The Blue Book Network® (Contractors Register) Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated September 21, 2017

5.0
Rich Johnson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • great benefits that can't compare to any other company (in 9 reviews)

• Some really great co-workers but all the good ones have left or been forced out by now (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Management is into micro management (in 23 reviews)

• It took a long time before upper management responded to any review (in 20 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great place to work"

I have been working at The Blue Book Network® (Contractors Register) full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Protected territory, customer support, tools to be effective in the field, on going training provided, thorough CRM system to track progress and history of clients.

Cons

Pay system needs updated to award strong performance by people in the field. Less bonus structure, more salary and commission.

Advice to Management

Keep refining the systems and specifically the pay system for the benefit of everyone in the organization.

Sep 22, 2017

Your feedback is appreciated! Thank you for the positive remarks on our territories, tools, and training. We believe it is vital to arm our sales people with all the information necessary in order to... More

2. "Excellent opportunity for the right sales professional"

I have been working at The Blue Book Network® (Contractors Register) full-time

Pros

On top of the generous benefits and retirement plan, the pay structure reflects your efforts. If you truly want to network and sell you will do well here. From the very top it is clear that there is a passion for The Blue Book and the employees. I am proud to work here.

Cons

It is easy to feel disconnected from your peers in other markets since we are spread all over the US. It would be nice if we met more than once per year. But that is the only "con" I can think of!

Advice to Management

Keep innovating. I love that I work for a company that is forward thinking and technology driven,

"Great Company Rare These Days"

Current Employee - Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at The Blue Book Network® (Contractors Register) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome company that has survived over 100 years. Uniqueness in the marketplace connecting all construction professionals through marketing assets and feet on the street consultants.

Cons

none. This company cares about what they do. They work tirelessly to do it better than everyone else. they treat their customers and employee/owners very very well.

Advice to Management

Ignore all the crybaby reviews from people who want their cake and eat it too and have no clue what it takes to run their own business. The order taking days were over and those employees rode their easy job for so long they became irrelevant and couldn't keep up. Keep innovating and listening to and trusting and rewarding your employees and we are going to explode in growth.

Jun 7, 2017 – Senior Specialist, Social Media

Thank you for giving a 5-star review! We appreciate that you recognize our commitment to serving the construction industry as well as providing an exceptional employment experience for our... More

"Current Employee-True Review, I have never done anything like this before"

Current Employee - RBDM in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - RBDM in Charlotte, NC

Pros

Great benefits and pay, supportive management, everyone is really nice and does the best they can. Management trying to do whatever they can to take the company to the next level. Really treat you like family and stuck by me through thick and thin. I don't regret a thing.

Cons

This is really the first time I came across this site and actually read it I was looking for something else. I appreciate all opinions as an american. But everyone is trying hard to take us to the next level. Go find another six figure job with the best benefits in the country. MH and RJ are investing and doing everything they can and it's working. Easy to complain harder to compliment I say. No raise in it for me for an anonymous review. Let's just be positive and pray for God's glory to shine on this company and these wonderful people.

Advice to Management

Just keep on doing what you are doing the numbers speak for themselves year over year for the past 12 months.

Jun 7, 2017 – Senior Specialist, Social Media

Thank you for your 5-star review! We’re so glad to hear you’ve had a positive experience as an employee-owner of our organization.

Your support for our mission, our goals, and our management team... More

"You are not an employee, you are FAMILY - Great place to work!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jefferson Valley, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jefferson Valley, NY

I worked at The Blue Book Network® (Contractors Register) (More than a year)

