The Bollard Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated September 27, 2017

Full-timePart-time

James K. Cornell

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Bollard Group Internship"

Pros

They work you really hard and you learn a lot on the job.

Cons

It can be a bit too much at times

2. "Manager"

Former Employee - Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at The Bollard Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great learning opportunities at all levels, interesting and complex client base, nice working environment. It is a family office and you are exposed to many aspects of the business. I was full time for many years and when I was approaching retirement I reduced my hours to part time. I am now retired.

Cons

Like most family offices, especially those who prepare the taxes, estimates and tax plans, the hours can be long during tax season. It is not the right fit for someone who is not flexible.

Advice to Management

Because I retired a few years ago I do not know if any suggestions would be on point.

3. "I had a great time at The Bollard Group and it helps me a lot!"

I worked at The Bollard Group full-time

Pros

I worked at The Bollard Group (TBG) for six months as a Northeastern Client Services Accounting Co-op (a kind of internship). TBG is THE MOST (not one of the most) international employee friendly and first Co-op friendly company I have ever seen and the wage was relatively high! It was intense at the beginning, but after a month, I felt impressed with what I have improved. I have learned a lot more Accounting concepts and real-world business than I expected at TBG. I was planning to go back for my second and third Co-op, but my parents asked me to try other companies first. TBG helped my knowledge and resume a lot, I got hired at State Street for my second Co-op and The Boston Consulting Group (BCG) for my third one. I'm an international student who is graduating soon, I will definitely apply for TBG for my OPT!

Cons

Advice to Management

More technology

4. "Accountant"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at The Bollard Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The location is great. It is accessible by public transportation.
    The clientele is interesting and unique.
    There are lots of opportunities to learn. I have been working at the Firm more than five years. I had the chance to participate in various projects and have developed various skill sets.
    The management is supportive of advance education and license achievement.
    The Firm also focuses on process-driven. It pushes you always think whether there is better way to do the work.

Cons

The workload during busy season can be overwhelming.

Advice to Management

The Firm can invest more in technology.

"N/A"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at The Bollard Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Location, that is essentially it. I need to write 20 words so I will write this instead of actually listing a pro.

Cons

Completely toxic atmosphere, everyone is miserable, I do not recommend or even want my worst enemy to work here. If you want to be yelled at and backstabbed all day, treated as expendable, this is the place for you. Everyone is treated awful, there is a reason why turnover is nearly 100%. You can make more money as an Uber driver with no headaches. This is a place to earn experience but also a place I wish never existed.

Advice to Management

Don't play with people's livelihood, be honest and upfront about how the work environment and culture is. Don't write fake reviews on your site to promote how great you are, it is a nightmare. I'm frankly shocked you haven't been sued yet due to how disrespectful the environment is.

6. "Staff Accountant"

Former Employee - Staff Accountant
    Former Employee - Staff Accountant

I worked at The Bollard Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Diverse and interesting Clientele means new challenging projects all the time. Loved working there. I enjoyed the diverse projects I had to do. I walked out of there with so many professional skills that have furthered my career. I really enjoyed working there even though it was difficult.

Cons

HR department lacks experience and personal skills. Life/work balance difficult to achieve. 100% billable made it stressful.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. Don't Micromanage them. make it 80% billable or something like that. It's unrealistic to expect employees to bill EVERY minute to a client.

7. "Accountant"

I have been working at The Bollard Group full-time

Pros

Good location. Nice people. Challenging and many opportunities to gain professional experience. Fast-paced environment.

Cons

Busy schedule to meet deadlines.

8. "Accounting"

Pros

Great location. Interesting clients. A lot to learn when working with the different clients. There's always someone to ask when you have questions. Friendly coworkers. People are willing to help if you ask. The hours aren't bad. Small company so everyone knows everyone.

Cons

Busy during tax season, which can be expected.

"3 years is a lifetime"

Former Employee - Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at The Bollard Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Stimulating environment, lots of learning opportunities.

Cons

Human resources disaster. Hostile work environment.

Advice to Management

None, this place won't change.

"(Spinnaker Capital LLC) Bait and Switch - Most Toxic Workplace ever"

I have been working at The Bollard Group full-time

Pros

None - horrible place to work. Horrible management. Everyone is hostile and mean. Face time is more important than work.

Cons

This is the worst place I have ever worked at in my life. The turnover is incredibly high. Two workers recently quit even though they had no other job lined up. The interview process took over 6 months. No negotiation of salary. Work is admin and ops, I was lied to in interviews. Management is horrible, founder is worse. Yelling, no communication, cheap firm. (no snow day pay, terrible benefits). Anti employee policies. Everyone is miserable. Weekends and late nights even though interviews don't tell you. Can't travel during tax season even if you're not a tax pro

Advice to Management

Be truthful in the interview process. You're playing with people's careers and livelihoods when you lie about the work content and culture. Be considerate of your employees' schedules. Don't wait until the end of the day to assign something. If you're late every day, don't yell at other employees who come in late.