The Borgen Project Writer Intern Reviews | Glassdoor

The Borgen Project Writer Intern Reviews

Updated Sep 25, 2019

3.4
The Borgen Project CEO Clint Borgen (no image)
Clint Borgen
  1. "I loved interning for The Borgen Project!!"

Former Intern - Writer Intern

I worked at The Borgen Project for less than a year

Pros

Builds experience Learn about global poverty Learn about politics and government Grow and improve as a writer Learn about SEO Pick your own schedule

Cons

no cons, the experience was extremely positive.

The Borgen Project2019-09-25
  2. "Unpaid Writer Internship"

Former Intern - Writer Intern in Fort Myers, FL

I worked at The Borgen Project for less than a year

Pros

A remote Writer Internship. This was a great experience for me to improve my writing and research skills plus getting credit for the articles I had written. I asked a lot of questions during the internship and received quick responses. The Content Team Manager, Tatiana, was great. Everyone was nice and friendly. I would say it was definitely worth it to participate in this internship! I really enjoyed it!

Cons

The fundraising was a disaster for me and way outside of my comfort zone. This was the main thing I had a problem with during the internship. I would have liked to stay on at The Borgen Project but there was no salary or stipend offered.

Advice to Management

Please bear in mind that those of us with work or family obligations might find it difficult to really do a heavy duty fundraiser as you suggest. Maybe pick one Team Leader from each group and let them do the fundraiser instead of trying to have individuals create fundraisers. Those in larger cities are always going to have a better advantage than someone in a rural area. Just sayin'...

The Borgen Project2019-04-28

"INCOMPETENCE REIGNS"

Former Intern - Writer Intern in Seattle, WA

I worked at The Borgen Project for less than a year

Pros

Allowed me to build up my resume, which can be accomplished without The Borgen Project; therefore, my advice to all new writers out there -- go elsewhere for your experience.

Cons

Unpaid interns (even writing interns) are required to lobby Congress and fundraise to earn money for The Borgen Project. Therefore, you are working to pay them. The Editorial Department is INCOMPETENT and INCAPABLE. As as writing intern, you expect to see your articles published in a timely manner, not 2 or 3 (or more) months after you've submitted them, and that's after following up with management. Who knows how... long it would take the Editorial Department to publish writing interns' articles if they weren't their own advocates. If you want to see your work published during your internship, good luck. I had to follow-up on a regular basis with my "managers" to even get a status update, and all I got was a response email with a condescending tone. Also, there is the problem with Editors creating errors in a Writer's articles. It is obvious the Editors are not fluent in the English language and/or do not have a grasp of English grammar. A writing intern should not have to fact-check an Editor's work (and spend hours for each article doing so) just to ensure an article accurately reflects their talent and skills -- especially after the Writer has spent days researching and writing an article. And if you're lucky enough to get an article published, hopefully it stays published. One of my articles was published then mysteriously disappeared. I had to call The Borgen Project to find out what happened. Apparently, it was a "domain problem" and needed to be republished. Finally, when a Writer who has completed their internship reaches out to both the head of the Editorial Department and the CEO via emails for weeks about getting their articles published and fixing a new set of errors (created by a Borgen Project Editor) in their final articles (which were submitted months earlier) it's recommended that you answer emails and not dismiss your former writing interns on the phone by saying "We get a lot of emails. We've done all we can for you. We've published your articles," then hang up on them. I guess quality assurance, accuracy, and credibility aren't of the utmost importance to The Borgen Project, only money. I assume the Borgen Magazine and Borgen Project blog are fronts for their lobbying (which is one they really are at the heart of it all.) It's pretty evident, especially when you tell your writers what topics they can and cannot write about in their articles because it will upset one political party or another and hurt The Borgen Project's agenda. Smells like censorship to me.

Advice to Management

Clint (and the rest of the skeleton crew at The Borgen Project) LISTEN and RESPOND to the interns. Without them you wouldn't exist. And Clint, hire more people (maybe some of your past interns) so that you aren't operating on a skeleton crew. AND, if you invite back your writers because their work was so stellar, PAY THEM. Don't find that legal loophole and make it a volunteer writing position but still call it a... Feature Writer position. STOP PREYING ON NEWCOMERS.

The Borgen Project2019-04-09
  4. "Not Much Guidance"

Current Intern - Writer Intern

I have been working at The Borgen Project for less than a year

Pros

Opportunity to write articles raising awareness for global poverty

Cons

The lack of accountability in this organization is baffling. I've written seven articles so far, only three have been published, and without an adequate explanation. But most appalling is how they expect you to raise $500, without providing a detailed account of their financials, or how the funds are allocated. Seems like a pretty key detail when you're asking a potential donor for their support.

The Borgen Project2019-02-12
  5. "Internship benefits The Borgen Project, not the intern"

Former Intern - Writer Intern in Atlanta, GA

I worked at The Borgen Project for less than a year

Pros

Interns end up with 45+ published articles.

Cons

Borgen staff expects each intern to fundraise $500 for The Borgen Project, which wouldn't be entirely ludicrous if the internship were not unpaid. As an intern, I felt as though the only purpose I served was to take advantage of the generosity of my friends and family to support The Borgen Project financially. Not cool.

Advice to Management

Don't take interns to make money -- take interns to spread support for your mission!

The Borgen Project2016-12-19

"Writer Intern - Great Organization"

Writer Intern in Freehold, NJ

I worked at The Borgen Project for less than a year

Pros

They work for a really good cause and the supervisors are very attentive to the interns.

Cons

the internship was not paid

The Borgen Project2016-08-11