The Blue Book Network® (Contractors Register) Reviews | Glassdoor

The Blue Book Network® (Contractors Register) Reviews

Updated February 6, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • In the wintertime, if the weather is bad (snow, sleet, freezing rain) we'll get a two-hour delay, or we'll be able to work from home (in 8 reviews)

• Great support from Customer Service (in 12 reviews)

"Not Just a job"

I have been working at The Blue Book Network® (Contractors Register) full-time

Pros

great benefits that can't compare to any other company. can't beat that! Great people. This is really a family company, we are not just co-workers. People have been here a long time and there is a reason for that. I like working with an innovative company that has a great reputation in our industry because we have been around for so long.

Cons

There are people here that are really trying to bring the company down. it won't work but it is a hassle to deal with.

Advice to Management

Be open to ideas from everyone. Change is good and I recognize the changes you are making and I am really excited for what is to come!

Jul 13, 2016

We appreciate our employees taking the time to post reviews. We couldn’t agree more that there has always been a “family” atmosphere here with talented, dedicated and friendly people that makes The ... More

"Responses from Management to the bad reviews"

Current Employee - Business Development Consultant
    Current Employee - Business Development Consultant

I have been working at The Blue Book Network® (Contractors Register) full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Read most of the other reviews since that'll save me time...... I have to get back to doing my Survey Monkey for management, which makes no sense!

Cons

First of all, management is responding to the unfavorable reviews now and drinking the heavy duty Koolaid!! It took a long time before upper management responded to any review. The reviews finally "hit home", many good people started to leave, realizing that there really is competition and BB is not "IT". Now they are back peddling and it's too late for many. Companies do not have their own management on the board of directors or steering committee. By them being on the committees, they are not held accountable (like the rest of the company) even though they are not doing a top notch job!

Get ready for many more people leaving regardless of the comp plan being changed mid year (never heard of a company doing that one either!!) After a while, it's not all about money! At the March Sales Conference you were very proud of employees being here 5 years or "less"....really??!! Are they the ones that helped build this company? You have forgotten about the loyal employees who have been here more than 10 years and "still" working hard! I was really taken aback when RJ asked the 5 yr or less employees raise your hands. You are really proud of that?? Then I was amazed how many there were!

I know things are not "always" greener on the other side, but guess what, I'm gonna find out as soon as I can. The time when management really cared is gone...Mr. O'Malley was the best!! Too bad he doesn't have a clue to what you all have done to one of the best companies!

Advice to Management

I think you have read a lot of "advice to management".....but you are way too late to begin making changes!!

Jul 8, 2016 – President of The Blue Book Network®

Change is difficult and there is no doubt our company is going through a significant change in our products and services in order to continue to enhance the value we bring to our customers each and ... More

"So many fake reviews. It's a sinking ship"

Former Employee - Project Reporter in Jefferson Valley, NY
    Former Employee - Project Reporter in Jefferson Valley, NY

I worked at The Blue Book Network® (Contractors Register) full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Closes for winter, remote work, leave early Friday's in summer, benefits, 401K, good job for a slacker with no real ambition

Cons

Pay, glass ceiling, location, favoritism, too many couples working together, inconsistencies all across the board, ridiculous you need to be a college graduate because a 10 year old could do these jobs

Advice to Management

Stop adding fake reviews. They look fake. You'll see lots of fake people here. It's like a school almost. Some great miss for sure but most are cut throat and don't realize they will never get anywhere working here. Very low glass ceilings here. This job is easy to get trapped in and leaving is hard too. It doesn't give you any real valuable skills.

Aug 5, 2016

We at The Blue Book Network have always taken pride in our reputation of integrity and we assure you, and everyone visiting our Glassdoor page, that we are neither promoting nor writing ‘fake ... More

5. "Corporate Campus Employee"

Current Employee - Employee Owner- Corporate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Employee Owner- Corporate in New York, NY

I have been working at The Blue Book Network® (Contractors Register) full-time

Pros

Work Environment for work-life balance is second to none. The organization takes well thought out planning to create a work-environment that provides employees to think creatively and share ideas within a team concept. All corporate employees work to support the outside sales team, along with full support of product users of information services, active customer-members of the network, and engaging prospective new members to learn about solutions to help develop new relationships and grow business.

