The Body Shop Reviews in London, England | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
The Body Shop CEO Jeremy Schwartz
Jeremy Schwartz

Pros
Cons
  • Upper management told us not to file complaints because they wouldn't get anywhere or "get lost" (in 39 reviews)

• as a freelance designer I don't get a discount through the body shop only for full time or part time (in 30 reviews)

"Mixed feelings about working here..."

Former Employee - Customer Consultant in London, England (UK)

I worked at The Body Shop part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you work with a great team the atmosphere at work can be lovely. The staff discount is excellent at 50% off however there are often codes online for 40% off anyway, you are also given access to the Loreal staff shop which has some amazing products for super cheap! Sometimes you are given free products for example when new ranges are launched.

Cons

The targets are unrealistic and you find yourself obsessing over checking your performance on the till system which can dampen your enthusiasm. The percentages you must hit are as follows: £16 average transaction per customer, 3-4 products per transaction and 30% conversion rate minimum for opening Body Shop points cards.
     I would frequently get asked if I had approached customers, which I had... this could get repetitive at times and make you feel as though you were doing something wrong. They try to impose a 1 minute rule for each customer in which you must establish their needs and convert them into purchasing a product. Sometimes you would feel as though you were made to be quite pushy and rude with customers as you would practically be expected to force them to sit down and have products sampled on them.
     Visits from external store managers were awful, more than half of the time they didn't even acknowledge my presence as a fairly new member of staff, they were very judgemental and frankly rude, rather than offering constructive criticism they would just make outright snide remarks.
     For minimum wage I think quite a lot is expected of Customer Consultants, the pay could be fairer.
    Some of the staff had been there for a few years and were struggling to gain contracts above 12 hours, there is no real room for growth within the company.

Advice to Management

Focus more on offering a friendly service for customers, being pushy more often than not doesn't work.
    Not everybody wants a points card, if they do that's brilliant but don't condemn people when they have bad days.
    Spend more time on the shop floor engaging with the team and with customers to get a better understanding of where improvements can be made and to acknowledge the successes of your staff.
    Distribute working hours more evenly (particularly weekends).

2. "Constant changes - lack of vision"

Former Employee - Senior Manager in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in London, England (UK)

I worked at The Body Shop full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Nice brand, great heritage and brand story. L'Oréal changed the quality of products and operations.
    Nice new office in London.

Cons

The L'Oréal acquisition failed to merge (and respect) the culture. The result is a weird mix. Lots of divas and powerful lorelians being "bossy" around. If you work for body shop they consider you second class talent by default. The voices about a potential sale of the company have been spreading for years and are now very concrete.
    Long hours, constant change and lack of vision from top management makes difficult to work with peace of mind.
    Little respect when you are not consider a top talent anymore.

Advice to Management

Be real. Stop micro managing. Stop bossy behaviours of some member of the leadership team.

3. "Busy!"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in London, England (UK)
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in London, England (UK)

I worked at The Body Shop as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Always something to do, nice people to work with

Cons

Conflicting information, management seemed a little confused and stressed

Advice to Management

People work better when managers remain calm

5. "Long Server"

Current Employee - Regional Manager in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Regional Manager in London, England (UK)

Pros

Huge amounts of personal development opportunities
    A real 'Family' feelling amongst the teams
    Supportive and collaborative working environment
    Amazing NPD product launches
    Personal Benefit package that you can choose what to take and use
    Fun & engaging stores
    Competitive salary

Cons

We never stand still, which can at times feel over whelming
    There are alot of projects that all seem to have the same level of importance so again can feel stretched

Advice to Management

Simplify

6. "OK"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in London, England (UK)

Pros

The people, products, L'Oréal employee discount.

Cons

Office location, highly challenging working environment.

"Horrible, high turnover and no stability"

Former Employee - Senior Customer Consultant in London, England (UK)

I worked at The Body Shop part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

50% discount on products and discounts on some other Loreal owned products. free products

