The Blue Book Network® (Contractors Register) Reviews | Glassdoor

The Blue Book Network® (Contractors Register) Reviews

Updated May 31, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • In the wintertime, if the weather is bad (snow, sleet, freezing rain) we'll get a two-hour delay, or we'll be able to work from home (in 8 reviews)

• great benefits that can't compare to any other company (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Management is into micro management (in 22 reviews)

• It took a long time before upper management responded to any review (in 19 reviews)

"Sounding desperate"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jefferson Valley, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jefferson Valley, NY

I have been working at The Blue Book Network® (Contractors Register) full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The people. 401k. If you fail at your job or leave and come back you will automatically be put into a supervisor role.

Cons

I just had to write a review after I read the last one about becoming millionaires by working for Blue Book. Anyone that has EVER worked here knows that you will NEVER be wealthy. It is actually the complete opposite. You will barely be able to pay your bills. They push the ESOP but once you are close to being fully vested they will find a way to show you the door. So that money is put back into the senior management teams pockets. So in the last review about senior management being the hardest working in the industry. They are 100% correct. Hardest working to line their own pockets and not share that with ANYBODY. They have lost the backbone of the company and are left with all college kids who they pay dirt. Bigger than Google or LinkedIn??? Not a chance. Well put Mr. Editor but that was just too much of a fairy tale for anyone to believe. If you are going to lie about your nest egg please make it realistic. There are a tiny handful of people who make money and that is where it ends. Why aren't people banging down your door to get a job. Maybe because the truth has been shared with the world.

Advice to Management

Please resign. We are begging you to give the company to people who actually love it and will keep it going for another 100 years. Look at the stats. You have driven it into the ground. Time is running out. Please step down before it's too late.

Mar 9, 2016

Thank you. We appreciate your feedback on our 401(k) and are happy to hear you consider the people you work with “Pros.” We do too. We’re very sorry to hear that you doubt whether Senior... More

"Biggest career move mistake"

Former Employee - Sales in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Sales in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at The Blue Book Network® (Contractors Register) full-time

Pros

Benefits are top notch...esop, 401k, medical, etc...the job itself is putrid so if you'll notice the trend of reviews focusing on benefits, that would be where the pros begin and end. This is key...don't stray from this fact.

Cons

Inconsistent comp plan..never the same from year to year which WILL and does cheat you out of EARNED commissions from one calendar year to the next. The blue book lifers are self described "spin doctors" so if you're smart enough to inquire about this key piece of information I've provided, they'll provide an answer that most certainly will only reflect their interests. Just know, what I've described is what it is and if you care about commissions being paid in full on business you've sold, this is what you're up against.

Worst case of micromanagement you'll ever experience. Every single day, youre under a microscope and it never ends. No long term vision based upon business decisions being made at the top and if there's a strategy geared towards the future of the this company, I'd be shocked. I honestly think the leadership of this company flies by the seat of their pants and has no clue what 2016 looks like vs what 2017 should provide. Simply put, If you're considering a career change and this is your alternative, consider collecting unemployment. Yes, it's that bad in my humble opinion

Advice to Management

Fire each and every one of the yellow page minded dinosaurs that run this company. Empower your employees and understand that every day, week or even month doesn't give you an indication of anything as pertains to business goals over a year's time. The law of averages exists for a reason...understand it, embrace it and employ it before you run off every single one of your employees.

Mar 9, 2016

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. The comp plan change this year was in an effort to help the company transition away from an annual book production schedule and protect the sales... More

"Horrid"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Yorktown, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Yorktown, NY

Pros

401k is good vacation is good half day Friday's in summer. Not much to say it used to be a good place to work

Cons

Nepotism at its best you don't go anywhere unless your related to upper management they are the only ones that never get laid off it's not what you know but who you know management relies on relatives for answers they have no clue of what's going on its a joke. They have daughters working for their fathers in the same department and you have to sit there and watch the nepotism everybody hates it but won't say anything. It's awful.

Advice to Management

They won't listen they promote everything that goes on there. No wonder the place is going downhill

Apr 6, 2016

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We appreciate your honest feedback. We’re sorry to hear that you’ve had an unpleasant experience working at The Blue Book Network. As an... More

"Bad News"

Current Employee - Business Development Consultant in Pottstown, PA
    Current Employee - Business Development Consultant in Pottstown, PA

Pros

A great 401k, awesome co-workers

Cons

There are too many to list, here are a few. Inept & incompetent upper management. Severe micro management. Products that don't work. Unrealistic goals. Massive firings with a churn & burn mentality. A manager getting a promotion that has lost over $325,000 in business over the last 2 years.

