The Blue Book Network® (Contractors Register) Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated February 6, 2017

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Rich Johnson

Pros
  • In the wintertime, if the weather is bad (snow, sleet, freezing rain) we'll get a two-hour delay, or we'll be able to work from home (in 8 reviews)

• Great support from Customer Service (in 12 reviews)

"Not worth it."

Current Employee - Business Development Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Business Development Consultant in New York, NY

Pros

Benefits, Stock, 401K, that's about it.

Cons

Clueless management running it into the ground.

Advice to Management

Learn how to forecast your business. You can't grow by the pace you want to grow after shrinking the sales staff and putting more job expectations on them. Wake up, your company depends on it. Stop changing the commission structure, doing so causes people to feel as though you aren't looking out for them, only the company. When we interviewed with you, we are still the same people, doing the same job as promised. When you change everything about the job from when we started, it makes us feel like you haven't kept your end of the bargain. Employment is like a marriage, you can't have one party trying and giving while the other continues to take, take, take.

Nov 29, 2016

Like any sales organization, it is imperative that we continue to try new things in order to maximize our growth each year. Some work well, while others are less effective. Our annual "Cost of Sales ... More

"We challenge you to publicly admit where you have failed this company !"

Former Employee - Micromanaged Sales Professional in Midway, PA
    Former Employee - Micromanaged Sales Professional in Midway, PA

I worked at The Blue Book Network® (Contractors Register) full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

That all the real reviews are consistent. Anything above 2 stars is created by management, and once again think all the employees are to stupid to figure out what you are doing.

Cons

That every rebuttal is a canned "we are sorry to hear, we are sorry you feel.." And ZERO accountability that you've (dare say) even made a mistake!

Advice to Management

Admitting you have a problem is the first step..you've got a long road to recovery

Nov 7, 2016

We would like to reassure you and all Glassdoor readers that none of the recent reviews posted here are fake or contrived. Our company has gone through and will continue to go through many changes ... More

"Honest Review"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

For the first 100 years it was a great company with no layoffs even through the Great Depression and 2 World Wars is what the marketing video says on YouTube... Great food and booze with lavish meetings where you can run up a huge bill at an expensive hotel. I never drank and ate so much! Some really great co-workers but all the good ones have left or been forced out by now. I am happy for all the ones that got away.

Cons

You will be given unrealistic goals and told that you must meet them. Your managers will teach you to click boxes so that they can appear to upper management to be doing their job. You will be forced to learn to lie. They want you to sell it to everybody - it does not work for everybody. As a professional, you can sell a program and it simply does not deliver for the customer - that is tough... You will run into these customers in your community. Then the worthless ESOP came through and it really went down hill from there. It is not a retirement plan and you will find you are not an "owner"

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. All the good employees will go before the ESOP fully vests and you can put a couple extra bucks in your pockets on the backs of once devoted employees and their families. Turn and burn as many young construction industry "Professionals" as you can. Pretend like you are running a strong company. Keep it going until you can cash out. Nobody remembers great companies like Kodak and Block Buster anyway. Have fun with it!

Sep 16, 2016

It certainly saddens us that any employee would feel this way and not try to address their concerns with our Employee Experience Team (HR) or their manager. As mentioned, in our over 100-year ... More

"To Respond to Blue Book Rebuttal About Mass Layoffs"

Former Employee - Business Development Consultant in Jefferson Valley, NY
    Former Employee - Business Development Consultant in Jefferson Valley, NY

I worked at The Blue Book Network® (Contractors Register) (More than 3 years)

Pros

None at this point, only that I got out when I did. The separation was a true shock to the system, but I am much better now for it! I was not a corporate employee, but will not let on what region I am in.

Cons

To respond that the layoffs were due to performance....I am sorry, but as one of the dozens very coldly let go that day, I can tell you there was no warning leading up to this event last November. I have 6 new business sales in the 2 weeks leading up to the layoffs. In fact, out of the 200 plus salespeople in the company, on your own ranking system, I was in the top 1/3 of the company for that quarter.

Generous severance package?? Seriously?? I spoke to the outplacement counselor once only to find that I knew way more about job searching and resume's than she did. The $5000 severance pay was a slap to the face. You terminate dozens of employees right before the holidays, and give them barely enough to cover 1 month expenses. My children and spouse thank you for destroying our holidays!!!!!

