The Blue Book Network® (Contractors Register) Reviews | Glassdoor

The Blue Book Network® (Contractors Register) Reviews

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Rich Johnson

Pros
  • In the wintertime, if the weather is bad (snow, sleet, freezing rain) we'll get a two-hour delay, or we'll be able to work from home (in 8 reviews)

• Great support from Customer Service (in 12 reviews)

"BDC"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Strongsville, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Strongsville, OH

I worked at The Blue Book Network® (Contractors Register) full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good place to work. Like any sales job with production comes flexibility. Exceptional benefits.

Cons

Forecasts can be a little unrealistic so you're behind all year (not motivating) then finish in the top 25%.

The Blue Book Network® (Contractors Register) Response

Mar 16, 2016

Thank you for taking the time to share your review. We hear a lot of positive feedback on our benefits and will continue to offer best in class options for our employees. We appreciate your ... More

"Do your job"

Pros

Great place to work. Everyone is friendly. I can really see the company is making the proper changes for the future. Just do your work!

Cons

There isn't enough vacation time. Unused vacation time should be rolled into the next year

Advice to Management

Trust in your younger employees. The company has a lot of talent. Start letting everyone think outside of the box and profits will go through the roof.

"The Good and Bad"

Former Employee - Sales Executive
    Former Employee - Sales Executive

I worked at The Blue Book Network® (Contractors Register) full-time

Pros

Great place to make big bucks and work with great people in construction. Terrific training from some of the best people in charge of training.

Cons

Some of the managers need help in managing sales pros and keeping them motivated. That's why they have such a high turnover in the sales organization. Not much of a n opportunity to move into management. They seem to hire from the outside

Advice to Management

Hire better managers and keep them motivated. My manager wanted me to treat every one of my customers as a 'cash register ringing'.

"Real change needed...in leadership and technology."

Current Employee - Account Manager
    Current Employee - Account Manager

Pros

Flexible schedule, active and used network (despite the flaws) which keep things going, a good immediate manager, excellent 401K, and end of year break. New salaries are a plus and generally still good pay for what we do - good incentives.

Still help our customers be seen in the industry, get work, and be successful. The core premise of the company works in spite of the rest!

Cons

Leadership - hands down they are poor managers, poor leaders, don't know how to motivate people and are focused on the wrong things. Recently - there was the worst CEO led conference call I've ever sat on, and I have worked at both large and small companies and this was pathetic. We need to be a team, focused on working together on improving the company. Just blaming the sales team for every loss is not true leadership. How about doing root cause analysis on why customers are leaving the network and getting the real feedback. How about listening to the sales team and what we've been saying for years?! Where is the vision? where is the 5-10 year plant? The CEO should not be focused on a proview picture for success. And for the record, I am not a disgruntled underachiever - I actually exceeded quota etc.

With better leadership and attitudes, we'd be working together as a team. That end of year call: pointed fingers, blamed all on sales, deflected responsibility, threatened the entire sales force, was DE-MOTIVATING, and presented arbitrary numbers the sales team had not heard at the beginning of 2014 when expectations were set. That is NOT a way to move on to success or launch a successful 2015. We all realize it was a rough year overall compared to 2013.

The leadership also seems to want to ignore R&I - just focus on new. All the new people right out of training have sold new business. They are being hailed as heroes - but what about the millions of $ in R&I that actually support the company. They are the true backbone and keeping them happy is more difficult each year as products have failed us. Yes we agree that new sales are always needed and critical but so are the millions of existing customers. If we retained more - and helped them be more successful we'd have grown in 2014. Let's focus on that for more than a glossed-over, passed-over moment.

Products need innovation and improvement.

Advice to Management

The leaders (CEO, National Sales Manager, etc.) really need to take some management training. Being passionate about the company and business are great qualities, but you also need to know how to manage and motivate your people. You also need to learn to surround yourself with the right people to be successful. We hear there are a lot of consultants helping the business. But either they are too afraid to tell you the truth or you are not listening to them. Get better consultants to help the leadership be better.

If you want sales to be more successful try:
    1. Motivate us with positive attitudes not blame and threats. Management by fear went out with the 80s. You really need to improve morale and threatening letters and micro-management are not the way to do it.
    2. Please make the products work. The technology is antiquated and hopefully the new purchased and changes will help solve this. Recognize that has a huge impact on customers and our success.
    3. Get a real accounting department. Most companies have accounts receivables and a team to work that. Asking the sales team to spend time chasing collections and credit card expiration dates is insane. In our market the collections problem has grown year over year and takes up more time than ever before. This directly impacts sales.
    4. Micro-management is out-of-control and that is not the way to improve results or morale.
    5. Keep the $$ incentives real. the 2014 comp plan was not achievable for most people so fixing that would be great.

