The Blue Book Network® (Contractors Register) Account Manager Reviews | Glassdoor

The Blue Book Network® (Contractors Register) Account Manager Reviews

Account Manager

2.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Rich Johnson

Pros
  • In the wintertime, if the weather is bad (snow, sleet, freezing rain) we'll get a two-hour delay, or we'll be able to work from home (in 8 reviews)

• Some really great co-workers but all the good ones have left or been forced out by now (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Management is into micro management (in 22 reviews)

• It took a long time before upper management responded to any review (in 19 reviews)

"Business Development Consultant"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Tampa, FL

I worked at The Blue Book Network® (Contractors Register) full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people and team are great tom work with, and really good benefits. Not an easy job, but if you work hard a good return.

Cons

My regional manager was great but corp sometimes makes you feel it is never enough.

Advice to Management

appreciate your sales team, and look for new tools,

"HEARTLESS COMPANY"

Former Employee - Sales Account Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Account Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at The Blue Book Network® (Contractors Register) (More than 10 years)

Pros

Cannot think of any at the moment

Cons

Let's not sugar coat it here. The only GOOD reviews you all are reading on here are written by an employee of The Blue Book that has been hired to write them.
    This is a micro management position. Your are treated like a child and just a number.
    Last year they called a conference call for 40+ employees to attend. On this call they informed these reps that they were ALL fired. No warning, No action plans, No reason given.
    Some of these employees had been with the Company 20+ years and made the Company a lot of money over the years. Some were multiple President Club winners. Some had excellent Sales numbers. More importantly Some had families they had to support with Zero warning they were being terminated. It was a very sad day for many. In addition they gave pennies to them for a severance and health insurance was canceled at the end of the month. What kind of Company does this? You be the judge. Would you want to work for a Company that did this and is most likely planning on doing this every year? There is No job security.
    It was a Very Heartless Act and this is why I label this review with that regard.

Advice to Management

Upper management... how do you folks sleep at night? Read my review above in the Cons box. It says it all. The Company ran perfectly and profitable before you clowns were brought on board.
    Now it's going down hill and you guys are scrambling to keep it afloat.

The Blue Book Network® (Contractors Register) Response

Jul 14, 2016 – Director of Employee Experience

There are many misconceptions and untruths in the above review. To clarify, no one has been hired specifically to respond to these reviews. Rather, we are leveraging Glassdoor.com to communicate ... More

"Run for the hills!"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Washington, DC

Pros

Protected territory, existing account base. Great benefits and an amazing 401k.

Cons

Big layoff and rumors the company is about to be sold!!Management appears to have no idea how to move the company in the right direction. So they are selling out.

Advice to Management

Management team has no real history of success and keeps hiring more Management. Hire real managers that care about the employees.

"The Grass is not Always Greener"

Current Employee - Sales Account Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Account Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at The Blue Book Network® (Contractors Register) full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I agree with the last reviewer. In the 10+ years that I've been a BDC I know at least 15 people that have left to "advance themselves"

Cons

Not being heard. We want to help our Company help our Customers. Listen to those who can! It takes a village!

Advice to Management

Stop expecting things to get better, by focusing on effort. What have we done to improve? Without that all the effort in the world falls short.

"Good Company, Solid Reputation"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Bluebook was a great place to work. I was there for 3 years in California and developed a lot of great relationships with local contractors. The reason I'm posting is because I've seen a lot of misleading reviews here, probably left by guys who weren't good at relationship building. They're not a project lead site, they were a bid messaging service for GC's and property mgrs, if a contractor wants to build relationships, they signed, if they just want project data, they didn't. I found it pretty simple, if you're good at business development, you will find no better place to do so.

Cons

Some regions are not as good as others, the more dense the population the more you make, but all reps are graded on the same scale, which should be reworked.