Employee Owned since 2012 coupled with incredible benefits programs creates a wonderful bundle

Career Advancement Opportunities- Yes- Internal or External

Cons

Prior reviews creates an ill-informed overall assessment of an organization with great tradition, roots, and a progressive management approach that has supported the industry for over 100 years. Those who have worked for other organizations, will earn a strong understanding when researching the BBN that 100+ years of success is driven by strong management, vision, strategic planning and great employees.

Advice to Management

Continue to stretch to impact the industry with strong products and solutions to grow membership.

Jul 13, 2016

We couldn’t agree more! As our industry and the corporate world itself continue to change, we will do our best to adapt and change with it. Thank you very much for your loyal service and for taking ... More

"I worked for The Bluebook for many years. This is the worst run organizations"

Former Employee - Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Sales Representative

Pros

Regional sales managers are incompetent, and full of empty promises. Company needs to FIRE them today!

Cons

Job is easy, I was very successful. Again our regional sales managers demoralized all the reps.

Advice to Management

All of the upper management needs to turn in their resignation papers and quit. They have ruined this strong and prosperous company.

Aug 5, 2016

We encourage all employees to contact our Employee Experience team (HR) in any instances of perceived bullying or misrepresentation from management. We can only help if we are made aware of these ... More

"HEARTLESS COMPANY"

Former Employee - Sales Account Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Account Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at The Blue Book Network® (Contractors Register) (More than 10 years)

Pros

Cannot think of any at the moment

Cons

Let's not sugar coat it here. The only GOOD reviews you all are reading on here are written by an employee of The Blue Book that has been hired to write them.
    This is a micro management position. Your are treated like a child and just a number.
    Last year they called a conference call for 40+ employees to attend. On this call they informed these reps that they were ALL fired. No warning, No action plans, No reason given.
    Some of these employees had been with the Company 20+ years and made the Company a lot of money over the years. Some were multiple President Club winners. Some had excellent Sales numbers. More importantly Some had families they had to support with Zero warning they were being terminated. It was a very sad day for many. In addition they gave pennies to them for a severance and health insurance was canceled at the end of the month. What kind of Company does this? You be the judge. Would you want to work for a Company that did this and is most likely planning on doing this every year? There is No job security.
    It was a Very Heartless Act and this is why I label this review with that regard.

Advice to Management

Upper management... how do you folks sleep at night? Read my review above in the Cons box. It says it all. The Company ran perfectly and profitable before you clowns were brought on board.
    Now it's going down hill and you guys are scrambling to keep it afloat.

Jul 14, 2016 – Director of Employee Experience

There are many misconceptions and untruths in the above review. To clarify, no one has been hired specifically to respond to these reviews. Rather, we are leveraging Glassdoor.com to communicate ... More

"Nutella in the break room!"

Former Employee - Account Manager
    Former Employee - Account Manager

I worked at The Blue Book Network® (Contractors Register) full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

It seems to be quite telling that one of the best things someone can say about a company is
    that there is some Nutella in the break room? That about says it all.

Cons

Most of the time there is no Nutella!

Advice to Management

Get someone to lead the company that has management/sale experience, not an accountant.

Jun 15, 2016

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. We take wellness very seriously and as part of our comprehensive benefits package and overall wellness program, we provide fruit every Friday to ... More

"Horrible executive team=Horrible company"

Former Employee - Technical in Jefferson Valley, NY
    Former Employee - Technical in Jefferson Valley, NY

Pros

Now that I have a good job I can't think of anything good about The Blue Book. Nice people outside of the executive wing.

Cons

Micro management, nepotism, inexperienced executives, RJ and MG run the place without any accountability, crapoly technology, buggy products, 1950's management style.