Cons

I worked there because I honestly had an interest in what the company stood for but it was all focused around sales and pushing thing on people. Its fine as its a sales job too but you were basically punish for not making end of day sales, for example if by 7pm you had not made the days target and you had less than £50 to meet it we would literally have to stay open till we did, most of the time this was until way past 8 as theres fewer customers. You then had to close up and clean up (cashing up, hoovering, product replenishment etc) it would be almost 9, however bear in mind we only got paid until 7pm. Now closing the store wouldn’t be so bad if you do it quick enough but unfortunately during my time there everyone kept leaving which meant pretty much every week we had new staff who needed to be trained so it was never smooth flowing. I started working as a customer assistant, so they only offered 8 hours, if you’re a student and only want 8 hours and are very flexible then great, but if you need more hours its not gonna happen unless its xmas period or the occasional overtime , the company sticks to 8 hours contracts and does not change it. Another thing is that come winter or sun you WILL have to stand outside the store for HOURS on end offering customers to try certain products etc, if you work in a very busy store it might not be the case. However in my store there was lots of periods when it was quiet to as a customer assistant it was your job to stand outside, It would be freezing and they give you a red coat to supposedly keep you warm but you can’t wear boots or any conformable shoes so your feet are freezing. Then in the summer the sun is right in your face where you can even look at customers but you’re expected to stay there again for hours!. The management team of course did not do that part of the job so it was just the customer assistants. They measure your sales targets and how many loyalty cards you’ve sign people on and get mad if you don’t do well enough. Im not exaggerating when I say that you had to learn loads and loads on existing products and overtime they launched a new product, you had to reads pages on the products and memorise and then use the information to sell the products which to me was fun but the amount of information on so many products they expect you to know its like an actual professional but without the professional pay. They got mad if you did not wear make up, if you had you nails plain. I then became a senior customer consultant but only after practically begging them to give me chance because every senior consultant that came left after a WEEK or 2! I was the only one who stayed and they would hire girls who would leave straight away, causing a chaos for closing times and as the one with most experience they would make me do closing shifts to help out. It was a struggle to get promoted considering I had shown commitment, I came in whenever they needed someone last minute, offered to work bank holidays and pretty much every weekend. I loved been a senior customer consultant and loved helping the customer however it was getting very annoying that they only offered 12 hour contract for senior service consultant, I would love to have worked full time but they only offer that in a few stores so I wanted to move but my manager always kept putting it off saying I needed to complete a certain amount of time in our store as SCC before applying for a different store for the same position! Furthermore because a lot of the new staff kept leaving I was constantly left with new girls to do all the training, which happened mostly in the evenings so I was the one working until 9 pm but only getting paid till 7. The companies hight turnover was too much, it was hard to build a team. The last straw for me was that as it was only 12 hour contract I had to find another job which took me away 2 days a week and offered The Body all my flexibility for the other 5 days (keep in mind that shifts are only 4 hours at a time!) they were always complaining that my role required me to be FULLY flexible , the other job had set days and hours so the knew exactly what days I worked, but they kept complaining they MIGHT need me and I need to show im fully flexible. It was a total joke, they wanted so much flexibility of me for 12 hours! In the end i had to leave not because financially it made no sense, I actually did enjoy my job genuinely helping the customers and learning about new products but the way the company does things was too chaotic. Also my manager would lose it so bad at points where she would scream and some staff so loud you could hear in the shop floor from the office. This amongst other things cause our assistant manager to leave the company as well and it was such a shame because she worked so hard but was badly treated by the company and manager

Advice to Management

Im sure the store managers is under high pressure too, but the company needs to invest more in those workers who actually want to stay and work more hours! no-one unless its an student who need 8 hours of work is going to stay forever.

8. "customer consultant"

Former Employee - Customer Consultant in London, England (UK)

I worked at The Body Shop (More than a year)

Pros

Good amount of holiday hours for part time staff, impressive staff discount on all products

Cons

Busy over christmas period but to be expected anywhere in retail, short contracted hours for everyone

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work keep up the good work keep up the good work keep up the good work

"good benefits"

Former Employee - Senior Customer Consultant in London, England (UK)

I worked at The Body Shop full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Really enjoyed working here, loved the products i was selling so that helps alot. 50% staff discount and an online loreal website where so much stuff was cheap just for loreal staff.

Cons

They do push you alot in the way you sell to customers. sometimes felt awkward having to put items in customers baskets, felt like i was making them buy it.

10. "Talented teams but zero empowerment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Pros

Amazingly talented individuals.
    Creativity is encouraged.
    Products are genuinely brilliant.

Cons

Lack of empowerment.
    No decision making from senior management.
    A lot of pressure and horrible work/life balance.
    Not in a central London location - commute is horrendous.
    Hierarchical - lack of respect.

Advice to Management

Improve the work-life balance, empower your people. Treat them with respect. Reward hard work.

11. "Awful"

Current Employee - SCC in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - SCC in London, England (UK)

I have been working at The Body Shop part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good discount and free products

Cons

Management are absolutely awful, they're up themselves in my store and treat certain staff members like dirt, it's all about money to them which is such a shame because in my eyes customers are people and not pound signs, but unfortunately where I work management see customers as that which is a shame because I dont.

Advice to Management

I don't even know where to start, the business for a start is a shamble let alone the management.