The Blue Book Network® (Contractors Register) Reviews | Glassdoor

The Blue Book Network® (Contractors Register) Reviews

Updated January 15, 2018

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • In the wintertime, if the weather is bad (snow, sleet, freezing rain) we'll get a two-hour delay, or we'll be able to work from home (in 9 reviews)

• We all strive to provide our customers with Great Customer Service (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Management is into micro management (in 23 reviews)

• Upper management regularly changed sales goals (in 22 reviews)

"Everyone is a disgruntled employee? Really!"

Current Employee - BDC in New York, NY
    Current Employee - BDC in New York, NY

Pros

It's a shame that the overall theme for this company's Pros are "401" and "Benefits"
    Not, that it's a positive work environment, or that there's true growth potential or any of the normal positives that a so called "Google of construction" should have. They will have to go public and get the dinosaurs running the company out of there before that happens. Nice dream though.

Cons

Rich Johnson and his peanut gallery have duped that poor old man out of his company and are just waiting for him to put the other foot in the grave. The sad part is the poor old guy has no idea of how they've ruined his family's company and legacy. I ditto all previous sentiments, except the by the koolaid drinking manager. However, I was willing to continue playing in the band until the ship went down but now they've decided that i shouldn't be properly compensated for all the broadway tap dancing I do on a daily basis in selling their suite of under performing products that they simply launch with no logistical thought process at all. Their motto is, hey sounds good, let's launch it tomorrow, who needs testing and research. They don't solicit input from the people who actually interact with the industry on a daily basis. Oh and when it crashes and burns, you guessed it, the sales consultants didn't do their jobs, it's all their fault. Rich Johnson set up on that stage in Atlanta at our Annual Sales Conference and told us that every product they've launched has failed miserably, but in the same breath had the audacity to have everyone shout at the top of their lungs that we are "Stronger than ever" I'm sorry but the last time I checked, consistent failure means "Dumber than ever" It all stems from managers who sold in the 70's and 80's and have never worked anywhere else and are clueless of today's sales and business climate. They send out emails promoting an employment referral incentive. Ha! I wouldn't recommend my worst enemy to this company. I just couldn't do that to anyone and sleep at night. The sad part is this company has the potential to be that "Google of construction" but until they listen to their employees and get their egos out of the way, chances of that happening are slim to none.

Advice to Management

Cash out and retire. You had a good run in the old days but let some fresh new blood take the wheel now. I know you see the iceberg, don't let all of us go down with you as a result of your massive egos and pride. Stop being selfish and think of the lives and families your're hurting. You'll be ok with your stock options and whatever else you've lined up for yourselves. I know I'm speaking for the majority of the company, PLEASE LEAVE! It's not personal, it's business.

Apr 11, 2016

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. We hope to help all of our employee-owners accept and understand our direction and invite all to communicate any concerns or constructive ideas... More

"TERRIBLE Company"

I have been working at The Blue Book Network® (Contractors Register) (More than 8 years)

Pros

401 K with company match, half day Fridays

Cons

The review below is what convinced me I had to speak out about what a horrible company this is currently. In case anyone is in the least bit of doubt, that was written by upper management...they are the only ones operating under the delusion that they are going to be the next Google and will become millionaires. Trust me, if you're just a regular grunt, you're lucky if your shares will equal enough monetarily wise to fill up your gas tank for a week. The dream of one day becoming a millionaire is the carrot they dangle in front of you while they pay you low wages and then lay you off once they figure you're too old to be of use to them anymore . Your work is not valued, you are not treated with respect, and you are constantly told that the company is in search of "new talent" while meanwhile they completely ignore the employees they have and never even try to see if they have any talent there. The CEO can't pay his employees but spends money on flying people around first class and providing huge amounts of food. You won't get a livable salary, but you will get t-shirts, knickknacks, pens, camp chairs, and camp chairs from the constant costly functions the firm sponsors. They tell you they appreciate you one moment and give you gifts then two weeks later tells you they can't afford you anymore and lay you off. There is no job security to be had here, all the employees are unhappy, and bankruptcy probably isn't far off.

