The Body Shop Reviews | Glassdoor

The Body Shop CEO David Boynton
David Boynton

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "There is "it's never enough" attitude from upper management" (in 44 reviews)

• "as a freelance designer I don't get a discount through the body shop only for full time or part time" (in 33 reviews)

1. "Assistant Retail Manager"

Pros

Great management. Great products. Great company.

Cons

They’re not doing great in the US so 3 stores closed down in the area and the one I was working for moved location. Management changed and was not as good.

Advice to Management

None

2. "Assistant Manager"

I have been working at The Body Shop full-time

Pros

The discount was really good, and the values that they hold as a company are pretty amazing.

Cons

Hours can vary which make it suck, upper management with the regional kinda sucks. She doesn't seem into the stores as she should be.

"I can’t recommend working here"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Century City, CA
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Century City, CA

I have been working at The Body Shop full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Small team, no animal testing

Cons

No partnership with, HR, very old computers, customer service was hard to contact, huge turn over, commission type environment but there was no commission

Advice to Management

Stop micro managing

4. "Great company"

Current Employee - Key Holder in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Key Holder in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at The Body Shop full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great pay, job stability, bonus structure is awesome.

Cons

Expect to work weekends every weekend at that , and work more than the manager

5. "Customer Consultant"

Former Employee - Customer Consultant in The Woodlands, TX
    Former Employee - Customer Consultant in The Woodlands, TX

I worked at The Body Shop (Less than a year)

Pros

Awesome team, great opportunities, nice management

Cons

Only Traffic & parking

Advice to Management

Great Management! Very compatible diverse team, overall Great place to work!

6. "Amazing company to work for"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in West Des Moines, IA
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in West Des Moines, IA

I worked at The Body Shop full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you are passionate about working for a company that has amazing values, amazing products, amazing customers and always a supportive manager and team to work with, then this is the company for you! The pay is great starting out for any position you are hired on to be. I would say the most rewarding parts of my job were leading my team to be the greatest we could be and having an awesome company to represent on a daily basis.

Cons

I wanted so badly to have my career be with The Body Shop, but in July of 2016, our manager told us that the company was going to be closing several shops in the company, including our shop. It was one of the most sad moments of my life, leaving a job I loved, because my store shut down. Please don't close any more stores!

Advice to Management

Thank you for being great, you were definitely a perk of my job and I wouldn't have had the success without your support!

"If You Value Your Sanity... DONT DO IT"

Former Employee - Customer Consultant in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Consultant in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at The Body Shop part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Products are great, discount was ok, some staff was friendly... the gratis that we did get was nice. Sometimes you’d get an hour lunch... when they were owned by L’Oréal you’d get discounts on other L’Oréal brands.

Cons

I don’t get how one runs an ethical brand but isn’t ethical to employees? They don’t hide from within, they’ll bring someone else in to do the job you’d been training for and then make you train the new person to be your boss. and you have to be very pushy... with no commission. Which leads to catty coworkers. Even management. Everyone gossips. It’s disgusting. I went through so much working here for so little pay. A lot of companies will pay way more or at least do competitive pay. Don’t bother. I’d never been so unhappy in my life.

Advice to Management

Just try not to compete with your suboordinates and actually coach them. That’s your job.

"Set up to fail"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at The Body Shop full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Company has great culture, especially now Natura is involved. Strong focus on going back to it’s roots.

Cons

Management on a regional/district level can be incredibly hit or miss. Lack of training , professionalism and accountability at this level is horrible.

Not a smart business- very all over the place, Ecom promotions hurt retail business, a lot of talking they can’t back up,traffic is completely shot and it is on the store staff to bring in those people while the company sets up every obstacle to prevent this.

Unrealistic expectations, with absolutely zero follow up or support from field leaders.

"Manager"

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at The Body Shop full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Does not test on animals. Founder Anita is an inspiration.

Cons

Anita would not be happy with at least the US part of Body Shop. It's nothing but a favorites and numbers game. At company events majority of corporate and management gets trashed drunk and makes it uncomfortable to be around. Higher management likes to blame a lot but does not like to get their hands dirty and give it a try to help. Managers are over worked and understaffed because you have to have approval from corporate to hire and they never think people are good enough. The products are not what they tell us to say like natural and other things. It's just a very uncomfortable place to work. If you are fake and cheat at your sales and post daily on linked in about how much you love it. Then you will be fine but if you are a real person don't do it!

Advice to Management

Get in and you work a week single coverage in a store and see if you make goals.

10. "Great Products"

I have been working at The Body Shop part-time

Pros

Discount on products
    Interaction with costumers

Cons

Your work ethic is based on how much money you bring in, which can present a lot of unnecessary pressure. Especially when the traffic within the shop is slow.
    It is important to understand the ingredients within the products, because you will have to explain them to costumers. Can become overwhelming.