The Blue Book Network® (Contractors Register) Account Manager Reviews | Glassdoor

The Blue Book Network® (Contractors Register) Account Manager Reviews

Account Manager

2.8
Rich Johnson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • In the wintertime, if the weather is bad (snow, sleet, freezing rain) we'll get a two-hour delay, or we'll be able to work from home (in 9 reviews)

• We all strive to provide our customers with Great Customer Service (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Management is into micro management (in 23 reviews)

• Won't get anywhere unless you are related to the upper management that runs the company (in 21 reviews)

"Business Development Consultant"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Tampa, FL

I worked at The Blue Book Network® (Contractors Register) full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people and team are great tom work with, and really good benefits. Not an easy job, but if you work hard a good return.

Cons

My regional manager was great but corp sometimes makes you feel it is never enough.

Advice to Management

appreciate your sales team, and look for new tools,

"HEARTLESS COMPANY"

Former Employee - Sales Account Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Account Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at The Blue Book Network® (Contractors Register) (More than 10 years)

Pros

Cannot think of any at the moment

Cons

Let's not sugar coat it here. The only GOOD reviews you all are reading on here are written by an employee of The Blue Book that has been hired to write them.
    This is a micro management position. Your are treated like a child and just a number.
    Last year they called a conference call for 40+ employees to attend. On this call they informed these reps that they were ALL fired. No warning, No action plans, No reason given.
    Some of these employees had been with the Company 20+ years and made the Company a lot of money over the years. Some were multiple President Club winners. Some had excellent Sales numbers. More importantly Some had families they had to support with Zero warning they were being terminated. It was a very sad day for many. In addition they gave pennies to them for a severance and health insurance was canceled at the end of the month. What kind of Company does this? You be the judge. Would you want to work for a Company that did this and is most likely planning on doing this every year? There is No job security.
    It was a Very Heartless Act and this is why I label this review with that regard.

Advice to Management

Upper management... how do you folks sleep at night? Read my review above in the Cons box. It says it all. The Company ran perfectly and profitable before you clowns were brought on board.
    Now it's going down hill and you guys are scrambling to keep it afloat.

The Blue Book Network® (Contractors Register) Response

Jul 14, 2016 – Director of Employee Experience

There are many misconceptions and untruths in the above review.

To clarify, no one has been hired specifically to respond to these reviews. Rather, we are leveraging Glassdoor.com to communicate... More

"Nutella in the break room!"

Former Employee - Account Manager
    Former Employee - Account Manager

I worked at The Blue Book Network® (Contractors Register) full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

It seems to be quite telling that one of the best things someone can say about a company is
    that there is some Nutella in the break room? That about says it all.

Cons

Most of the time there is no Nutella!

Advice to Management

Get someone to lead the company that has management/sale experience, not an accountant.

The Blue Book Network® (Contractors Register) Response

Jun 15, 2016

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. We take wellness very seriously and as part of our comprehensive benefits package and overall wellness program, we provide fruit every Friday to... More

"Run for the hills!"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Washington, DC

Pros

Protected territory, existing account base. Great benefits and an amazing 401k.

Cons

Big layoff and rumors the company is about to be sold!!Management appears to have no idea how to move the company in the right direction. So they are selling out.

Advice to Management

Management team has no real history of success and keeps hiring more Management. Hire real managers that care about the employees.

"The Grass is not Always Greener"

Current Employee - Sales Account Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Account Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at The Blue Book Network® (Contractors Register) full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I agree with the last reviewer. In the 10+ years that I've been a BDC I know at least 15 people that have left to "advance themselves"

Cons

Not being heard. We want to help our Company help our Customers. Listen to those who can! It takes a village!

Advice to Management

Stop expecting things to get better, by focusing on effort. What have we done to improve? Without that all the effort in the world falls short.

"Good Company, Solid Reputation"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Bluebook was a great place to work. I was there for 3 years in California and developed a lot of great relationships with local contractors. The reason I'm posting is because I've seen a lot of misleading reviews here, probably left by guys who weren't good at relationship building. They're not a project lead site, they were a bid messaging service for GC's and property mgrs, if a contractor wants to build relationships, they signed, if they just want project data, they didn't. I found it pretty simple, if you're good at business development, you will find no better place to do so.

Cons

Some regions are not as good as others, the more dense the population the more you make, but all reps are graded on the same scale, which should be reworked.

Advice to Management

Not a perfect company, but name one that is. I still have some really great friends I made there and maintain a lot of those relationships. I met a lot of good people during my time and there is of course money to be made for the right person. If I were in leadership I'd take a look at the compensation variance between, say, a small territory of 150k and a large 700k territory. Both reps work 50 hours a week but the 700k guy makes 5x as much. Overall though they do a great job I had a lot of happy clients. About 80% of clients renew YOY. I only left because my wife got promoted and we moved, and Bluebook had no office in the Dakotas.

"Stop Restructuring and invest in the core of the company"

Current Employee - Sales Account Manager
    Current Employee - Sales Account Manager

Pros

Excellent benefit package. Flexibility in working from home though that usually results in working more hours than any normal job. Fantastic hard-working customer service people and a client base that are good people looking to better their businesses.

Cons

As I've seen in other reviews, the micro-management is to such an extreme that is has caused stress levels in the salespeople that simply aren't healthy. The entire burden of the company seems to rest squarely in the shoulders of the sales force without regard to systems that don't work on a consistent basis. In the many years I have been here it saddens me to see morale at such an all time low.

