The Blue Book Network® (Contractors Register) Reviews | Glassdoor

The Blue Book Network® (Contractors Register) Reviews

Updated August 10, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • In the wintertime, if the weather is bad (snow, sleet, freezing rain) we'll get a two-hour delay, or we'll be able to work from home (in 8 reviews)

• great benefits that can't compare to any other company (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Management is into micro management (in 23 reviews)

• It took a long time before upper management responded to any review (in 20 reviews)

"Responses from Management to the bad reviews"

Current Employee - Business Development Consultant
    Current Employee - Business Development Consultant

I have been working at The Blue Book Network® (Contractors Register) full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Read most of the other reviews since that'll save me time...... I have to get back to doing my Survey Monkey for management, which makes no sense!

Cons

First of all, management is responding to the unfavorable reviews now and drinking the heavy duty Koolaid!! It took a long time before upper management responded to any review. The reviews finally "hit home", many good people started to leave, realizing that there really is competition and BB is not "IT". Now they are back peddling and it's too late for many. Companies do not have their own management on the board of directors or steering committee. By them being on the committees, they are not held accountable (like the rest of the company) even though they are not doing a top notch job!

Get ready for many more people leaving regardless of the comp plan being changed mid year (never heard of a company doing that one either!!) After a while, it's not all about money! At the March Sales Conference you were very proud of employees being here 5 years or "less"....really??!! Are they the ones that helped build this company? You have forgotten about the loyal employees who have been here more than 10 years and "still" working hard! I was really taken aback when RJ asked the 5 yr or less employees raise your hands. You are really proud of that?? Then I was amazed how many there were!

I know things are not "always" greener on the other side, but guess what, I'm gonna find out as soon as I can. The time when management really cared is gone...Mr. O'Malley was the best!! Too bad he doesn't have a clue to what you all have done to one of the best companies!

Advice to Management

I think you have read a lot of "advice to management".....but you are way too late to begin making changes!!

Jul 8, 2016 – President of The Blue Book Network®

Change is difficult and there is no doubt our company is going through a significant change in our products and services in order to continue to enhance the value we bring to our customers each and... More

"Nutella in the break room!"

Former Employee - Account Manager
    Former Employee - Account Manager

I worked at The Blue Book Network® (Contractors Register) full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

It seems to be quite telling that one of the best things someone can say about a company is
    that there is some Nutella in the break room? That about says it all.

Cons

Most of the time there is no Nutella!

Advice to Management

Get someone to lead the company that has management/sale experience, not an accountant.

Jun 15, 2016

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. We take wellness very seriously and as part of our comprehensive benefits package and overall wellness program, we provide fruit every Friday to... More

"Horrible executive team=Horrible company"

Former Employee - Technical in Jefferson Valley, NY
    Former Employee - Technical in Jefferson Valley, NY

I worked at The Blue Book Network® (Contractors Register) full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Now that I have a good job I can't think of anything good about The Blue Book. Nice people outside of the executive wing.

Cons

Micro management, nepotism, inexperienced executives, RJ and MG run the place without any accountability, crapoly technology, buggy products, 1950's management style.

Advice to Management

Executives need to get some training. Get rid of the Steering Committee who have no authority nor ability to hold RJ & MG accountable. Look and learn from leading companies who know how to delegate, manage and lead.
    Think about why so many Directors left in 2015 - those who knew you best all thought "Management" didn't have a clue.

Jun 15, 2016

We appreciate any and all feedback and recognize that it gives us a chance to address misconceptions and concerns, as well as examine areas for improvement. The Blue Book Network Steering Committee... More

"Company is going down hill"

I have been working at The Blue Book Network® (Contractors Register) full-time

Pros

Nothing anymore. The company just keeps going downhill.

Cons

Pay used to be great, now you cant make any money with the new comp plan.

Jun 3, 2016

Thank you for sharing your opinion.

