The Blue Book Network® (Contractors Register) Reviews | Glassdoor

The Blue Book Network® (Contractors Register) Reviews

Updated May 31, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • In the wintertime, if the weather is bad (snow, sleet, freezing rain) we'll get a two-hour delay, or we'll be able to work from home (in 8 reviews)

• great benefits that can't compare to any other company (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Management is into micro management (in 22 reviews)

• It took a long time before upper management responded to any review (in 19 reviews)

"Account Manager"

Former Employee - Accouont Manager in South Florida, FL
    Former Employee - Accouont Manager in South Florida, FL

Pros

Great people and products. Happy with company and management. No complaints. I was there 7.5 years. Fantastic benes w/matching 401k plus discretionary match.

Cons

Rolling out new products quickly. Could have used a bit more training.

"The FALL of a once great company."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at The Blue Book Network® (Contractors Register) full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

401(k). The only pro,so it is hard to come up with 20 words since the 401(k) is the ONLY one.

Cons

Where do I start ? It is very hard since there are so many. As a former employee ( Over 17 years with multiple President Club awards as well as many other awards ) it is sad to see what has happened to a once great company- but not any more.

Advice to Management

Resign and ask for forgiveness from all current & past employees. Shame on you. Management needs to stop blaming the down fall of the company on sales people & take responsibility.

"The Blue Book's mismansgement"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jefferson Valley, NY

Pros

Benefit package. 401 matching contribution.

Cons

Bad decision making. Poor product release. Not aware of what it is to do the actual work asked of workers in main office. Out sourcing work with poor results. And an atmosphere of cronyism and nepotism by upper management. Salaries well below the norm in our business. And the "let them eat cake" attitude toward the workers who have to work more hours for less pay to make ends meet.

Advice to Management

Take lees from the company and spread the profits to all instead of setting goals that fail and then giving a paycheck as a bonus at the end of the year. Stop micro managing, get rid of dead weight workers who do not contribute and take 2 hour lunches. Give raises to the ones that show they produce. The work place is poisoned with fear and distrust. Stop throwing "our" money away buying companies and bringing on those company execs with huge salaries. They end up invisible somewhere in the Blue Book.

"The Blue Book Network Not AKA Dodge or Mcgraw Hill"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jefferson Valley, NY

I have been working at The Blue Book Network® (Contractors Register) full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Benefits, Summer Hours. Work From Home options, Snow Days

Cons

Buying start up companies and their employees and paying them management salaries. Which is taking money out of Employees pockets. You tell us we are not making money yet you buy two start up companies and spend money on products that are not working and Rolling out the products before they are ready to be rolled out. Adding extra responsibility on employees in the office as well as the field with little or no compensation. Trying to be a company which we are not EX (Dodge and REED) We are THE BLUE BOOK NETWORK NOT DODGE or REED. We never were them nor will be ever be them. That is why the Blue Book Network has survived for 100 plus years. But the rate The Blue Book is going we will all be looking for jobs in the next 5 years. Lately we are not worried about the small companies that advertise with us we are only worried about the big ones and big jobs in the network and not small jobs. We Understand we want private jobs in the network however the public jobs are the ones that make us most of our money. Pre design and Design and Private Jobs are a bonus and should not be a priority. Smaller projects GC projects and Public projects will keep our customers happy. Not a project that wont come about for another year or not at all. Department Managers playing Dodge Ball when it comes to being confronted on issues. Some Department Managers and employees that have management positions should sit with employees and see what each arm of the department does. Some Department managers have no clue.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. Stop making poor management decisions. Your employees Matter. The Company should close down between Christmas and New Years.

