The Bloc Reviews | Glassdoor

1. "Happy camper"

Current Employee - Account Services
    Current Employee - Account Services

I have been working at The Bloc full-time

Pros

Over the past year The Bloc has upped their bar by adding a dedicated focus on learning. In my experience, people generally get along pretty well I find most of the Bloc's management and leadership team to be empathetic and open to solutions.

Cons

Still coming out of slump from the typical ebbs and flows of and ad agency that experienced some business hiccups. There are probably some people that should move on and take their sorrows with them because it's dragging down those who are around them. They could also benefit from having some more social areas with things like music or books to encourage people to interact more - the empty feeling is due to the open architecture of the space as well as the large cubical area each desk has. It's nice to not be on top of your neighbor, but I think the extra space works against them from a perception factor - considering other reviewers seem to be digging deep for an explanation as to why the feeling of emptiness.

Advice to Management

Keep the engine full and running on the CX vision... it will pay off nicely with both our clients and our talent.

"Making an Effort"

Pros

Smart caring people and great at branding

Cons

Struggling with marketing and strategy fundamentals

Advice to Management

Focus on the basics and lead with your strengths

3. "You gotta have faith"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at The Bloc full-time

Pros

This company tries to do the right thing at all times. While there are bumps in the road, some out of our control some not, they course correct and try to get back on track. This company does care about it's people and while it can seem a bit cliquey at times I think that just comes from a small group of people that have worked together for a long time. I believe in this company or I wouldn't be here anymore.

Cons

Sometimes a lot of trust is put into people that don't deliver. It's always figured out and fixed but sometimes takes a bit longer than is ideal.

Advice to Management

Keep your people first. Get back to doing what we do best which is do great work. We're on a great roll let's keep it up!

"Long way to go"

Former Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY

I worked at The Bloc full-time (More than a year)

Pros

View of the East River

Cons

Clicky. It’s a work machine with little regard or care for the people who work there. If you leave before 6pm, you feel like everyone is judging you. There is no culture to speak of. The energy is low, the enthusiasm is low. People stay because they earn more than they would at other places. All in all a very depressing environment.

Advice to Management

Attend seminars on how to positively communicate with your staff and let them know how much they are valued

"Great benefits, abysmal company culture"

Former Employee - Senior Art Director in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Art Director in New York, NY

I worked at The Bloc full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Unlimited vacation policy, company events, variety of accounts.

Cons

Clicky and negative work environment. Culture of gossip and favoritism that starts from the very top.

Advice to Management

Take a hard look at what kind of vibe you're creating in what's suppose to be a professional working environment.

"N/A"

I worked at The Bloc full-time

Pros

Good fun culture and a nice office space.

Cons

Not enough support on certain accounts.

Advice to Management

N/A

7. "Rebuilding"

I have been working at The Bloc full-time

Pros

Anyone that has been at The Bloc for more than 2 years knows that what we've been experiencing the past 2 yrs is unique. Those of us that stayed, did so because we know The Bloc deep down and we are committed to being a part of the rebuild.

There's a lot of talented people with the right attitude. Hierarchy and political plays don't work here. The President of the company has an open door policy and you can share ideas without fear of it being squashed one level above you.

If you are solutions oriented, highly collaborative and accountable to both a team and yourself, you will fit in quite nicely.

And yes, the views are definitely worth the stay. But so are the core people.

Cons

Sometimes things get worse before they get better. The Bloc definitely has some areas to improve in like any company. Gaining traction out of a rough patch sometimes spins you in the wrong direction momentarily and I think we've lost some good talent because of this. I am personally hopeful that we have a solid core of smart and dedicated staff to lead us in the right direction. I also think that some people have promoted into leadership roles prematurely and the bar for strong business acumen has been jeopardized, especially with the recent exits of more experienced partners.

The past two years have been rough because of agreements with particular clients that have had impacts rippling throughout the company. There's challenging leadership on this business and the way some things have gone down definitely has created some high emotions from staff that has left. Not that it is unfounded, I do think that some reviewers have just not had a good experience because of it and when you aren't happy with something, you start to pick every little aspect apart.

Advice to Management

Continue on the path of mindfulness and make sure you are all on the same page - - all the time. Change comes from the top down - both positive and negative. Be the change you want to see.

Consider getting your leaders out of the office and into the industry - build a stronger presence because The Bloc does have a history of fostering amazing talent and we need to get back to that!

"beautiful sinking ship"

I worked at The Bloc full-time

Pros

beautiful office, lots of talented people, and a few good managers

Cons

Poor upper management based mostly on personal favoritism, lots of passive aggression, people promoted because they're pals with the bosses, chaotic creative and pitch process. A lot of pretending to care about employees but not really caring. Very clique-y. A sense of desperation pervades every move. Don't be sucked in by the beautiful views. There's a dark side.

Advice to Management

Actually get to know your staff. Really listen to their concerns (don't just pretend to) and address them (don't just nod and walk away). You don't need more fancy management ideas. You need work. Go get it.

"Run, baby, run!"

I worked at The Bloc full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Incredible views, great location! Immaculately clean--cleaning staff were always present during the day and were very helpful and friendly.

Cons

A culture of fear, buck-passing, and blame. Witnessed the owners backbiting each other during team meetings. It was openly discussed and "joked" about that the owners' German Shepherd dog had attacked another employee's little terrier causing it serious injury. Empty offices were labeled "operations" giving the impression of higher agency headcount. Employees who had been there 2+ years did not know the names of their colleagues in IT, Operations, or Finance. There are less than 100 people at this agency, yet no one seemed to know their colleagues outside of their immediate team. This speaks volumes about the culture.

Advice to Management

1. Owners, please leave your marital issues and the dog at the door! 2. Focus on developing great people rather than buying project management systems. 3. Unless you enjoy your current 2+ year streak of losing business, square footage, and talented people, take a look at the common thread and remove the cancer from the vine, because (sadly) everyone sees it but you.

"Former Employee"

I worked at The Bloc full-time

Pros

Great benefits. Good work and life balance.

Cons

Not good quality of work being done.