stems from. I can honestly say that the Co-Founders are true visionaries and have engrained their beliefs into the leadership team that can be seen reflected to the rest of the company. Through their Open-mindedness, conviction, tolerance for risk, persistence, forward thinking and charisma they have set a platform where everyone from every walk of life can feel like they are true contributors to the success of the company.

Cons

The company does a great job of transparency, but I think sharing more information on the background or process of why and how we are doing is really appreciated. It gives employees a great sense of value when they know they are a part of an important milestone.

4. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great Company - Perfect Place to Gain Experience and Skills (Internship)

Jul 27, 2018 - Industrial Engineering Intern in Gardena, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

I've been working at The Black Tux for under two months and I've already found my place at this amazing company. The culture is fundamentally perfect as it combines acceptance, welcome, and allows you to feel like a member of a greater cause extremely quickly. Along with the typical startup perks (snacks, catered lunches, weekly events, eager individuals, diversity, and more) the managers are more than qualified and experienced to be leading others. My boss mapped out my entire Summer-long internship with goal of learning a valuable skill (the SQL coding language) and being able to say that I actually impacted the company. This is difficult to find in an internship and I'm grateful to be working here.

Cons

The Black Tux is still a start up company. It's growing quickly and the customer base is expanding everyday. Due to these changes, it's very difficult to be a perfect company so of course there are small inefficiencies. There is a bit of a cultural divide between the Santa Monica location and the warehouses. It's mainly due to the distance between the locations (logically) but I think management could make an effort to build the relationship more.

3 people found this review helpful
    5. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great company to work for!

May 16, 2018 - Showroom Consultant in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

I applied at The Black Tux hoping to get out of the boring, robot-like corporate world and TBT helped me do just that! TBT truly cares about its employees and its culture (free lunches, parties, monthly snacks), which is something none of my other employers have valued before. The owners and managers have a great understanding of what motivates people to work! They also prioritize work/life balance greatly because they value and want what is best for their employees. The whole team is hardworking because the owners believe everyone's input and talent is valuable. Everyone has a title; however, everyone is expected to be a leader. One can take on as much or as little responsibility they feel comfortable doing so. Very fair pay. Very flexible with hours. Everyone is friendly, positive, and wants to be there. There is plenty of room for company growth. TBT is a great place for self-growth as well as professional because they give their employees a lot of freedom, so you have to be self-disciplined as well as self-motivated. If you want to experience working at a start-up this is the place for you!

Cons

I can't think of any cons! I love it at TBT!!

6. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Great company to work for

Jan 23, 2018 - Project Manager in Santa Monica, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

I worked for The Black Tux for 3 years and had a really good experience. I've seen it grow from a small operation of fewer than 10 people with a garage fulfillment facility to now over 150 employees and warehouses across the US. I recommend working here, especially if you're a self-starter and looking for career growth. Reasons why it's great: * Lots of opportunity for growth. * Collaborative environment with good workspace. * Flat organizational structure where all voices can be heard. * Good benefits and perks. * Concern for company culture and employee satisfaction. * Fair and equal compensation. * Smart and unpretentious people.

Cons

There have been plenty of growing pains over the years, but management is aware of it's weakest points and is constantly looking for ways to improve.

7. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Growth opportunities and supportive colleagues

Dec 22, 2018 - Designer in Santa Monica, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Coming from a software background, The Black Tux is a unique team because they offer an end to end customer experience. There are so many different skillsets here and many opportunities to learn and grow from colleagues. As an individual contributor, I feel empowered and supported to do my best work. All my teammates are highly capable and committed to doing what's best for the company and our customers with humility and kindness.

Cons

Hard to think of any cons. It would depend on what you're looking for in a role and if The Black Tux can offer you that. As long as the role is a good mutual fit, this is a great company to work for.

8. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Best Company Culture I've Experienced Thus Far!