But, as I said in the pros, thank god I got out when I did. How many changes to the pay structure this year, 3? The years I spent with Blue Book were wasted years.

Advice to Management

Get a grip! You have no clue how to run an organization like The Blue Book, that is, unless you are working to run it into the ground. The CEO and upper management are untouchable and know it, hence the treatment of employees.

The bogus remarks made by their internal team are laughable. What a nightmare!

Sep 1, 2016

We are thankful you took the time to share your thoughts. It gives us an opportunity to further clarify the first reduction in force this company has experienced in over one hundred years. Difficult ... More

"So many fake reviews. It's a sinking ship"

Former Employee - Project Reporter in Jefferson Valley, NY
    Former Employee - Project Reporter in Jefferson Valley, NY

I worked at The Blue Book Network® (Contractors Register) full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Closes for winter, remote work, leave early Friday's in summer, benefits, 401K, good job for a slacker with no real ambition

Cons

Pay, glass ceiling, location, favoritism, too many couples working together, inconsistencies all across the board, ridiculous you need to be a college graduate because a 10 year old could do these jobs

Advice to Management

Stop adding fake reviews. They look fake. You'll see lots of fake people here. It's like a school almost. Some great miss for sure but most are cut throat and don't realize they will never get anywhere working here. Very low glass ceilings here. This job is easy to get trapped in and leaving is hard too. It doesn't give you any real valuable skills.

Aug 5, 2016

We at The Blue Book Network have always taken pride in our reputation of integrity and we assure you, and everyone visiting our Glassdoor page, that we are neither promoting nor writing ‘fake ... More

"HEARTLESS COMPANY"

Former Employee - Sales Account Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Account Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at The Blue Book Network® (Contractors Register) (More than 10 years)

Pros

Cannot think of any at the moment

Cons

Let's not sugar coat it here. The only GOOD reviews you all are reading on here are written by an employee of The Blue Book that has been hired to write them.
    This is a micro management position. Your are treated like a child and just a number.
    Last year they called a conference call for 40+ employees to attend. On this call they informed these reps that they were ALL fired. No warning, No action plans, No reason given.
    Some of these employees had been with the Company 20+ years and made the Company a lot of money over the years. Some were multiple President Club winners. Some had excellent Sales numbers. More importantly Some had families they had to support with Zero warning they were being terminated. It was a very sad day for many. In addition they gave pennies to them for a severance and health insurance was canceled at the end of the month. What kind of Company does this? You be the judge. Would you want to work for a Company that did this and is most likely planning on doing this every year? There is No job security.
    It was a Very Heartless Act and this is why I label this review with that regard.

Advice to Management

Upper management... how do you folks sleep at night? Read my review above in the Cons box. It says it all. The Company ran perfectly and profitable before you clowns were brought on board.
    Now it's going down hill and you guys are scrambling to keep it afloat.

Jul 14, 2016 – Director of Employee Experience

There are many misconceptions and untruths in the above review. To clarify, no one has been hired specifically to respond to these reviews. Rather, we are leveraging Glassdoor.com to communicate ... More

"Horrible executive team=Horrible company"

Former Employee - Technical in Jefferson Valley, NY
    Former Employee - Technical in Jefferson Valley, NY

Pros

Now that I have a good job I can't think of anything good about The Blue Book. Nice people outside of the executive wing.

Cons

Micro management, nepotism, inexperienced executives, RJ and MG run the place without any accountability, crapoly technology, buggy products, 1950's management style.

Advice to Management

Executives need to get some training. Get rid of the Steering Committee who have no authority nor ability to hold RJ & MG accountable. Look and learn from leading companies who know how to delegate, manage and lead.
    Think about why so many Directors left in 2015 - those who knew you best all thought "Management" didn't have a clue.