"The Definition of Dead End Job"

Current Employee - Headquarters in Jefferson Valley, NY
    Current Employee - Headquarters in Jefferson Valley, NY

I have been working at The Blue Book Network® (Contractors Register) full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-Snow Days
    -1/2 Day Summer Fridays
    -Health Insurance is good

Cons

-There is absolutely no room for growth with this company unless you want to sell or listen to people yell at you on the phone all day about how terrible our products are.
    -Too many products that are not properly supported/broken/confusing.
    -Awful communication. One hand does not know what the other is doing in this company.
    -A variety of executives who are never on site and seem to do nothing. Have no idea why they're even on the payroll.
    -Complaints about management that go nowhere. It doesn't matter how many people complain or how well documented the problem is, they look the other way. Employees are talked down to, or harassed until they quit and nothing is done.
    -Treated like idiots and children who are not entitled to their own ideas or opinions.
    -Forced to work overtime without compensation.
    -Absolutely no work/life balance or flexibility.
    -Company is overrun with nepotism and management plays favorites to a level that has caused it to become a company wide joke.
    -The company has been "restructured" a number of times in the past several years with no real results.
    -It doesn't matter how hard you work, you will not be compensated for it. Base salary is a joke and raises are pathetic.
    -Systems are outdated and behind the times.

Advice to Management

Realize that most of your employees are miserable and are searching for other jobs. Try to actually appreciate the talent you have and try to hold onto them. Reward the people who work hard, not just the people who have a certain last name. Put some pride in your products and focus on making them better instead of creating more. Focus on actually getting customers to pay rather than counting the money you're supposedly going to get as "growth".

The Blue Book Network® (Contractors Register) Response

Jan 7, 2015 – Director of Human Resources

It is unfortunate that, as a current employee-owner, you have chosen to remain anonymous. Remaining anonymous precludes us from having an honest and productive dialogue about your feedback. Please... More

"This is not the place to work"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at The Blue Book Network® (Contractors Register) full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are no pros to work at the The Blue Book . It use to be a great place to work

Cons

YOU CAN SUM IT UP ON ONE WORD MICRO MANAGEMENT AT ITS FINEST. UPPER MANAGEMENT HAS NO CLUE WHAT IS GOING ON IN THE CONSTRUCTION INDUSTRY. THEY NEED TO SELL AT ONCE

Advice to Management

SELL THE COMPANY THE CEO HAS NO CLUE

7. "Solid Training & Sales Opportunity -- Although I believe that "print" advertising is a dying industry."

Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Jefferson Valley, NY
    Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Jefferson Valley, NY

Pros

The company has great training and the people that work there really are great. Corporate is in upstate New York and the people are all very friendly and great. There is potential to make a lot of money and they also have some pretty cool perks when you hit presidents club.
    They are moving their business model to include a bunch of great internet/computer products.

Cons

They place a lot of emphasis on Print Advertising which I believe is a dying industry. However, they are ramping up their internet and computer based offerings and if they can get those flying -- there will be a huge opportunity for growth.
    The only way to promote above a Regional Manager position is to move to the corporate HQ.

Advice to Management

Give more paid vacation -- its hard to plan all of my vacation around the holiday shut down.

"BDC"

Current Employee - BDC in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - BDC in Boston, MA

I have been working at The Blue Book Network® (Contractors Register) full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Working from Home. Setting own Calander

Cons

Working 65 to 70 hrs a week. Not enough money for what we are asked to do for it.

Advice to Management

Have less High paid Managers. Way too many managers

"Great Company to work for!"

Current Employee - Sales Account Manager in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Account Manager in Tampa, FL

Pros

The 101 year old company has done a great job in transitioning from a book to online presence. Always coming out with tools for the entire industry. The company is run it like a family business with perks and benefits of a huge company. If you are not making money than the it is on you, it is your own franchise. can make 100 K with the company.

Cons

The company is not saturated with middle management so there is not a lot of different opportunities to move in.

Advice to Management

Keep looking for more opportunities, help sales out with collections, setting appointments, ect.

"An Employee owned Business with a Family Owned approach"

Current Employee - Programmer in Jefferson Valley, NY
    Current Employee - Programmer in Jefferson Valley, NY

Pros

The effort and value provided by my fellow Blue Book Employee Owners to the construction industry has been outstanding. As the economy improved for our customers and builders It has allowed us to launch new products and connect and grow our customers businesses. It is rewarding to know that your products are making a difference.

Cons

Supporting the construction and advertising industries during the worst economic time since the depression is exhausting. We have continued to try and improve our products and processes and deliver more value to our customers but we need more paid time off!

Advice to Management

Stay true to your core mission and you will be around another 100 Years!