We have always aimed to "Do Right" by our loyal and productive employees and that will not change. We are continually evolving, examining and adopting with... More

"A fantastic place to work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jefferson Valley, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jefferson Valley, NY

I have been working at The Blue Book Network® (Contractors Register) full-time

Pros

The Blue Book Network is a fantastic place to work. In addition to the incredible benefits (which are better than anywhere else I've seen) and 401(k) match (dollar for dollar up to 5%), The Blue Book Network provides a wonderful working environment.

Our headquarters is on a beautiful campus that's kept in great condition, and it's in a convenient location so my commute is short and stress-free.

Every Friday we get to dress down, and usually there's some fresh fruit (and nutella!) to enjoy in the lunch rooms. From Memorial Day to Labor Day, we have Summer Fridays every Friday which means the office closes at 1:00pm, giving us a nice long weekend.

In the wintertime, if the weather is bad (snow, sleet, freezing rain) we'll get a two-hour delay, or we'll be able to work from home.

The biggest benefit, however, is that the company is an ESOP, which means every employee is a part owner and gets a certain amount of shares in the company. If you stick around for long enough, you get to collect the value of those shares when you eventually leave the company. It's basically like getting a second retirement account just for working here, at zero cost. You never have to pay anything into it, you just get it paid to you when you leave.

With awesome team-building exercises and company-wide activities like SummerFest and our Snowman Building Contest, it's really a lot of fun coming in to work. I've made a lot of new friends from all different areas and backgrounds, and it's great to be collaborating with them on a daily basis.

Aside from the perks and the fun, I feel I've really grown professionally as well. My managers have trusted and enabled me to take on new challenges and improve my existing skill sets as well as form new ones.

My experience here has been fantastic so far, and it seems there's a lot of opportunity for growth.

Cons

Since the company has been around since 1913, it's not uncommon that some people will be a bit set in "the way we've always done things." As we try to drive the company forward, some things are difficult to make changes to, and some people tend to resist those changes. There are some outdated tools/technologies that the company still uses, and I feel this is holding us back from where we could be. These may be typical growing pains, but it makes it difficult to get certain things accomplished.

Also, since we have almost 600 employees across the country, communication can be a challenge. At times there can be a significant disconnect between people or between departments based on a lack of communication, and this can cause a lot of pain. However, I think most everyone is working toward communicating more often and more effectively.

Advice to Management

Keep trying new things, keep testing new ideas, but also keep an open mind and open ears. There's a lot of talent in this company, and listening to the feedback of your employees is crucial to creating a great company culture, keeping an open dialogue, and staying ahead of the curve. Let's keep listening and pushing forward.

Apr 25, 2016

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts. We’re thrilled to hear that you’ve been enjoying your experience as an Employee-Owner, and we’re glad that you recognize and appreciate the positive... More

"Company is changing for the better"

I have been working at The Blue Book Network® (Contractors Register) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Change is good! Location - I don't have to commute into the city. Benefits are great - ESOP, 401k, summer Fridays, competitive medical/dental plan costs. Made a number of good friends here. I can see a lot of growth potential here for anyone that performs and meets their goals & objectives.

Cons

Sometimes it's really hard to move the needle in the right direction because of push back you get from the executives or even just other departments. Communication within the company isn't always the strongest, but various people/depts. are working on improving that.

Advice to Management

Keep heading in the direction of change. There will always be growing pains with change, but keep on going in the right direction. Trust middle management to execute and be open to ideas that aren't your own - there are many great ideas out there, just waiting to be acted on!

Apr 25, 2016

Thank you for your review. We agree: change is good, and as the company grows we recognize we need to change and continuously improve the way we communicate as an organization.

We are hosting... More

"Business Development Consultant"

Former Employee - Business Development Consultant in Jefferson Valley, NY
    Former Employee - Business Development Consultant in Jefferson Valley, NY

I worked at The Blue Book Network® (Contractors Register) (More than a year)

Pros

I had an amazing manager that inspired, motivated and supported me continuously throughout the roll.