Advice to Management

They need to resign

Mar 9, 2016

Thank you for your review. We’re glad you recognize our 401(k) with company match and our half-day summer Fridays! These are only some of the “best in class” benefits we offer.

We’re deeply... More

"A Great Company on the Verge of Becoming Greater"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jefferson Valley, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jefferson Valley, NY

I have been working at The Blue Book Network® (Contractors Register) full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I don't understand some of the negative reviews I've read on this site. The Blue Book is poised to become the Google & Linked In of the entire construction industry. Current employees will become millionaires as the Blue Book becomes as vital to the construction industry as Google is to searching on the web. People who complain about low salaries, nepotism, and the inability to advance their careers should leave. They don't get it. They are too wrapped up in their small ,little , self-interest world and don't belong here. The company has changed! Employees are compensated on their contribution towards growth. The day's of merely showing up and collecting a salary are over. I don't want to work with people who have that mind-set. There are always growing pains when a company is transitioning. But believe me, the Blue Book will rule the commercial construction industry and those employees who help in advancing the Blue Book's growth will be the happiest people in the world. If you don't want to get rich.....leave. If you want to be part of something greater than yourself and cement a prosperous future you are in the right place.

Cons

There are some negative employees who believe the company owe them everything if they merely show up. No one is chained to the company. If you don't like it and are too narrow minded and self-absorbed to see the possibilities....LEAVE!!

Advice to Management

Stay the course. The president and upper management are the hardest working people in the company....and they have the knowledge, industry experience and compassion to make this company huge!

Apr 6, 2016

Thank you for taking the time to share your positive feedback with us. While we appreciate your enthusiasm, we don’t wish for any of our Employee-Owners to leave. Instead, we hope that all of our... More

"Biggest career move mistake"

Former Employee - Sales in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Sales in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at The Blue Book Network® (Contractors Register) full-time

Pros

Benefits are top notch...esop, 401k, medical, etc...the job itself is putrid so if you'll notice the trend of reviews focusing on benefits, that would be where the pros begin and end. This is key...don't stray from this fact.

Cons

Inconsistent comp plan..never the same from year to year which WILL and does cheat you out of EARNED commissions from one calendar year to the next. The blue book lifers are self described "spin doctors" so if you're smart enough to inquire about this key piece of information I've provided, they'll provide an answer that most certainly will only reflect their interests. Just know, what I've described is what it is and if you care about commissions being paid in full on business you've sold, this is what you're up against.

Worst case of micromanagement you'll ever experience. Every single day, youre under a microscope and it never ends. No long term vision based upon business decisions being made at the top and if there's a strategy geared towards the future of the this company, I'd be shocked. I honestly think the leadership of this company flies by the seat of their pants and has no clue what 2016 looks like vs what 2017 should provide. Simply put, If you're considering a career change and this is your alternative, consider collecting unemployment. Yes, it's that bad in my humble opinion

Advice to Management

Fire each and every one of the yellow page minded dinosaurs that run this company. Empower your employees and understand that every day, week or even month doesn't give you an indication of anything as pertains to business goals over a year's time. The law of averages exists for a reason...understand it, embrace it and employ it before you run off every single one of your employees.

Mar 9, 2016

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. The comp plan change this year was in an effort to help the company transition away from an annual book production schedule and protect the sales... More

"Used to be good. Now..."

I have been working at The Blue Book Network® (Contractors Register) full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Like all others say - 401k, esop, medical, dental, wellness program, snow days, etc.