Advice to Management

Not a perfect company, but name one that is. I still have some really great friends I made there and maintain a lot of those relationships. I met a lot of good people during my time and there is of course money to be made for the right person. If I were in leadership I'd take a look at the compensation variance between, say, a small territory of 150k and a large 700k territory. Both reps work 50 hours a week but the 700k guy makes 5x as much. Overall though they do a great job I had a lot of happy clients. About 80% of clients renew YOY. I only left because my wife got promoted and we moved, and Bluebook had no office in the Dakotas.

"This is not the place to work"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

There are no pros to work at the The Blue Book . It use to be a great place to work

Cons

YOU CAN SUM IT UP ON ONE WORD MICRO MANAGEMENT AT ITS FINEST. UPPER MANAGEMENT HAS NO CLUE WHAT IS GOING ON IN THE CONSTRUCTION INDUSTRY. THEY NEED TO SELL AT ONCE

Advice to Management

SELL THE COMPANY THE CEO HAS NO CLUE

"Great Company to work for!"

Current Employee - Sales Account Manager in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Account Manager in Tampa, FL

I have been working at The Blue Book Network® (Contractors Register) full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The 101 year old company has done a great job in transitioning from a book to online presence. Always coming out with tools for the entire industry. The company is run it like a family business with perks and benefits of a huge company. If you are not making money than the it is on you, it is your own franchise. can make 100 K with the company.

Cons

The company is not saturated with middle management so there is not a lot of different opportunities to move in.

Advice to Management

Keep looking for more opportunities, help sales out with collections, setting appointments, ect.

9. "Great Company"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Denver, CO

Pros

Flexability, pay and challenge. Fun and educational

Cons

The manager I had was very sketchy and did some very unethical things

Advice to Management

Discipline managers for bad behaviour, like altering contracts with financial data

"This is one of America's best kept secrets. Was there 7 years and resigned when I decided to buy a travel franchise."

Former Employee - Sales Account Manager in Pompano Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Account Manager in Pompano Beach, FL

I worked at The Blue Book Network® (Contractors Register) full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Company is employee owned...almost everyone there (about 400 employees) has been there over 10 years, with many over 20 & 30. They hire sharp people with a kind touch. Company training is thorough and they have their priorities in the right place: products, customer service and employees. Great Company.

Cons

Please consider this a genuine response, but, I truly do not have any.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing!

"This Company Is Passionate about Purpose"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Atlanta, GA

Pros

The Blue Book is a great place to work for many reasons. One that stands out is that it is a sound company with a solid foundation. Much like the anatomy of a building's construction, this solid foundation has stood the test of time. 100 years later and still standing!! This strength helps me in knowing that I am working for a company that is secure in all aspects of execution such as being financially sound, having a proven record in diversifying and adapting to new challenges, a strong internal and external support team, and a laundry list of so many different ways to be rewarded monetarily.

Each level of leadership has a keen sense of what is needed and what it takes to press on, motivate their segment, or simply stay focused on the tasks at hand. The fact that this leadership is open to creative ideas and objective reasoning only strengthens my position.

Another reason is that this company is passionate about purpose. Working for a company that has a clearly defined purpose and the ability to carry it out has enabled me to transfer that purpose to my clients. I have witnessed their hardships and triumps, successes and defeats. Through it all, I have felt that The Blue Book and its People overwhelmingly supports and understands that our customers are owed (for their investment) the resources and abilities to overcome whatever the industry or market influence throws at it over the course of time. This feeling of purpose inspires me to listen, learn, teach, inspire and build their business for them as the Blue Book has built mine for me.

There are many other reasons why I like working for The Blue Book. They would include Confidence, Security, Accountability, Self Reliance, Personal Growth, Community Service, Positive Impacts on Economic Growth (for me, my customers and the region)... or how about the fact that I have been given the opportunity to create and maintain a marketplace for buyers and sellers to communicate, conduct business and establish vital business relationships? Pretty impressive company if you ask me!

Cons

Maybe more vacation time, but 4 weeks is decent enough!

Advice to Management

Thanks for the support!!