Advice to Management

Sell the company, The CEO should resign, come out with products your customers actually like. Make sure the products work. Listen to your employees that actually have relationships with the customers.

"Business Development Consultant"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Tampa, FL

I worked at The Blue Book Network® (Contractors Register) full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people and team are great tom work with, and really good benefits. Not an easy job, but if you work hard a good return.

Cons

My regional manager was great but corp sometimes makes you feel it is never enough.

Advice to Management

appreciate your sales team, and look for new tools,

"Run for the hills!"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Washington, DC

Pros

Protected territory, existing account base. Great benefits and an amazing 401k.

Cons

Big layoff and rumors the company is about to be sold!!Management appears to have no idea how to move the company in the right direction. So they are selling out.

Advice to Management

Management team has no real history of success and keeps hiring more Management. Hire real managers that care about the employees.

"The Grass is not Always Greener"

Current Employee - Sales Account Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Account Manager in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

I agree with the last reviewer. In the 10+ years that I've been a BDC I know at least 15 people that have left to "advance themselves"

Cons

Not being heard. We want to help our Company help our Customers. Listen to those who can! It takes a village!

Advice to Management

Stop expecting things to get better, by focusing on effort. What have we done to improve? Without that all the effort in the world falls short.

"Through the many years overall more positive than negative, but currently not going in right direction."

Current Employee - BDC in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - BDC in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

401K, 3weeks in December off, Benefits, compensation opportunity, co workers.

Cons

Even with anonymous input upper management still isn't getting it. Help those who are newer but you are punishing those who aren't. In a perfect world sharing best practices and urging others on is great but currently it isn't happening and is counter productive. With technology there are many tools to connect, train and motivate that doesn't have to be micro managing or demeaning to professionals.

Advice to Management

Stop drinking your own koolaid please. Just think how many more sales we could have had if using updated successful and new management styles. In sales we are always looking for new and adapting to new ideas. What worked in the 80-90's in an industry with 70-80% turnover might not be the preferred go to management template for today. High turnover is very expensive and stops desired growth. Your high achievers just let your management style go in one ear and out the other. But what if you tried to get it right? Also it might be a good idea to focus on current products and get them with more plans, and other services competition is doing better than rolling out more new products before the bugs are worked out. The Blue Book in spite of the self inflicted problems upper management is creating it still is the best company and product out there. But it has the potential to be the Google for the construction industry if they trust their employees as much as you are asking us to trust you.

"Why wouldn't you want to work for The Blue Book ?"

Current Employee - BDC in New York, NY
    Current Employee - BDC in New York, NY

I have been working at The Blue Book Network® (Contractors Register) full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The Blue Book is a GREAT company to work for. After "giving "the company to the employees, they still continued to match up to 5% of your 401K each year. They increased the based salary this year based on size of territory and offer quarterly bonuses and other incentives to help pay you more for the job you are required to perform.
    Upper management is always receptive to your new ideas and suggestions . It doesn't mean they will do everything you ask , but at least it's a discussion. They are always looking for new ways to help better the product and the customer experience which in turn helps the BDC's. Every department works together to get the job done. There is a lot of internal support as well as external.

Cons

There are too many good products to sell that it's hard to speak about each one in the amount of time you have with a customer.

Advice to Management

Keep creating new enhancements and upgrading our system so we can beat anyone that comes our way

Apr 25, 2016

We’re so thankful that you recognize and appreciate the effort we put into providing best-in-class benefits for our Employee-Owners as well as an open and collaborative environment. Our... More

"Good Company, Solid Reputation"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Bluebook was a great place to work. I was there for 3 years in California and developed a lot of great relationships with local contractors. The reason I'm posting is because I've seen a lot of misleading reviews here, probably left by guys who weren't good at relationship building. They're not a project lead site, they were a bid messaging service for GC's and property mgrs, if a contractor wants to build relationships, they signed, if they just want project data, they didn't. I found it pretty simple, if you're good at business development, you will find no better place to do so.

Cons

Some regions are not as good as others, the more dense the population the more you make, but all reps are graded on the same scale, which should be reworked.

Advice to Management

Not a perfect company, but name one that is. I still have some really great friends I made there and maintain a lot of those relationships. I met a lot of good people during my time and there is of course money to be made for the right person. If I were in leadership I'd take a look at the compensation variance between, say, a small territory of 150k and a large 700k territory. Both reps work 50 hours a week but the 700k guy makes 5x as much. Overall though they do a great job I had a lot of happy clients. About 80% of clients renew YOY. I only left because my wife got promoted and we moved, and Bluebook had no office in the Dakotas.