The Blue Book Network® (Contractors Register) Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.5
Rich Johnson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • In the wintertime, if the weather is bad (snow, sleet, freezing rain) we'll get a two-hour delay, or we'll be able to work from home (in 8 reviews)

• great benefits that can't compare to any other company (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Management is into micro management (in 22 reviews)

• It took a long time before upper management responded to any review (in 19 reviews)

"Current Employee-True Review, I have never done anything like this before"

Current Employee - RBDM in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - RBDM in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at The Blue Book Network® (Contractors Register) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits and pay, supportive management, everyone is really nice and does the best they can. Management trying to do whatever they can to take the company to the next level. Really treat you like family and stuck by me through thick and thin. I don't regret a thing.

Cons

This is really the first time I came across this site and actually read it I was looking for something else. I appreciate all opinions as an american. But everyone is trying hard to take us to the next level. Go find another six figure job with the best benefits in the country. MH and RJ are investing and doing everything they can and it's working. Easy to complain harder to compliment I say. No raise in it for me for an anonymous review. Let's just be positive and pray for God's glory to shine on this company and these wonderful people.

Advice to Management

Just keep on doing what you are doing the numbers speak for themselves year over year for the past 12 months.

Jun 7, 2017 – Senior Specialist, Social Media

Thank you for your 5-star review! We’re so glad to hear you’ve had a positive experience as an employee-owner of our organization. Your support for our mission, our goals, and our management team... More

2. "Great Company Rare These Days"

Current Employee - Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Awesome company that has survived over 100 years. Uniqueness in the marketplace connecting all construction professionals through marketing assets and feet on the street consultants.

Cons

none. This company cares about what they do. They work tirelessly to do it better than everyone else. they treat their customers and employee/owners very very well.

Advice to Management

Ignore all the crybaby reviews from people who want their cake and eat it too and have no clue what it takes to run their own business. The order taking days were over and those employees rode their easy job for so long they became irrelevant and couldn't keep up. Keep innovating and listening to and trusting and rewarding your employees and we are going to explode in growth.

Jun 7, 2017 – Senior Specialist, Social Media

Thank you for giving a 5-star review! We appreciate that you recognize our commitment to serving the construction industry as well as providing an exceptional employment experience for our... More

"Not worth it."

Current Employee - Business Development Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Business Development Consultant in New York, NY

Pros

Benefits, Stock, 401K, that's about it.

Cons

Clueless management running it into the ground.

Advice to Management

Learn how to forecast your business. You can't grow by the pace you want to grow after shrinking the sales staff and putting more job expectations on them. Wake up, your company depends on it. Stop changing the commission structure, doing so causes people to feel as though you aren't looking out for them, only the company. When we interviewed with you, we are still the same people, doing the same job as promised. When you change everything about the job from when we started, it makes us feel like you haven't kept your end of the bargain. Employment is like a marriage, you can't have one party trying and giving while the other continues to take, take, take.

Nov 29, 2016

Like any sales organization, it is imperative that we continue to try new things in order to maximize our growth each year. Some work well, while others are less effective. Our annual "Cost of Sales... More

"We challenge you to publicly admit where you have failed this company !"

Former Employee - Micromanaged Sales Professional in Midway, PA
    Former Employee - Micromanaged Sales Professional in Midway, PA

I worked at The Blue Book Network® (Contractors Register) full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

That all the real reviews are consistent. Anything above 2 stars is created by management, and once again think all the employees are to stupid to figure out what you are doing.

Cons

That every rebuttal is a canned "we are sorry to hear, we are sorry you feel.." And ZERO accountability that you've (dare say) even made a mistake!

Advice to Management

Admitting you have a problem is the first step..you've got a long road to recovery

Nov 7, 2016

We would like to reassure you and all Glassdoor readers that none of the recent reviews posted here are fake or contrived. Our company has gone through and will continue to go through many changes... More

"Honest Review"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

For the first 100 years it was a great company with no layoffs even through the Great Depression and 2 World Wars is what the marketing video says on YouTube... Great food and booze with lavish meetings where you can run up a huge bill at an expensive hotel. I never drank and ate so much! Some really great co-workers but all the good ones have left or been forced out by now. I am happy for all the ones that got away.