Jun 15, 2016

We appreciate any and all feedback and recognize that it gives us a chance to address misconceptions and concerns, as well as examine areas for improvement. The Blue Book Network Steering Committee ... More

"bdc"

Current Employee - Business Development Consultant in Fort Collins, CO
    Current Employee - Business Development Consultant in Fort Collins, CO

I have been working at The Blue Book Network® (Contractors Register) (More than 10 years)

Pros

matching 401k and good health benefit

Cons

going down fast and you never know when you'll be next to be FIRED -- and not for non preformance

Advice to Management

where is rich

Mar 24, 2016

We’re sorry to hear that you currently have a negative outlook toward our company. We do appreciate your feedback and would like to assure you that we are making decisions based on performance and ... More

"Everyone is a disgruntled employee? Really!"

Current Employee - BDC in New York, NY
    Current Employee - BDC in New York, NY

Pros

It's a shame that the overall theme for this company's Pros are "401" and "Benefits"
    Not, that it's a positive work environment, or that there's true growth potential or any of the normal positives that a so called "Google of construction" should have. They will have to go public and get the dinosaurs running the company out of there before that happens. Nice dream though.

Cons

Rich Johnson and his peanut gallery have duped that poor old man out of his company and are just waiting for him to put the other foot in the grave. The sad part is the poor old guy has no idea of how they've ruined his family's company and legacy. I ditto all previous sentiments, except the by the koolaid drinking manager. However, I was willing to continue playing in the band until the ship went down but now they've decided that i shouldn't be properly compensated for all the broadway tap dancing I do on a daily basis in selling their suite of under performing products that they simply launch with no logistical thought process at all. Their motto is, hey sounds good, let's launch it tomorrow, who needs testing and research. They don't solicit input from the people who actually interact with the industry on a daily basis. Oh and when it crashes and burns, you guessed it, the sales consultants didn't do their jobs, it's all their fault. Rich Johnson set up on that stage in Atlanta at our Annual Sales Conference and told us that every product they've launched has failed miserably, but in the same breath had the audacity to have everyone shout at the top of their lungs that we are "Stronger than ever" I'm sorry but the last time I checked, consistent failure means "Dumber than ever" It all stems from managers who sold in the 70's and 80's and have never worked anywhere else and are clueless of today's sales and business climate. They send out emails promoting an employment referral incentive. Ha! I wouldn't recommend my worst enemy to this company. I just couldn't do that to anyone and sleep at night. The sad part is this company has the potential to be that "Google of construction" but until they listen to their employees and get their egos out of the way, chances of that happening are slim to none.

Advice to Management

Cash out and retire. You had a good run in the old days but let some fresh new blood take the wheel now. I know you see the iceberg, don't let all of us go down with you as a result of your massive egos and pride. Stop being selfish and think of the lives and families your're hurting. You'll be ok with your stock options and whatever else you've lined up for yourselves. I know I'm speaking for the majority of the company, PLEASE LEAVE! It's not personal, it's business.

Apr 11, 2016

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. We hope to help all of our employee-owners accept and understand our direction and invite all to communicate any concerns or constructive ideas ... More

"Sounding desperate"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jefferson Valley, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jefferson Valley, NY

I have been working at The Blue Book Network® (Contractors Register) full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The people. 401k. If you fail at your job or leave and come back you will automatically be put into a supervisor role.

Cons

I just had to write a review after I read the last one about becoming millionaires by working for Blue Book. Anyone that has EVER worked here knows that you will NEVER be wealthy. It is actually the complete opposite. You will barely be able to pay your bills. They push the ESOP but once you are close to being fully vested they will find a way to show you the door. So that money is put back into the senior management teams pockets. So in the last review about senior management being the hardest working in the industry. They are 100% correct. Hardest working to line their own pockets and not share that with ANYBODY. They have lost the backbone of the company and are left with all college kids who they pay dirt. Bigger than Google or LinkedIn??? Not a chance. Well put Mr. Editor but that was just too much of a fairy tale for anyone to believe. If you are going to lie about your nest egg please make it realistic. There are a tiny handful of people who make money and that is where it ends. Why aren't people banging down your door to get a job. Maybe because the truth has been shared with the world.

Advice to Management

Please resign. We are begging you to give the company to people who actually love it and will keep it going for another 100 years. Look at the stats. You have driven it into the ground. Time is running out. Please step down before it's too late.

Mar 9, 2016

Thank you. We appreciate your feedback on our 401(k) and are happy to hear you consider the people you work with “Pros.” We do too. We’re very sorry to hear that you doubt whether Senior ... More