The Borgen Project "learned a lot" Reviews | Glassdoor

The Borgen Project Employee Reviews about "learned a lot"

Updated Oct 8, 2019

4.0
The Borgen Project CEO Clint Borgen (no image)
Clint Borgen
Pros
  • "If you needed an extension for your articles they would give you one, they're really understanding(in 17 reviews)

• "Lobbying for the world's poor was a once in a lifetime opportunity and I learned a lot more about politics then I did majoring in Political Science(in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • "Fundraising is hard if you are by yourself in a city(in 46 reviews)

• "Sometimes approvals for the articles take a little longer than expected, even if topics are submitted early(in 14 reviews)

Reviews about "learned a lot"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Overview of the position"

Former Employee - Political Affairs Intern

I worked at The Borgen Project part-time

Pros

Good experience and nice meeting congressional staffers. Get to learn a lot about US bills.

Cons

Fundraising is hard if you are by yourself in a city

The Borgen Project2019-10-08

"Good experience and I got to lobby a Congressman"

I worked at The Borgen Project part-time

Pros

I really enjoyed my internship experience and plan on volunteering in the future. Lobbying for the world's poor was a once in a lifetime opportunity and I learned a lot more about politics then I did majoring in Political Science.

Cons

Working remotely from any job you can feel disconnected from your team and this internship is no exception. Freedom to work from home and around class schedule more than makes up for it though.

The Borgen Project2018-01-31
  3. Create your profile to get personalized information

"Regional Director Review"

Regional Director in Seattle, WA

I have been working at The Borgen Project

Pros

I have learned a lot throughout the process, in all different aspects of The Borgen Project, and believe it will improve my resume.

Cons

No pay for interns or reimbursement for gas when we are driving sometimes over an hour to meet with a senator or representative.

The Borgen Project2017-04-16

"Journalist"

I have been working at The Borgen Project

Pros

Caring and easy to work with supervisors/managers. Chance to have published 21 articles. I did get the opportunity to write the Education for All Act Advocacy letter to be used by The Borgen Project and it's volunteers, so that was a plus. You feel like you're making a difference in writing your articles to inform the public about global poverty misconceptions. I learned a lot researching content for my articles. Management is understanding if you need to omit a week if you have other things going on. You become more politically involved in the lobbying and advocacy of global poverty reducing legislation with your congressional representative which are very valuable skills.

Cons

Unpaid. High expectations in fundraising a mandatory minimum of $500 or your internship is marked incomplete, 25 hours of internship must go towards fundraising efforts. Felt disconnected from Seattle HQ since internship was telecommute, even more so now that there is no more monthly call ins to learn about the state of the union each month for the Borgen Project. Editing your articles takes forever, I am on Week 8 and I have only had one article published. The others are in very early stages of the editorial process. Some of the week's tasks can be very mundane and can cost you money (I.e. postage in sending fundraising letters to HQ and letters to congressional representatives). No paid jobs to work towards and hardly any incentive. I was very enthusiastic to start but now I am ready for it to end. As my internship went on I felt that they only care about the money you can raise and that they'd just hire anyone. I don't think it's as competitive of an internship as they make it out to be. No one in my family or any my friends new about The Borgen Project and I feel like most employers will be to same way in seeing an internship OK my resume they know nothing about.

The Borgen Project2016-10-16

"You learn a lot!"

Political Affairs Intern in Remote, OR

I have been working at The Borgen Project

Pros

It is entirely self paced so you learn a lot. It also forces you to be active in reaching out to people and pushes you out of your comfort zone.

Cons

Supervisors communicate with you remotely. With a lot of remote interns, it is hard to get concerns addressed in a timely manner.

The Borgen Project2016-07-17