Cons

Just had first round of layoffs in the history of the company and they said they wouldn't do it again but I don't trust that. Brought in a bunch of upper management from a competitor that was failing and was bought out. How smart of a move is that? My department used to have the philosophy of you show up, do your job well and we can all live happily ever after. Now it's constant changes and someone watching over your shoulder at every little move you make. Used to be able to work from home but that is changing because the boss wants you in the office to make sure you're chained to your desk. Upper management seems to not know how to make the company successful. They are pretty much just throwing a bunch of stuff at the wall and hoping something sticks and makes them money. They have recently purchased a few start up companies and tried to implement them into our products with disastrous results. Products were so buggy that everyone hated them so they pretty much had to start from scratch. Salaries are low. This is like the big blue box store of white collar companies. They want to bring in the best talent but all they will get is recently graduated kids, people with low skills and old people. And the nepotism is pretty striking. I'll be honest and say that I dislike working but this place was the only job I didn't loathe coming to every day. Now, I wake up in the morning and the first thing I think is "I should call off today." Polishing up my résumé and looking for something else.

Advice to Management

Head management might want to think about stepping down if this year is anything like the last few. Quit buying start ups. You're not a big tech company.

Mar 1, 2016

Thank you for your honesty and candidness. The Blue Book Network is adapting to the changing needs and advanced technology of our industry. Recently some difficult choices had to be made as we... More

"Horrid"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Yorktown, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Yorktown, NY

Pros

401k is good vacation is good half day Friday's in summer. Not much to say it used to be a good place to work

Cons

Nepotism at its best you don't go anywhere unless your related to upper management they are the only ones that never get laid off it's not what you know but who you know management relies on relatives for answers they have no clue of what's going on its a joke. They have daughters working for their fathers in the same department and you have to sit there and watch the nepotism everybody hates it but won't say anything. It's awful.

Advice to Management

They won't listen they promote everything that goes on there. No wonder the place is going downhill

Apr 6, 2016

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We appreciate your honest feedback.

We’re sorry to hear that you’ve had an unpleasant experience working at The Blue Book Network. As an... More

"N/A"

I have been working at The Blue Book Network® (Contractors Register) full-time

Pros

OK Benefits, Very good 401K

Cons

Salary-Extremely low.
    Won't get anywhere unless you are related to the upper management that runs the company.
    Definitely who you know not what you know

Advice to Management

Appreciate your valuable employees that do the work and reward them.

Mar 1, 2016

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and for recognizing our Benefits as a “Pro.” The Blue Book Network takes pride in providing “Best in Class” benefits across the board to all of... More

"Run away"

Pros

Company matches 5% in 401K plan

Cons

Bullying, no respect from sales team for all management

Apr 6, 2016

Thank you for your review, and thanks for recognizing our 5% dollar-for-dollar company match in the 401(k) plan.

The kind of behavior you’re describing should not be tolerated, and it does not... More

""sad""

Pros

was a great company.......had great benefits, great people......secure future......SAD......Not anymore!

Cons

....a bunch of old yellow page ad sales people running the business.....in over their heads. Management is into micro management...they like to throw new products to the wind....and hope they stick.........management came from a time when all they had to do to be successful was sell an advertisement in a phone directory......why does that make them qualified management? 260 business development consultants on the street talking to the industry.....management should listed to the BDC a little closer.

Advice to Management

cutting the fat needs to have a little more thought than drawing a line and cutting anyone not in growth....that was an awful decision that they made Nov 5...many great , long term employees were wrongfully terminated.

Apr 6, 2016

Thank you for your honest review. We appreciate your feedback.

Some difficult decisions had to be made recently as The Blue Book Network adapts to the changing needs and advancing technology of... More

"Bad News"

Current Employee - Business Development Consultant in Pottstown, PA
    Current Employee - Business Development Consultant in Pottstown, PA

Pros

A great 401k, awesome co-workers

Cons

There are too many to list, here are a few. Inept & incompetent upper management. Severe micro management. Products that don't work. Unrealistic goals. Massive firings with a churn & burn mentality. A manager getting a promotion that has lost over $325,000 in business over the last 2 years.

Advice to Management

Sell the company, The CEO should resign, come out with products your customers actually like. Make sure the products work. Listen to your employees that actually have relationships with the customers.