The Bloc Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated November 15, 2018

2.7
Jennifer Matthews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"A strong leader makes this a great place to work"

I have been working at The Bloc full-time

Pros

They say the tone is set at the top and I couldn't agree more. I can't say enough about the managing partner/president at this agency as she inspires me each and every day. She's not only wicked smart but really down to earth and approachable. I feel like she always has my back and treats me with the utmost professionalism. The same holds true for the extended leadership team. It's nice to be surrounded by such a great group of inspiring people.

Cons

People that are used to working in larger organizations can't hide their flaws at this agency and while most thrive, there is the occasional person that just can't cut it since they're used to hiding in the crowd. Some people just can't handle the more entrepreneur spirit at The Bloc and when they realize they aren't up to par, they tend to come to this site to whine about their own failure by blaming it on others.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

The Bloc Response

Feb 28, 2017 – VP, Director, Human Resources

Thank you! We couldn’t agree more about our Commander in Chief, Ms. Matthews! While we appreciate the sincere words, we are also open to honest and productive feedback from those who may not have had... More

2. "Mixed feelings"

I worked at The Bloc full-time

Pros

Great open office, people tend to bond well and stay friends even after you leave, interesting structure with how they work with a support office in Asia. Great internship program.

Cons

There needs to be more leadership training. The structure makes sense, but the people filling the roles don't seem to have the experience, especially on the creative side. Company went from a downturn to an upturn on a dime and can not effectively scale resources which means painfully long days and a shortsighted vision of just wining more and more business without taking care of those who have stuck through the bad times. I wouldn't recommend this company to juniors who join outside of the internship program as you will get very little, if any, training. People are nice for the most part, but there's a legacy of horror stories with how some people have been treated.

Advice to Management

Make sure performance reviews are done on time. Have a more structured training and mentorship program. Train your leaders. Be transparent about financial health throughout the year.

"Making an Effort"

Pros

Smart caring people and great at branding

Cons

Struggling with marketing and strategy fundamentals

Advice to Management

Focus on the basics and lead with your strengths

4. "You gotta have faith"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at The Bloc full-time

Pros

This company tries to do the right thing at all times. While there are bumps in the road, some out of our control some not, they course correct and try to get back on track. This company does care about it's people and while it can seem a bit cliquey at times I think that just comes from a small group of people that have worked together for a long time. I believe in this company or I wouldn't be here anymore.

Cons

Sometimes a lot of trust is put into people that don't deliver. It's always figured out and fixed but sometimes takes a bit longer than is ideal.

Advice to Management

Keep your people first. Get back to doing what we do best which is do great work. We're on a great roll let's keep it up!

"Long way to go"

Former Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY

I worked at The Bloc full-time (More than a year)

Pros

View of the East River

Cons

Clicky. It’s a work machine with little regard or care for the people who work there. If you leave before 6pm, you feel like everyone is judging you. There is no culture to speak of. The energy is low, the enthusiasm is low. People stay because they earn more than they would at other places. All in all a very depressing environment.

Advice to Management

Attend seminars on how to positively communicate with your staff and let them know how much they are valued

"Great benefits, abysmal company culture"

Former Employee - Senior Art Director in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Art Director in New York, NY

I worked at The Bloc full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Unlimited vacation policy, company events, variety of accounts.

Cons

Clicky and negative work environment. Culture of gossip and favoritism that starts from the very top.

Advice to Management

Take a hard look at what kind of vibe you're creating in what's suppose to be a professional working environment.

"N/A"

I worked at The Bloc full-time

Pros

Good fun culture and a nice office space.

Cons

Not enough support on certain accounts.

Advice to Management

N/A

"beautiful sinking ship"

I worked at The Bloc full-time

Pros

beautiful office, lots of talented people, and a few good managers

Cons

Poor upper management based mostly on personal favoritism, lots of passive aggression, people promoted because they're pals with the bosses, chaotic creative and pitch process. A lot of pretending to care about employees but not really caring. Very clique-y. A sense of desperation pervades every move. Don't be sucked in by the beautiful views. There's a dark side.

Advice to Management

Actually get to know your staff. Really listen to their concerns (don't just pretend to) and address them (don't just nod and walk away). You don't need more fancy management ideas. You need work. Go get it.

"Run, baby, run!"

I worked at The Bloc full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Incredible views, great location! Immaculately clean--cleaning staff were always present during the day and were very helpful and friendly.

Cons

A culture of fear, buck-passing, and blame. Witnessed the owners backbiting each other during team meetings. It was openly discussed and "joked" about that the owners' German Shepherd dog had attacked another employee's little terrier causing it serious injury. Empty offices were labeled "operations" giving the impression of higher agency headcount. Employees who had been there 2+ years did not know the names of their colleagues in IT, Operations, or Finance. There are less than 100 people at this agency, yet no one seemed to know their colleagues outside of their immediate team. This speaks volumes about the culture.

Advice to Management

1. Owners, please leave your marital issues and the dog at the door! 2. Focus on developing great people rather than buying project management systems. 3. Unless you enjoy your current 2+ year streak of losing business, square footage, and talented people, take a look at the common thread and remove the cancer from the vine, because (sadly) everyone sees it but you.

"Former Employee"

I worked at The Bloc full-time

Pros

Great benefits. Good work and life balance.

Cons

Not good quality of work being done.