The Borgen Project Reviews | Glassdoor

The Borgen Project Reviews

Updated Oct 8, 2019

4.0
The Borgen Project CEO Clint Borgen (no image)
Clint Borgen

"Good proffessional experiance"

PR/Marketing Intern in Seattle, WA

I have been working at The Borgen Project for less than a year

Pros

The Borgen Project is an organization that is working for a really good cause. It also provides good professional experience in a number of fields.

Cons

Most positions are unpaid.

The Borgen Project2018-04-05

"Good experience and I got to lobby a Congressman"

I worked at The Borgen Project part-time

Pros

I really enjoyed my internship experience and plan on volunteering in the future. Lobbying for the world's poor was a once in a lifetime opportunity and I learned a lot more about politics then I did majoring in Political Science.

Cons

Working remotely from any job you can feel disconnected from your team and this internship is no exception. Freedom to work from home and around class schedule more than makes up for it though.

The Borgen Project2018-01-31

"HR Intern"

I worked at The Borgen Project

Pros

Good Human Resources experience Easy and manageable work load

Cons

No Pay and no future references

The Borgen Project2018-01-17

"HR intern"

Former Employee - Human Resources Intern

I worked at The Borgen Project part-time for more than a year

Pros

If you have nothing on your resume this would look good as it says INTERN. You could sugar coat what you did and sell it.

Cons

Pretty much using you and your time to do their small work. You are REQUIRED to raise $500 in any intern position. (You arent paid at all also.) Pretty much a weird pyramid scheme but by using the word intern so it sounds more attractive. Waste of time and money. They really hassle you to ask your friends and family to donate.

Advice to Management

Have an actual location interns can go too and make them feel valued.

The Borgen Project2018-01-24

"Not worth your time"

PR/Marketing Intern in Seattle, WA

I worked at The Borgen Project for more than a year

Pros

Well organized Online, people from all over the world have an opportunity to become involved in an important cause

Cons

Zero compensation for time or work Poor/rude management Unrealistic expectations Lack of communication with staff No communication with CEO Minimum of $500 asked to raise with no proof of what it is going towards

Advice to Management

Respect your interns. Understand people are taking time to volunteer and have other obligations that will come before an unpaid internship.

The Borgen Project2017-12-01

"Regional Director Review"

Regional Director in Seattle, WA

I have been working at The Borgen Project

Pros

I have learned a lot throughout the process, in all different aspects of The Borgen Project, and believe it will improve my resume.

Cons

No pay for interns or reimbursement for gas when we are driving sometimes over an hour to meet with a senator or representative.

Advice to Management

Show more love to your interns!

The Borgen Project2017-04-16

"Ok Internship"

Human Resources Intern in Seattle, WA

I worked at The Borgen Project

Pros

It was telecommute, therefore making it accessible to more people. The interview process was very easy and the managers are passionate about their jobs.

Cons

The fundraising expectation is quite high considering the number of interns the Borgen Project has at a time. Tasks felt somewhat tedious at first but started to have real meaning at the end. No mobility after the internship.

The Borgen Project2017-01-17

"Journalist"

I have been working at The Borgen Project

Pros

Caring and easy to work with supervisors/managers. Chance to have published 21 articles. I did get the opportunity to write the Education for All Act Advocacy letter to be used by The Borgen Project and it's volunteers, so that was a plus. You feel like you're making a difference in writing your articles to inform the public about global poverty misconceptions. I learned a lot researching content for my articles.... Management is understanding if you need to omit a week if you have other things going on. You become more politically involved in the lobbying and advocacy of global poverty reducing legislation with your congressional representative which are very valuable skills.

Cons

Unpaid. High expectations in fundraising a mandatory minimum of $500 or your internship is marked incomplete, 25 hours of internship must go towards fundraising efforts. Felt disconnected from Seattle HQ since internship was telecommute, even more so now that there is no more monthly call ins to learn about the state of the union each month for the Borgen Project. Editing your articles takes forever, I am on Week 8... and I have only had one article published. The others are in very early stages of the editorial process. Some of the week's tasks can be very mundane and can cost you money (I.e. postage in sending fundraising letters to HQ and letters to congressional representatives). No paid jobs to work towards and hardly any incentive. I was very enthusiastic to start but now I am ready for it to end. As my internship went on I felt that they only care about the money you can raise and that they'd just hire anyone. I don't think it's as competitive of an internship as they make it out to be. No one in my family or any my friends new about The Borgen Project and I feel like most employers will be to same way in seeing an internship OK my resume they know nothing about.

Advice to Management

Reform google spreadsheet to make articles easier to locate. Create a separate internship just for fundraising. Give your interns at least some kind of incentives, the mobilizing contest was nice. Continue with those, it gives us all something to work towards since we are working for free. More in-depth training and feedback to improve my writing skills would be more beneficial. Give your interns more career... connections and ways to make these connections enabling us to land jobs coming out of internships with the Borgen Project since the Borgen Project has no paid jobs to work into. Atleast help us in career development in using this internship on our resume to land full time jobs at the close of our internships. Clint Borgen needs to be more involved in encouraging his interns. I feel as though he is very distant. I learned more in training about him and his laptop on a boat dock in Alaska then about global poverty.

The Borgen Project2016-10-16

"Unorganized Non-Profit with Unrealistic Expectations"

I worked at The Borgen Project

Pros

- Telecommuting: working from home is nice, especially if you are a student and/or working a (paid) job - Alleviating global poverty is a noble cause

Cons

- Insufficient training - Weekly activities are either extremely mundane or unrealistically difficult - They require that you post on your personal social media page - They require you raise $500 during your internship - You have to write to 15+ friends/relatives asking them to donate to The Borgen Project - If you choose the congressional affairs PR track, you have to set up meetings with your congressional... leaders without any knowledge of how to plan a lobbying meeting and no help from The Borgen Project staff - Though there are monthly phone conferences, interns feel very disconnected from HQ - Some supervisors don't respond to emails until almost a week later Your time would be more valuable spent volunteering than interning here.

Advice to Management

- Create a separate internship dedicated to fundraising - Actually train the interns - Be realistic about goals and expectations

The Borgen Project2016-10-04

"Human Resource Intern"

Human Resources Internship in Seattle, WA

I worked at The Borgen Project

Pros

Great learning experience. The internship has three parts to it. These are HR(Recruiting), Political, and Fundraising. Really enjoyed all three parts of them, and had a blast during the internship.

Cons

The only complaint people can have is not having enough focus on HR.

The Borgen Project2016-08-17