KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

The Black Tux

Is this your company?

The Black Tux

Add a Review

The Black Tux Employee Reviews about "tbt"

Updated Nov 22, 2021

Found 11 of over 85 reviews

4.2
The Black Tux Founder Andrew Blackmon
Andrew Blackmon
Pros
  • "The Black Tux is really great at acknowledging each worker for the individual they are(in 12 reviews)

• "TBT cares about their employees success and well being(in 11 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Additionally, there were issues with communication between departments(in 4 reviews)

• "I've also noticed a pattern for when they are criticized on social media(in 3 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of The Black Tux and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "tbt"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Grateful to work here

May 11, 2021 - Operations
      Business Outlook

Pros

TBT cares about their employees success and well being. We are encouraged to explore outside courses, certifications, etc to further our professional development. They also care about us as people and have employee engagement check-ins, schedule wellness days off and coordinate meditation and yoga classes. I also truly enjoy working and spending time with my coworkers. TBT goes through a pretty vigorous interview process to ensure the person is not only qualified to do the work but also will be a good culture fit and represents our company values. We also have a Diversity & Inclusion team that is organized and run by TBT employees. They sent out monthly news letters and offer seminars on topics that include Black History Month, National Women's Day, LGBTQ awareness and mental health awareness.

Cons

Sometimes I feel like we have our foot in one too many initiatives. I would like to simplify our brand and perfect what we are doing, as opposed to taking on so many different avenues of acquiring customers.

2. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

You might not hate working here

Nov 22, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

You'll work with some really nice, bright people and likely have a good time with them and not hate spending time with your coworkers. TBT tends to hire on culture fit, and I didn't really perceive any instances where not going to events would hurt your standing or opportunities. In fact they were pretty receptive and good about dipping into office hours to do events so that people with kids or other responsibilities could attend. There was a good slate of culture and bonding events while I was there for 2+ years, including really nice holiday parties, birthday and holiday celebrations. TBT does really well on compensation, typically - though I can only speak for HQ jobs; YMMV if you work in a warehouse or showroom. They tend to offer competitive wages so they can get the candidates they want. When we were in the office there were some nice perks, including cellphone reimbursement, dry cleaning, and a well-stocked kitchen and free lunch Fridays. And of course free Rentals and discounts. Depending on what team you're on, true work/life balance is possible. I think this would be a great first job in a corporate / startup environment.

Cons

Some teams can be a bit toxic with little room for growth, promotion, etc. Depending on what team you're on it can feel hard to get a seat at the table or even have your ideas heard. They made a specific effort to push diversity and inclusion but change was pretty slow. I don't really care about getting a gift for International Women's Day, I'd rather be listened to and included. There were a lot of times where I felt very hamstrung in my job due to needing seemingly everyone to sign off on very little things, regardless of their experience of knowledge on the subject. There was a lot of effort put into communication and I commend them for that, however it fell short a lot - there could be a lot of pivoting, stakeholders leaving with no communication to anyone and no backfill, etc. Inventory issues were a constant problem at peak times and during Prom season and would really sideline any effort that was made on my team - we weren't set up for success here at all. On top of this nothing was ever communicated until it was really too late - a ton of wasted money and effort for business we were never going to be able to capture. And this happened year over year, with no changes to combat this issue.

3. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Best place I've ever worked

Sep 26, 2019 - Marketing in Santa Monica, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Not overstating things––this is the best place I've ever worked. My work priorities are autonomy/respect, responsibilities I'm excited by and can learn from, great people, flexibility, strong salary, and a fun culture. TBT is all of those things and more.

Cons

Startup-y in that initiatives we've invested in can suddenly go away or get dramatically scaled down, and communication isn't always the best across teams.

4. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great company to work for!

May 16, 2018 - Showroom Consultant in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

I applied at The Black Tux hoping to get out of the boring, robot-like corporate world and TBT helped me do just that! TBT truly cares about its employees and its culture (free lunches, parties, monthly snacks), which is something none of my other employers have valued before. The owners and managers have a great understanding of what motivates people to work! They also prioritize work/life balance greatly because they value and want what is best for their employees. The whole team is hardworking because the owners believe everyone's input and talent is valuable. Everyone has a title; however, everyone is expected to be a leader. One can take on as much or as little responsibility they feel comfortable doing so. Very fair pay. Very flexible with hours. Everyone is friendly, positive, and wants to be there. There is plenty of room for company growth. TBT is a great place for self-growth as well as professional because they give their employees a lot of freedom, so you have to be self-disciplined as well as self-motivated. If you want to experience working at a start-up this is the place for you!

Cons

I can't think of any cons! I love it at TBT!!

5. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great team in a maturing start-up

Apr 10, 2019 - Software Engineer in Santa Monica, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

I’ve worked at a lot of startups, and TBT is one of the more mature in terms of its organization. They have a solid onboarding, culture-related training, annual performance reviews and cost-of-living raises, volunteer days, monthly employee recognition, annual training budgets for tech, and things like that. It feels like the company genuinely cares about employee retention. But because the company is still small, I still feel heard and like I can have a real impact on culture, tech, process, etc. And there are so many dogs. I also really like all of my coworkers. They have put together a team of really smart, caring people. I also appreciate that the company is super transparent about finances, challenges, and other high-level trends. I feel like I can trust what I’m being told about how the company is doing.

Cons

There was a ton of turnover on the tech team, which sometimes means it feels like there’s no historical knowledge. And the tech is definitely over-complicated and it’s hard to find time to focus on it when there’s always a lot going on

6. 5.0

A Place to Grow for the Self-Disciplined and Self-Motivated

Sep 4, 2017 - Engineer - Technology Team in Santa Monica, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

TBT is not a place for everyone, They give a lot of freedom to their employees, but they will not tolerate anyone who takes advantage of it. They vigorously defend their culture by only keeping those employees that have the self-discipline, self-motivation and positive attitude to thrive in this type of environment. Mistakes and failures are treated as learning experiences and I have yet to see anyone made to feel ashamed or castigated for it. Technology and Product teams are given complete autonomy to determine what their projects will be (with some reasonable stipulations). From the dog (and stray kitten) friendly office to a visit from some furry friends from a local dog & cat rescue, there is a tremendous sense of support for animal welfare across the company. Overall a solid start-up that appears to be poised to blast off, and one that I am proud to say I work for.

Cons

More cowbell. . . .

3 people found this review helpful
    7. 5.0
      Current Employee

Good Startup Experience

Sep 1, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

The company gives me a lot of space to be creative with my job. The job is really what I make of it. I have a lot of ownership in my role at TBT; I feel like I make my own list of things that I want to accomplish and challenge myself to get them done. There's a lot of collaboration in the company. I'm working on projects with every single department and finding ways that I can add value to other teams. I think if you want the full experience of working at a startup, this is a really good place to be.

Cons

I think you have to be very proactive to do well here... Senior Management puts a lot of trust in employees and so the people here should know what they need to do and how to get it done with little guidance.

2 people found this review helpful
    8. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Best Company Culture I've Experienced Thus Far!

Jan 25, 2018 - Technical Project Manager in Santa Monica, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

I am relatively new here at The Black Tux and so far I absolutely love it! It is quite evident that both the owners, Andrew and Patrick, have a great understanding of what motivates folks to do their best work. They key is believing in your employees and the talent they bring to the table. TBT is a highly collaborative/entrepreneurial environment. You are in control of your success and have the support of upper management to reach your career goals. How can I forget, the company culture is friendly, energetic, and positive.

Cons

No cons from what I can see.

9. 5.0
      Current Employee

Friendly Work Place

Sep 25, 2017 - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

My manager truly cares about me and my team member's wellbeing--professionally and personally. I think this is important to have because you spend so much time with each other. I appreciate the constant feedback from my team. Very friendly work atmosphere. I see a lot of employees become close friends in and out of work, e.g. becoming lunch buddies at work to attending concerts together. These are just a few things I really appreciate about this company. I've never worked for a company like this and it helps me appreciate that TBT genuinely cares about their employees.

Cons

None I can think of now

10. 5.0

This company truly cares

Oct 1, 2017 - Customer Care Associate
      Business Outlook

Pros

This place is amazing! I have never had such a want to come to work! They truly take great care of you! I come in to fresh brewed coffee every morning, and a wide variety of snacks. I get to work with some truly amazing people, and we all help each other out. There is free lunch every Friday. They will also give us random snacks as surprises, like a make your own ice cream sandwich bar. I like as well that they give you a lot of freedom, but they also give you a lot of responsibility. Like you have all day to work, and they don't fully police you, but you can't be slacking off. Since I have more freedom at work, I feel that I can perform my best! (And it shows!) They also hire a lot from within. If you work your hardest, they want to keep you. Other benefits are amazing, like heath insurance, paid parking/public transport, snacks, sparking water, kombucha, cold brew coffee, and performance contests! I like how everyone is nice to each other, like we all have lunch together, and hang out after work. We have company planned co-mingle lunches, where you have lunch with people in different departments. I lie as well how even the co-founders know who I am and they ask me about my day! I took a bit of a pay cut coming to this job, but that's only because I came from a ritzy corporate job. That corporate job paid well, but they treated their employees like crap. I'm glad I quit to work at TBT!

Cons

The only down side are that there are some (a few) employees that don't know how good we have it, and don't appreciate what an amazing company we work for. I think that's because they never had a boring corporate job. I also love the work life balance. I have had ohs where I have taken work home with me mentally. Here I just show up to work, and can leave, without a worry.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 11 Reviews