Cons

You will be given unrealistic goals and told that you must meet them. Your managers will teach you to click boxes so that they can appear to upper management to be doing their job. You will be forced to learn to lie. They want you to sell it to everybody - it does not work for everybody. As a professional, you can sell a program and it simply does not deliver for the customer - that is tough... You will run into these customers in your community. Then the worthless ESOP came through and it really went down hill from there. It is not a retirement plan and you will find you are not an "owner"

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. All the good employees will go before the ESOP fully vests and you can put a couple extra bucks in your pockets on the backs of once devoted employees and their families. Turn and burn as many young construction industry "Professionals" as you can. Pretend like you are running a strong company. Keep it going until you can cash out. Nobody remembers great companies like Kodak and Block Buster anyway. Have fun with it!

Sep 16, 2016

It certainly saddens us that any employee would feel this way and not try to address their concerns with our Employee Experience Team (HR) or their manager. As mentioned, in our over 100-year... More

"To Respond to Blue Book Rebuttal About Mass Layoffs"

Former Employee - Business Development Consultant in Jefferson Valley, NY
    Former Employee - Business Development Consultant in Jefferson Valley, NY

I worked at The Blue Book Network® (Contractors Register) (More than 3 years)

Pros

None at this point, only that I got out when I did. The separation was a true shock to the system, but I am much better now for it! I was not a corporate employee, but will not let on what region I am in.

Cons

To respond that the layoffs were due to performance....I am sorry, but as one of the dozens very coldly let go that day, I can tell you there was no warning leading up to this event last November. I have 6 new business sales in the 2 weeks leading up to the layoffs. In fact, out of the 200 plus salespeople in the company, on your own ranking system, I was in the top 1/3 of the company for that quarter.

Generous severance package?? Seriously?? I spoke to the outplacement counselor once only to find that I knew way more about job searching and resume's than she did. The $5000 severance pay was a slap to the face. You terminate dozens of employees right before the holidays, and give them barely enough to cover 1 month expenses. My children and spouse thank you for destroying our holidays!!!!!

But, as I said in the pros, thank god I got out when I did. How many changes to the pay structure this year, 3? The years I spent with Blue Book were wasted years.

Advice to Management

Get a grip! You have no clue how to run an organization like The Blue Book, that is, unless you are working to run it into the ground. The CEO and upper management are untouchable and know it, hence the treatment of employees.

The bogus remarks made by their internal team are laughable. What a nightmare!

Sep 1, 2016

We are thankful you took the time to share your thoughts. It gives us an opportunity to further clarify the first reduction in force this company has experienced in over one hundred years. Difficult... More

"You are not an employee, you are FAMILY - Great place to work!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jefferson Valley, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jefferson Valley, NY

I worked at The Blue Book Network® (Contractors Register) (More than a year)

Pros

As a former employee of The Blue Book, I have to say my experience with the company was the best I've had in my professional career. The Blue Book gives you the opportunity to grow, personally and professionally. I was given the tools and education I need to be where I am today, because of The Blue Book. I cannot speak enough about the true care the company shows its employees. From being flexible with schedules, days off, career paths and providing a great work environment, I can say that my time there was one I will always remember. Since The Blue Book I have had opportunities in multiple industries that I have secured positions with as a consultant and been offered multiple positions. My knowledge in my field grew the most with The Blue Book and again I cannot say enough I would not be where I am without The Blue Book. Even as I resigned, managers and executives were happy to see me taking on new challenges because I gained the ability to do so at The Blue Book. You always have a support system with co-workers and upper management. They will not let you fail if you do not want to. I cannot say enough about my experience at The Blue Book and would recommend taking an opportunity with the company if given the chance to do so. My personal favorite perk of the company was half day Fridays in the summer. Being able to leave at 1 PM on a Friday in the summer was great. And because we as employees were all so close we often organized outings where we came together to just have fun. If you want to work and succeed and grow as a professional, I strongly recommend this company. Though it may have over 500 employees, you never feel like just another employee.

