The Blackstone Group Reviews | Glassdoor

The Blackstone Group Reviews

Updated August 16, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Very Smart people in the company (in 15 reviews)

• Very demanding work enviorment where you learn a lot but cearfully supervised by associates/principals (in 4 reviews)

1. "the best"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at The Blackstone Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

these are good people who care about their work and the people that work with them

Cons

none that come to mind

2. "What happened to pay?"

Current Employee - Tax Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Tax Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at The Blackstone Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Smart people, good reputation, and free lunch

Cons

The pay in the back office is awful and it just got worse.

Advice to Management

Want to retain good talent? Start giving better pay and opportunities for advancement

3. "Analyst"

I worked at The Blackstone Group full-time

Pros

Interesting projects and generally smart colleagues.

Cons

Very intense at times, not much emphasis on training.

"Great place if you're at the top!"

I worked at The Blackstone Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- People that are valued are paid a lot of money
    - Great name/reputation to have on your resume

Cons

- Sharp elbows culture, to the extreme
    - There are some haves (especially those there for a long time) and many many have nots
    - Slowly but surely turned collegial culture into a results at any cost culture

Advice to Management

Clean house and let Jon Gray take over the firm now

5. "A great company"

Former Employee - Equity Research Analyst in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Equity Research Analyst in Boston, MA

I worked at The Blackstone Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Rapid advancement; prestige; resources; salary. Decent hours.

Cons

Job not that stable;

6. "Amazing Place to Start a Career"

Former Employee - Analyst in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at The Blackstone Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Overall, this is an amazing place to start a career out of college - large amounts of responsibility given to junior employees, interesting work, opens up a network of many other job opportunities.

Cons

The different business units are somewhat silo'd. However, management was making efforts to increase the connectivity between different groups, which has been successful.

Advice to Management

Blackstone still feels like a very entrepreneurial place to work (despite its growing size). Not many suggestions - continue to hire smart employees and be supportive with career development.

"Summer Analyst"

Former Employee - Summer Analyst in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Summer Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at The Blackstone Group (Less than a year)

Pros

Great exposure, fast-paced learning environment, culture of highly intelligent people who demand the best of themselves and those around them

Cons

Somewhat arrogant, overblown company culture - people love to use the phrase "best and the brightest" to describe themselves.

Advice to Management

I'll give the advice that you gave to me: never be complacent

"Dysfunctional /Inept Legal and Compliance Team. Ugly corporate culture to be in."

Former Employee - Compliance in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Compliance in New York, NY

I worked at The Blackstone Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

One and the only thing was free meal of $15.00 through seamlessweb. And that started few months ago, prior, lunch was at your own expense but the business generating departments always had free lunch. Such BX claims of all employees being equal at the eyes of the firm was a sham. Many complained about the various inequities in place.

Since I left the firm, my sanity is back and having a wonderful work-life balance. Thank you BX for making me realize how sick you are, more so after my departure. My comp is higher, good bonus, higher title, great culture, great bosses and just being able to know I am capable of breathing again.

Cons

Long hard core hours,the weekends, public holidays, spoiled almighty bosses who think they know it all, screaming bosses who can't scream enough for the day, bosses who don't acknowledge your presence, and bosses who don't even know the basic etiquette to greet their staff in the morning. Colleagues/bosses you work with are generally nasty only disguised by their fake smiles,forcefully imposed onto their faces, backstabbing to screw over each other, mud slugging fest, so I stepped to the sideline just to watch. Don't have time for that pettiness/game. Those who hang in there are pitifully for the money(low pay though) and bonus(fairly good but one can get better at other PE firms like where I am now) but be ready to have your blood drained by a forever corporate vampire. Like PE motto, BX will suck the life out of employees like their business takeovers. Extremely high turnover, people leaving or crossing over to other departments and bosses are surprised by it(shows how dense they are). Low morale, frustration, favoritism, and playing politics. Not really worth my life and time to do my best because it's never acknowledged. BX motto "perfection, perfection, perfection" but haven't really noticed the difference between other firms I have worked at versus BX people. People make mistakes/errors and push their works to others. Managers are sub-par quality that they might as well have VP titles. and not MD. A senior compliance offcer who fired a colleague on the spot because she requested(she merely asked if she could) to work from home on Fridays to take care of her child. Shocked that BX has not yet been sued. So I kept it as general as possible about LCD, but if life is precious to you stay away or serve couple years and get the hell out, if you still have a any soul left inside you.

Advice to Management

You need to install a training session for managers to be real worthy managers, not managers who pretend to be the best. Let's get on board with rest of the industry standard and rid those currently existing ones for best class managers. Your name is at stake, BX.

9. "Top shelf"

Pros

Smart professionals. Limited politics and none sense.

Cons

Does once in a while make a bad hire

10. "Associate - M&A"

I worked at The Blackstone Group full-time

Pros

Small deals teams, means you have lots of responsibility

Cons

Important to identify teams you want to work with early on, in order to determine a career track