Cons

Upper management is never consistent and continually talks out of both sides of their mouth. Hours are long and the pressure to perform to goal can be arduous.

Advice to Management

Give your sales team more time to sell than create reports that are ineffective and a time-suck.

Apr 6, 2016

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us. We’re glad to hear that you were inspired and motivated by your manager.

We’re constantly adjusting the role of our sales team to ensure maximum... More

"Great company with issues"

Current Employee - Owner in Jefferson Valley, NY
    Current Employee - Owner in Jefferson Valley, NY

I have been working at The Blue Book Network® (Contractors Register) full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

People, products, training, opportunities for advancement, benefits, esop AND 401k with an (generous) employer match, PTO, and on and on and on. Really great benefits and perks.

Cons

Communication is definitely lacking but the company has been trying to do a better job.
    The sense of entitlement that exists.
    The naysayers are the biggest con. If you don't believe or like it, then leave.

Advice to Management

Clean up house! Get rid of the complainers! They are being asked to work and they just don't want to - BOTTOM LINE! It is nonsense and the sense of entitlement these people feel is unrealistic. It is really ruining it for the rest of us smart, hardworking people that actually want to get THINGS DONE and actually appreciate all the things that this company offers. And PS. if you are doing your job and doing it well, you wouldn't be worried about micro management.

Apr 6, 2016

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. Unfortunately, most people tend to share a negative experience and not often the positive.

We're trying to improve communication overall and... More

"bdc"

Current Employee - Business Development Consultant in Fort Collins, CO
    Current Employee - Business Development Consultant in Fort Collins, CO

I have been working at The Blue Book Network® (Contractors Register) (More than 10 years)

Pros

matching 401k and good health benefit

Cons

going down fast and you never know when you'll be next to be FIRED -- and not for non preformance

Advice to Management

where is rich

Mar 24, 2016

We’re sorry to hear that you currently have a negative outlook toward our company. We do appreciate your feedback and would like to assure you that we are making decisions based on performance and... More

"Sad when people are fired and they say it's the best thing to ever happen to them."

I worked at The Blue Book Network® (Contractors Register) full-time

Pros

Working in the commercial and industrial construction industry can be a positive for your career. It allows you to create relationships within the industry so you can find a job after you leave The Blue Book.

Cons

Where do I begin? The fact that management has really started responding to these reviews in the last few weeks and is writing fake, positive reviews about everyone becoming millionaires, says a lot. It shows that the management team is delusional and desperate at this point. That's what happens when people are promised the world (and they leave great paying jobs based on that promise,) only to find out it was all just lies.

The benefits are not great. Compared to my past employers and my new employer, the coverage is horrible and you will pay a large premium for the sub-par coverage.

This is micro-management at it's finest and you are expected to sell products that do not work and have no data to support the "exposure" the customers see. Renewals are said to be 80-90%, which is a complete lie. You will constantly be told to increase customers- yet it's a fight to just keep them with the program they have. I was a top performer in sales before and now again at my new company, so don't dismiss this as a disgruntled employee who couldn't cut it in sales.

Most people stay a year or two and get out. The only ones who stay are the people who have been with the company a long time and don't really have much time left. In the last two years, I have watched this company lose top performers. They eliminated jobs of people that were just at President's Club with no warning and no justification.

Sales is being led by marketing. Sending cheesy email blasts to prospects and customers over and over again is an awful way to try to sell. Continuing to hold networking showcases that have declining attendance isn't working either and now reps are expected to sell those booths and sponsorships? Publishing a magazine and trying to charge for those ads after telling these customers that everything is online now and the book is no longer warranted makes absolutely no sense at all.

Advice to Management

As much as you want to ignore this site, you really should pay attention. Also, a few of my friends that are still there said that the meeting in Atlanta was a complete joke and that the "motivational speaker" was anything BUT motivational. Find a sales guru to lead this company, maybe then you will see true growth and the development of employees.

Mar 24, 2016

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts. It gives us a chance to clarify a few things. We have, in fact, implemented a plan and partnership with... More