The Boston Beer Company Reviews | Glassdoor

The Boston Beer Company President and CEO Martin Roper
Martin Roper

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work/life balance could be better (in 21 reviews)

• t treat a stray dog the way middle management treats whistle-blowing employees that question decisions that directly affect them (in 9 reviews)

1. "Account manager"

I have been working at The Boston Beer Company full-time

Pros

Love it here. Great benefits

Cons

Work life balance is a struggle

2. "BBC"

I have been working at The Boston Beer Company full-time

Pros

You're in the alcohol industry, which can come off as glamorous. There's lots of training.

Cons

Extremely high paced and high pressure driven. The company influences and holds employees responsible for things it has no control over and sets unrealistic goals. The industry is so dynamic that management has no reality of current market demands.

Advice to Management

Keep it simple.

3. "A Great Place to Grow"

Current Employee - District Manager in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - District Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at The Boston Beer Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunities for growth and worker training.

Cons

Long-term pressures in the craft-beer industry.

Advice to Management

Don't chase trends - create them and stay true to who you are.

"Packaging Area Supervisor"

Former Employee - Packaging Supervisor in Breinigsville, PA
    Former Employee - Packaging Supervisor in Breinigsville, PA

I worked at The Boston Beer Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free Beer. There are some great folks in the hourly pool.

Cons

Management is a wreck in packaging. Downright nasty at times, HR does nothing despite numerous (broken) promises and complete astonishment when they were told how we were treated. Had a manager tell me flat out that I had no discernible personality. Supervisors were thrown around between shifts, often with a week's notice or less, forced to work nights and weekends or even rotate shifts (with weekends in between so you might have 24 hours to flip shifts), job description was constantly changed.

Advice to Management

Treat your supervisors like humans, not robot babysitters. And for Boston mgmt, accept what your market position really is and own it. You can't compete with the microbreweries any more, but you've got some really good stuff if you'd just sell it right.

The Boston Beer Company Response

Aug 3, 2017 – Recruiting Coordinator

I’m really sorry to hear about your experience in Packaging at our PA Brewery. Thank you for your feedback - it takes all of us openly talking about our culture to make it successful. I’m sharing... More

"Sales"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at The Boston Beer Company full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Solid product line up of great beers. Great PTO policy especially when starting out. You get 22 days of PTO after two years.

Cons

Asking a lot of the employees, especially those on the street daily. Don't have time to take PTO. You are not shunned for taking it but if you do you come back to triple the work and not very relaxed.

Offer a open door policy of "discuss the undiscussables" but in reality you have a good chance of being penalized.

The division managers and upper management make all of the decisions and often times out of touch with reality. I realize they need to push more but when you are pushing brands that aren't growing it does get frustrating to listen to all of the time.

Moral is down and a lot of people will be leaving by the end of the year. It is such as shame as the company had a lot of potential but made several bad decisions on pricing, brand marketing and beer styles.

Advice to Management

You have loyal employees but the loyalty is starting to be tarnished. I realize you are focused on the long term but if the short term is not fixed there will be no long term.

"Brewery Rep Role a mixed bag"

Current Employee - Brewery Representative
    Current Employee - Brewery Representative

I have been working at The Boston Beer Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Couldn't ask for a better foot into the industry. All kinds of corporate training from Day 1. Selling Skills, Negotiations, Beer Education training every two months or so in Boston. Sets you up well for a career with them or for your next job with a wholesaler or another craft brewer (if you wait out the one-year non-compete).

Pay is pretty solid. If you're smart with your money, you can pay your bills, live comfortably, and put some money away in your early 20's.

PTO is good. 17 days to start, 22 after two years. And they encourage you to use it.

Opportunities for upward mobility (if you are willing to relocate).

Cons

Work-life balance is horrible. Expectations are that you constantly do multiple tastings and promotions per week. These are outdated and ineffective ways of trying to sell beer. You don't see many other companies doing these things. It's a lot of 10 and 12 hour days, and a lot of working on Saturdays as well.

The core drinker base is getting older and isn't being replaced with new, younger drinkers. Unsustainable.

People are leaving left and right. I feel like I get a farewell email or two every Friday. That being said, a lot of the same people have been around for a really long time, which is a good thing and a bad thing. Company loyalty is great, but fresh ideas and new lines of thinking are great too.

The industry in general is an absolute snake pit. There isn't a product on the market to the American consumer with a more fickle, unpredictable, and oftentimes nonsensical buying behavior than craft beer. The pieces of the pie are getting smaller and smaller with every new brewery that opens up. The US beer market can't support 5,000 breweries. Go figure.

Overall, this company is on the way down. Craft beer and cider are experiencing drinker favoritism of local and regional brands, not national brands. Sam Adams will always do fine in New England, but it wouldn't be surprising to see the company pull out of some markets where there isn't a strong foothold and too much local competition (California, Oregon, Washington) in the next five years. Thank goodness for the diversification of the portfolio, because without Twisted Tea, this company would be dead.

Advice to Management

You talk about how important the sales force is going to be to returning the company to growth and you invest all of these resources into training us, so maybe you should listen to what we have to say about product/programming ideas instead of doing random focus groups.

And if you ask us for our thoughts, opinions, and feedback, it's probably best to do it BEFORE you've made a decision. Asking what we think about something after a decision has already been made and money has been spent comes across as incredibly disingenuous.

You might want to consider putting some people in brand development who have EVER sold ANYTHING in their lives. There needs to be a clear path from sales to brand and the stigma around leaving sales to go work in the office needs to go away. Bringing people into brand who have been in the market recently and have been trained in the BBC selling process are valuable assets to brand. Brand's communication with the rest of the company is AWFUL. Salespeople know how to talk to other salespeople and what they need to have to make an initiative successful.

"Brewery Representative"

I worked at The Boston Beer Company full-time

Pros

Great company culture. It truly feels like a small business and access to upper management is a great perk. The company cares about your career development.
     They invest a lot of time and money into sales/beer training. Great benefits.

Cons

I had a great manager. However, the company's strict adherence to "hire from within" is a bad policy. Numerous managers had no business in their positions...especially when they didn't know how to manage people. The compensation structure isn't competitive compared to others in the industry. Jim Koch is a pioneer, but innovation is lagging and the company is falling behind.

Advice to Management

"Hire from within" has to go. Sometimes its good to bring in outside opinions/experience.

8. "The Boston Beer Company"

Former Employee - Region Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Region Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at The Boston Beer Company full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Treated like adults

Access to Sr Management

The "FU rule"

Cons

Recent hypocrisy of reality vs stated culture

9. "Finance"

I worked at The Boston Beer Company full-time

Pros

Culture is unbeatable! Tons of perks!

Cons

Work/life balance has declined unfortunately

"Didn't last long"

I worked at The Boston Beer Company full-time

Pros

Boston Beer company really cares about your knowledge of beer and really makes it fun to learn. They fly you out to Boston for your on boarding

Cons

Unfortunately the management was not great in my area so I didn't feel like I had the support needed to do well in this business.