Cons

I would say to looking to start at The Blue Book to be aggressive with their salary negotiations. But again, the opportunity for yearly bonuses, and raises is always there. A hard worker will always be recognized so I cannot fully say this is a con.

Advice to Management

Work close with one another. Operate as a unit not individuals.

Jul 13, 2016

Thank you for taking the time to review our company. We are glad you had such a positive experience working here and appreciate your words and recommendations. From Rich (our President) on down... More

"Get on board now, the best is yet to come!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jefferson Valley, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jefferson Valley, NY

I have been working at The Blue Book Network® (Contractors Register) (More than 10 years)

Pros

I've had a few different jobs over the years with The Blue Book and with each new responsibility came the drive to help make our products greater and greater. I've been afforded education in my field when needed, flexibility with my hours when needed and I get work with the best people on earth. Our company benefits, hands-down, are far superior to the benefits of people I know working for other companies. The company tries its best to make their employees happy, but at the end of the day, this is a business. Times change and when they do, the management of our company has got to make decisions that might not work for everyone. I think the choices that have been made most recently have been for the best. The days of just showing up for work are over. Work hard to contribute to the success of YOUR company!

Cons

I only have one con, losing benefits upon retirement. I wish that would change before it comes my time to go.

Advice to Management

There are so many products to offer our customers I sometimes wonder if they are aware of everything that could be afforded to them in the short time they have with the salespeople.

Jul 13, 2016

Thank you very much for sharing your thoughts. We are also thankful for your long-time service and loyalty to The Blue Book Network. You recognize some of the challenges we face in moving forward and... More

"So many fake reviews. It's a sinking ship"

Former Employee - Project Reporter in Jefferson Valley, NY
    Former Employee - Project Reporter in Jefferson Valley, NY

I worked at The Blue Book Network® (Contractors Register) full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Closes for winter, remote work, leave early Friday's in summer, benefits, 401K, good job for a slacker with no real ambition

Cons

Pay, glass ceiling, location, favoritism, too many couples working together, inconsistencies all across the board, ridiculous you need to be a college graduate because a 10 year old could do these jobs

Advice to Management

Stop adding fake reviews. They look fake. You'll see lots of fake people here. It's like a school almost. Some great miss for sure but most are cut throat and don't realize they will never get anywhere working here. Very low glass ceilings here. This job is easy to get trapped in and leaving is hard too. It doesn't give you any real valuable skills.

Aug 5, 2016

We at The Blue Book Network have always taken pride in our reputation of integrity and we assure you, and everyone visiting our Glassdoor page, that we are neither promoting nor writing ‘fake... More

10. "Corporate Campus Employee"

Current Employee - Employee Owner- Corporate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Employee Owner- Corporate in New York, NY

I have been working at The Blue Book Network® (Contractors Register) full-time

Pros

Work Environment for work-life balance is second to none. The organization takes well thought out planning to create a work-environment that provides employees to think creatively and share ideas within a team concept. All corporate employees work to support the outside sales team, along with full support of product users of information services, active customer-members of the network, and engaging prospective new members to learn about solutions to help develop new relationships and grow business.

Employee Owned since 2012 coupled with incredible benefits programs creates a wonderful bundle

Career Advancement Opportunities- Yes- Internal or External

Cons

Prior reviews creates an ill-informed overall assessment of an organization with great tradition, roots, and a progressive management approach that has supported the industry for over 100 years. Those who have worked for other organizations, will earn a strong understanding when researching the BBN that 100+ years of success is driven by strong management, vision, strategic planning and great employees.

Advice to Management

Continue to stretch to impact the industry with strong products and solutions to grow membership.

Jul 13, 2016

We couldn’t agree more! As our industry and the corporate world itself continue to change, we will do our best to adapt and change with it. Thank you very much for your loyal service and for taking... More