Advice to Management

Executives need to get some training. Get rid of the Steering Committee who have no authority nor ability to hold RJ & MG accountable. Look and learn from leading companies who know how to delegate, manage and lead.
    Think about why so many Directors left in 2015 - those who knew you best all thought "Management" didn't have a clue.

Jun 15, 2016

We appreciate any and all feedback and recognize that it gives us a chance to address misconceptions and concerns, as well as examine areas for improvement. The Blue Book Network Steering Committee ... More

"Company is changing for the better"

I have been working at The Blue Book Network® (Contractors Register) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Change is good! Location - I don't have to commute into the city. Benefits are great - ESOP, 401k, summer Fridays, competitive medical/dental plan costs. Made a number of good friends here. I can see a lot of growth potential here for anyone that performs and meets their goals & objectives.

Cons

Sometimes it's really hard to move the needle in the right direction because of push back you get from the executives or even just other departments. Communication within the company isn't always the strongest, but various people/depts. are working on improving that.

Advice to Management

Keep heading in the direction of change. There will always be growing pains with change, but keep on going in the right direction. Trust middle management to execute and be open to ideas that aren't your own - there are many great ideas out there, just waiting to be acted on!

Apr 25, 2016

Thank you for your review. We agree: change is good, and as the company grows we recognize we need to change and continuously improve the way we communicate as an organization. We are hosting ... More

"A fantastic place to work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jefferson Valley, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jefferson Valley, NY

I have been working at The Blue Book Network® (Contractors Register) full-time

Pros

The Blue Book Network is a fantastic place to work. In addition to the incredible benefits (which are better than anywhere else I've seen) and 401(k) match (dollar for dollar up to 5%), The Blue Book Network provides a wonderful working environment.

Our headquarters is on a beautiful campus that's kept in great condition, and it's in a convenient location so my commute is short and stress-free.

Every Friday we get to dress down, and usually there's some fresh fruit (and nutella!) to enjoy in the lunch rooms. From Memorial Day to Labor Day, we have Summer Fridays every Friday which means the office closes at 1:00pm, giving us a nice long weekend.

In the wintertime, if the weather is bad (snow, sleet, freezing rain) we'll get a two-hour delay, or we'll be able to work from home.

The biggest benefit, however, is that the company is an ESOP, which means every employee is a part owner and gets a certain amount of shares in the company. If you stick around for long enough, you get to collect the value of those shares when you eventually leave the company. It's basically like getting a second retirement account just for working here, at zero cost. You never have to pay anything into it, you just get it paid to you when you leave.

With awesome team-building exercises and company-wide activities like SummerFest and our Snowman Building Contest, it's really a lot of fun coming in to work. I've made a lot of new friends from all different areas and backgrounds, and it's great to be collaborating with them on a daily basis.

Aside from the perks and the fun, I feel I've really grown professionally as well. My managers have trusted and enabled me to take on new challenges and improve my existing skill sets as well as form new ones.

My experience here has been fantastic so far, and it seems there's a lot of opportunity for growth.

Cons

Since the company has been around since 1913, it's not uncommon that some people will be a bit set in "the way we've always done things." As we try to drive the company forward, some things are difficult to make changes to, and some people tend to resist those changes. There are some outdated tools/technologies that the company still uses, and I feel this is holding us back from where we could be. These may be typical growing pains, but it makes it difficult to get certain things accomplished.

Also, since we have almost 600 employees across the country, communication can be a challenge. At times there can be a significant disconnect between people or between departments based on a lack of communication, and this can cause a lot of pain. However, I think most everyone is working toward communicating more often and more effectively.

Advice to Management

Keep trying new things, keep testing new ideas, but also keep an open mind and open ears. There's a lot of talent in this company, and listening to the feedback of your employees is crucial to creating a great company culture, keeping an open dialogue, and staying ahead of the curve. Let's keep listening and pushing forward.

Apr 25, 2016

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts. We’re thrilled to hear that you’ve been enjoying your experience as an Employee-Owner, and we’re glad that you recognize and appreciate the positive ... More