Pros

As a former employee of The Blue Book, I have to say my experience with the company was the best I've had in my professional career. The Blue Book gives you the opportunity to grow, personally and professionally. I was given the tools and education I need to be where I am today, because of The Blue Book. I cannot speak enough about the true care the company shows its employees. From being flexible with schedules, days off, career paths and providing a great work environment, I can say that my time there was one I will always remember. Since The Blue Book I have had opportunities in multiple industries that I have secured positions with as a consultant and been offered multiple positions. My knowledge in my field grew the most with The Blue Book and again I cannot say enough I would not be where I am without The Blue Book. Even as I resigned, managers and executives were happy to see me taking on new challenges because I gained the ability to do so at The Blue Book. You always have a support system with co-workers and upper management. They will not let you fail if you do not want to. I cannot say enough about my experience at The Blue Book and would recommend taking an opportunity with the company if given the chance to do so. My personal favorite perk of the company was half day Fridays in the summer. Being able to leave at 1 PM on a Friday in the summer was great. And because we as employees were all so close we often organized outings where we came together to just have fun. If you want to work and succeed and grow as a professional, I strongly recommend this company. Though it may have over 500 employees, you never feel like just another employee.

Cons

I would say to looking to start at The Blue Book to be aggressive with their salary negotiations. But again, the opportunity for yearly bonuses, and raises is always there. A hard worker will always be recognized so I cannot fully say this is a con.

Advice to Management

Work close with one another. Operate as a unit not individuals.

Jul 13, 2016

Thank you for taking the time to review our company. We are glad you had such a positive experience working here and appreciate your words and recommendations. From Rich (our President) on down... More

"Get on board now, the best is yet to come!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jefferson Valley, NY

I have been working at The Blue Book Network® (Contractors Register) (More than 10 years)

Pros

I've had a few different jobs over the years with The Blue Book and with each new responsibility came the drive to help make our products greater and greater. I've been afforded education in my field when needed, flexibility with my hours when needed and I get work with the best people on earth. Our company benefits, hands-down, are far superior to the benefits of people I know working for other companies. The company tries its best to make their employees happy, but at the end of the day, this is a business. Times change and when they do, the management of our company has got to make decisions that might not work for everyone. I think the choices that have been made most recently have been for the best. The days of just showing up for work are over. Work hard to contribute to the success of YOUR company!

Cons

I only have one con, losing benefits upon retirement. I wish that would change before it comes my time to go.

Advice to Management

There are so many products to offer our customers I sometimes wonder if they are aware of everything that could be afforded to them in the short time they have with the salespeople.

Jul 13, 2016

Thank you very much for sharing your thoughts. We are also thankful for your long-time service and loyalty to The Blue Book Network. You recognize some of the challenges we face in moving forward and... More

"Not Just a job"

I have been working at The Blue Book Network® (Contractors Register) full-time

Pros

great benefits that can't compare to any other company. can't beat that! Great people. This is really a family company, we are not just co-workers. People have been here a long time and there is a reason for that. I like working with an innovative company that has a great reputation in our industry because we have been around for so long.

Cons

There are people here that are really trying to bring the company down. it won't work but it is a hassle to deal with.

Advice to Management

Be open to ideas from everyone. Change is good and I recognize the changes you are making and I am really excited for what is to come!

Jul 13, 2016

We appreciate our employees taking the time to post reviews. We couldn’t agree more that there has always been a “family” atmosphere here with talented, dedicated and friendly people that makes The... More

8. "Corporate Campus Employee"

Current Employee - Employee Owner- Corporate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Employee Owner- Corporate in New York, NY

I have been working at The Blue Book Network® (Contractors Register) full-time

Pros

Work Environment for work-life balance is second to none. The organization takes well thought out planning to create a work-environment that provides employees to think creatively and share ideas within a team concept. All corporate employees work to support the outside sales team, along with full support of product users of information services, active customer-members of the network, and engaging prospective new members to learn about solutions to help develop new relationships and grow business.

Employee Owned since 2012 coupled with incredible benefits programs creates a wonderful bundle

Career Advancement Opportunities- Yes- Internal or External

Cons

Prior reviews creates an ill-informed overall assessment of an organization with great tradition, roots, and a progressive management approach that has supported the industry for over 100 years. Those who have worked for other organizations, will earn a strong understanding when researching the BBN that 100+ years of success is driven by strong management, vision, strategic planning and great employees.