Jan 25, 2018 - Technical Project Manager in Santa Monica, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

I am relatively new here at The Black Tux and so far I absolutely love it! It is quite evident that both the owners, Andrew and Patrick, have a great understanding of what motivates folks to do their best work. They key is believing in your employees and the talent they bring to the table. TBT is a highly collaborative/entrepreneurial environment. You are in control of your success and have the support of upper management to reach your career goals. How can I forget, the company culture is friendly, energetic, and positive.

Cons

No cons from what I can see.

9. 5.0
      Current Employee

My Dream Entry Level Job

Sep 10, 2018 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Where do I even start! The Black Tux is such a fantastic place to work for a bright eyed, enthusiastic, college grads such as myself. Ever since I started 2 months ago, everyone has been extremely welcoming and supportive. The company culture is fun, energetic and collaborative. Diversity is a key theme among employees, and there's definitely a feeling of camaraderie and teamwork in the air. Plus, the CEO and President (a.k.a the two co-founders) are extremely approachable and really make an effort to get to know each employee. I mean, how often does that happen in an organization?! The Black Tux is a fast-paced start up environment where innovation and out-of-the-box thinking is applauded. On that note, another pro is that you're aloud to make mistakes here - which I think is very important for someone entering the workforce. Definitely not something you would find working in a large corporate company. Many employees also started in customer care (where I am now) and grew quickly to various positions in Marketing, HR, Retail and Growth. That's always a good sign that a company supports internal growth! Knowing this encourages me to work harder and stay with the company. Overall, I would recommend working at The Black Tux to anyone, especially to college grads. Even as an entry level employee, I feel extremely valued and important. The Black Tux has really mastered what it means to have an amazing company culture.

Cons

Honestly, it's very hard to think of a con - which is a good sign! But unfortunately, as much as I love working for The Black Tux, it's extremely stressful financially. Living in LA is very expensive - with small bedrooms starting from $1,200/$1300 a month - then factor in other expenses such as car insurance, student loans, gas, food etc. Currently, I'm not making enough money to break even at the end of each month (I make $17 an hour which works out to be $2,000 a month). If I could, I would work a second job on the weekend - but my position at The Black Tux requires me to have weekends and holidays open in case I need to work. When I've asked my friends who have similar entry level jobs at other companies, they are all making more than I am which is rather discouraging. However, I have a lot of confidence in The Black Tux and hope that if I work hard and stick to it, my efforts will be noticed! I love my job at The Black Tux and I really want to stay here ... I just hope that I can make it work financially for the time being. I have to remind myself that I'm not here for the money, I'm here because I believe in this company. Plus, we all have to start off somewhere right? ... Entry level jobs aren't supposed to be high paid. All I can say is thank goodness for credit cards.

2 people found this review helpful
    10. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

A little piece of heaven on earth!!!

May 21, 2018 - Office Coordinator in Santa Monica, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

I started at The Black Tux in Feb. 2018. I started out in our Customer Care department. I loved it from the very beginning. The company makes you feel so welcomed and heard. When starting off in Customer Care I was able to actually work with the customers that we serve. I truly felt like I was apart of their special day/event/milestone in life. Helping them problem solve and work through their many stresses. I actual felt like apart of their family as well. It felt really great for customers to call for you and know you by first name. The support that you feel from not only your coworker's but those in management is unreal. I have never felt so blessed to be apart of something so great. In April of 2018 I was then promoted to Office coordinator and I was able to now work in a different department for The Black Tux. I loved it even more. I am now able to work with a little more behind the scenes, ranging from our showrooms to making my coworkers feel appreciated. How amazing! I know you may be reading this and thinking there is no way someone cold love their job that much! Well I am here to say... Yes! Yes, you can! I love being able to come to work and be not only myself but creative and learn so many new things from a wide range of amazing people.

Cons

I wish I could stay here all day lol. I honestly would work 10-12 hours for this company and not event blink an eye!.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 12 Reviews