The Borgen Project Reviews | Glassdoor

The Borgen Project Reviews

Updated Oct 8, 2019

4.0
The Borgen Project CEO Clint Borgen (no image)
Clint Borgen

"Good first NGO experience"

PR and Visual Editor in Seattle, WA

I worked at The Borgen Project

Pros

Good first step into the world of NGOs. The interview was easy and the work load it very doable.

Cons

The weekly phone meetings were often pointless. It can be difficult to fundraise.

Advice to Management

Keep fighting for this great cause. Maybe instead of phone meetings each week try and encourage interns working in the same area to gather and discuss their progress.

The Borgen Project2015-10-13
  2. "Learned a Ton!"

I worked at The Borgen Project part-time

Pros

Terrific group of people who are compassionate about helping others. Good place to learn about politics, advocacy and global issues.

Cons

I can't really think of any, but more meetings would be nice.

Advice to Management

Try to find more ways to engage people working out of the office.

The Borgen Project2015-09-16
  3. "Good group of people"

I worked at The Borgen Project part-time for less than a year

Pros

Very nice group of people to work with. Everyone is passionate about making a difference and easy to get along with.

Cons

Everyone likes that the organization does a lot with a small budget, but for employees that really limits your job growth there.

Advice to Management

More career opportunities.

The Borgen Project2015-09-08

"Good opportunity, limited engagement"

News & Content Writer in Seattle, WA

I worked at The Borgen Project

Pros

The Borgen Project does good things and if you are trying to become a writer for their online blog or magazine, it will really help you hone your research and writing skills and can open doors for other jobs. may jobs are now looking for some blog writing experience. they also have monthly conference calls which have great guest speakers, are informative and make you feel like part of a team.

Cons

working remotely can make you feel like you are not part of a team. nothing they can do about it, so it isn't a knock on them, just what comes with the job. they do their best to keep in contact with you. however, when I was working they had a few editors for over 120 content writers. everything was backlogged and you just felt like a number. even with those 120 writers, they expect everyone to submit three articles... per week. the problem was that this doesn't allow enough time to do sufficient research and many articles came out looking like they were just cleverly copied and pasted from other news sources. many of the writing was subpar and innaccurate.

Advice to Management

try and balance out the editors to content writer ratio and rather than filling up your blog with fluff and clickbait try and have people write in depth analysis that will actually contribute to your end goals and attract more praise. basically, raise the bar.

The Borgen Project2015-09-15

"Horrible"

I worked at The Borgen Project

Pros

None that I can think of right now.

Cons

Everything under the sun dude.

Advice to Management

Quit

The Borgen Project2015-08-19

"Volunteer advocate"

Volunteer Advocate in Rockwall, TX

I worked at The Borgen Project for less than a year

Pros

it works well with your schedule because the work is online!

Cons

The conference calls are time consuming sometimes.

The Borgen Project2015-06-23
  7. "Borgen Project Staff Writer"

I worked at The Borgen Project

Pros

Friendly and helpful staff who are passionate about the work being done. Managers provide feedback and are always available if you have questions. Weekly conference calls provided the opportunity to listen to experts speak.

Cons

Although an incredibly valuable experience, the position is unpaid.

The Borgen Project2015-06-29

"Overall beneficial experience"

I worked at The Borgen Project

Pros

Great people and Seattle is a very cool area. Learning about non profits and yourself as an individual is a great starting point for a career

Cons

The environment is very micromanaged, their is no compensation, sometimes the work is mundane and might leave you bored. Some of the job titles do not specify exactly what you will be doing

Advice to Management

Listen to employees suggestions

The Borgen Project2015-01-19

"One disappointing internship"

I worked at The Borgen Project

Pros

There cannot be a single good thing that I can think of, mainly because all that they do would not teach a single thing, serve no purpose, and are pure hideous.

Cons

From the title of the internship till the work one does, everything is a sham. There is absolutely no work which makes any sort of sense. There is a list of highly useless tasks which serve no purpose, and are a complete waste of time and effort. At the drop of the hat, they wish to do fundraising and leave no opportunity to ask money. The best thing is when you ask them what do they do for fundraising, they remain... as clueless as any outsider. I feel bad for all those just out of college folks (including me), who try to build a career on this note. My advice: Please do not waste your time here.

Advice to Management

Please have some list of sensible tasks. This organization has been around for so long. The basic meaning of internship is, when an individual learns something out of the entire experience. I agree it is unpaid, the least you can do is have something useful and when they complete the internship, they should be proud to put this experience on their resume and not be shameful.

The Borgen Project2014-12-19

"Positive group of people"

Current Employee - Intern

I have been working at The Borgen Project part-time for less than a year

Pros

The people are great. The office is nice. I liked my fellow interns and I enjoyed working with Clint and Dayna. I would recommend working here.

Cons

I'd like to see bigger investments made in fundraising. The organization hardly invests anything in fundraising, which donors like, but honestly I think it does limit the organization in the long-term.

Advice to Management

Spending more on fundraising.

The Borgen Project2014-10-03