Advice to Management

Continue to stretch to impact the industry with strong products and solutions to grow membership.

Jul 13, 2016

We couldn’t agree more! As our industry and the corporate world itself continue to change, we will do our best to adapt and change with it. Thank you very much for your loyal service and for taking... More

"Company is changing for the better"

Pros

Change is good! Location - I don't have to commute into the city. Benefits are great - ESOP, 401k, summer Fridays, competitive medical/dental plan costs. Made a number of good friends here. I can see a lot of growth potential here for anyone that performs and meets their goals & objectives.

Cons

Sometimes it's really hard to move the needle in the right direction because of push back you get from the executives or even just other departments. Communication within the company isn't always the strongest, but various people/depts. are working on improving that.

Advice to Management

Keep heading in the direction of change. There will always be growing pains with change, but keep on going in the right direction. Trust middle management to execute and be open to ideas that aren't your own - there are many great ideas out there, just waiting to be acted on!

Apr 25, 2016

Thank you for your review. We agree: change is good, and as the company grows we recognize we need to change and continuously improve the way we communicate as an organization.

We are hosting... More

"A fantastic place to work!"

I have been working at The Blue Book Network® (Contractors Register) full-time

Pros

The Blue Book Network is a fantastic place to work. In addition to the incredible benefits (which are better than anywhere else I've seen) and 401(k) match (dollar for dollar up to 5%), The Blue Book Network provides a wonderful working environment.

Our headquarters is on a beautiful campus that's kept in great condition, and it's in a convenient location so my commute is short and stress-free.

Every Friday we get to dress down, and usually there's some fresh fruit (and nutella!) to enjoy in the lunch rooms. From Memorial Day to Labor Day, we have Summer Fridays every Friday which means the office closes at 1:00pm, giving us a nice long weekend.

In the wintertime, if the weather is bad (snow, sleet, freezing rain) we'll get a two-hour delay, or we'll be able to work from home.

The biggest benefit, however, is that the company is an ESOP, which means every employee is a part owner and gets a certain amount of shares in the company. If you stick around for long enough, you get to collect the value of those shares when you eventually leave the company. It's basically like getting a second retirement account just for working here, at zero cost. You never have to pay anything into it, you just get it paid to you when you leave.

With awesome team-building exercises and company-wide activities like SummerFest and our Snowman Building Contest, it's really a lot of fun coming in to work. I've made a lot of new friends from all different areas and backgrounds, and it's great to be collaborating with them on a daily basis.

Aside from the perks and the fun, I feel I've really grown professionally as well. My managers have trusted and enabled me to take on new challenges and improve my existing skill sets as well as form new ones.

My experience here has been fantastic so far, and it seems there's a lot of opportunity for growth.

Cons

Since the company has been around since 1913, it's not uncommon that some people will be a bit set in "the way we've always done things." As we try to drive the company forward, some things are difficult to make changes to, and some people tend to resist those changes. There are some outdated tools/technologies that the company still uses, and I feel this is holding us back from where we could be. These may be typical growing pains, but it makes it difficult to get certain things accomplished.

Also, since we have almost 600 employees across the country, communication can be a challenge. At times there can be a significant disconnect between people or between departments based on a lack of communication, and this can cause a lot of pain. However, I think most everyone is working toward communicating more often and more effectively.

Advice to Management

Keep trying new things, keep testing new ideas, but also keep an open mind and open ears. There's a lot of talent in this company, and listening to the feedback of your employees is crucial to creating a great company culture, keeping an open dialogue, and staying ahead of the curve. Let's keep listening and pushing forward.

Apr 25, 2016

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts. We’re thrilled to hear that you’ve been enjoying your experience as an Employee-Owner, and we’re glad that you recognize and appreciate the positive... More