The Bloc Reviews | Glassdoor

Jennifer Matthews
  1. Amazing place to work

Current Employee - Creative

I have been working at The Bloc full-time for more than a year

Pros

Senior leadership that cares about their employees—both their emotional state as well as their careers. A diverse and intelligent community that works together to produce amazing work—egos are absent and synergy is high. A non-corporate vibe where the hierarchy isn't visible—leaders and their charges work side by side, and everyone learns from everyone.

Cons

No cons. This is my 4th agency in NYC, and I have definitely come home to roost here at the Bloc.

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

2. A great place to grow and learn

I have been working at The Bloc full-time for more than a year

Pros

Everyone here is so friendly and approachable. Not sure what it was like here in years past, but since I’ve been here it’s been an awesome place to work. Everything I’ve worked on here has been interesting & innovative, the creative team here is amazing and management/leadership has been very supportive. I’ve only been at the Bloc for a few short months but the people here make me feel like I’ve been a part of the team...

Cons

I’d prefer bagels on mondays instead of fridays, but it’s hard to complain about free food

Advice to Management

We’re growing. You guys know what you’re doing. Not much advice from my end.

3. Account

I have been working at The Bloc full-time

Pros

The Bloc is truly on the upswing this year! Since starting here earlier this year, I have seen nothing but good things about the agency. I have been given so many hand- on experiences and feel truly supported by my team. The company culture is great as well, and you get a smaller agency feel with the perks and resources of a large agency.

Cons

None that I can think of!

4. Mixed feelings

I worked at The Bloc full-time

Pros

Great open office, people tend to bond well and stay friends even after you leave, interesting structure with how they work with a support office in Asia. Great internship program.

Cons

There needs to be more leadership training. The structure makes sense, but the people filling the roles don't seem to have the experience, especially on the creative side. Company went from a downturn to an upturn on a dime and can not effectively scale resources which means painfully long days and a shortsighted vision of just wining more and more business without taking care of those who have stuck through the bad times....

Advice to Management

Make sure performance reviews are done on time. Have a more structured training and mentorship program. Train your leaders. Be transparent about financial health throughout the year.

I worked at The Bloc full-time for more than a year

Pros

Nice views. A few good people.

Cons

Leadership that pretends to care about their people but doesn’t. Watching them run the company was more like watching a reality show most days rather than running a business. The leaders don’t collaborate with each other - they compete with each other and are oblivious to agency talent. Lots of unnecessary drama that stressed out many employees. Very cliquey. People promoted based on favoritism. Creative leadership that...

Advice to Management

Actually listen to your employees. Try motivating them

Making an Effort

I worked at The Bloc

Pros

Smart caring people and great at branding

Cons

Struggling with marketing and strategy fundamentals

Advice to Management

Focus on the basics and lead with your strengths

• You gotta have faith

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at The Bloc full-time

Pros

This company tries to do the right thing at all times. While there are bumps in the road, some out of our control some not, they course correct and try to get back on track. This company does care about it's people and while it can seem a bit cliquey at times I think that just comes from a small group of people that have worked together for a long time. I believe in this company or I wouldn't be here anymore.

Cons

Sometimes a lot of trust is put into people that don't deliver. It's always figured out and fixed but sometimes takes a bit longer than is ideal.

Advice to Management

Keep your people first. Get back to doing what we do best which is do great work. We're on a great roll let's keep it up!

Long way to go

Former Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY

I worked at The Bloc full-time for more than 2 years

Pros

View of the East River

Cons

Clicky. It’s a work machine with little regard or care for the people who work there. If you leave before 6pm, you feel like everyone is judging you. There is no culture to speak of. The energy is low, the enthusiasm is low. People stay because they earn more than they would at other places. All in all a very depressing environment.

Advice to Management

Attend seminars on how to positively communicate with your staff and let them know how much they are valued

Great benefits, abysmal company culture

Former Employee - Senior Art Director in New York, NY

I worked at The Bloc full-time for more than 2 years

Pros

Unlimited vacation policy, company events, variety of accounts.

Cons

Clicky and negative work environment. Culture of gossip and favoritism that starts from the very top.

Advice to Management

Take a hard look at what kind of vibe you're creating in what's suppose to be a professional working environment.

N/A

I worked at The Bloc full-time

Pros

Good fun culture and a nice office space.

Cons

Not enough support on certain accounts.

Advice to Management

N/A

Found 37 reviews