The Blue Book Network® (Contractors Register) Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated November 21, 2017

1.0
Rich Johnson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • In the wintertime, if the weather is bad (snow, sleet, freezing rain) we'll get a two-hour delay, or we'll be able to work from home (in 9 reviews)

• We all strive to provide our customers with Great Customer Service (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Management is into micro management (in 23 reviews)

• Won't get anywhere unless you are related to the upper management that runs the company (in 21 reviews)

"Toxic"

I worked at The Blue Book Network® (Contractors Register) full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

None anymore. Used to be a great company but it has been ruined and is dying a slow death.

Cons

Nothing good about the company or the people who run the show.

Advice to Management

Doesn't matter... they don't care.

Dec 6, 2017

We are sorry that you feel the way you do and understand not everyone can adapt to the transitions that have occurred here as we adapt to our changing needs and an evolving industry. While there are... More

""Sales""

I worked at The Blue Book Network® (Contractors Register) full-time

Pros

vacation time and benefits package

Cons

Micro-management, Company culture, Upper management does not know how treat it's employees, constantly changes direction when the wind blows and sells the entire company on how it is the next great thing, and it. is. always. sales. fault to name just a few. They have driven so many good, hard working people out the door that they should be ashamed of themselves.

Advice to Management

#1 Everyone knows you are a sales organization. Most importantly the sales professionals know. Stop blaming them for everything!
    #2 Stop talking about culture. The culture is fear and is not the "family" culture that you say it is or that it once was.
    #3 learn how to say thank you! Trips are great but a simple acknowledgement goes a very long way.
    #4 Stop being a hypocrite and hold yourselves as accountable as you do your sales people. OWN your own actions.

Why bother suggesting more?

It is clear that they will never make a change in upper management that is desperately needed as proven by poor decision after poor decision.

Sep 22, 2017

We are sorry to hear that you don’t feel you are appreciated. We try to highlight and recognize the successes of our sales people in our new weekly updates, shared company-wide. We do believe in the... More

"1 Star is generous..."

I worked at The Blue Book Network® (Contractors Register) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The food and travel.

Cons

Everything else besides the food and travel. I never in my life have met an HR Team so inept and ridiculous. I wonder if the person writing back to these reviews truly believes the ridiculous bs that he or she is writing? Please let me know. When you have to put out fire after fire and your turnover rate is through the roof, not to mention your managers should be terminated immediately for harassing their team members and customers, you got problems. Wake up - your company is a sinking ship. Your training folks - ridiculous, incompetent and make fun of people standing right in front of them. They taught me how to lie and force people into contracts - then didn't help me maintain the customers. I did not feel like a part of a family, I felt like I was in the middle of a panzi scheme. You should really reconsider your life choices.

Advice to Management

close your doors.

Feb 10, 2017

Thank you for taking the time to share your honest review with us.

We’re sorry you feel the way that you do, and we assure you that your experience with our HR team and training program was not... More

"Not worth it."

Current Employee - Business Development Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Business Development Consultant in New York, NY

Pros

Benefits, Stock, 401K, that's about it.

Cons

Clueless management running it into the ground.

Advice to Management

Learn how to forecast your business. You can't grow by the pace you want to grow after shrinking the sales staff and putting more job expectations on them. Wake up, your company depends on it. Stop changing the commission structure, doing so causes people to feel as though you aren't looking out for them, only the company. When we interviewed with you, we are still the same people, doing the same job as promised. When you change everything about the job from when we started, it makes us feel like you haven't kept your end of the bargain. Employment is like a marriage, you can't have one party trying and giving while the other continues to take, take, take.

Nov 29, 2016

Like any sales organization, it is imperative that we continue to try new things in order to maximize our growth each year. Some work well, while others are less effective. Our annual "Cost of... More

"We challenge you to publicly admit where you have failed this company !"

Former Employee - Micromanaged Sales Professional in Midway, PA
    Former Employee - Micromanaged Sales Professional in Midway, PA

Pros

That all the real reviews are consistent. Anything above 2 stars is created by management, and once again think all the employees are to stupid to figure out what you are doing.

Cons

That every rebuttal is a canned "we are sorry to hear, we are sorry you feel.." And ZERO accountability that you've (dare say) even made a mistake!

Advice to Management

Admitting you have a problem is the first step..you've got a long road to recovery

Nov 7, 2016

We would like to reassure you and all Glassdoor readers that none of the recent reviews posted here are fake or contrived. Our company has gone through and will continue to go through many changes... More

"Honest Review"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

For the first 100 years it was a great company with no layoffs even through the Great Depression and 2 World Wars is what the marketing video says on YouTube... Great food and booze with lavish meetings where you can run up a huge bill at an expensive hotel. I never drank and ate so much! Some really great co-workers but all the good ones have left or been forced out by now. I am happy for all the ones that got away.

Cons

You will be given unrealistic goals and told that you must meet them. Your managers will teach you to click boxes so that they can appear to upper management to be doing their job. You will be forced to learn to lie. They want you to sell it to everybody - it does not work for everybody. As a professional, you can sell a program and it simply does not deliver for the customer - that is tough... You will run into these customers in your community. Then the worthless ESOP came through and it really went down hill from there. It is not a retirement plan and you will find you are not an "owner"

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. All the good employees will go before the ESOP fully vests and you can put a couple extra bucks in your pockets on the backs of once devoted employees and their families. Turn and burn as many young construction industry "Professionals" as you can. Pretend like you are running a strong company. Keep it going until you can cash out. Nobody remembers great companies like Kodak and Block Buster anyway. Have fun with it!