I still think the company can be successful - not just by the 'numbers' but also to be a great place to work, feel like a team working to the same goals. After the recent end of year call - it came across as sales against the rest of the company, we are the let-down. The entire company needs to band together and move in the same direction together for true growth and success. I'd like to see the leadership bring that to the company instead of the miserable, fearful, threatening environment they have now created. That might work for new sales people but your really good successful seasoned sales professionals won't stick around long in that environment.

6. "Don't Plan on Advancement if You Are Over 40"

Current Employee - Cubicle Bound Clerical in Jefferson Valley, NY
    Current Employee - Cubicle Bound Clerical in Jefferson Valley, NY

I have been working at The Blue Book Network® (Contractors Register) full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The Benefits and Half-Day Fridays in summer

Cons

LOW pay, no chances for advancement unless you are a computer geek in their 20's or have a family connection to management.

Advice to Management

Train Your Managers and Supervisors! They are sorely lacking in interpersonal skills and were promoted out of loyalty and long time on the job, but then are not given any training in team building or communication. As long as things run smoothly, they are not at all monitored. They evaluate us, but we cannot ever evaluate them.....They are threatened by any feedback at all and only promote people they can easily control (i.e. right out of college with huge loans to pay). They play favorites, only speaking to some, give gifts to others in front of everyone else on birthdays.
    There hasn't been a dept. meeting in 3 years-only "memos" or emails and if you ask for clarification they treat it as akin to treason or make you feel stupid for asking.....
    Every review for 7 years I have asked to be moved to a position that suits my skill set better. Every year I am told it will happen, but never does. The review is NEVER about the employee, and NEVER positive- even when you are the ONLY ONE not shopping online, taking extra breaks and hour long lunches- What happens in Management Meetings? It doesn't appear to be training?
     I am older and watch the young'uns come in, do a crappy job for 6 months and then transfer out......what happened to advancing people who know the products, do their jobs faithfully, and have "tenure"? No such thing anymore -we have gone from valued long time employees to just trying to stick it out to retirement. If you don't feel valued by your company, given no incentives or positive feedback, it's no longer a joy to come to work. I am of the generation that has a great work ethic, great education behind them and I would like to be valued as a hard worker. Why is that so hard?
    While it will be nice to have a fat ESOP to use in retirement, I struggle everyday to come to work.......

"Grateful to be employed but not sure if the Pro's or Con's are greater."

Current Employee - Sales Account Manager
    Current Employee - Sales Account Manager

I have been working at The Blue Book Network® (Contractors Register) full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

ESOP, 401K, benefit package, 100 Years Industry Experience, largest commercial construction database available, remote work environment, no downsizing during economic down turn.

Cons

Micro-management, very low salaries, 8 days vacation annually (besides holiday break that is not chosen by reps, but management considers it "vacation"), products launched before ready, too many time consuming, non-revenue activities.

Advice to Management

Do not micromanage & ask for sales agendas to be filled from 8-5 or so daily. It just promotes dishonesty to keep jobs. Also, salaries & vacation should be partially predicated on longevity, not fixed for sales reps indefinitely. In the current economy many incomes have diminished when territories lost revenue which means we are making less than in the past & working much harder.

"Working here as been low stress mostly but can best be compared to being back at high school."

Current Employee - Not Sales, HQ in Jefferson Valley, NY
    Current Employee - Not Sales, HQ in Jefferson Valley, NY

I have been working at The Blue Book Network® (Contractors Register) full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits, 401K, ESOP (maybe eventually will actually matter, doesn't seem to whatsoever right now), low stress

Cons

Location, salary is very low, people get away with doing no work and are moved up, while people like me work hard and go nowhere, people are cliquey, like high school.

Advice to Management

Move people up who work hard, not just people who "know someone". Online shopping all day isn't a job. If one of the receptionists can't be friendly, fire her. We are a company, NOT a family.

9. "Good company and benefits. But salaries are not very good"

I have been working at The Blue Book Network® (Contractors Register) full-time

Pros

Very good benefits offered to employees, especially the 401K plan

Cons

Starting to turn into a corporate environment, used to be more family friendly

Advice to Management

It would be nice to have higher salaries.