The Blue Book Network® (Contractors Register) Reviews | Glassdoor

The Blue Book Network® (Contractors Register) Reviews

Updated May 5, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • In the wintertime, if the weather is bad (snow, sleet, freezing rain) we'll get a two-hour delay, or we'll be able to work from home (in 8 reviews)

• Some really great co-workers but all the good ones have left or been forced out by now (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Management is into micro management (in 22 reviews)

• It took a long time before upper management responded to any review (in 19 reviews)

"Run for the hills!"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Washington, DC

Pros

Protected territory, existing account base. Great benefits and an amazing 401k.

Cons

Big layoff and rumors the company is about to be sold!!Management appears to have no idea how to move the company in the right direction. So they are selling out.

Advice to Management

Management team has no real history of success and keeps hiring more Management. Hire real managers that care about the employees.

"Mice in a maze...."

I have been working at The Blue Book Network® (Contractors Register) full-time

Pros

Not many to speak of... Medical plan is decent, 401K plan is great and ESOP is a definite plus! That's about it!

Cons

Way too many to count! Constant restructure and not always for the better. Salary is WAY BELOW competitive salaries. Moral has greatly been stomped on!!

Advice to Management

There's no point in giving advise, they won't listen.

"Do your job"

Pros

Great place to work. Everyone is friendly. I can really see the company is making the proper changes for the future. Just do your work!

Cons

There isn't enough vacation time. Unused vacation time should be rolled into the next year

Advice to Management

Trust in your younger employees. The company has a lot of talent. Start letting everyone think outside of the box and profits will go through the roof.

"What Happened!"

Pros

Made many good friends along the way. Great 401 plan, great medical

Cons

This company has gone down hill since we became Employee Owned. Too many cooks in the kitchen and none of them know how to bake.....Let's try this and let's try that but nothing works. Maybe the upper management should take some advise from the employees since we are "Employee Owned"

"Business development consultant"

Current Employee - Business Development Consultant
    Current Employee - Business Development Consultant

I have been working at The Blue Book Network® (Contractors Register) full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good 401k good customer service

Cons

Terrible heartless management. Upper management clueless about market trends. Ceo dislikes his sales force. Management changes com plan. Products that don't work, and it's always sales fault for company operating in the red. Only an it manager turned ceo can take a successful sale force and gut it to a sales force with less then 3 years experience.

Advice to Management

Everyone at the top must go and bring back Jim Omaley

"Business Development Consultant"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Tampa, FL

I worked at The Blue Book Network® (Contractors Register) full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people and team are great tom work with, and really good benefits. Not an easy job, but if you work hard a good return.

Cons

My regional manager was great but corp sometimes makes you feel it is never enough.

Advice to Management

appreciate your sales team, and look for new tools,

"They're Not Listening!!!"

Current Employee - BDC
    Current Employee - BDC

I have been working at The Blue Book Network® (Contractors Register) full-time

Pros

Great benefits, and tremendous 401K matching program. A few really dedicated inside people who are getting burned out by the culture of the company.
    The satisfaction of helping someone grow their business

Cons

As stated by others
    sales is to blame for all of the company's failures, even though we have no say in the direction the company is going. Upper management is an old boy network, riddled with cronyism and nepotism, who never take any responsibilities for some of our failures
    With the new emphasis on phone calls etc., there is no time for, paperwork, problem solving, research, prospecting, or following up on existing customers without giving up any semblance of work/life balance

Advice to Management

Our company is changing directions seemingly every other day. Our management team is so arrogant as to think that they can make these changes without bothering to consult our customer base or the sales force. Our Ceo thinks we’re going to become a technology company, and our National Sales Manager has no ideas at all except to make threats, and demand more and more and more phone calls. And like almost every measurable in the organization, if you ask for numbers, you will get (inflated) numbers just to make the noise go away. It doesn’t translate into revenue