Sep 16, 2016

It certainly saddens us that any employee would feel this way and not try to address their concerns with our Employee Experience Team (HR) or their manager.
    As mentioned, in our over 100-year... More

"To Respond to Blue Book Rebuttal About Mass Layoffs"

Former Employee - Business Development Consultant in Jefferson Valley, NY
    Former Employee - Business Development Consultant in Jefferson Valley, NY

I worked at The Blue Book Network® (Contractors Register) (More than 3 years)

Pros

None at this point, only that I got out when I did. The separation was a true shock to the system, but I am much better now for it! I was not a corporate employee, but will not let on what region I am in.

Cons

To respond that the layoffs were due to performance....I am sorry, but as one of the dozens very coldly let go that day, I can tell you there was no warning leading up to this event last November. I have 6 new business sales in the 2 weeks leading up to the layoffs. In fact, out of the 200 plus salespeople in the company, on your own ranking system, I was in the top 1/3 of the company for that quarter.

Generous severance package?? Seriously?? I spoke to the outplacement counselor once only to find that I knew way more about job searching and resume's than she did. The $5000 severance pay was a slap to the face. You terminate dozens of employees right before the holidays, and give them barely enough to cover 1 month expenses. My children and spouse thank you for destroying our holidays!!!!!

But, as I said in the pros, thank god I got out when I did. How many changes to the pay structure this year, 3? The years I spent with Blue Book were wasted years.

Advice to Management

Get a grip! You have no clue how to run an organization like The Blue Book, that is, unless you are working to run it into the ground. The CEO and upper management are untouchable and know it, hence the treatment of employees.

The bogus remarks made by their internal team are laughable. What a nightmare!

Sep 1, 2016

We are thankful you took the time to share your thoughts. It gives us an opportunity to further clarify the first reduction in force this company has experienced in over one hundred years.
    Difficult... More

"So many fake reviews. It's a sinking ship"

Former Employee - Project Reporter in Jefferson Valley, NY
    Former Employee - Project Reporter in Jefferson Valley, NY

I worked at The Blue Book Network® (Contractors Register) full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Closes for winter, remote work, leave early Friday's in summer, benefits, 401K, good job for a slacker with no real ambition

Cons

Pay, glass ceiling, location, favoritism, too many couples working together, inconsistencies all across the board, ridiculous you need to be a college graduate because a 10 year old could do these jobs

Advice to Management

Stop adding fake reviews. They look fake. You'll see lots of fake people here. It's like a school almost. Some great miss for sure but most are cut throat and don't realize they will never get anywhere working here. Very low glass ceilings here. This job is easy to get trapped in and leaving is hard too. It doesn't give you any real valuable skills.

Aug 5, 2016

We at The Blue Book Network have always taken pride in our reputation of integrity and we assure you, and everyone visiting our Glassdoor page, that we are neither promoting nor writing ‘fake... More

"HEARTLESS COMPANY"

Former Employee - Sales Account Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Account Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at The Blue Book Network® (Contractors Register) (More than 10 years)

Pros

Cannot think of any at the moment

Cons

Let's not sugar coat it here. The only GOOD reviews you all are reading on here are written by an employee of The Blue Book that has been hired to write them.
    This is a micro management position. Your are treated like a child and just a number.
    Last year they called a conference call for 40+ employees to attend. On this call they informed these reps that they were ALL fired. No warning, No action plans, No reason given.
    Some of these employees had been with the Company 20+ years and made the Company a lot of money over the years. Some were multiple President Club winners. Some had excellent Sales numbers. More importantly Some had families they had to support with Zero warning they were being terminated. It was a very sad day for many. In addition they gave pennies to them for a severance and health insurance was canceled at the end of the month. What kind of Company does this? You be the judge. Would you want to work for a Company that did this and is most likely planning on doing this every year? There is No job security.
    It was a Very Heartless Act and this is why I label this review with that regard.

Advice to Management

Upper management... how do you folks sleep at night? Read my review above in the Cons box. It says it all. The Company ran perfectly and profitable before you clowns were brought on board.
    Now it's going down hill and you guys are scrambling to keep it afloat.

Jul 14, 2016 – Director of Employee Experience

There are many misconceptions and untruths in the above review.

To clarify, no one has been hired specifically to respond to these reviews. Rather, we are leveraging Glassdoor.com to communicate... More

"I worked for The Bluebook for many years. This is the worst run organizations"

Former Employee - Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Sales Representative

Pros

Regional sales managers are incompetent, and full of empty promises. Company needs to FIRE them today!

Cons

Job is easy, I was very successful. Again our regional sales managers demoralized all the reps.

Advice to Management

All of the upper management needs to turn in their resignation papers and quit. They have ruined this strong and prosperous company.

Aug 5, 2016

We encourage all employees to contact our Employee Experience team (HR) in any instances of perceived bullying or misrepresentation from management. We can only help if we are made aware of these... More