The Bollard Group Reviews | Glassdoor

James K. Cornell
1 Rating

"Awful mid-level managers"

Former Employee - Tax Accountant in Boston, MA

Pros

Interesting clients, brilliant senior-level managers, great location, competitive salaries, decent benefits, always opportunities to learn new skills with diverse clients.

Cons

Long hours, thankless mid-level managers, revolving door culture, managers who teach by yelling and belittling staff, not many professional growth paths.

Advice to Management

Cultivate your staff rather than viewing them as expendable. The constant sloughing off of staff members contributed to extremely low morale.

"N/A"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at The Bollard Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Location, that is essentially it. I need to write 20 words so I will write this instead of actually listing a pro.

Cons

Completely toxic atmosphere, everyone is miserable, I do not recommend or even want my worst enemy to work here. If you want to be yelled at and backstabbed all day, treated as expendable, this is the place for you. Everyone is treated awful, there is a reason why turnover is nearly 100%. You can make more money as an Uber driver with no headaches. This is a place to earn experience but also a place I wish never existed.

Advice to Management

Don't play with people's livelihood, be honest and upfront about how the work environment and culture is. Don't write fake reviews on your site to promote how great you are, it is a nightmare. I'm frankly shocked you haven't been sued yet due to how disrespectful the environment is.

"3 years is a lifetime"

Former Employee - Manager in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at The Bollard Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Stimulating environment, lots of learning opportunities.

Cons

Human resources disaster. Hostile work environment.

Advice to Management

None, this place won't change.

"Tax Department"

I worked at The Bollard Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I can't think of any- Location ?

Cons

Awful place to work. The managers yelling at staff to show off their powers. The staff (including managers) act like high school kids. Unprofessional managers and staff.

Advice to Management

Please be professional!!

"Be careful"

Former Employee - Accounting Specialist in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Accounting Specialist in Boston, MA

I worked at The Bollard Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Somewhat interesting job and clients.

Cons

No one will say thank you for all your extra time and effort. Mid level management is awful (senior management is great).

Advice to Management

Compensate your employees according with their contribution.

"Most depressing place I've ever worked at"

Former Employee - Systems Administrator in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Systems Administrator in Boston, MA

Pros

Beautiful building located right in Beacon Hill, it has its own private gym, centrally located in downtown Boston and near the T.

Cons

Boss is the biggest micromanager on planet earth, management and employees scared to death of him, nothing ever gets done as no one wants to step up to claim responsibility, extremely high turnover (company of 40 turns over 35 personnel within 18 monhts)

Advice to Management

Treat your people like people and not as equipment. They have lives and deserve respect and a decent work life balance. Stop micromanaging and actually let your workers do the job you hired them to do. Stop pulling on the reins; the reason nothing gets done here is the workers are scared to death of you and will not stand up to accept risk due to backlash.

8. "Staff Accountant"

Former Employee - Staff Accountant
    Former Employee - Staff Accountant

I worked at The Bollard Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Diverse and interesting Clientele means new challenging projects all the time. Loved working there. I enjoyed the diverse projects I had to do. I walked out of there with so many professional skills that have furthered my career. I really enjoyed working there even though it was difficult.

Cons

HR department lacks experience and personal skills. Life/work balance difficult to achieve. 100% billable made it stressful.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. Don't Micromanage them. make it 80% billable or something like that. It's unrealistic to expect employees to bill EVERY minute to a client.

9. "Accountant"

I have been working at The Bollard Group full-time

Pros

Good location. Nice people. Challenging and many opportunities to gain professional experience. Fast-paced environment.

Cons

Busy schedule to meet deadlines.

10. "Accounting"

Pros

Great location. Interesting clients. A lot to learn when working with the different clients. There's always someone to ask when you have questions. Friendly coworkers. People are willing to help if you ask. The hours aren't bad. Small company so everyone knows everyone.

Cons

Busy during tax season, which can be expected.

"(Spinnaker Capital LLC) Bait and Switch - Most Toxic Workplace ever"

I have been working at The Bollard Group full-time

Pros

None - horrible place to work. Horrible management. Everyone is hostile and mean. Face time is more important than work.

Cons

This is the worst place I have ever worked at in my life. The turnover is incredibly high. Two workers recently quit even though they had no other job lined up. The interview process took over 6 months. No negotiation of salary. Work is admin and ops, I was lied to in interviews. Management is horrible, founder is worse. Yelling, no communication, cheap firm. (no snow day pay, terrible benefits). Anti employee policies. Everyone is miserable. Weekends and late nights even though interviews don't tell you. Can't travel during tax season even if you're not a tax pro

Advice to Management

Be truthful in the interview process. You're playing with people's careers and livelihoods when you lie about the work content and culture. Be considerate of your employees' schedules. Don't wait until the end of the day to assign something. If you're late every day, don't yell at other employees who come in late.