It is generally not a good business practice, to sell a product and then make wholesale changes to the products without surveying our customer base to see if this is something they want, or at the very least to let them know in advance that changes are being made, and why.
    We are inundating our network with way too many e-mails and phone calls. These are not consumers, buying shoes, they are businesses. This approach is creating a lot of bad will, in the industry and very little measureable success. It is also improper not to provide a method for people to opt out of this onslaught.
    We now have basically untrained relatively new employees in almost every department expected to try to sell something to our customers, without having the experience or industry knowledge to make any impact. Yet, if they get a sale or two (at what overall cost)?; everyone jumps up and down about how great it’s going.
    It is also fairly apparent that if you’ve been a good soldier/cheerleader over the years, another management job will await you regardless of your performance. The complaints of cronyism, and nepotism posted by others on this site are legitimate

We introduce products with the phrase
    “This is what the industry needs”, but that is not what the industry is telling those of us in the field.
    The sales force keeps asking for more awarded projects, with plans, and a complete reporting of the public projects including the bidders list.
    Although a small segment of the industry is interested in large, high profile projects that may or may start way down the road; the bulk of the people who provide our revenue aren’t large enough, to participate on those kinds of projects.
    We need some transparency, to really give any validity to the owner/partner rant
    How much did we pay for our acquisitions?
    How much have we invested in developing new products, the Outbound Sales Team, the Demand Development Group, and what is their real profit/loss contribution?
    The Steering Committee is comprised of either long time upper management, or yes men, who are afraid to tell the emperor about his new clothes.
    The outside sales team is the largest single group of employees, and is almost solely responsible for the revenue
    Sales needs some representation in the direction our company is going
    . Some of us also have some ideas about other channels to provide revenue.
    The company needs to have focus groups for our customers, and outside sales team, when they’re considering making changes, or to actually learn what the industry finds valuable.
    The bottom line is
    Our management team, does not know who our customer is, and they do not understand what the BDC’s job really is, and they’ve made no attempt to understand either.

"NOT the company it used to be"

Current Employee - Business Development Manager
    Current Employee - Business Development Manager

I have been working at The Blue Book Network® (Contractors Register) full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good work life balance (if you can ignore the micromanagement) thats about it. Used to be a great company to work for, the list of pros would never end.. Everything has been stripped of us. I personally believe in the products. Also 401k and good medical.

Cons

Compensation has been completely changed. I now make HALF of what I used to make 3 years ago, with the same dollar amount over goal (endbill). They have taken the GC commissions away and the quarterly bonus structure is unattainable. Management has become extremely intense micromanagers, to the point that its becoming unbearable. The nepotism towards family members or favorites has gotten extremely bad. Having IN OFFICE call sessions every single Monday not only makes it extremely uncomfortable to sit there and make multiple phone calls like a call center but the travel time to the office is wasted time. The LAST time this was a AMAZING company to work for, was before the owner gave it over to the CEO. When the owner retired the company has gone downhill since.

Advice to Management

TRUST your reps to do their jobs like you used to. This used to be an amazing company to work. Calm down on the micromanagement (it is only stressing everyone out). Treat your employees equally. Stop always blaming sales

"Honesty"

Pros

The company portrayed a good base plus commission and it appeared to be well established for the construction market

Cons

Nothing was as it appeared we were told that we would receive pre qualified customers to call on as Milwaukee was a new market and they had been pre screened. As I began to make calls some had been out of business for a year or more and some contacts that we were told were legitimate had even passed away

Advice to Management

Be honest with your sales people and give them better information

"The FALL of a once great company."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at The Blue Book Network® (Contractors Register) full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

401(k). The only pro,so it is hard to come up with 20 words since the 401(k) is the ONLY one.

Cons

Where do I start ? It is very hard since there are so many. As a former employee ( Over 17 years with multiple President Club awards as well as many other awards ) it is sad to see what has happened to a once great company- but not any more.

Advice to Management

Resign and ask for forgiveness from all current & past employees. Shame on you. Management needs to stop blaming the down fall of the company on sales people & take responsibility.