The Body Shop Reviews | Glassdoor

The Body Shop Reviews

Updated June 25, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Great products Great discount, very flexible with work schedule (in 71 reviews)

• Community fair trade, makes you feel proud of the company you work for (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • There is "it's never enough" attitude from upper management (in 40 reviews)

• as a freelance designer I don't get a discount through the body shop only for full time or part time (in 31 reviews)

"Not the worst"

Current Employee - FT Assistant Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - FT Assistant Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at The Body Shop full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Community fair trade, against animal cruelty, great and effective skincare, iconic body care products, a brand that really loves to help out the people who make their products possible.

Cons

New corporate team is a mess, sends important information way too late, unrealistic expectations for sales per hour, not a high wage per hour.

Advice to Management

Be more effective when passing down information to stores. Seek high quality full time employees rather than 20 flaky PT employees.

"Great Product... Intense selling."

Current Employee - Beauty Consultant in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Beauty Consultant in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at The Body Shop part-time

Pros

Really good product. Great employee discount. Good for anyone looking to become better at selling.

Cons

No commission but very intense selling. Alot of things to remember. Have to sell membership cards and is expected to be that annoying sells person without any incentives or commission. Low pay.

Advice to Management

Stop pushing your beauty consultants and pressuring them to force sells upon customers without any kind of recognition.

3. "The Body Shop"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at The Body Shop (Less than a year)

Pros

Great work environment and great benefits. Not overly taxing as the company moves very slowly.

Cons

The company moves very slowly so decisions seem very calculated and sometimes miss the boat with decisions so always behind on trends.

Advice to Management

Continue with the current values but update stores and online experience to current trends.

4. "Love this company"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Elmhurst, NY
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Elmhurst, NY

I have been working at The Body Shop full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great ethics, I love their commitment to change

Cons

Long hours (my location is very specific)

Advice to Management

Thank you for always recognizing when your employees do well

5. "Cool Company, Weird Management"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Brea, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Brea, CA

I worked at The Body Shop (More than a year)

Pros

Ethical company with rad values

Cons

Management fought a lot and never seemed to be on the same page. It was difficult to maintain sales goals with little to no stock.

"Customer Service Representative"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I worked at The Body Shop (More than 8 years)

Pros

I had insurance for my family and was able to pay my bills. I also enjoyed talking and meeting new people from all over the world, I enjoyed the products the sold and how they protect the environment.

Cons

The Company do not care about their employees it was all about the bottom line dollars. The company do not pay good and gave very low raises to the employees. They never had their employees back you never felt secure always had to watch your own back.

Advice to Management

Management you need to have your employees best interest at heart. I do not know if this company know if the employees are happy that will produces hard working employees. People like to be treated like they matter and not like a piece of trash.

"Love the company, needs to change a lot of things operationally"

Current Employee - Shop Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Shop Manager in Austin, TX

Pros

Love what we do for the world through our products.

Love creating a sense of beauty for our customers

Cons

No consideration of personal lives and only 2 weeks vacation at full time.

Needs to get its operation side up to par with other companies. Processes make it difficult to ensure the best service to our customers which in turns hurts business.

"Full Time Assistant Manager"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Des Moines, IA

Pros

I loved my manager. She is by far the best manager ive ever had. Very flexible, motivating and just overall a great person to work with. She is super supportive and her main focus is her team. As far as the Company goes, The Body Shop is 100% Vegetarian, Cruelty Free and fairly trades with communities around the world and actually uses real ingredients in their products. It is a lovely product to sell and carries everything you can think of from body care to facial skincare to makeup.

Cons

Times are changing, Body Shop. Retail is nothing like it used to be, everyone prefers to shop online because they dont want to be bothered by a sales associate and demonstrations. Sure there are still people out there that like to come in and get a facial and demo on them and be sold to, but the American shopper is not like that anymore. They prefer to shop in their PJ's at home on the couch. The Body Shop wants their stores to do very high volume numbers and they have very high expectations for their shops....I work at a very small shop in a very high end mall. We are the only store in Iowa....I have been the Full timer for almost one year now and I can tell you none of my team got a raise since we've worked there due to the district not making their numbers. Yesterday we were all informed that our shop will be closing, but they do not say directly that it is because of the volume we do but I think they are just slowly eliminating small stores because this company is in financial trouble just like every other retail job out there. My advice to anyone who has an interview with The Body Shop or works there now, beware, they might close your shop too. Doesnt matter if you never think it will happen to you, doesnt matter if you do a million bucks a year, it can still happen.

Advice to Management

Set realistic goals to have shops meet, especially the small shops with not much traffic. Dont promise the world to your employees when you cant deliver. Dont hire any more people that rely on this income and then let them go with a month's notice. I love The Body Shop but Anita Roddick is probably turning in her grave right now.

The Body Shop Response

Aug 23, 2016 – Talent Acquisition

Hello and thank you for taking the time to leave your review. We are happy to hear about your positive experience with management and how much you appreciate our Enrich Not Exploit&trade ; Commitment ... More

9. "Customer Consultant"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at The Body Shop part-time

Pros

Amazong company to work for. Great deals

Cons

Excessive sales. Tough hours sometimes

Advice to Management

No advice keep doin what you're doing!

10. "Assistant manager"

Current Employee - Part Time Assistant Manager in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Part Time Assistant Manager in Philadelphia, PA

Pros

Great products. Great values.
    Can be a lot of fun.

Cons

Not a lot of room to advance.
    Very out dated systems.

Advice to Management

Lead by example.