Advice to Management

Take some advice from sports teams (since upper management likes those analogies), when you trade and fire the players and still things spiral downward, at what point do you look to the coaches, management and owners?

It is great that we have become an employee owned company but it truly feels that the employees have no opinion and are kept in the dark of what I deem as important decisions. For example, how do we have a National Sales Conference (which you only gave the employees just over 2 weeks notice of-very inconsiderate when you know we have families and responsibilities) and spend that kind of money to fly us all out, hotel, food, etc.....? How do you invite all the managers to a Trade Show in Las Vegas where the wining and dining expenses where outlandish? Don't we have a group that could have handled this on a smaller scale and saved money? How much do we pay for the many consultants we have hired? How much did acquiring Proview cost? It is a great acquisition but at what point does this "Employee Owned" company open up its books and share the true story? Lastly, to the HR department who has responded to some of these posts, thank you for taking the time to read them but do you honestly think that anyone would ever call up to the home office and express these valid concerns with you and not have their job in jeopardy? If you ever wonder why we won't call up to you, please just listen in on one of the company webinars where our jobs are threatened and we are repeatedly told that what we are doing isn't good enough.

"Real change needed...in leadership and technology."

Current Employee - Account Manager
    Current Employee - Account Manager

Pros

Flexible schedule, active and used network (despite the flaws) which keep things going, a good immediate manager, excellent 401K, and end of year break. New salaries are a plus and generally still good pay for what we do - good incentives.

Still help our customers be seen in the industry, get work, and be successful. The core premise of the company works in spite of the rest!

Cons

Leadership - hands down they are poor managers, poor leaders, don't know how to motivate people and are focused on the wrong things. Recently - there was the worst CEO led conference call I've ever sat on, and I have worked at both large and small companies and this was pathetic. We need to be a team, focused on working together on improving the company. Just blaming the sales team for every loss is not true leadership. How about doing root cause analysis on why customers are leaving the network and getting the real feedback. How about listening to the sales team and what we've been saying for years?! Where is the vision? where is the 5-10 year plant? The CEO should not be focused on a proview picture for success. And for the record, I am not a disgruntled underachiever - I actually exceeded quota etc.

With better leadership and attitudes, we'd be working together as a team. That end of year call: pointed fingers, blamed all on sales, deflected responsibility, threatened the entire sales force, was DE-MOTIVATING, and presented arbitrary numbers the sales team had not heard at the beginning of 2014 when expectations were set. That is NOT a way to move on to success or launch a successful 2015. We all realize it was a rough year overall compared to 2013.

The leadership also seems to want to ignore R&I - just focus on new. All the new people right out of training have sold new business. They are being hailed as heroes - but what about the millions of $ in R&I that actually support the company. They are the true backbone and keeping them happy is more difficult each year as products have failed us. Yes we agree that new sales are always needed and critical but so are the millions of existing customers. If we retained more - and helped them be more successful we'd have grown in 2014. Let's focus on that for more than a glossed-over, passed-over moment.

Products need innovation and improvement.

Advice to Management

The leaders (CEO, National Sales Manager, etc.) really need to take some management training. Being passionate about the company and business are great qualities, but you also need to know how to manage and motivate your people. You also need to learn to surround yourself with the right people to be successful. We hear there are a lot of consultants helping the business. But either they are too afraid to tell you the truth or you are not listening to them. Get better consultants to help the leadership be better.

If you want sales to be more successful try:
    1. Motivate us with positive attitudes not blame and threats. Management by fear went out with the 80s. You really need to improve morale and threatening letters and micro-management are not the way to do it.
    2. Please make the products work. The technology is antiquated and hopefully the new purchased and changes will help solve this. Recognize that has a huge impact on customers and our success.
    3. Get a real accounting department. Most companies have accounts receivables and a team to work that. Asking the sales team to spend time chasing collections and credit card expiration dates is insane. In our market the collections problem has grown year over year and takes up more time than ever before. This directly impacts sales.
    4. Micro-management is out-of-control and that is not the way to improve results or morale.
    5. Keep the $$ incentives real. the 2014 comp plan was not achievable for most people so fixing that would be great.

I still think the company can be successful - not just by the 'numbers' but also to be a great place to work, feel like a team working to the same goals. After the recent end of year call - it came across as sales against the rest of the company, we are the let-down. The entire company needs to band together and move in the same direction together for true growth and success. I'd like to see the leadership bring that to the company instead of the miserable, fearful, threatening environment they have now created. That might work for new sales people but your really good successful seasoned sales professionals won't stick around long in that environment.

"This is not the place to work"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

There are no pros to work at the The Blue Book . It use to be a great place to work

Cons

YOU CAN SUM IT UP ON ONE WORD MICRO MANAGEMENT AT ITS FINEST. UPPER MANAGEMENT HAS NO CLUE WHAT IS GOING ON IN THE CONSTRUCTION INDUSTRY. THEY NEED TO SELL AT ONCE

Advice to Management

SELL THE COMPANY THE CEO HAS NO CLUE

"Great Company to work for!"

Current Employee - Sales Account Manager in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Account Manager in Tampa, FL

I have been working at The Blue Book Network® (Contractors Register) full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The 101 year old company has done a great job in transitioning from a book to online presence. Always coming out with tools for the entire industry. The company is run it like a family business with perks and benefits of a huge company. If you are not making money than the it is on you, it is your own franchise. can make 100 K with the company.

Cons

The company is not saturated with middle management so there is not a lot of different opportunities to move in.

Advice to Management

Keep looking for more opportunities, help sales out with collections, setting appointments, ect.